[Daily News] Danilo says Knicks didn't need Melo

rady

Administrator
Staff member
[...]Before the Knicks scrapped their grassroots plan to acquire an elite scorer in Anthony, Gallinari was helping the Knicks earn their first playoff berth in 10 years. Amar?e Stoudemire was emerging as an MVP candidate, while Landry Fields was one of the league?s top rookies.

For better or worse, the Knicks went in a different direction after landing Anthony, who controls the ball and the shot clock, often at the expense of ball movement. Neither Fields nor Stoudemire have been the same since the trade.

The Nuggets are 25-11 since the trade, their latest win coming Wednesday night against the Nets, 123-115. The Knicks are 20-18, not including getting swept in the opening round of the playoffs.

?I don?t know (why Stoudemire and Fields have struggled). We were for sure, after the trade, we were two different teams,? Gallinari said. ?Before and after the trade, two very different teams.?[...]

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...anthony-trade-article-1.1004949#ixzz1jFlkGX3F

Am i the only one who kept wondering how the prior-anthony team would had finished last season?

shizzee

Benchwarmer
until gallo hits a game winning lay up he should zip it.

he just mad b/c his coach does speak italian to him. don't worry buddy we will send dantoni out to you soon enough.

unloopme

Benchwarmer
I read that whole article and didn't come away thinking, "damn, Gallo just dissed the Knicks, or Melo." Seems to me he's just stating some facts...nothing to see here IMO. The media looking for scraps.

The pre-Melo team was playoff bound, but I believe would have been bounced in the 1st anyway. I for one am DOWNRIGHT GIDDY that this team has a cold-blooded closer like Melo when the chips are down. You can't say that about anybody else involved in the trade.

Thanks for the link and the read.

Kiyaman

Legend
Did owner Dolan chose the right option?

Gallo article makes a helluva great point.....
Melo -vs- co-existing young depth-players (C-Mozgov, SF-Gallo, SF-Chandler,
PG-Felton) = less than $17M per. Think about their trade value after playing 2-
seasons together as a 2nd round playoff team?

The Pre-Melo Knicks wouldve been 3 times better on offense/defense than
what we have today....Gallo were playing real hustle-defense, moving without
the ball plus refusing to just hangout on the 3-ball line, which we all seen
Kiyaman didnt bash Gallo one game lastseason.
Dantoni is a different story.

The "trio" of W.Chandler/Gallo/Fields talents were improving and co-existing
as the season went on, it was that "trio" of players that complimented C-
Mozgov best talents to be put back into the rotation by having TD, Fields,
Gallo, and Chandler passing the ball to Mozgov & Turiaf in the paint for a
inside basket. It was not hard to see the confidence level of the "trio"
passing-game with one another improve every time Stat were sitting on the bench.
Stats consecutive 30 point games had huge help from his teammates to keep
the flow of Knicks winning streak. Rookie Landry Fields were allowed to participate
on the offensive-end of the court consistently (I believe Fields stats when
we beat the Miami Heat were 19 pts, 13 rbs, 4 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk).
Today, Landry Fields is not part of the Knicks offense in any manner of the game....
making Fields look as unhappy as DNP players Bibby, Balkman, and Jerome Jordan
sitting on the bench.

It is true, we did not have a great #1 scorer (Melo) we can count on to score
or go to the foul line within the last seconds of a game for a win.
Truethat....Melo is one of the top-5 players in the NBA u want the ball in his
hands at crucial moments.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Not this shit again

Pre-Melo Trade....not shot at a title

Post-Melo Trade.....CONTENDERS

Wargames

Starter
ehhh its hard to play this game just because so many moves have been made since.

I feel if the timing had been better and Melo had known he could of walked and still got his money I think the knicks would be stacked right now. However he didn't know and demanded a trade......

but like I said to many factors to honestly say what would of happened. All I know now is the Knicks need more reliable depth. I think the Knicks can acquire that next year since if you think about it if Baron comes back healthy they will have regained the strength of starters they traded away for Melo.

KingCharles34

All Star
Im so sick of being compared to Denver, i liked them for a while but i dont give a fukk what former knicks they have, fukk them. Fukk Gallo and all his fans, Fukk George Karl. When the grass is cut the snakes will show

petescud

Starter
I wish all the best to Gallo, Felton, Gov and others..but, Let's GO Knicks and win another....yep, bees that way, sometimes

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Lol @ the pre-trade Knicks being anywhere near the Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Al Horford, led Hawks, who got sent the **** home every year.

Or what about the Jerry Sloan, D-Will, Boozer, led Jazz who were routinely put to sleep in the playoffs.

But yet folks keep bringing up a team with Amar'e Stoudemire, Reymond Felton, Danilo Galinari, and Wilson Chandler....I appreciate what those guys did for us, and I wouldn't mind seeing Will the Thrill looking to Kill while he simultaneously tries to Chill, back in a Knicks uniform...but...seriously....whatever man, this shit is tired.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Teams with 1.5 superstars like the Jazz got sent home in the first round. Every year. Don't act like Amar'e alone could've done anything. The NBA and Guitar Hero are very similar - you need STAR POWER to win