OT -HUGE WARNING!!! - RADY AND ALL OTHERS CHECK YOUR PC'S!!!

youadmireme2

Benchwarmer
I know this is off topic but its a huge problem...
The last 2 nights I have been wrestling with my PC to remove a virus that my PC at home received. Monday night 777 files were infected, last night 2437 files were infected 2433 were cleaned.
My PC doesnt start up normally and I have to log on in "Safe mode - with networking"
anyone else have this?
This morning I checked my email and got one from "Rady"... So please check your PC's for viruses... There are free online virus scans...

go to Google, search for "Online Virus Scan" and Trend Micro offers a good one...
Below is the email I received.
----------
----------
From [email protected]
Sent Tuesday, September 21, 2004 6:29 pm
To [email protected]
Subject Failure ([email protected])
Attachments
DELETED0.TXT 1K

ALERT!!!
This e-mail in its original form contained one or more attached files that were infected with a virus or worm, or contained another type of security threat.

The following attachments were infected and have been repaired:
No attachments are in this category.

The following attachments were deleted due to an inability to clean them:
1. message.pif: W32.Netsky.Q@mm

The Following attachments were not delivered due to inbound mail policy violations:
No attachments are in this category.

Road Runner does not contact the sender of the infected attachment(s) in the event that they were not actually sent from the indicated party.

Please contact the sender directly to alert them of their issue with infected files if you wish to do so.

For more information on Road Runner's virus filtering initiative, visit our Help & Member Services pages at http://help.rr.com, or the virus filtering information page directly at http://help.rr.com/faqs/e_mgsp.html.

------------ Original message text follows ------------

Mail Delivery System - This mail contains binary characters

------------- failed message -------------
ydYO+Kt*DüdOE'JPrBVq+G6oRpR;C9))jc$YyZoW7*<
WH5TüzzUl#B5E2ze,_fr;7<-qdHRTQHG5)m#F7Ix*XWE
.Hxc$R_%.46Jy2ßI7cDätgBUmlA!lE~_s&ukO?jIW,ü1
g?8?ßUp.DXj0?9ie(gaoiWGtö%;vp9

Note: Received message has been sent as a binary file.
Or you can view the message at:

www.nyc.rr.com/inmail/rrosario35/mread.php?sessionid-9243

newmove

Rotation player
OK man, just check out the comp with some antivirus progs. I strongly recommend Norton Antivirus.
And one more thing, put a prog called Black Ice which blocks all exe files that are running without your permission.

Thanks for informing!

youadmireme2

Benchwarmer
thx newmove, i'll look into that Black Ice program tonight...
I hope no one else got this stupid virus, it sucks... i feel crippled @ home.

I have norton Systemworks and the virus knocked out the Virus scanner it says I dont have enough memory, thats the other thing, the virus ate up like half of my available HD space

newmove

Rotation player
Then you definitely need to lock up that process. Is it visible? If you have another HDD just put the infected one in a slave modeand run Windows from the other one. Then try to search for infected files and running processes. It's very important you put the infected HDD in a slave mode. But before doing that install Black Ice thing on uninfected HDD so it would prevent virus from running on your second HDD.

youadmireme2

Benchwarmer
unfortunatley I have just on HD, hopefuly I can kill this thing tonight...
MY PC guy said it may be hiding itself. He had me look in the registry and i killed about 7 items in there.

But that black ice thing sounds good, could you link me to it?

e_D

Benchwarmer
lurked on this thread for a while, tried downloading BlackIce but it seems the links are broken. any other mirrors?

newmove

Rotation player
Then you'll definitely need another HDD to solve that problem. Try running the diagnostics + antivirus checking you've got already installed. Oh, and try to loclize what exe files are running. One of 'em is a virus. But it's also possible that other processes are infected as well...

rady

Administrator
Staff member
youadmireme2,
i have no idea what's with all these viruses, but the best thing you can do is not to open those emails. these kind of messages regulary have in the subject line the followings: Your website, RE: your document, etc. i can assure you i did not sent you that email and i don't even have your adress in my adressbook
as for antiviruses, you can try AVG (i can send it to you), Norton Antivirus or RAV

youadmireme2

Benchwarmer
Rady, im not trying to place blame on you by any means, please dont get that impression. I just mentioned your name because it says its from you (see original posting). I just want to warn everyone to be alert, its weird that no one else got the email

I tried running several virus scans, revealed all hidden files, ended any process that wasnt necessary to run the PC, but last night I encountered a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Problem, this just seems to get worse and worse.
I tried re-installing windows last night and well I left the PC alone for a while during the installation and when I came back there was a blue screen I never saw before saying something about disconnecting hardware and some error # that I did not copy down.

I thought I was good with PC's but this is a tough one.
I cant even boot off of the CD or repair windows... nothing works

rady

Administrator
Staff member
youadmireme2 said:
Rady, im not trying to place blame on you by any means, please dont get that impression.

yeah, i know sometimes you just have to be prepared for this kind of problem. check your pm, i sent you a good antivirus