Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick fix until Davis is ready to go

Superstar

Default Quick fix until Davis is ready to go

(1) Trade Fields, Jorts, Jerome Jordan and cash to the LAC for Ryan Gomes. Do this when Shump & STAT are ready to go. Shump takes over for Fields at the 2 sliding over to 1 at times throughout, Gomes backs up Amar'e AND Melo. The Clippers could use all 3 players (all 3 fill instant needs for them -- quality backups for Caron Butler, Griffin AND DeAndre Jordan -- Fields could even start for them at 2G eventually) and it would give them a complete roster at 15. I think they'd go for this -- they'd be getting 3 young players with nice potential. And we'd get a solid, ready-to-go backup hybrid F with good skills.. Good trade for both teams. Fields could work here with B-Diddy (Harrellson too) but I'm not willing to wait. Gotta give to get and Gomes, to me, is a fine player in his prime we could move forward with and an upgrade at backup 3/4. We could use a trade like this to consolidate this roster down some anyway. With the 2 open roster spots created -- sign C Marcus Cousin and SG Manny Harris for depth. Cousin's game is far more advanced than Jerome Jordan's (and Harrellson's too for that matter) and Harris has good 2G skills for this system (better than Fields) and proved he belonged in the NBA last yr with the Cavs...Gomes/Cousin/Harris is a substantial upgrade over Fields/Jorts/JJ imho.

OR

(2) Find a way to open up just one roster spot and sign Al Thornton. Dude's got a nice offensive game that's not based on 3s -- more of a post-up/slashing/solid mid-range J type of SF. Honestly the Jeffries and Bibby signings, for what they got (over $2.5M combined this yr), were HORRIBLE signings. I'd cut both players right now, esp. Jeffries.

(3) Elevate Jeremy Lin. Relegate Bibby to 3rd PG and let's see what Lin can really do. Neither TD nor Bibby can get into the teeth of the defense -- that's the big problem...Douglas can't penetrate, can't push the ball, and doesn't get others involved nearly as much as he should (surprisingly can't finish at the rim on a break away if he's hounded by a defender -- either gets his shot blocked or misses the layup badly -- has a lot to do with his lack of elevation). I think Lin can do some of these things...At this point, I'd be willing to give him some mins to find out... What have we got to lose? We're not getting any sustained PG play at all. The whole offense is like a chicken running around out there with its head cut off. A majority of our posessions are either Melo trying to create something out of nothing against collapsing defenses or everyone and their mother jacking up 3s....I can't bear to watch it anymore..See what Lin can do. He can't possibly give us any less than Bibby. Bibby's shot at this point. Slow, shaky with the ball now, can't penetrate, trouble creating his own shot...Give Lin a chance. Otherwise, why'd we even get him??

----------------------------------------------

If we went 1 & 3:

5 - Chandler
    4 - Amar'e
    3 - Melo
    2 - Shumpert
    1 - Douglas
    --------------
    3/4 Gomes
    4/5 Cousin
    Lin
    Harris
    --------------
    Novak (spot duty when we need some deep shooting to open up the inside)
    Walker
    Balkman
    --------------
    Davis (injured key piece, awaiting return)
    Bibby
    Jeffries

I know they'll never do anything like this..They're not gonna do a thing --- they're gonna wait this out until Boom Dizzle returns. That's their plan...Honestly, can we really afford much more of this poor play for another 4-5 weeks?? I wouldn't stand pat. Why throw away games in the meantime? I'm not calling for an overhaul but I'd tinker with this roster right now if I were Grunwald..These moves put us in a better position to compete now until Davis returns and then it gives us a better roster with more weapons once he does return.
    Last edited by finestrg; Jan 03, 2012 at 05:38.

Veteran

Dude that doesn't change the fact that we have TD at PG and that's never going to do anything.

Superstar

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Dude that doesn't change the fact that we have TD at PG and that's never going to do anything.
    Yeah, I agree Toney's a problem but I think we can survive until we get Davis back provided we make some adjustments:

- Elevate Lin to backup PG. I think he's capable of have much more of an impact over Bibby. Like we saw last night, when Douglas is bad running the team, it doesn't get any better when we switch off to Bibby. Lin might be able to fix some of that (Shump too when he returns, hopefully by the weekend). Let's find out...I'm not into trading for a starting PG right now -- I'm willing to wait for Davis. Doesn't mean we can't tinker and make things marginally better in the meantime.

