Only MDA

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It's tough.

D'Antoni coached some damn good players. Even on defense (Shawn Marion, Raja Bell).

But what the hell has he done in NY? He let a raw talent with the potential to become a double-double guy rot on the bench in Anthony Randolph. He let a big man like Jordan Hill with a decent jumpshot and good hustle sit on the bench in lieu of Jared Jeffries. I don't get this shit and neither should anybody else...

STAT not playing defense is on STAT. Never "taught" how to play defense? We're not talking about complicated schemes here, we're talking about basic shit like staying in front of your guy and boxing out. High schoolers know to do that. If STAT doesn't, then that's his own fault.

I just don't get it how D'Antoni had several 60+ win seasons in Phoenix...and don't say it was all about Nash, they missed the Playoffs last year WITH Nash!

I think we played good basketball and made the most of our very weak roster when D'Antoni arrived in 2008.

His type of basketball is sooo 2004 though, SSOL has been exposed, every half decent coach knows how to beat that system by now. It had kind of a surprise and overwhelming effect on opposing teams while it was still fresh and 'en vogue'. It's just washed up and outcoached now.

Havin said that, we don't even play SSOL anymor since the Melo trade. What we play is the worst basketball I've ever seen, no movement, no concept, no inside game - nothing just taking 3 after 3 or isolating Melo on the wing with no help whatsoever.

This is bullshit like I haven't seen before!

All D'Antoni ever had to offer as a coach was SSOL, it worked well for him while it was relatively new and with the best PG (at that time) in the business guiding the offense.
It even worked pretty well with a shit roster in New York in his first season.

He's absolutely the wrong coach now though.
I say we won't even make the Playoffs if he stays all season.

quiggle

Starter
he's probably doing this on purpose so that the team loses and he sticks it into management for trading away Gallo and getting rid of Walsh, really what allies does he have on the team? hes being fed to the wolves

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
The problem is European basketball is way different, chucking 3's is caused by very physical interior defense, most of NBA fouls would never be called in Euroleague, that's why the ball is often kicked back behind the arc.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I just don't get it how D'Antoni had several 60+ win seasons in Phoenix...and don't say it was all about Nash, they missed the Playoffs last year WITH Nash!

I think we played good basketball and made the most of our very weak roster when D'Antoni arrived in 2008.

His type of basketball is sooo 2004 though, SSOL has been exposed, every half decent coach knows how to beat that system by now. It had kind of a surprise and overwhelming effect on opposing teams while it was still fresh and 'en vogue'. It's just washed up and outcoached now.

Havin said that, we don't even play SSOL anymor since the Melo trade. What we play is the worst basketball I've ever seen, no movement, no concept, no inside game - nothing just taking 3 after 3 or isolating Melo on the wing with no help whatsoever.

This is bullshit like I haven't seen before!

All D'Antoni ever had to offer as a coach was SSOL, it worked well for him while it was relatively new and with the best PG (at that time) in the business guiding the offense.
It even worked pretty well with a shit roster in New York in his first season.

He's absolutely the wrong coach now though.
I say we won't even make the Playoffs if he stays all season.

That's the shit I don't get though. As bad as SSOL was and as much as D'Antoni was beaten pretty soundly by Popovich (although that one year Amar'e had to sit because of a fight was messed up, I think the Suns could've gone all the way that year), D'Antoni showed a lot of good coaching in Phoenix. Steve Nash credits D'Antoni for his game (and the stats too, Nash's numbers in Phoenix take a noticeable upswing in both passing and shooting), Amar'e credits D'Antoni for his game, and D'Antoni has been on the coaching end of many really good two-way players like Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, etc.

How the hell, then, are the Knicks so bad? Did D'Antoni seriously just luck out and every single decent two-way player fell into his hands and he happened upon four great three-point shooters, two All-NBA defensive players and quite possibly the greatest point guard on offense ever in the past 20 years (and, probably the most mechanically and Basketball-IQ best player of all time).

I wasn't a huge fan of the D'Antoni style when it first came here, but I supported him in his early years because I thought he was going to bring to New York the type of game that we saw in Phoenix. The Suns were a fast-paced team built around good shooting created by a point guard who could consistently find the open man - and their game relied heavily on HUSTLE.

The Knicks the way they played against the Raptors could not look more lethargic.

Wargames

Starter
In D'antoni defense Anthony Ramdolph sucks as a player. He is a liability on both defense and offense. The only reason he has any success is if hia teammates compensate for his weaknesses. Everything else is true. Maybe tanking those two years ruined him. Though as someone said he may just see the writing on the wall. They traded hia God Son and Walsh who looked out for him out of loyalty is gone.

There are already rumbling Phil Jackson want to come out of retirement again after skipping a shortened season (apparently 82 is a real zen type of number). Also the knicks getting a center instead of a HOF PG means that they are no longer picking their roster based on his preferred player personnel.

Lastly how do you say your players didnt run the play you wanted and they both answer that you told them do what they want? What kind of coaching is that? Bad coaching is what that is.....

LOL.

Jorts Shot 10 3 pointers the entire year last year for Kentucky. Keep in mind the 3 point line is closer than the NBA 3.

Jorts has already shot 15, that's right 15 3 pointers for the Knicks in 5 games. That's 3 a game.

This coach is an absolute JOKE...

LOL.

Jorts Shot 10 3 pointers the entire year last year for Kentucky. Keep in mind the 3 point line is closer than the NBA 3.

Jorts has already shot 15, that's right 15 3 pointers for the Knicks in 5 games. That's 3 a game.

And there were no 'Fire D'Antoni' chants at MSG against the Craptors.....I couldn't believe it.

Are more than 3 seasons not enough? Boo his ass outta MSG folks!

And there were no 'Fire D'Antoni' chants at MSG against the Craptors.....I couldn't believe it.

Are more than 3 seasons not enough? Boo his ass outta MSG folks!

Yes. Its time for the fans to step in and right the ship before its to late. We wont win a thing like this. It's mind boggling. How does this coach see a 6'10 behemoth of a man and says three point shooter? He's absolutely built to play inside. I just dont get it...

Red

TYPE-A
Shaking my head...

THREE-FOR-ALL:*The Knicks shot 35 threes on Monday. They missed 25 of them. This wasn't the only reason they lost by five to the Raptors, but it was a major one.*Mike D'Antoni*defended his team's shot selection, saying most of the attempts came within the flow of the offense. He noted that the Knicks may have forced a few 3-pointers but also shot a few two-point attempts when their was an open three. The Knicks are 19th in the league in 3-point percentage, making 31 percent. Even worse, they are 28th in field goal percentage at 40.2 percent. How many will they hoist up against the Bobcats?*

GETTING DEFENSIVE:*The Knicks have allowed a little over 95 points per game, well below the 105.7 they gave up last season. Part of this can be attributed to an early onset of the "Tyson Chandler*effect" and part of it can be attributed to a slower pace. But they still have plenty of work to do on the boards. They are averaging a league-low 35 rebounds per game. One reason for the low total? Forty-five percent of their opponents' shots are going in. But the more troubling stat is this: The Knicks are being out rebounded by 9.4 rebounds per game, the second-highest total in the league.*

This can't be by design could it? Can't be because no one is under the hoop could it?

Only MOA.

If I didn't know any better i'd say this guy is trying to get fired.

nyk_nyk

All Star
LOL.

Ladies and gentlemen... I present to you the Dantoni effect.:alert:

knicksin60

Starter
Five coaches that are better than D'antoni:

1.) Lon Kruger
2.) Don Chaney
3.) Bob Weiss
4.) Brian Hill
5.) PJ Carlesimo

knicksin60

Starter
My HS coach, Coach Blake would give him a run for his money right now. God rest his soul...

It isn't difficult to be a better coach than D'antoni. All you have to do is motivate your team to play zone defense, get on the cases of your superstar players when they fail to do the most fundamental things and bench any player who attempts to shoot more three pointers than two pointers a game.

Last edited: