The Problem Is Not Melo Amare or Defense!

StarksOverJordan

Benchwarmer
I think they should can Walker and Balkman and sign Kenyon and Aaron Brooks when they come back from China. Solves a backup big man and legit 6th man problem.

In Mid-March our lineup could look like this:

C-Chandler
PF-STAT
SF-Melo
SG-Shump
PG-Baron

Brooks
Kenyon
Douglas
Fields
Jorts
Bibby
Novak

Inactives:
Lin
Jordan
Jeffries

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I think most posters on here realize we will be improved with BD and it's prob been good that he has been injured and been able to watch from a distance and see what needs to be corrected.

Him returning to the court for drills is best news I'll get today.

BachaCho

Benchwarmer
I dont get why they dont start Bibby at PG, shump replacing fields and the big 3? And Linn could control the 2nd unit with fields douglas jerome and novak on the court or something, idk im just throwing names out but offense is terribly stagnant i dont know what the hell d antoni is making probally doodling on the clipboard.

its so dissapointing, i never see the knicks run pick and rolls besides when bibby is on the court, wth is up with that??

KingofNy

Starter
I'm sad to say this but I think we need to use the rest of our money on a GOOD veteran point guard. We need a floor general. Who's to say when Baron Davis will come back and when he does how do we know how good he is going to be? If our team had a good point guard like Felton, Nash, etc. we wouldn't keep having these bad games and our offense would easily be in the 100's.

When we traded for Melo we lost Felton and that's what is killing this Knicks team. Felton was perfect for D'antoni's offense. We need a point guard that doesn't want to shoot first and that looks to give his teammates good looks. We need that again. As much as I would love to have Kenyon Martin, I say we try to find ourselves a good pass-first PG. Until then occasionally expect games like last night.

Kiyaman

Legend
The problem starts with Dantoni, then our defensive-system,
then our offensive-system which is controlled by Melo & Stat.
Damn....I forgot we dont have a system

The super-problem is our tight Knicks schedual....having to many 3 games in 4 nights,
4 (away) games in 6 nights, and a few 5 games in 7 nights....
how many minutes per game should Tyson/Stat/Melo/Shump/and Davis
receive in this tight schedual?

CA7

Scoring Champ
If we ran plays like the other teams in the NBA to get our best players better shots and our role players easy shots then we'd be fine. People blame STAT and Melo for their iso game but its MOA who keeps setting it up like that.

JujuXG

Benchwarmer
Its the system & Coaching. Than PG.

When a rookie shoots x number of bad shots, the coach should have called a time out to settle him down. And when one of your star players is out of the game, and the offense is not clicking, set up a play for your other star player.

D'antoni system work great in phoneix but it doesn't work well with our current roster, D'antoni should change his style to maxmize the talent on our team.

petescud

Starter
with this schedule he has to do a 10 man rotation to keep players fresh, or sit STAT a game, Melo a game etc...

Kiyaman

Legend
If we ran plays like the other teams in the NBA to get our best players better shots and our role players easy shots then we'd be fine. People blame STAT and Melo for their iso game but its MOA who keeps setting it up like that.

WOW! Dantoni dont run any plays....in Phoenix Dantoni depended on PG-Steve Nash
creativeness to find the open man, and Marion leadership to make sure their was an open man.
These two star players were so great at creating plays off the wimp....
Dantoni got the label of being a celebrity headcoach in Phoenix.

Kiyaman

Legend

When a rookie shoots x number of bad shots, the coach should have called a time out to settle him down. And when one of your star players is out of the game, and the offense is not clicking, set up a play for your other star player.
D'antoni system work great in phoneix but it doesn't work well with our current roster, D'antoni should change his style to maxmize the talent on our team.

There is no such thing as a Dantoni-system!!!

Real Talk....Keven Johnson system worked great in Phoenix.
Jason Kidd system worked great in Phoenix.
Steve Nash system worked great in Phoenix.
A system with a running-bigman and running PG.
The KJ & Barkley show....do u recall
The Kidd & Matrix show....do u recall
The Starbury show was to slow with SG-J.Johnson, SF-Marion, PF-Stat, and C-Chambers....
however Starbury did go 6 games in a series with the Championship Spurs. But....
Phoenix Star-Player $17M per Shawn Marion wanted another speedy PG like
KJ or Kidd or Stocton so the Suns could stay a run-run-run team in Phoenix atmosphere.

