Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I miss this man

Veteran

And just to reiterate myself and the obvious.....If you honestly believe a 29year, NBA pro and all-star never was told (or simply knew, the same way we know the sky is blue by the time we're 10, yet don't need to, nor necessarily can recall some moment where some specific individual "taught" us this),

"hey, Amare...wanna box out, son?"

"yo STAT, you see that ball that the opponent is about to shoot, wanna watch that basketball go the rim and then make a play for it?"

"Amare, the doctor just gave us the starting news that you are nearly 7ft tall and weight 250lbs, you are medically cleared to be able to use your force to try and stop someone from blowing by you"

Then we must agree to disagree.

If you do not, then the major issues with STAT the player, and the resultant issues with the NYK team, will not be resolved by any coaching change. (not to mention we hired a bonefied defensive coach this season, anyways).

In fact, a supposed defensive coach with a greater reliance on defensive scheme would, if anything, likely cause Amare more grief and trouble.

Not unlike Larry Brown, hall of fame defensive coach and guru, who had beyond abysmal results coaching a refined, complete defensive game onto players who were simply resistant by way of their own emotional and mental makeup (not their skills and ability).

+

To a lesser degree, all of the above applies to Melo.

Finally, like Kblack's excellent Grantland crosspost illustrated, one reason we play/played smallball with STAT at C is to turn a weakness into a strength -- that is, his offensive reliance on space and movement.

I guess that he doesn't have superior offensive moves that don't rely on that, is also a fault of MDA. Like I guess Lebron's lack of quality post-moves till recently was because somebody never held his hand and told him what to do.

Originally Posted by theknicks3
    Lol stat is twice the player lee is. We currently have the worst pg in the league. You saw what stat did with Felton n bill ups. He is a monster, and I guarantee once we get a pg he will be back.

Knicks were going nowhere with lee. Lee is an inferior zbo. There was a reason why every player over 6.10 dominated us 2 seasons ago. Now we get smashed by sgs and pgs. See Ellis, rondo, Calderon, ...
    This is ridiculous. So what you're (actually several people have been defending Amar'e this way) saying is, Amar'e is very good/great with a good PG, and bad without one?

So right now, Lee is better than Amar'e?

Also I remember Lee dominating other centers as well. Boris Diaw had one of the best games, if not his best game, of his career last night. Lee is playing good, Amar'e hasn't been good as Balkman.

For the record, I like Amar'e. I hope he does get back to being a dominate force including blocking shots every game. People need to stop making excuses for him. Lee made Duhon look good. Amar'e could try something called defense. TRY.

Stat scored 26 and 10 last night. So yes I'm saying he's great with a good pg, and good with a crap pg.

Statistics aren't everything, but chandler deserves more blame. He needs to hold the paint like he did for Dallas. Stat and nowitzki are both **** defenders. As is lee. The only thing less has on stat is passing

watching Renaissance Man drive towards the hoop with 3 opposing players converging at him and waiting for him to kick it back out is as exciting as watching Charles Oakely taking 20 foot jump shots

Originally Posted by quiggle
    I promise you when Renaissance Man returns to New York in another teams uniform he will not get the same reception as David Lee did, talent wise he's better then Lee but Lee will take the floor burn and bleed a little for this team. its called hustle, maybe someone should introduce the term to Swagger Stat

Renaldo Balkman hustles, Jared Jefferies hustles, Reggie Evans hustles, but what does that equate to?

Hustle players are valuable, and please don't read my post as disrespect to D Lee, I love the guy and really do pull for G-State due to he and Mark Jackson (when not playing The Knicks of course) yet, for all his hustle, David Lee is still a pretty bad defender in his own right, he'll grab 3 more rebounds than Stat, but will block less shots and get scored on just as easily!

David Lee will get you 20 and 14 against Sac or Detroit, but how does he fair against the elite players at his position? Is David Lee a leader? Can David Lee take over a game? Do oppossing teams zero in on him?

Again, put David Lee on last year's team and we are a 33-35 win team at best!

Felton
    Feilds
    Gallo
    Chandler
    Lee

outside of playoffs in weak East

Add Stat to G-State's roster last year......

Curry
    Ellis
    Wright (I guess)
    Amare
    Biendris

Playoff team in the tough West

Originally Posted by New New York
    Renaldo Balkman hustles, Jared Jefferies hustles, Reggie Evans hustles, but what does that equate to?

Hustle players are valuable, and please don't read my post as disrespect to D Lee, I love the guy and really do pull for G-State due to he and Mark Jackson (when not playing The Knicks of course) yet, for all his hustle, David Lee is still a pretty bad defender in his own right, he'll grab 3 more rebounds than Stat, but will block less shots and get scored on just as easily!

David Lee will get you 20 and 14 against Sac or Detroit, but how does he fair against the elite players at his position? Is David Lee a leader? Can David Lee take over a game? Do oppossing teams zero in on him?

Again, put David Lee on last year's team and we are a 33-35 win team at best!

Felton
    Feilds
    Gallo
    Chandler
    Lee

outside of playoffs in weak East

Add Stat to G-State's roster last year......

Curry
    Ellis
    Wright (I guess)
    Amare
    Biendris

Playoff team in the tough West
    It's an interesting case. Amar'e may have the "impact" that Lee usually doesn't have, even with similar numbers, but Lee is more consistent. He's a much better ball handler, better passer, arguably a better rebounder, and better at creating his own shot imo.

Remember, Lee was good with all the PGs he was with. Put Felton with him and they Knicks might have had a shot at the Playoffs. Lee also would have meant more capspace.

Amar'e may have that impact Lee doesn't have when he's on, but Lee brings it a lot more often than Amar'e does, and while Amar'e may need a PG to be great, a case can be made Lee has made PGs better. You cannot tell me Lee would have been having the games Stoudemire has been having this season.

Amar'e's dominance may very well kick in again this season, it happened his first season here.

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Anyone who is clamoring for Nate Robinson immediately loses any and all credibility in my mind.
    Nate has his inconsistancies but i'd rather see him ball than biby sorry game, i think hes fallen off more than any other guard I've watched this season, when he comes in the game the knicks are more stagnant and I dont sense that urgency to play at a higher level, atleast nate brought energy on the court and was productive even though he had a John Starks like streak to him.

Originally Posted by knicks1183
    Nate has his inconsistancies but i'd rather see him ball than biby sorry game, i think hes fallen off more than any other guard I've watched this season, when he comes in the game the knicks are more stagnant and I dont sense that urgency to play at a higher level, atleast nate brought energy on the court and was productive even though he had a John Starks like streak to him.
    At least Bibby isn't a cancer and actually takes his job seriously.

Why does a max player need a Pg to be an effective player look at all max players they can easily carry themsevles with no other help. And what does rebounding have to do with a Pg, idek I mean look at Chuck hayes dude is 6'6 and had 6 ORB by the 2qtr

Also D lee would have came for $7million less each year he only wanted 65 million not $100 million so we would have had soo much money to spend that summer it would have been ridiculous we could have become a deep team and throw in the fact we would have kept picks and that Curry contract would have expired we would be looking like a real good team ala Pacers who are better and younger than Us