Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: I need to confess something, we blew it for the ages.

  1. #16
    Member CoolRunnings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, Bay Ridge NY
    Posts
    482
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Just read this about Chandler. He is overpaid there is no question and this will put it to rest. His 14 million dollar a year contract will burry us. Like I have been saying please dont refer to Amare, Melo and Chandler as the big 3. Chandler is not and will never be an elite player in this league to be put in any top/ big 3 category. (Melo and STAT are Elite).


    Read this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


    First, let us review the contract, it is worth $58 million over four years, with the first year starting at plus $12 million. This contract increases as time wears on.
    Here's the list of players making within $3 million of Chandler:
    Josh Smith (12.4), Al Horford (12), Paul Pierce (15.3), Carlos Boozer (13.5), Luol Deng (12.3), Antawn Jamison (15.1), Danny Granger (12), [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] (16), [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] (16), Dwyane Wade (15.7), Andrew Bogut (12), Deron Williams (16.4), Andre Iguodala (13.5), Elton Brand (17.1), Jason Terry (11.7), David Lee (11.6), Kevin Martin (11.5), Chris Kaman (12.6), Andrew Bynum (14.9), Zach Randolph (15.2), Rudy Gay (15), [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] (16.4), Emeka Okafor (12.6), Kevin Durant (13.6), Steve Nash (11.7), LaMarcus Aldridge (12.6), Manu Ginobili (11.9), Tony Parker (12.5), Al Jefferson (14).
    I look at this list and see about two players that Chandler is better than: Jamison, and Brand. Prior to those contracts being signed, those two players were far better than Chandler is now in terms of skills, dominance, and marketability.

  2. #17
    Nein, Mann! Lercher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    This list doesn't include other centers signings that took place this offseason, Nene - $13M, Gasol - $12.9M, Jordan - $10.7M... BTW, Cuban offered Tyson one year deal worth $20M...

  3. #18
    Member CoolRunnings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, Bay Ridge NY
    Posts
    482
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    This list doesn't include other centers signings that took place this offseason, Nene - $13M, Gasol - $12.9M, Jordan - $10.7M... BTW, Cuban offered Tyson one year deal worth $20M...

    I just realized that looked like I wrote it. Its an excerpt from the article I placed a link for. Even though Cuban offered him 20 mil for one year does that translate into us panicking offering him that much money? My point is 60 mil dollar contracts are reserved for great players. I do realize thats alot easier said than done but however 60 million for tyson chandler is kind of high.

    He is injury prone, hasn't played more than 30 min a game since being on the hornets. He also has a tendency to be in foul trouble. This will pose a lot of problems espicaially with our lack of depth in our bigs. Also we need to keep in consideration that a New Yorks offensive style is a lot faster than Dallas. So those minutes he logged in last year will be different than those this year. (Keep in mind that he was drafted out of High School and he's 29 years old 7'1-250 lbs with a brand new 4 year contract).

    All I'm saying is that contract places us in a position to not make any other moves to improve overall. If I'm not mistaken we dont have a first round pick this year, and the only players coming off the books next year are walker, fields and davis.

  4. #19
    KnicksonLIN.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I agree with metrocard on Tyson Chandler. He is overrated and overpaid. The guy played alongside Eddy Curry in a horrible Chicago Bulls team. Enough said. Tyson Chandler is going to wash up with the quickness.

    And I'm tired of people acting like the Mavericks won a championship cause of Tyson Chandler.
    Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry is why the Mavericks won the title.

    As for the Carmelo Anthony trade, I think it was a good move. He is an elite scorer, so the Knicks can use him as a trading piece in the future. The only thing he needs to desperately work on is his passing ability. He is too much of an isolation player.

  5. #20
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thanks for your replies guys, I just had to get it off my chest.

    I understand the deals been made, and its time to move on...and that I will do and support this team 100%...it's just not a good gut feeling about our teams success.

    I don't know what the NBA is doing with overpaying these centers. This is why they had a lockout.

    Nene is a favorite players of mines but I'm realistic here. He's fragile and not consistent to get a 60 mil contract.

    DeAndre Jordan hasn't played 30 minutes per game in a season...there should be a rule on limiting the amount of these signings to role players.

    Its nuts right now...anyone remember the Rashard Lewis trade? He's the second highest paid player in the NBA behind Kobe right now. #epicfail.

  6. #21
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    The Knicks ****ed up, Donnie didnt want this but im hoping it can still work out with the right pieces mixed in. Im looking forward to seeing Shumpert back soon its been torture watching some of these other guards fail. I think a better coach would be key to getting the most out of this team

  7. #22
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    Thanks for your replies guys, I just had to get it off my chest.

    I understand the deals been made, and its time to move on...and that I will do and support this team 100%...it's just not a good gut feeling about our teams success.

    I don't know what the NBA is doing with overpaying these centers. This is why they had a lockout.

    Nene is a favorite players of mines but I'm realistic here. He's fragile and not consistent to get a 60 mil contract.

    DeAndre Jordan hasn't played 30 minutes per game in a season...there should be a rule on limiting the amount of these signings to role players.

    Its nuts right now...anyone remember the Rashard Lewis trade? He's the second highest paid player in the NBA behind Kobe right now. #epicfail.
    I understand your trepidaton - but the way Tyson protected the rim in the finals is something this team hasn't had since Oakley and Mason were patrolling the paint.

    Over-paid? Maybe - but that's the going rate. We aren't getting a competent center at $8 mil...hell KWAME BROWN got a 7 mil deal.

  8. #23
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Maybe I'm still in resent from the Jerome James deal. I don't favor the concept of signing a center who preforms well in the playoffs to a giant contract.

  9. #24
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    Maybe I'm still in resent from the Jerome James deal. I don't favor the concept of signing a center who preforms well in the playoffs to a giant contract.
    Fair enough - but I cannot agree at all with the thought that he had nothing to do with the Mavs win of the title. The way he protected the rim was huge for them.

    Plus - I like him setting our guys up for a good defensive set.

  10. #25
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    If we had to do the Melo deal again then we should 100 times, he's already shown against Boston in game 2 last year why.

    I love Gallo, I love what he did and I still follow his progress but he's not Melo.

    Chandler was a player I always saw as overrated.

    Mozgov was like Bambi on ice and Randolph was more hit than miss.

    The only player I really miss from the point of view of not being able to replace him was Felton.

  11. #26

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    This team was built to sell tickets and please the impatient and ignorant NY fans, not win a championship.
    Gotta admit, NY is a money town. Championships? Screw the championships; we got money!

    Well, going to MSG/TWC/stuff I'd rather not think about.

    I still like the 'Melo trade; we got a first-rate G in Chauncey Billups (even though he was injured for the playoffs), a hometown hero in Anthony, Curry finally left, and the Knicks had good building blocks to get Tyson and got really lucky in landing Shumpy. I doubt Mozgov would be getting minutes with MD'A like he is with Karl in Denver.

    Right now, we have a pretty deep frontcourt. We just need a better backcourt dynamic.

  12. #27
    Veteran Wargames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by pakopako
    Gotta admit, NY is a money town. Championships? Screw the championships; we got money!

    Well, going to MSG/TWC/stuff I'd rather not think about.

    I still like the 'Melo trade; we got a first-rate G in Chauncey Billups (even though he was injured for the playoffs), a hometown hero in Anthony, Curry finally left, and the Knicks had good building blocks to get Tyson and got really lucky in landing Shumpy. I doubt Mozgov would be getting minutes with MD'A like he is with Karl in Denver.

    Right now, we have a pretty deep frontcourt. We just need a better backcourt dynamic.
    Tell that to the Met fan around some Yankee fans. Honestly the only reason I think Dolan even is trying to put a better quality team out their is that he knows if the Nets come here and win first the Knicks will be background fodder forever.... I mean the Mets have won championships and they're still treated as a second tier team by the general populace who has no real allegiance to either team.

    Anyhow like someone said put it in perspective. The knicks paid tyson 15. That is less than the warriors wanted to give him for the same years, and he turned down 20 million straight up for one year and the possibilty for more (if Dwight & deron goes to the Nets). We didn't overpay for him, look at the Mavs now for evidence.

    Also the Knicks didn't bid against themselves for Baron Davis services (like they would have under Zeke) and he accepted the vet minimum to help the team. Nor did they trade what little depth they had for Jamal Crawford to create a second blackhole on offense. They also have some money to throw at Kenyon Martin still (though maybe they should of brought Stevenson in but that might hurt the development of shumpert). They actually have a roster and have drafted well the last two years.

    They're playing smart... they may not be smart..... but at least they're trying to pretend their best to look smart.
    Last edited by Wargames; Jan 04, 2012 at 05:53.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •