Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Only MDA

Well there was an article thrown around here some time ago where Amare stated he was never taught defense in PHX under MDA. You can't just let a young guy play no defense for 5 years.

Yeah that's why we brought in Mike Woodson, it's now 7 years too late for Amare to learn how to play good D in the NBA all we can hope is he starts getting the fundamentals.

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    I was mainly jesting. But he's still a multi-time all star player who was taken out of high-school and considered a pretty raw project of a lotto pick.

But wasn't Marion (to name one) also a young PHO player, too, who excelled at his peak under MDA? Offensively and defensively.

Clearly Amare isn't exactly a naturally born killer on defense by any stretch of the imagination.

But the guy doesn't box out and do the most simple of **** -- **** he *clearly* knows he is supposed to do, and clearly has been told his entire life that he should do, on top of that.

What should MDA (or any coach) instruct the guy to do; there aren't super awesome defensive strategies, outside of that which is already more complex and less essential than the **** Amare needs to do first and foremost....box out, consistent effort, et al.

Anyway, isn't that why you'd bring a good defensive coach to take on such a responsibility -- like we have?

I'll say it again -- players like Gasol, Paul Pierce, even Dirk...all considered some combo of soft and **** on D. Until they happened upon really good complete teams and were surrounded by ultra-competitive, defensive minded players (a la Garnett).

Bringing in those players to that Celtic team (a la Gasol going to that Laker team) is to Doc going from lame duck hack to defensive coach maestro, as not having those players is to MDA's past mystique of offensive wizard and miserable defensive coach.
    I got nothing bad to say about STAT. He is what he is. Thread is about a 6 10, 280 pds of what should be a rebounding beast. All those fundies that STAT lacks JORTS has. Why not use them instead of having him outside beyond the arc? That's how I would coach it...

Veteran

Originally Posted by smokes
    Well there was an article thrown around here some time ago where Amare stated he was never taught defense in PHX under MDA. You can't just let a young guy play no defense for 5 years.

Yeah that's why we brought in Mike Woodson, it's now 7 years too late for Amare to learn how to play good D in the NBA all we can hope is he starts getting the fundamentals.
    But this isn't about some special or advanced coaching that is needed, or that has been lacking....

I don't honestly believe that Amare wasn't just copping some bull**** of a cop out, to shift blame from his stank ass defensive performances.

It's just not reasonable to think that Amare was never instructed/told how to box out and ****, and play real basic fundamental D -- by MDA, or any of the other coaches who have coached him in his pro career, and before. And even if he wasn't (which I think is unfathomable), what kind of a man needs their hand held like a little girl to look into what it takes to box out and show some intensity when you're playing d?

And with that said, I personally do not see how *any* coach -- no matter their supposed pedigree and expertise -- could make any difference on Amare, till he shows the inclination and ability to do those most basic yet profound of defensive assignments.

I expect improvement with Amare's D, too, but it will be mainly because of a season with Chandler and an overall improved team. I wouldn't credit MDA, per say, just as I won't directly credit him for any improvement in Melo's D.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    I got nothing bad to say about STAT. He is what he is. Thread is about a 6 10, 280 pds of what should be a rebounding beast. All those fundies that STAT lacks JORTS has. Why not use them instead of having him outside beyond the arc? That's how I would coach it...
    I agree completely about the last part. It's not how I want it to be, or how it should be.

And while I'm pretty sure I know why it's going down like that now, if it continues for any appreciable length of time this season, and doesn't change, I would hold it as a major, major neg against MDA.

I'd also hold it as a major neg if STAT keeps doing the same.

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    But this isn't about some special or advanced coaching that is needed, or that has been lacking....

I don't honestly believe that Amare wasn't just copping some bull**** of a cop out, to shift blame from his stank ass defensive performances.

It's just not reasonable to think that Amare was never instructed/told how to box out and ****, and play real basic fundamental D -- by MDA, or any of the other coaches who have coached him in his pro career, and before. And even if he wasn't (which I think is unfathomable), what kind of a man needs their hand held like a little girl to look into what it takes to box out and show some intensity when you're playing d?

And with that said, I personally do not see how *any* coach -- no matter their supposed pedigree and expertise -- could make any difference on Amare, till he shows the inclination and ability to do those most basic yet profound of defensive assignments.

I expect improvement with Amare's D, too, but it will be mainly because of a season with Chandler and an overall improved team. I wouldn't credit MDA, per say, just as I won't directly credit him for any improvement in Melo's D.
    How can you expect someone to play with intensity on D when for 80% of their career they have played under a coach who does not put any emphasis on D? Not saying this is solely MDA's fault, but he had a hand in it.

We picked Jordan Hill 8th and you can see what MDA coaching brought to that young big man career. Probably set it back a year. Now in Houston playing 20mpg as a role player he's averaging close to 10 rebounds. Sounds like the kinda player we could have used doesn't it xD

Veteran

It's tough.

D'Antoni coached some damn good players. Even on defense (Shawn Marion, Raja Bell).

But what the hell has he done in NY? He let a raw talent with the potential to become a double-double guy rot on the bench in Anthony Randolph. He let a big man like Jordan Hill with a decent jumpshot and good hustle sit on the bench in lieu of Jared Jeffries. I don't get this **** and neither should anybody else...

STAT not playing defense is on STAT. Never "taught" how to play defense? We're not talking about complicated schemes here, we're talking about basic **** like staying in front of your guy and boxing out. High schoolers know to do that. If STAT doesn't, then that's his own fault.

I just don't get it how D'Antoni had several 60+ win seasons in Phoenix...and don't say it was all about Nash, they missed the Playoffs last year WITH Nash!

I think we played good basketball and made the most of our very weak roster when D'Antoni arrived in 2008.

His type of basketball is sooo 2004 though, SSOL has been exposed, every half decent coach knows how to beat that system by now. It had kind of a surprise and overwhelming effect on opposing teams while it was still fresh and 'en vogue'. It's just washed up and outcoached now.

Havin said that, we don't even play SSOL anymor since the Melo trade. What we play is the worst basketball I've ever seen, no movement, no concept, no inside game - nothing just taking 3 after 3 or isolating Melo on the wing with no help whatsoever.

This is bull**** like I haven't seen before!

All D'Antoni ever had to offer as a coach was SSOL, it worked well for him while it was relatively new and with the best PG (at that time) in the business guiding the offense.
    It even worked pretty well with a **** roster in New York in his first season.

He's absolutely the wrong coach now though.
    I say we won't even make the Playoffs if he stays all season.

Thumbs down

Can Turn what should be a 6ft 10inch, 280 pd inside bruiser into a 3 pt shooter. Is anyone else watching Jorts jack up 3's? Ridiculous...
    It works...

In Europe.

he's probably doing this on purpose so that the team loses and he sticks it into management for trading away Gallo and getting rid of Walsh, really what allies does he have on the team? hes being fed to the wolves

The problem is European basketball is way different, chucking 3's is caused by very physical interior defense, most of NBA fouls would never be called in Euroleague, that's why the ball is often kicked back behind the arc.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    I just don't get it how D'Antoni had several 60+ win seasons in Phoenix...and don't say it was all about Nash, they missed the Playoffs last year WITH Nash!

I think we played good basketball and made the most of our very weak roster when D'Antoni arrived in 2008.

His type of basketball is sooo 2004 though, SSOL has been exposed, every half decent coach knows how to beat that system by now. It had kind of a surprise and overwhelming effect on opposing teams while it was still fresh and 'en vogue'. It's just washed up and outcoached now.

Havin said that, we don't even play SSOL anymor since the Melo trade. What we play is the worst basketball I've ever seen, no movement, no concept, no inside game - nothing just taking 3 after 3 or isolating Melo on the wing with no help whatsoever.

This is bull**** like I haven't seen before!

All D'Antoni ever had to offer as a coach was SSOL, it worked well for him while it was relatively new and with the best PG (at that time) in the business guiding the offense.
    It even worked pretty well with a **** roster in New York in his first season.

He's absolutely the wrong coach now though.
    I say we won't even make the Playoffs if he stays all season.
    That's the **** I don't get though. As bad as SSOL was and as much as D'Antoni was beaten pretty soundly by Popovich (although that one year Amar'e had to sit because of a fight was messed up, I think the Suns could've gone all the way that year), D'Antoni showed a lot of good coaching in Phoenix. Steve Nash credits D'Antoni for his game (and the stats too, Nash's numbers in Phoenix take a noticeable upswing in both passing and shooting), Amar'e credits D'Antoni for his game, and D'Antoni has been on the coaching end of many really good two-way players like Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, etc.

How the hell, then, are the Knicks so bad? Did D'Antoni seriously just luck out and every single decent two-way player fell into his hands and he happened upon four great three-point shooters, two All-NBA defensive players and quite possibly the greatest point guard on offense ever in the past 20 years (and, probably the most mechanically and Basketball-IQ best player of all time).

I wasn't a huge fan of the D'Antoni style when it first came here, but I supported him in his early years because I thought he was going to bring to New York the type of game that we saw in Phoenix. The Suns were a fast-paced team built around good shooting created by a point guard who could consistently find the open man - and their game relied heavily on HUSTLE.

The Knicks the way they played against the Raptors could not look more lethargic.

In D'antoni defense Anthony Ramdolph sucks as a player. He is a liability on both defense and offense. The only reason he has any success is if hia teammates compensate for his weaknesses. Everything else is true. Maybe tanking those two years ruined him. Though as someone said he may just see the writing on the wall. They traded hia God Son and Walsh who looked out for him out of loyalty is gone.

There are already rumbling Phil Jackson want to come out of retirement again after skipping a shortened season (apparently 82 is a real zen type of number). Also the knicks getting a center instead of a HOF PG means that they are no longer picking their roster based on his preferred player personnel.

Lastly how do you say your players didnt run the play you wanted and they both answer that you told them do what they want? What kind of coaching is that? Bad coaching is what that is.....

LOL.

Jorts Shot 10 3 pointers the entire year last year for Kentucky. Keep in mind the 3 point line is closer than the NBA 3.

Jorts has already shot 15, that's right 15 3 pointers for the Knicks in 5 games. That's 3 a game.

This coach is an absolute JOKE...

LOL.

Jorts Shot 10 3 pointers the entire year last year for Kentucky. Keep in mind the 3 point line is closer than the NBA 3.

Jorts has already shot 15, that's right 15 3 pointers for the Knicks in 5 games. That's 3 a game.

This coach is an absolute JOKE...
    And there were no 'Fire D'Antoni' chants at MSG against the Craptors.....I couldn't believe it.

Are more than 3 seasons not enough? Boo his ass outta MSG folks!

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    And there were no 'Fire D'Antoni' chants at MSG against the Craptors.....I couldn't believe it.

Are more than 3 seasons not enough? Boo his ass outta MSG folks!

Yes. Its time for the fans to step in and right the ship before its to late. We wont win a thing like this. It's mind boggling. How does this coach see a 6'10 behemoth of a man and says three point shooter? He's absolutely built to play inside. I just dont get it...