Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: Your expectations of our players is absurd

  1. #1
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Your expectations of our players is absurd

    This is probably going to be too long of a read for many of our posters whose attention span goes as far as watching 1 quarter of basketball before proposing that we trade Melo Stat and Tyson for D12 CP3 and Lebron. However maybe it will make a few people think twice.

    Our team right now is a complete joke. Our roster at first glance looks good but as a TEAM we lack any kind of cohesiveness or chemistry. We lack fundamental cogs that would turn this team into a solid one pretty much overnight. Lets talk about the players we have.

    Carmelo Anthony - Currently the best player on our roster not only by reputation but performances. However, I remember at the start of the season posting an article about MDA comparing Melo to Larry Bird and playing him as a point forward. I laughed at it then and people were like "no srsly smokes melo can be a playmaker!!!11eleven"... Uh, no, he can't. He's shown nothing more than glimpses of being a good assist man and when he does its purely because the other team is doubling the **** out of him. Melo is not Lebron. He's not Larry Bird. He's Melo, a 25ppg scorer and the best improvement we can hope to see from him is that he'll step up defensively, consistently.

    Amare Stoudemire - Regardless of his struggles, still the second best player on our team by the same criteria as above. Amare has played his entire career with a premier PG. We specifically brought in Felton on a 2 year "overpaid" deal for the purpose of having someone who could get STAT the ball. Even after trading Felton we had Billups, a savvy championship calibre PG with smarts. We don't have ANYONE on the team who can do this anymore so it should be no surprise that Amare is not functioning properly right now.

    Tyson Chandler - Is a 10ppg 10rpg 2bpg player we got for defensive purposes only. Offensively he's as useful as Jared Jefferies unless, yes you guessed it, he's playing with a solid PG. Once gelled and cohesive with Amare we should see some nice interior D on this team. It's not surprising that a team who is so crap offensively also struggles defensively because we have a desperation negative mindset right now and Tyson/STAT/Jorts will need a while before they are comfortable with each others floor positioning and know when their teammate needs help.

    Toney Douglas (29th pick) - Again, expectations coming in for this guy were silly especially after his performance in the playoffs. Our offensive genius coach saw Toney as a potential starting PG in the NBA. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. This guy has and always will be a legit scoring 6th man type of combo guard threat and should be used as such. Obviously he's suffered a huge blow to his confidence thanks to the position he's been placed in but as the season progresses and our team improves you can REALISTICALLY expect him to return to being a 15ppg scorer off the bench who can hit the 3 ball.

    Landry Fields (39th pick) - I genuinely wonder whether during his time with Andy Rautins posting youtube videos they DP'ed some peoples girlfriends on this site the kinda hate this guy has been receiving. The guy is a hard working 15-20mpg SG who should be anchoring the 2nd unit with solid fundamentals, fast break buckets, hustle, catch and shoot open opportunities, catch and drive the baseline etc. The guy can consistently contribute 8-10ppg 5 rebs and a steal which is more than anyone can ask for from a guy no one had even heard of 18 months ago. He is not and never will be a volume scorer/shooter and he should not be starting on this team, he should be coming in with TD to provide energy, size (at his spot) and hustle.

    Iman Shumpert (17th pick) - The way people harp on about this guy here you'd think he's the second coming of Chris Paul. Yet again this guy is not a distributor and up until this summer he could not hit an open jumpshot. He has improved leaps and bounds since then but he should not be a starting PG nor should he be jacking up shots like he's Michael Jordan. When Baron Davis returns I whole heartedly expect Shump to take the role of starting 2 guard and fingers crossed he will be able to defend, hit a three now and then and create a few scoring opportunities from his athleticism and the fact we will then have 3 legit scorers on the team.

    Mike Bibby - I only mention Bibby because he's the only actual PG on our roster right now yet he's not even that anymore. He played an entire season in Miami where he was never a distributor or playmaker he was purely there to keep the ball safe as it advanced across halfcourt and then give it up to Lebron/Wade. It's no shock his PG skills have gone when he's spent 2 years without using them and he's the wrong side of washed up.

    The rest of our team is barely worth mentioning, in regards to this discussion.

    So where do we go from here? Well firstly we get BD back and hope he contributes his usual 15/7 and can control the offense somewhat. At that point we can reasonably expect to score 100 on any given night and judging by our current defense that's plenty.

    Secondly, and I'd probably ejaculate a river of spunk that would drown my entire street if this happened, we need to replace MDA with someone who actually knows how to utilize players other than the PG/C in a pick n rollololololol. I have plenty more to say about MDA but it's not too relevant to the topic of expectations of our players.

    Currently on this team we really only have a couple of players who are underachieving and you can attribute a lot of that to confidence. Once the wins start rolling in, you'll see a whole new New York

  2. #2
    Superstar NYCLakerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    This is probably going to be too long of a read for many of our posters whose attention span goes as far as watching 1 quarter of basketball before proposing that we trade Melo Stat and Tyson for D12 CP3 and Lebron. However maybe it will make a few people think twice.

