Time to Bench Fields

KingofNy

Starter
I don't know about you guys, but Landry's play lately has made me want to throw my remote through the TV.

The guy gets abused on both sides of the court. He can't defend, he can't fight through screens, he's rediculously indecisive with the ball, he passes up open shots, he doesn't drive, he can't finish under the rim, consistently turns the ball over and he makes everyone on the team worse as soon as he steps on the court. From Airballs to badly missed shots, turnovers and just playing horribly, he needs to see the bench and earn his job as starter back. He's not playing like a starter, so why is he starting? Boggles my mind.

You guys have to see what I'm seeing. I just don't get how he's still starting on this team? I'd rather start Lin or Novak... At least Lin can dribble and Novak can shoot.

Fire D'Antoni!

quiggle

Starter
he's as an embarrassment to a Knicks player wearing number 2 after LJ as Eddy CUrry was wearing 34 after Oakley

KingofNy

Starter
^ what he said

I would waive him

I'm not about waiving him just yet but I would start with firing MDA and hiring Jeff Van Gundy. I think when Fields gets some good leadership and coaching from a "REAL" coach, he has the ability to improve.

Right now our guys are going out there and basically playing streetball with a few ISO's and pick and rolls, something Fields sucks at. He is good when he's in a system with designed plays that get him open. Right now Fields looks like he's a 3 year old riding a bike without training wheels. A better coach can fix him.

KingofNy

Starter
Check out this tweet I just sent Allan Houston:

@ALLAN_HOUSTON Hey man can you please talk to James about firing MDA? He's not even running plays and the players don't respect him. Please?

Everyone should send their views to him as well. Maybe just maybe he'll listen and say something to Dolan.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
At the very least Fields isn't shooting us out of games, though. He's still rebounding OK (not great, but better than it was at the start of the season), so it's not like the guy isn't trying, but he excels when he's supposed to make cuts and when he has plays that are designed for him to do well.

He's an off-ball player. He does well when he doesn't have the ball in his hands all the time - he just needs someone to facilitate for him. Kinda like Amar'e, a little bit.

The thing is, Melo, as ball-dominant as he has been, is actually a decent off-ball player himself. It's just that, because we don't have a PG who can actually dictate the offense, the ball ends up going to Melo since he's the only person who can score and then it turns into an iso-fest which the Knicks are very clearly NOT made for.

smokes

Huge Member
At the very least Fields isn't shooting us out of games, though. He's still rebounding OK (not great, but better than it was at the start of the season), so it's not like the guy isn't trying, but he excels when he's supposed to make cuts and when he has plays that are designed for him to do well.

He's an off-ball player. He does well when he doesn't have the ball in his hands all the time - he just needs someone to facilitate for him. Kinda like Amar'e, a little bit.

The thing is, Melo, as ball-dominant as he has been, is actually a decent off-ball player himself. It's just that, because we don't have a PG who can actually dictate the offense, the ball ends up going to Melo since he's the only person who can score and then it turns into an iso-fest which the Knicks are very clearly NOT made for.

Can I get a hallelujah!

He should either come off the bench as backup small forward or be traded.

Fields at SG ist just a terrible terrible misfit for us. He's the worst starting SG in the league by a countrymile. I think he might be better at the 3, playing around 18 minutes maximum off the bench.

KingofNy

Starter
He should either come off the bench as backup small forward or be traded.

Fields at SG ist just a terrible terrible misfit for us. He's the worst starting SG in the league by a countrymile. I think he might be better at the 3, playing around 18 minutes maximum off the bench.

I pretty much agree that Fields should play the 3 and only get about 18mpg.

The only thing Fields does well (LATELY) is rebound, but that's because he sits on the corner of the key waiting for rebounds rather than guarding the perimeter.

Watch tomorrow, once you notice it you'll see it happens almost every time he's on the court. He is also one of the main culprits of our "switching" problem. Because he's trying to crash the boards he gets stuck behind every screen that comes his way which ends up forcing us to switch and then Amare ends up covering his guy. Yesterday that accounted for at least 21 points, probably more. (I stopped counting at 18).

Until we get a true PG and a system where he is running and gunning, he should no longer be a starter. Sorry I was Laundry's biggest fan last season but I can't be a homer anymore for him, he's our biggest weakness. His new nickname is "Dirty" Laundry.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
He sucks right now. I think he'll snap out of it though and start to play at the very least ..decently.

Red

TYPE-A

The thing is, Melo, as ball-dominant as he has been, is actually a decent off-ball player himself. It's just that, because we don't have a... <INSERT ANSWER HERE>

Bold=-1 rep point for an 'Antoni-ism, and mentioning Melo as some sort of anecdote for Laundry Fields lack of everything.

'Antoni-ism An-tonee-is-m: to use an offensive excuse even though the team has better, more accomplished offensive players thus making this point both irrelevant and relevant in regards to demonstrating how defense is what's needed, but you fail to realize this.

Laundry (and anyone else NOT named STAT or Melo) is on the court primarily to DEFEND his position. He can't, period, end of story. Offensive ineptitude makes him as useless as tits on a bull.

<INSERT ANSWER HERE>= competent coach

He sucks right now. I think he'll snap out of it though and start to play at the very least ..decently.

The next poster I see wearing 'Antoni rose-colored goggles, I'm going to smack them to the floor and stomp on them.

He's sucked for months, please wake up.

He doesn't belong in the starting lineup and is only there because 'Antoni can't admit he was wrong. Had he been able to, not only would Folds not be playing/starting, but better, more qualified options would be.

That goes back to last year where 'Antoni had options, and goes towards our F.O. not acquiring (or resigning, or whatever) a quality starter to compliment our main stars. Maybe just maybe 'Antoni would have been able to work with and teach someone by now instead of wasting everyones time, money, and career forcing yet another player into a role that

1. he doesn't fit
2. doesn't compliment nor improve our squad defensively
3. emphasizes shooting as a priority

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

Take off those glasses, you look insane...

in a bad, ridiculous, embarrassing way. (no not just you Ron.)

Last edited:

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i say start bill walker...he gets caught on screens but better thn fields n gets called on some suspect fouls but he is more reliable then fields

petescud

Starter
He's a decent role player that would be an 8th man on most teams. He's not a bad bench player though. We start him cause thats how good a coach Dantoni is...