New York Knicks @ Washington Wizards - January 6th, 2012 7:00 PM EST

unloopme

Benchwarmer
Looking at the box score, Melo has been simply amazing for us these first 7 games except for that off night against GSW. It seems like every night he carries us in the 4th quarter. He's doing great dishing the rock and grabbing those boards as well. If we had a better record, he would definitely be in the MVP talks along with LBJ.
Yup. He's been EVERYTHING we could DREAM for at the 3. Hopefully we can hit a stride as a team and he WILL get considerations for MVP. F Le'Bitch, son.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Indeed Melo has been playing great.

Amar'e played great tonight too. While Melo seemed to outshine him, 23 points on 43% shooting with 12 rebounds is pretty good when you're going up against JaVale McGee

And Tyson Chandler with NINE offensive rebounds and 15 total rebounds. This is what we brought him here for.

Unsung hero of the night? Bibby. Clutch 3's FTW.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Yeah, I like Shumpert alot, and Anthony is obviously a beast, but my 2 biggest things were Stoudemire, while not amazing, looked much closer to what I grew accustomed to last year, and Chandler bounding and astounding which we greatly needed. To me any Chandler points are a bonus, but we need him in double digit rebounds nightly and altering plenty of shots. Agree with many peoples saying Shumpert, Fields, Anthony, Stoudemire and Chandler as starting 5 for the time being.

joegti10

Banned
Think we may have something special in Shumpert. Guy was playing the point, barking orders, waving stat and melo around the floor. That was fun to watch from a youngster.

unloopme

Benchwarmer
Yeah, I like Shumpert alot, and Anthony is obviously a beast

Word. Would that WNY refer to WNY, NJ? That's were I was raised.

STAT showed finally, Melo was...Melo. And IMAX was the breath of fresh air being pumped into our lungs of longing.

Last edited:

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Nah I'm not a tri-stater, in this instance WNY stands for Western New York. I visit the city as well as New Jerz at least twice yearly though and love the area.

KingCharles34

All Star
I said it before the season and ill say it again...Melo could get himself the scoring title this year. Right now its between him and Lebron, everybody else is about 3 points behind.

iSaYughh

Starter
I said it before the season and ill say it again...Melo could get himself the scoring title this year. Right now its between him and Lebron, everybody else is about 3 points behind.

With Bosh surging, and Wade to only improve......Melo could well get it.

Durant always pesky, though, even with Harden finally being unleashed.

CoolClyde

Melo Melo Melo Imax Imax Imax

Melo could easily get the scoring title, especially if Antoni's offensive game plan is to give the ball to Melo and let's see what happens. Did Melo take the last 20 shots tonite or what? I understand going to the hot hand, but no plays whatsoever? Knicks are so lucky they won tonite.

how come Antoni doesn't foul when up by 3 at the end of games? Even Clyde Frazier said he'd foul in that situation, and sounded exasperated! What does Mike know that Clyde does not? what a D'ick!

John Wall busting through the matador swiss cheese defense at will, until the mighty Shumpert made an appearance. Imax's +/- would have been better than +20 if Melo wasn't chucking at the end, allowing the worst team in the league back in the game. Live by the 3...

Shumpert needs to start, better PG than Toney D by far. probably a better SG than Fields. wouldn't mind seeing Shump/Fields, or Bibby/Shump as starting backcourt, but the Bib needs to show more consistency. Toney D is sixth man material and a shooting guard. let's just take the ball out of his hands, and take that PG pressure off. OK?

nice game thread, but calling for Balkmania to start over STAT? I DUNNO!!! that's just kinda lame.

I did not like new sportscaster Spiro, he seemed to be saying STAT's name wrong, and that irked me to no end! was it just me?

not a great game, but I'll take the win.
Antoni's gotta go. i hate him and his lame coaching.

and what's with his dumb brother just sitting there when the Knicks won?
SMFH

CA7

Scoring Champ
Stoudemire and Anthony for the 2nd time I've seen have played off eachother so well tonight. Some analyst are talking and saying Melo took too many shots(31) but in the last 3 minutes D'Antoni went iso and he took 7 shots, and most of his shots came late in the clock and were rushed, nonetheless he's playing at MVP level but most likely wont get consideration.

All in all we only had 5 guys score over 2 points which we cant have.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I mean Melo took a lot of shots but his percentage was 48%. I'm pretty sure if you knew a player was going to make 48% of his shots, you'd tell him to get the ball and start chucking ASAP.

I see your point. TD blew so much ass tonight. That punk couldn't even get a damn point against the Wizards, the worst team in the NBA. Seriously his lack of passing ability and PG skills is pathetic.

I hope by now KO will finally realize that you can't take a shooting guard and make him into a PG just cause you need him to be one. Like I've said since last year, TD is an SG, he will always be an SG.

I think he'd be a better PG if we knew earlier that we were going to ditch Billups, though. Then TD could've spent the summer working on his court vision and studying the film and game plan. Honestly, though, he doesn't seem capable of being a good PG it just doesn't seem like it, IMAX got that role down.

One thing I noticed from IMAX is that even though his shot selection is not great, his decision making as a PG looked pretty solid. He found the open man, created offense, and didn't turn the ball over that much (2 TOs in 37 minutes is pretty good). If he can produce games like this (6 or 7 assists, 10-15 points), he'll be a fine starting PG who can shift over to the 2 guard position when the Baron is healthy enough to play. His shot selection obviously still needs work but again he's a rookie, it'll get better with time.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Watched the game at my friend who's a huge Knicks fans house I like what I seen from Shumpert he looked a lot more comfortable than TD running the point he needs to start. Also Amare finally seems to be going after rebounds, Chandler with a great game, and Melo continues playing like a top 5 player in the league.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Word, somethings don't seem as big, but Chandler getting mad boards was huge, and Stoudemire looking more aggressive and not being a total stiff was also huge

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Nice game thread running jumper...are u a westcoast homie? I only ask that because those look like westcoast rappers in the songs u posted, i know at least yukmouth is.

That scene girl of the night looks sorta gothic and young...bro im gonna need to see some proof that this girl is 18. That must be the younger sister of somebody that posts on here. JPZ's gonna be mad when he sees his little sis
Nope, New Jersey, close to New York. I was talking to people online in a chat and somebody linked to that. As soon as I saw "Red Wine" as the name Lady GaGa's Just Dance came to my mind because "RedOne" in it sounds like that, and to my nice surprise, it was sampled.

LOLLLLLL If that's jpz's sis I'm gonna have to work on meeting her jk.

Wargames

Starter
Just watched the game again.... And yeah their was stretches where the Knicks looked like the real deal ( even if it was the wizards).... Also Jorts doesn't score but as I said in another thread he plays well as the first PF off the bench bringing all the PF intangibles you could ask for (RB, Blocking, clogging lanes, and boxing out) I see shumpert being the Knicks future swingman so if anything I think they need a good sub for Melo. Maybe Fields can do it but it's a need, when he is in foul trouble Billy walker isn't a viable answer. It doesn't need to be a great player just someone who can play the sf better than what the Knicks have....

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Bibby made the best foul of all-time.

Red's "IMAX" nickname brings a dimension of aesthetics to Shumpert's greatness that otherwise wouldn't be there. That's a superstar nickname.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Thanks for the GT, RJ.

Great to get a win [against the worst team in the league] - but a win's a win! We needed it, STAT needed a good night, too.

We had flashes of brilliance and stank of sub-mediocrity as well.

Plenty to complain about on this one, but just severely stoked not to have another blemish against a shit team.

Shump is the real deal. Looks like a vet out there and made more experienced players, Young especially, look like first gamers.

I liked STAT's effort 75% of the time, but the defensive effort needs to pick up and be consistent.

Douglas and Fields are awful, we still need to run some half-court sets BADLY!

I liked the passing and Melo's attacking the hoop. He also found some sync with Amar'e - though not on designed plays ~ no surprises there.

I'd say we're half way to where we need to be.

carousel_1.6img7.jpg

Shump at point is a no brainer. He dimes, sets up, plays the ball hard, talks; such an inspiration for us right now.

I was happy with Douglas' not chucking his way in to ruining our offense. Shows how ineffective he really is, mind you, and he sat most of the game where he belongs: next to Jerome Jordan. I'm looking forward to B Diddy's debut, and would like to see both he and Shump in the starting 5. If/once that happens, I'm also looking forward to seeing a real second unit get a shot:

Douglas
Fields
Walker
Jorts
Jordan

I think that will give both Fields and TD a chance to play there games at full throttle, and they'll get the confidence and sense of a niche that they need.

Props to Jorts for his effort.

A win is a win, is a win, is a win.

We lucked out against the worst team in the league, no way to get excited!

Bibby doesn't foul McGee and we lose this one too.....just saying.

Bibby had a freak night, where he hit all of his threes, took a charge and commited a brilliant foul against McGee....Bibby plays like his normal self and we lose this one...just saying.

In the end though a win is a win and D'Antoni badly needed this one. Now his parole got prolonged and our consistent struggle of a win followed by a loss will continue.

We still didn't play well at all last night. There were a couple of offensive possesions that actually looked like proper basketball, but defense still sucked, if Washington had a half decent scorer....you know the rest.

Fields, Douglas and Walker are D-League players, my god they are awful.....

Fortunately for us, Washington had a couple D-Leaguers out there too, like Chris Singleton or Jordan Crawford. Rashard Lewis played like a piece of shit.

Detroit aren't much better though and I can see the Knicks win that game aswell, still won't change the fact that we're not a good basketball team this season.