    Our team right now is a complete joke. Our roster at first glance looks good but as a TEAM we lack any kind of cohesiveness or chemistry. We lack fundamental cogs that would turn this team into a solid one pretty much overnight. Lets talk about the players we have.

    Carmelo Anthony - Currently the best player on our roster not only by reputation but performances. However, I remember at the start of the season posting an article about MDA comparing Melo to Larry Bird and playing him as a point forward. I laughed at it then and people were like "no srsly smokes melo can be a playmaker!!!11eleven"... Uh, no, he can't. He's shown nothing more than glimpses of being a good assist man and when he does its purely because the other team is doubling the **** out of him. Melo is not Lebron. He's not Larry Bird. He's Melo, a 25ppg scorer and the best improvement we can hope to see from him is that he'll step up defensively, consistently.

    Amare Stoudemire - Regardless of his struggles, still the second best player on our team by the same criteria as above. Amare has played his entire career with a premier PG. We specifically brought in Felton on a 2 year "overpaid" deal for the purpose of having someone who could get STAT the ball. Even after trading Felton we had Billups, a savvy championship calibre PG with smarts. We don't have ANYONE on the team who can do this anymore so it should be no surprise that Amare is not functioning properly right now.

    Tyson Chandler - Is a 10ppg 10rpg 2bpg player we got for defensive purposes only. Offensively he's as useful as Jared Jefferies unless, yes you guessed it, he's playing with a solid PG. Once gelled and cohesive with Amare we should see some nice interior D on this team. It's not surprising that a team who is so crap offensively also struggles defensively because we have a desperation negative mindset right now and Tyson/STAT/Jorts will need a while before they are comfortable with each others floor positioning and know when their teammate needs help.

    Toney Douglas (29th pick) - Again, expectations coming in for this guy were silly especially after his performance in the playoffs. Our offensive genius coach saw Toney as a potential starting PG in the NBA. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. This guy has and always will be a legit scoring 6th man type of combo guard threat and should be used as such. Obviously he's suffered a huge blow to his confidence thanks to the position he's been placed in but as the season progresses and our team improves you can REALISTICALLY expect him to return to being a 15ppg scorer off the bench who can hit the 3 ball.

    Landry Fields (39th pick) - I genuinely wonder whether during his time with Andy Rautins posting youtube videos they DP'ed some peoples girlfriends on this site the kinda hate this guy has been receiving. The guy is a hard working 15-20mpg SG who should be anchoring the 2nd unit with solid fundamentals, fast break buckets, hustle, catch and shoot open opportunities, catch and drive the baseline etc. The guy can consistently contribute 8-10ppg 5 rebs and a steal which is more than anyone can ask for from a guy no one had even heard of 18 months ago. He is not and never will be a volume scorer/shooter and he should not be starting on this team, he should be coming in with TD to provide energy, size (at his spot) and hustle.

    Iman Shumpert (17th pick) - The way people harp on about this guy here you'd think he's the second coming of Chris Paul. Yet again this guy is not a distributor and up until this summer he could not hit an open jumpshot. He has improved leaps and bounds since then but he should not be a starting PG nor should he be jacking up shots like he's Michael Jordan. When Baron Davis returns I whole heartedly expect Shump to take the role of starting 2 guard and fingers crossed he will be able to defend, hit a three now and then and create a few scoring opportunities from his athleticism and the fact we will then have 3 legit scorers on the team.

    Mike Bibby - I only mention Bibby because he's the only actual PG on our roster right now yet he's not even that anymore. He played an entire season in Miami where he was never a distributor or playmaker he was purely there to keep the ball safe as it advanced across halfcourt and then give it up to Lebron/Wade. It's no shock his PG skills have gone when he's spent 2 years without using them and he's the wrong side of washed up.

    The rest of our team is barely worth mentioning, in regards to this discussion.

    So where do we go from here? Well firstly we get BD back and hope he contributes his usual 15/7 and can control the offense somewhat. At that point we can reasonably expect to score 100 on any given night and judging by our current defense that's plenty.

    Secondly, and I'd probably ejaculate a river of spunk that would drown my entire street if this happened, we need to replace MDA with someone who actually knows how to utilize players other than the PG/C in a pick n rollololololol. I have plenty more to say about MDA but it's not too relevant to the topic of expectations of our players.

    Currently on this team we really only have a couple of players who are underachieving and you can attribute a lot of that to confidence. Once the wins start rolling in, you'll see a whole new New York
    Completely agree great post it seems like a lot of ppl on here don't really get basketball.

    Like I said in another topic just the fact of Baron Davis being in NY a competent PG will solve a lot of problems.

    The balls outta Melo's hands, like you said Melo isn't Lebron, Bird, or Pippen he's not a point forward he's a scorer and he needs to be spending most possessions getting to his sweet spots, fighting for post position, and just finishing not creating

    STAT and Chandler need a play maker to play at their full potential not to mention the fact that STAT is not like Melo he's a real iso player he needs the ball in motion his sweet spots.

    Iman Shumpert is not a starting NBA PG he is a SG thats better suited to play off the ball. Like Shumpert Fields is a off the ball player he needs to get the ball in motion coming off screens and cuts.

    I think Tony Douglas will be fine he just needs some more good games off the bench to get his confidence up.

  3. #3
    Member WNY_Knickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    449
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    "Landry Fields (39th pick) - I genuinely wonder whether during his time with Andy Rautins posting youtube videos they DP'ed some peoples girlfriends on this site the kinda hate this guy has been receiving. The guy is a hard working 15-20mpg SG who should be anchoring the 2nd unit with solid fundamentals, fast break buckets, hustle, catch and shoot open opportunities, catch and drive the baseline etc. The guy can consistently contribute 8-10ppg 5 rebs and a steal which is more than anyone can ask for from a guy no one had even heard of 18 months ago. He is not and never will be a volume scorer/shooter and he should not be starting on this team, he should be coming in with TD to provide energy, size (at his spot) and hustle."

    Largely agree with the post, but would like to see Landry consistently contribute 8-10 ppg 5 reb per game and a steal, and not blowing it defensively and turning the ball over too much. I like the dude, I really do, but right about now... ick.

    Hate to say it, but I feel I spend every year for every team I root for saying "well we'll be good when..."




    We'll be good when Baron Davis can play!!! Please? Seriously... please??!

  4. #4
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    I agree Landry has not played great lately especially some of his turnovers have been diabolical but again this can partially be attributed to us having no real ballhandler/distributor. When Landry catches the ball at the top of the key and is expected to see the open man its not surprising he gets stripped trying to focus on something that's not in his game.

  5. #5
    Superstar NYCLakerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Yea if go back and look at Fields at his best he's not Kobe he's not gonna catch the ball get in a triple threat and make some great play. He needs to be in constant motion getting the ball off of screens and cuts to the basket, thats part of the reason he also was such a good rebounder last year because he was constantly moving which resulted in him crashing the boards so much more than now.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default



    POY.

    I would copy stuff that was particularly salient and truthful...but that would be pretty much copying the entire post.

    Great point about how we overpaid a bit and seized Felton, because of the additional value it meant for our team, re:

    *Amare

    *D'antoni

    *The plan of having multiple star players, especially offensive forces

    **and we can retroactively apply this to what it'd mean for Chandler, offensively, as you pointed out.

    That, plus the ripple effects in how it has ripped apart the value of the already compromised surrounding cast that we have, re:

    *Douglas

    *Fields

    *And Shumpert, though to a lesser degree.

    Creates the current Frankenstein-like team we have.

    Plus, the NBA leading blackhole we always endured at Center, has essentially been replaced by Point Guard, if not our entire starting backfield.

  7. #7
    Veteran quiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    hey if tickets are going 20$ a pop then its all good, current prices these sorry no excuse lowlives should be making 95% of their shots if not more

  8. #8
    Moderator
    CoolClyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    2,472
    Rep Power
    20

    Default smokes signals


    dude, one of the best posts of the year, sums up perfectly what's going on, concerning realistic expectations.

    < I'd probably ejaculate a river of spunk that would drown my entire street if this happened, we need to replace MDA with someone who actually knows how to utilize players other than the PG/C in a pick n rollololololol. I have plenty more to say about MDA but it's not too relevant to the topic of expectations of our players>

    thank you for this post. i'm honored to have been creamed by you (no homo) in fantasy league last week.

  9. #9
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by quiggle
    hey if tickets are going 20$ a pop then its all good, current prices these sorry no excuse lowlives should be making 95% of their shots if not more
    Hey that's a fair point but a whole other discussion entirely.

    I'm just sick of people bashing players like Douglas, Fields, Melo (after his low scoring game)... Amare is kinda fair game right now but I still think he's going to be a great player for us once things fall into place. And on the flip side hyping players like Shump and having crazy expectations then coming back after a bad game and saying we should trade em.

    The other thread on the trading matter got it spot on, we aren't trading away our key pieces just because they currently don't fit. We are an incomplete puzzle right now, once we find that elusive corner piece that fell behind the sofa last Christmas we'll be on the right track... If you get the rather obscure analogy!

    Also we are lucky as hell that we managed to pick up Davis I'm honestly shocked the stars aligned like that, if we hadn't we'd be in for a world of hurt this season.