finestrg

Rotation player

I agree his coaching leaves a lot to be desired at times but he's not the main problem. Lack of a true PG is for the moment. Let's be honest, with proper depth, Shumpert shouldn't even be thrust into the situation he's in right now -- and I don't believe they wanted to do that to him. They named TD the starter, added Bibby, then added Lin late (I think Lin was actually added as insurance when Shumpert was hurt early on -- I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that Lin hasn't shown a thing in practice that would make Mike think that he's a guy that could help. If he did, he'd be out there by now) ---- thing is, none of these guys are the answer. So now more out of necessity, Shumpert has been thrust into the forefront. Thank God the kid can play but he's still a rookie who's gonna be prone to mistakes and trying to do too much as we saw the other night. WTF is D'Antoni supposed to do when that happens again? Pull him out, discipline him by sitting him down for the rest of the game, and go back to TD fulltime? Come on man, that's throwing the towel in and you know it...You do that to Shump to send a message if we had suitable alternatives to fill in --- WE DON'T!!! Last yr we had starting-caliber NBA PGs, first with Felton, then with CB (and even both of those veterans needed time to adjust, so can you imagine how much time Shumpert's gonna need?). We don't have anything on that level to work with right now. Shump's it, sink or swim. And you know what, I'm down with that -- what other choices do we really have at the moment? At least he's being force-fed some valuable experience here playing with the 1st unit..

Shumpert's gotta be out there --- he's the only north to south PG we have, capable of penetration, getting inside and showing some creativity for others and some finishing ability himself. The kid's gonna need help though, esp. as he works through this leg cramp/dehydration issue...I want him to play but I also don't want them to run him into the ground either. We need IMMEDIATE backcourt help at both guard spots while we wait on Baron. That's how I see it. Give Mike at least a passable PG alternative (along with another SG option) and then start judging him harder. We wouldn't be saying a thing about 'not running any plays' if we had a guy like Willie Warren or Patty Mills out there getting the ball up court at a fast pace and getting easy scores for guys off transition, penetration dump offs, drive and kicks, etc. or even in the halfcourt set, where things would be operating at a much quicker pace because we found a 2nd N to S PG to go along with the rookie Shumpert. Davis is gonna help but last I looked, he's still in civvies. Looks promising as he's starting to partake in some drills and light shooting, but he still could be weeks away. WTF are we gonna do in the meantime? Sit on our hands and pray while we go 2-12 in our next 14 waiting for Davis? The way we looked last game, with Melo all banged up, Amar'e and Fields being off their games (esp. Fields), getting nothing from the bench, etc., that could very well happen. Our front office needs to be proactive right now in some way, shape or form.

Last edited:

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
Knicks have to find a way to bring back Felton (trade douglas) for next season..
I think Davis will hold up, but if he doesnt get back to even being close to what he was in the past, dump or re sign him or bibby as bench PG.

Knicks need a PG and Davis is a gamble atm.

Crazy starting 5 (assuming shump keeps up with the hype)

C-Chandler
PF-STAT
SF-Melo
SG-Shump (Fields)
PG-Felton

KingofNy

Starter

Everyone on TNT's broadcast knew MDA was the problem. How come our front office doesn't?

KingofNy

Starter

The Starbury show was to slow with SG-J.Johnson, SF-Marion, PF-Stat, and C-Chambers....
however Starbury did go 6 games in a series with the Championship Spurs. But....
KJ or Kidd or Stocton so the Suns could stay a run-run-run team in Phoenix atmosphere.

The Knicks aren't a run and gun team and MDA isn't good at coaching anything but that. Unless we have a Steve Nash like PG, this team is always going to suck under MDA. Even if we did have a good PG this team won't win the ring because run and gun doesn't win NBA titles. Defense does.

KingCharles34

All Star

hmmm just as many as J Kidd, RJ, and KMart went with the Spurs in the finals that year. But Starbury had a game winning 3 pointer, making him more clutch and a better all around player then Ason Kidd ever dreamed of being

*EDIT*

Almost forgot what I came here to say...

STAT is the problem.

His nickname says it all...

All hes ever cared about is Stats, maybe if he made a few hustle players here in there...

His decision making when his jumpers not falling for him reminds me of a Rookies, just like his defense

The added muscle has taken more of his athleticism away, almost as much as those Knee surgeries took

Amerie must get his shot blocked more then any other player in the league

Amare making 100 million is a good enough reason for the NBA to have not settled the strike, Id pay him half that to retire. The Knicks are back? FOH with that sh*t unless u mean it clown...go back to the Sons. Nash is the only reason why Amare's making that 100 milli, he should give at least half that to Nash.

I used to think Bosh was the softest player in the league. Its very clear now that Amerie Stouderetire is the softest, most overrated PF in the NBA. No team could ever win a championship with him in the starting lineup

Last edited:

CoolClyde

D'oh-lan!

Everyone on TNT's broadcast knew MDA was the problem. How come our front office doesn't?

D'oh-lan runs the show, a clueless, non-basketball mind, with the continued
encouragement of Zeke Thomas, one of the worst GM's in Knick history.
Glen Grunwald has no pull, no clue, a pawn in the D'oh-lan empire.

4 years of no real PG (other than stinky Puhon) to run the MDA SSOL.
it could have been Marbury, but MDA benched him for personal reasons.
N8 could have tried, but MDA booted him for personal reasons.
Felton could have run the show for 2 years, but once again, D'oh-lan stepped in and
traded away 3 years of rebuilding for Melo, with Zeke's encouragement.

It's been downhill ever since the last time Knicks went to the Finals, and why
is that? James F*cking D'oh-lan! He's responsible for Sprewell leaving, for
Camby leaving (2 main factors of the last finals squad). He's responsible for
Jeff Van Goody leaving, and for Donnie Walsh leaving. He's responsible for
hiring Zeke, and MAKING him GM AND coach at the same time.

This team has needed a quality PG to run the show and passed on a number
of guards in the draft... Jennings, Lawson, Augustine, etc. It all comes back
to the top... an idiot a-hole runs the show, someone who spends 3/4 billion
refurbishing Garden to make it more appealing to high-roller corporation$,
and then charges the fans more money, gets MSG taken off Time Warner
because they won't pay same money they charge other carriers, etc.

I'm actually getting tired of writing the same thing over and over.
I love the Knicks, but I hate the organization.

metrocard

Legend
hmmm just as many as J Kidd, RJ, and KMart went with the Spurs in the finals that year. But Starbury had a game winning 3 pointer, making him more clutch and a better all around player then Ason Kidd ever dreamed of being

*EDIT*

Almost forgot what I came here to say...

STAT is the problem.

His nickname says it all...

All hes ever cared about is Stats, maybe if he made a few hustle players here in there...

His decision making when his jumpers not falling for him reminds me of a Rookies, just like his defense

The added muscle has taken more of his athleticism away, almost as much as those Knee surgeries took

Amerie must get his shot blocked more then any other player in the league

Amare making 100 million is a good enough reason for the NBA to have not settled the strike, Id pay him half that to retire. The Knicks are back? FOH with that sh*t unless u mean it clown...go back to the Sons. Nash is the only reason why Amare's making that 100 milli, he should give at least half that to Nash.

I used to think Bosh was the softest player in the league. Its very clear now that Amerie Stouderetire is the softest, most overrated PF in the NBA. No team could ever win a championship with him in the starting lineup

Strong post.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
D'oh-lan runs the show, a clueless, non-basketball mind, with the continued
encouragement of Zeke Thomas, one of the worst GM's in Knick history.
Glen Grunwald has no pull, no clue, a pawn in the D'oh-lan empire.

4 years of no real PG (other than stinky Puhon) to run the MDA SSOL.
it could have been Marbury, but MDA benched him for personal reasons.
N8 could have tried, but MDA booted him for personal reasons.
Felton could have run the show for 2 years, but once again, D'oh-lan stepped in and
traded away 3 years of rebuilding for Melo, with Zeke's encouragement.

It's been downhill ever since the last time Knicks went to the Finals, and why
is that? James F*cking D'oh-lan! He's responsible for Sprewell leaving, for
Camby leaving (2 main factors of the last finals squad). He's responsible for
Jeff Van Goody leaving, and for Donnie Walsh leaving. He's responsible for
hiring Zeke, and MAKING him GM AND coach at the same time.

This team has needed a quality PG to run the show and passed on a number
of guards in the draft... Jennings, Lawson, Augustine, etc. It all comes back
to the top... an idiot a-hole runs the show, someone who spends 3/4 billion
refurbishing Garden to make it more appealing to high-roller corporation$,
and then charges the fans more money, gets MSG taken off Time Warner
because they won't pay same money they charge other carriers, etc.

I'm actually getting tired of writing the same thing over and over.
I love the Knicks, but I hate the organization.
I'm getting very disgusted too....I used to be pumped for Lee and Nate taking on contenders, now I worry about the Knicks taking on the Wizards.