- This trade with the Clippers works well for both clubs. Then we go out and add two useful players on the cheap that actually fit the system better than two of the players we just had. Gomes (a quality backup for both Amar'e and Melo)/Marcus Cousin/Manny Harris is an upgrade over Fields/Jorts/Jordan. Gomes can post and shoot and he's got some girth to play down low (his skills are wasted on that Clipper team right now -- he's not getting the minutes or the touches he needs to be effective. Over here under D'Antoni armed with 25-30 mins as the primary reserve all-purpose F, he'd be relevant again in a big way---I picture a return to his Minnesota days where he was at his best); Cousin's a true center that can move/rebound/post up and shoot the ball better than Jorts or Jordan (picture Channing Frye only more physical/capable of playing down low); and Manny Harris has better overall skills than Fields and Billy Walker. I liked him at Michigan and he played well last yr for the Cavs in limited duty. He'd thrive in this system...All 3 of these guys would actually.

The idea is to improve upon the poor PG play with Lin now getting 15-20 mins a night and to also make minor improvements to other parts of the roster as well (backup 3/4, backup C, SG).
    Last edited by finestrg; Jan 03, 2012 at 06:13.

All these trade scenarios that will never happen..

Superstar

Doesn't matter who we bring in, we'll never win with this coach, sorry.

Lin is just a circus sideshow to lure the dominant Asian community in New York to watch the games. cant trade him just yet

Veteran

Lin isn't the answer, he's filler until the guys get healthy and won't be here when they come back. Lin is an Horatio Alger story, unfortunately the story is going to be played out in China. The dude is not good enough to play backup in the NBA.

replier

Default better quick fix til davis gets back

Balkman Douglas Fields for Dragic T.Williams

perfect PG for D'Antoni system does not need training camp to know his system. His best yr was with Stat and D"antoni in his 2nd yr. 2 yrs removed from the system. avg defender, but shoots less than douglas just overall a smarter pg. Should help Stat alot. I hat to give on Fields but T. Williams is natural at SG more than Fields, I believe Shumpert coming back Wednesday is already better Fields. Adding Dragic will allows Knicks to bring Davis off the bench until the playoffs.

Dragic Shumpert Melo Stat Chandler
    Davis Williams Novak Jorts Jeffries
    Jordan Bibby

Not going to happen....

But I do agree a 3/4 would be great going forward.

Superstar

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Lin isn't the answer, he's filler until the guys get healthy and won't be here when they come back. Lin is an Horatio Alger story, unfortunately the story is going to be played out in China. The dude is not good enough to play backup in the NBA.
    At this point you try Lin and see if he's better than what we've been running out there. Proper PG play is the key to this offense --- STAT, Melo, Chandler, Fields, etc. will all function so much better with a good PG out there directing traffic and getting the ball to these guys in transition and delivering the ball to these guys in the right spots.

I'm not gonna just assume Lin is trash --- this guy played well for Harvard including a huge game @ U-Conn (against Kemba Walker?) a couple of yrs ago AND a game in SL for GS I believe a summer or two ago where he went head to head with and actually outplayed John Wall. Now's as good a time as any to see if that was a fluke or if he can really play. Can't be any worse than Mike Bibby who's bringing nothing to the table. D'Antoni shouldn't be against trying at this point. Douglas can score a little but neither he nor Mike Bibby can running this offense the way it needs to be run.
    Last edited by finestrg; Jan 03, 2012 at 10:43.

so youre saying because Lin played well in college that he's well in the pros? tebow was a Heisman winner in Florida and completed 6-20 passes in his last NFL game. how do you compare the two?

Trade what little D we have from our youth in Fields and Jorts?

I think not!

I agree. Look at all the great coaches of our time. None said iso 98% of the game and we win. They are all probably laughing at the Knicks for signing Dantoni....I think a combo of STAT/Melo not belonging on the same team unless a coach can get in their heads (PJackson) and our coach a phony

Originally Posted by fender0577
    Doesn't matter who we bring in, we'll never win with this coach, sorry.

Veteran

Originally Posted by quiggle
    so youre saying because Lin played well in college that he's well in the pros? tebow was a Heisman winner in Florida and completed 6-20 passes in his last NFL game. how do you compare the two?
    Nobody said Lin is good.

But at this point, can he really be worse than Mike Bibby, who so far has dont jack **** for us?

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Nobody said Lin is good.

But at this point, can he really be worse than Mike Bibby, who so far has dont jack **** for us?
    We should have gone for Charles Jenkins, decent PG for Golden State and he's frm New York too! Mark Jackson was smart enough to pick him up, but all D'Antoni wants are guys who used to shoot the ball well years ago...that's why we picked Bibby.