Quick fix until Davis is ready to go

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We should have gone for Charles Jenkins, decent PG for Golden State and he's frm New York too! Mark Jackson was smart enough to pick him up, but all D'Antoni wants are guys who used to shoot the ball well years ago...that's why we picked Bibby.

Charles Jenkins wasn't available. He was drafted. We couldn't work out a deal to buy him. And there's no way he's better than Iman...

A guy that would've been nice to get would be Marshon Brooks

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Good analysis...I agree on Shump (he'll help out immediately when he's ready) and esp. Davis. You're right bro. Nobody really knows what Davis will bring & how hurt his back really is. All I'm banking on is the Cavs version of BD. If we get that, we'll be in good shape. Davis last yr for Cleveland wasn't the high-wire act he was in previous stops like Golden State but to me he still looked good last yr. Maybe even better than Chauncey Billups by comparison. Ran the Cavs' offense efficiently and confidently. Very smooth player out there. Can still push the ball, still a great passer, still gets others involved and he can still put up points. Remember his Cavs debut last yr against us at the Garden? He looked great that game -- scored the ball on us at will (Billups & TD couldn't deal with him at all) and he pushed the ball and got guys involved. He looked like he was playing on that team for months the way he played that night. And those were a bunch of kids out there he was playing with and made look good -- imagine him at the controls of an offense that featured Melo and STAT?? I'm not even banking on getting Baron Davis of a few yrs back -- I think those days might be long gone. But if we can get the Cavs' version, we'll be in excellent shape. Diddy showed last yr that he can still play at a pretty high level. He still looked darn good to me. That's why I remain optimistic about him. I'd be nice to start hearing some positive updates on him, how he's responding to treatment, etc. Hopefully that starts to come now..Then we can start to really get excited.

I agree with that Baron Davis comment if he plays like he did with Cleveland last year the Knicks will look a lot better almost night and day. He really controlled the tempo and the whole flow of that terrible Cavs team. Not to mention Amare and Chandler need a competent play making PG to be at their best offensively. Melo will prob have the biggest adjustment not having the ball in hands as much since Baron is a true PG that dominants the ball but Melo will still get his looks and close out games for NY.

KingofNy

Starter
Tom Haberstroh
And yes, Mike Bibby is still doing his torpedo act: Knicks are -40 with him on the court this season and +28 when he's sitting on the bench.

Sums it up.....Bibby is done, like he was last season in Miami.

You are dead on... I noticed the same thing. Bibby hasn't been able to hit any shots and he's a defensive liability, especially when guarding the baseline. He needs not see the court anytime soon. He's like Douglas without less of a shot and no speed.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Nobody said Lin is good.

But at this point, can he really be worse than Mike Bibby, who so far has dont jack shit for us?
True. But MD'A isn't the kind of guy to roll the dice with youth when he's got guaranteed failure. At least Poppovich wouldn't play either (untested talent or no talent).

Still... what's taking Davis so long to suit up?

finestrg

Rotation player
My vote for a quick fix at PG is this:

Play Jeremy Lin. Why not? Even 10 mins. And real mins, not garbage mins..Let's see what we've got with this guy first. I'd like to be sure he can't help us before we do anything else.

If Lin's truly not an option, cut him & bring in one of the following guys immediately (not looking for a savior or the next CP3, although that'd be nice -- just a solid interm solution/upgrade -- a bridge to get us to Baron Davis:

Patrick Mills - Young, lightning-quick, very good offensive player, more PG ability than our current starting PG. Smallish but there are guys even smaller out there that are effective in the NBA (DJ Augustin, Jameer Nelson, etc.). This guy's 6'.5" in shoes -- that's adequate. When he played for Portland, he played well. Everwhere else, he was a star -- Australia, St Mary's, the NBDL, China.. Cut from his Chinese team recently for "faking" a hamstring injury which is absurd..I read he may not be available to play for another pro team until March but that doesn't sound right to me at all. His Chinese team cut him, he didn't skip out on them. He should be available right now.

Ben Hansbrough - Big East POY last yr has game. Tough, gritty, great shooter, more PG ability than our current starting PG, surprisingly a better penetrator, athlete & defender than he's given credit for. Was playing in Germany, currently playing in Slovenia. Just feels like a D'Antoni player to me. Mike would love this kid.

Curtis Jerrells - Young, tough lefty PG, similar to Brandon Jennings. Like Mills he's a scoring point, but he's got more PG ability and a better overall game than Toney Douglas. Currently in Turkey after winning a championship in Serbian League.

Curtis Stinson - Last yr's D-League MVP and NBDL champion. 6'3" 200+ lb, nothing flashy but an excellent assist man in the DL the past few yrs, effective mid-range shooter, decent penetrator, good defender, floor leader. Currently playing in the Philippines. Reminds me of Anthony Carter only yrs younger.

Sherron Collins - Only 5'11" or so but he's good. You guys all remember this guy...I liked him a lot at KU. Dude can play. Penetrator, floor general, facilitator, 3-pt shooter. Won it all a few years ago at Kansas. Yet another player better than Toney Douglas -- all these guys are. Currently in Turkey.

Demetri McCamey - Big, sturdy PG - 6'3" 205 lb. Similar to TD in terms of quickness and penetration (that's to say it's not off the charts, though I think he's marginally better than Douglas in both areas) but he's a much better passer (very good assist man for Illinois the past couple of years) with truer PG tendencies and he's made himself into a lethal 3-pt shooter (last year he shot close to 45% from 3 in college and he can do it spotting up or off the dribble). D-Antoni type of player -- true PG, very good shooter from deep..There are Deron Williams comparisons out there because they're both bigger PGs that played for the same school but he's nowhere near D-Will. What this guy really is is a younger/bigger/better version of what we have now with Douglas and Bibby. Kinda reminds me of Chauncey Billups actually (floor general skills and a real pretty outside stroke)..Unlike TD he's not known for his defense but honestly, Douglas' defense is severly overrated. He's about on par with TD defensively. All of these guys are in fact.

Secure one of these guys and then focus on trading Douglas. I still think a trade for Ryan Gomes could help this club...Or maybe a trade for a shot-blocker/rebounder..

Last edited: