Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With the way things are looking....

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    I agree with a poster on another thread that the Knicks are not particularly fun to watch -- and this goes beyond how badly they have played so far this season. I am, have always been, and will continue to be a Knicks fan, but even Minnesota is playing more exciting basketball than the Knicks.

Carmelo is a fantastic offensive player, but a game of constant isolation plays is not entertaining. Amare is not as good an isolation player, and needs some help from a good point guard or other ball and player movement. Amare has looked incredibly clumsy this year.

Shumpert has deservedly taken some hits lately from frequent poor shots and and otherwise poor shooting. Although I am ignorant about the intricacies of basketball "plays," I cannot even see the semblance of a play developing. Perhaps that is one of Shumpert's problems, he shoots because he is not instructed to start plays or otherwise facilitate the development of planned plays. I do not see any movement to open space with disciplined picks and, perhaps due to the plethora of isolation plays, there is constant standing around the perimeter and rarely any kind of purposeful player movement.

I am concerned that we are again the victims of assuming that an assemblage of individual stars will automatically make a successful "team." We have no depth whatsoever, only one first round pick over the next three years, and three stars who will for several years wholly monopolize our cap space.

I am not ready to give up, however. I am likely counting too much on Baron solving our point guard problems. I am convinced that whether or not D'Antoni is a capable coach, he is not a good coach for this team. I see a change, if not this year, next year. Although Shumpert has been "chucking" at times, many of the shots he has taken were not bad shots -- he just keeps missing. He has got to be frustrated. He needs some time. But he is a keeper.

In the meantime, it is not pleasant watching the Knicks play.

Fantastic post. You're spot on bro!

No poster described our current situation better so far.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    I've said this a thousand times already, Shumpert is a chucker, if nobody's going to straight him up he'll keep his 25% chucky chucking all the time. IMO he once told himself (in third person of course): "Shump is better than Kobe and Wade combined, Shump can hit all the shots"... In the last three games combined he went 13 of 45 (28.8%).

Shump should not be playing the PG over Bibby & TD (clueless coach decision).
    Shump's raw style have to be develope into NBA form as an energy combo-
    guard off the bench. Shump's decision-making as a floor leader was poor in
    college, and Im sure it showed in Knicks practices.

In TD rookie season he was not ready to start over Nate Robinson & Larry Hughes,
    which caused conflict/havoc between Nate/Hughes vs Dantoni.

TD shouldve started all games this season....punk Dantoni shouldve made
    Tyson, or Stat, or Melo, always come out and screen/pick for TD on every
    offensive possession so TD could go around the screen to get a clear pass
    to his teammate....none of our 3 frontcourt bigmen ever screen or pick for TD....
    but we all notice on every defensive possession TD is always running into a bigman
    screen/pick to stop TD from pressuring our oponents PG.

When u watch a Chicago Bulls game everytime PG-D.Rose got the ball in
    movement u see screens set for D.Rose come out of every where from their
    Bigs "Noah, or Gibson, or Booser, or Deng, or Astic"....do u see our rookie
    Jorts being taught to come-out to set high screens or low picks for our PG to
    go around to setup Jorts for a pick n roll? HELL NO!
    Rookie Jorts shows good inside presense so our coaches should be working on
    Jorts posting up down low twice a game. Rather than have 6.10 Jorts on the
    3-ball line on offense. Clueless coach decision!!!

Veteran

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    I agree with a poster on another thread that the Knicks are not particularly fun to watch -- and this goes beyond how badly they have played so far this season. I am, have always been, and will continue to be a Knicks fan, but even Minnesota is playing more exciting basketball than the Knicks.

Carmelo is a fantastic offensive player, but a game of constant isolation plays is not entertaining. Amare is not as good an isolation player, and needs some help from a good point guard or other ball and player movement. Amare has looked incredibly clumsy this year.

Shumpert has deservedly taken some hits lately from frequent poor shots and and otherwise poor shooting. Although I am ignorant about the intricacies of basketball "plays," I cannot even see the semblance of a play developing. Perhaps that is one of Shumpert's problems, he shoots because he is not instructed to start plays or otherwise facilitate the development of planned plays. I do not see any movement to open space with disciplined picks and, perhaps due to the plethora of isolation plays, there is constant standing around the perimeter and rarely any kind of purposeful player movement.

I am concerned that we are again the victims of assuming that an assemblage of individual stars will automatically make a successful "team." We have no depth whatsoever, only one first round pick over the next three years, and three stars who will for several years wholly monopolize our cap space.

I am not ready to give up, however. I am likely counting too much on Baron solving our point guard problems. I am convinced that whether or not D'Antoni is a capable coach, he is not a good coach for this team. I see a change, if not this year, next year. Although Shumpert has been "chucking" at times, many of the shots he has taken were not bad shots -- he just keeps missing. He has got to be frustrated. He needs some time. But he is a keeper.

In the meantime, it is not pleasant watching the Knicks play.
    Oldtimer....stop the bull. Dantoni shouldve been FIRED 2 seasons ago.
    u want to see a play the Mavs used on every postseason team last year that
    worked consistently.....Kidd bring up the ball going around a high screen set
    by Marion, while Marion is setting his screen for Kidd, Tyson Chandler is
    setting his screen for Dirk, both Kidd & Dirk goes around their screens at the
    same time with Kidd hitting Dirk with the ball for a cutting dunk.
    Headcoach Rick Carlylisle ran that same play on various teams as headcoach
    of the Detroit Pistons, and headcoach of the Indiana Pacers.

Please name me one play u seen Dantoni run consistently using 3 or more players
    in his 9 year NBA career as headcoach? and I will apologize for this response.