  10. #10
    Veteran KingofNy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,492
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    I agree Landry has not played great lately especially some of his turnovers have been diabolical but again this can partially be attributed to us having no real ballhandler/distributor. When Landry catches the ball at the top of the key and is expected to see the open man its not surprising he gets stripped trying to focus on something that's not in his game.
    Landry has been PURE GARBAGE! He's not defending the perimeter, he can't get around screens, he has NO confidence, he AIRBALLS shots, and he consistently turns the ball over.

    I'd rather have him and Andy Rautins hook up with my girlfriend. Laundry is trash.

  11. #11
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by KingofNy
    Landry has been PURE GARBAGE! He's not defending the perimeter, he can't get around screens, he has NO confidence, he AIRBALLS shots, and he consistently turns the ball over.

    I'd rather have him and Andy Rautins hook up with my girlfriend. Laundry is trash.
    Has Landry been playing badly? Yes. Is he the reason we lost today? No.

    Has he been playing worse than the rest of our backcourt? Not really.

  12. #12
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    This is probably going to be too long of a read for many of our posters whose attention span goes as far as watching 1 quarter of basketball before proposing that we trade Melo Stat and Tyson for D12 CP3 and Lebron. However maybe it will make a few people think twice.
    Honestly I stopped reading right there

  13. #13
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Honestly I stopped reading right there
    Sorry should have put a picture of naked STAT in there to keep your attention

  14. #14
    Veteran Sprewell-Houston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany/Mount Vernon NY
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Yes, I've read the article and all you do is defending our players, why they can't do this and can't do that.

    Losers go for excuses, winners just do things.

    And please stop to consistently remind us of where our young players were picked, that doesn't mean anything in pro sports.

    I could even counter your argument and mention that Rashard Lewis or Michael Redd were second round picks and made it to the All-Star game, Ben Wallace wasn't drafted at all....so cut the excuses for Fields and Douglas that we can't expect them to bee good because they were late first/early second round picks.

    I've had enough of those excuses.

    It's also pretty sad that a $100 million man like Stoudemire can't play the game of basketball without a good PG by his side, it's almost a joke!

    And last but not least: WE are expecting too much of our players? Are you kidding me? THEY ran they're mouth as soon as the lockout ended and we signed Chandler how good we are and that we're going for a championship!

    Now it's our fault?

    Open your ears man. They were talking the talk , especially Stoudemire and now they can't deliver, but it's all good as long as fans like you got their backs and find 100 excuses why the fail to do their job, it's the coach, their Draft position, the fans' expectations, the media etc.

    It's good to be an athlete folks, smokes will always back you up!

    Do they actually pay you for this?

  15. #15
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Yes, I've read the article and all you do is defending our players, why they can't do this and can't do that.

    Losers go for excuses, winners just do things.

    And please stop to consistently remind us of where our young players were picked, that doesn't mean anything in pro sports.

    I could even counter your argument and mention that Rashard Lewis or Michael Redd were second round picks and made it to the All-Star game, Ben Wallace wasn't drafted at all....so cut the excuses for Fields and Douglas that we can't expect them to bee good because they were late first/early second round picks.

    I've had enough of those excuses.

    It's also pretty sad that a $100 million man like Stoudemire can't play the game of basketball without a good PG by his side, it's almost a joke!

    And last but not least: WE are expecting too much of our players? Are you kidding me? THEY ran they're mouth as soon as the lockout ended and we signed Chandler how good we are and that we're going for a championship!

    Now it's our fault?

    Open your ears man. They were talking the talk , especially Stoudemire and now they can't deliver, but it's all good as long as fans like you got their backs and find 100 excuses why the fail to do their job, it's the coach, their Draft position, the fans' expectations, the media etc.

    It's good to be an athlete folks, smokes will always back you up!

    Do they actually pay you for this?
    their draft position is important, it ties directly into their expectations....which is what this post is all about. Its not here to defend players, but to bring a bit of peace to the board when fans say trade stat, melo, fields when they have a bad game. If you all believe that a new coach will change thingsw dramatically, then you should wholeheartedly support our players and UNDERSTAND why they arent functioning the way they should. When players numbers drop, you need to find a reason as to why they are under performing...you cant just put a tall guy at pf just because he has height if he's truly in his heart and mind a pg....eg. magic johnson.....could anyone imagine magic as a pf posting and toasting?
    we lose because we have no distributor and no bench......its not that difficult to assess...basketball is not a game of our starting 5 vs your starting 5...

    spot on post bro. (smokes)

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Mike D'Antoni Sucks Thread
    By abcd in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: Feb 06, 2012, 20:41
  2. 2011 Lockout: Players vs Owners vs Fans
    By NYallDay in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jul 21, 2011, 13:18
  3. RED's RANT! 3/28/11(Coach Logic)
    By Red in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 28, 2011, 14:18
  4. Replies: 63
    Last Post: Mar 20, 2011, 13:01
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep 17, 2003, 08:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •