Knicks Close to Signing Keith Bogans

Yeah, you can find links to this signing in a couple places so far, with even some of them saying Bogans should be with us by Monday's game against Charlotte. Main bullet points on Bogans are that he plays good perimeter defense and can occasionally hit a 3-pointer, but otherwise not much from an offensive standpoint.

It's never a bad thing to have another perimeter defender in your backcourt, but not sure where Bogans would get his minutes. If Shump and Fields continue to start, then you would expect Bibby, Walker, and TD to grab all the minutes off the bench. We've already seen TD essentially phased out the last 2 games with Shump's emergence, but then again that might be due to his shoulder issues. Maybe Bogans can play some 3 behind Melo or maybe he's just going to be an insurance option in case we run into teams where we show no ability to defend the other team's pick and roll or the like.

Would he even have get any minutes with us? We already have Fields, TD, and Walker at SG. Well at least he's a pretty good defender from what I hear. Wouldn't hurt.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Who are we waiving to get him? As far as I know we have to drop someone to pick him up. It seems like it's going to be Lin at this point. But I also think that we could use another defender on the perimeter...not like Lin gets any playing time anyway.

Who are we waiving to get him? As far as I know we have to drop someone to pick him up. It seems like it's going to be Lin at this point. But I also think that we could use another defender on the perimeter...not like Lin gets any playing time anyway.

Yeah, would have to be Lin given the current roster. It's also possible this whole story of signing Bogans could be bunk, too. I suppose we'll see.

KingofNy

Starter
Yeah, would have to be Lin given the current roster. It's also possible this whole story of signing Bogans could be bunk, too. I suppose we'll see.

Our 2's perimeter D has been very suspect this year. Fields & company have been getting abused. They're not good at fighting through screens (which is why they're switching), which is leading to mismatched on D. I think D'Antoni thinks if we get Bogans than he can put him in to help out our perimeter D along with hitting an occasional 3.

I think Antoni really hasn't given Lin a shot. I actually like Lin better than TD. He can pass better, shoot better and his D is better. I'd hate to give him up and keep a PG that can't shoot/pass. Only time will tell I guess. :gony:

CA7

Scoring Champ
I mean lets look at it this way we're adding the starting shooting guard from the team with the most wins last year, who also played for the Spurs so he knows how to win.

Wargames

Starter
Our 2's perimeter D has been very suspect this year. Fields & company have been getting abused. They're not good at fighting through screens (which is why they're switching), which is leading to mismatched on D. I think D'Antoni thinks if we get Bogans than he can put him in to help out our perimeter D along with hitting an occasional 3.

I think Antoni really hasn't given Lin a shot. I actually like Lin better than TD. He can pass better, shoot better and his D is better. I'd hate to give him up and keep a PG that can't shoot/pass. Only time will tell I guess. :gony:

Its a smart move A 2 guard who can defend through screens makes sense since Fields seems to have issues with it. It also puts just a little more depth on the bench. Finally, hey Boganscan give the players some advice on how to play the bulls.

On the other hand Idk if its true though these reporters seem to steal ideas from Knick message boards ( or does the Knicks FO, if they do. Good Job!) Anyhow Even if Lin is better waiving TD is a lot more difficult capwise as well as the fact that Bogans can play D. Lin hasn't shown the ability to play well at all here.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Bogans is terrible he won't bring anything to the Knicks do not get excited about this signing at all. After LA and NY Chicago is my 3rd fav team I watched most of their games last year and Bogans was terrible.

Wargames

Starter
Bogans is terrible he won't bring anything to the Knicks do not get excited about this signing at all. After LA and NY Chicago is my 3rd fav team I watched most of their games last year and Bogans was terrible.

Well he will be signed to play D on quicker 2 guards in man to man sets and against teams when they start to screen for mismatches

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
He's a veteran shooting guard and was a starter in Chicago throught the entire last season... His stats don't look impressive, so I suppose he's more of Billups kind of guy, so high basketball IQ, defensive skills set, locker room presence etc?

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Ask any bulls fan Bogans is ****ing horrible. This is not something to be happy about, they could not wait to get rid of this guy. Balkman gives you more. Why is it that people get so hyped when we are linked to trash, no news is good news.

finestrg

Rotation player
Ask any bulls fan Bogans is ****ing horrible. This is not something to be happy about, they could not wait to get rid of this guy. Balkman gives you more. Why is it that people get so hyped when we are linked to trash, no news is good news.

I tend to agree. Keith Bogans? Really? And cutting Lin to make room? I don't like it.. I mean you're carrying Lin just in case something happens to Shump, GOD FORBID, we have some more PG depth to fall back on. TD is not a PG -- I don't wanna see him in that situation anymore. EVER. Period, the end. Tell you what though, Shump ever goes down, that's EXACTLY what we'll see. And if that happens, be prepared to see some ugly offense that stalls all over the joint again..Even though Bibby's playing well, he's more in the TD mold (perimeter oriented guard that's really only looking to shoot). Also, is Bibby gonna stay healthy now with increased mins? I hope so but who knows? Shump's our only guard that can really penetrate and set up others (how 'bout the two drives with no-look shuffle passes to STAT for dunks last night --- TD and Bibby can't do that)...Not that Lin was really an answer there either (the more I saw of him, the less I thought he could really be a factor for us) but he was still good insurance.

I mean if Bogans comes in and takes Walker's mins, I guess we're OK. I personally don't care for Walker at all -- lazy ass defender with terrible shot-selection... But you can't convince me there aren't better 2Gs out there...They really should've signed Reggie Williams (even though he hurt his knee and has been out, that was still the guy to get right before the season started)...How 'bout Manny Harris? Paul Harris formerly from Syracuse, now playing ball in the Philippines (great defender/rebounder for a guard, better offensive potential than Bogans, better upside)?? Sylven Landesberg (Israel)? AD Vassallo (France)? Ryan Wittman or Robert Vaden as an extra lights-out shooter??

What they really should be doing is replacing Lin with even better PG insurance (there's a ton of young PGs out there with real nice upside, esp. in this system): Patty Mills, Ben Hansbrough, Curtis Jerrells, Curtis Stinson, Sherron Collins, Demetri McCamey..

I don't care for this move at all. Hope I'm wrong though and Bogans comes in and has some kind of impact. :crossfingers:

Last edited:

fender0577

Rotation player
The dude is defensive minded, bring him in.How quickly we forget how john wall got to the rim with ease, bogans would have giving him (wall) a little shot to let him know he was there, and that's what were missing.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I've talked to a Chicago fan and he's said Bogans is an offensive noob, but can be a useful defender, especially in crunch-time moments, another defensive minded player on this team? Woddy's work I guess...

KingofNy

Starter
Bogans plans on signing for the vets min right? I hope to god we don't waste our 2.5 on his @ss. Also, anyone know when Jeffries is coming back?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I mean we do need more perimeter defense, that much can't be denied, and Bogans is definitely a good defensive player.

That being said you want to keep an extra 1 guard on the team in case of injuries

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
Maybe JJ is gone and we are replacing him with this guy?

Even just getting rid of JJ would be an improvement...

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Exactly, it was one of the stupidest moves we made last season, Brewer even if not a very good overall player, is still a legit defender. We waived him because D'Antoni "couldn't guarantee him enough playing time" and now we're looking for a guy like him...