Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tired of needing the perfect team in order for bum coach to win

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    I think you mentioned hating on MDA for no reason. Correct? There are plenty of reasons.
    No I said, quoting someone else (not even my words), hating on the defense is just proof of hating him for no reason.

If you are angry at the defense this year, you aren't watching the games.

Way to comprehend reading though and accuse me of saying things I did not say. In fact, my own words were extremely critical of the job D'Antoni has done on the offensive end of the floor and as I will reiterate, again, there is no excuse for having no real scheme or plan with the offensive talent he has. There is no reason we should be playing so poorly offensively with the talent we have. Should we be an all-world-caliber offense? Without a PG probably not, but we have to be better than we are. With STAT and Melo we should be much more efficient than we are offensively.
    Last edited by KBlack25; Jan 18, 2012 at 22:52.

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    No I said, quoting someone else (not even my words), hating on the defense is just proof of hating him for no reason.

If you are angry at the defense this year, you aren't watching the games.

Way to comprehend reading though and accuse me of saying things I did not say. In fact, my own words were extremely critical of the job D'Antoni has done on the offensive end of the floor and as I will reiterate, again, there is no excuse for having no real scheme or plan with the offensive talent he has. There is no reason we should be playing so poorly offensively with the talent we have. Should we be an all-world-caliber offense? Without a PG probably not, but we have to be better than we are. With STAT and Melo we should be much more efficient than we are offensively.
    Dude. Admit it. I a way you are defending him. But a question for you.

Do you TRULY think MDA has a lot to do with the way the defense is playing this year? Honestly?

Dude. Admit it. I a way you are defending him. But a question for you.

Do you TRULY think MDA has a lot to do with the way the defense is playing this year? Honestly?
    I think it honestly has much more to do with Chandler (who, by the way, has been extremely unfairly criticized on this board for what he has brought to this team), but I am not in the huddles, I have no idea what is said and what isn't. The fact is the defense has been better than it has been in a long time, but the offense right now is a joke. And that's my issue with the way this team is run right now. Maybe Baron changes it, but I am not holding out hope. Fact is, the defense is better, and if you want to sit there and criticize D'Antoni for what is going on on the floor I have no issue with that. Just do it in a cogent manner that ACTUALLY reflects the product you see.

In what way am I defending him? You said, "In a way, you are." What way is that? By asking the criticisms lobbed in his direction to be fair? I don't equate being fair to somebody to defending them...

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    I think it honestly has much more to do with Chandler (who, by the way, has been extremely unfairly criticized on this board for what he has brought to this team), but I am not in the huddles, I have no idea what is said and what isn't. The fact is the defense has been better than it has been in a long time, but the offense right now is a joke. And that's my issue with the way this team is run right now. Maybe Baron changes it, but I am not holding out hope. Fact is, the defense is better, and if you want to sit there and criticize D'Antoni for what is going on on the floor I have no issue with that. Just do it in a cogent manner that ACTUALLY reflects the product you see.

In what way am I defending him? You said, "In a way, you are." What way is that? By asking the criticisms lobbed in his direction to be fair? I don't equate being fair to somebody to defending them...
    When you factor in that MDA probably has (0) zero effect on the defense being better this year (he's not scheming anything defensively) criticizing him for any part of the Knicks play or lack of play is fair game IMHO.

I dont see any big upgrade in the offense when BDiddy gets back. Its still the same philosophy. We'll live by the sword (3 point shot) and die by the same sword. We'll still have STAT and Chandler 15ft from the rim. We'll still shoot to many jump shots. We wont play a post up game. Its MDA's philosphy that's gonna kill this team. He doesnt have the shooters this year. He needs to adjust...

Veteran

When you factor in that MDA probably has (0) zero effect on the defense being better this year (he's not scheming anything defensively) criticizing him for any part of the Knicks play or lack of play is fair game IMHO.

I dont see any big upgrade in the offense when BDiddy gets back. Its still the same philosophy. We'll live by the sword (3 point shot) and die by the same sword. We'll still have STAT and Chandler 15ft from the rim. We'll still shoot to many jump shots. We wont play a post up game. Its MDA's philosphy that's gonna kill this team. He doesnt have the shooters this year. He needs to adjust...
    There might not be an upgrade in the offense, but you gotta be kidding if you think STAT and Chandler are still going to be 15 feet from the rim.

Toney Douglas could not make a pass worth **** in this offense - and this is an offense designed to make point guards look REALLY good. Hell, CHRIS DUHON looked good in this offense...Raymond Felton looked like an All-Star in this offense (and probably would've been if not for his Shumpert-like shot selection)...the fact that Toney Douglas cannot average 6 or more assists per game is a simple sign that this guy sucks at passing and will never be any good at it, ever.

Tommy Dee from The Knicks Blog wrote after last year's postseason loss that Chauncey Billups was doing a hell of a lot more coaching than Mike D'Antoni and was "making a lot more sense", as he wrote it.

Maybe that's why TD looked pretty awesome when Billups went down last year in the regular season and now looks like ass.

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    There might not be an upgrade in the offense, but you gotta be kidding if you think STAT and Chandler are still going to be 15 feet from the rim.
    Huh? That's where STAT was last year. So was Mozgov (sp) and any other big that MDA played. What offense have you been watching? They'll run the same exact thing they're running now with BDiddy. We may be a bit better, but when your offense is predicated on shooting threes, and rarely posting up you're fighting a losing battle at the start. It's a flawed philosophy at best. You have to hope the jumpers all falling all game long every game. When does that happen?

NEVER...

Superstar

This coach's deficiencies are quite apparent.

• Horrible rotations (as they have been since he started)
    • Worst Defensive schemes ever (switching on every play)
    • inability to adapt to a team that doesn't fit his only idea of how to play basketball
    The guy has finally gotten some good defensive players (Harrleson, Shumpert, Chandler); two of the greatest offensive scorers in the NBA; and people still make excuses.

We aren't the deepest team, for certain. But, the way we win and the way we lose are both horribly pathetic. Our team is better than what they are playing at.

D'Antoni is stifling their potential and slowing down any kind of progress. I have no misconception that we are not a championship team at the moment, but this is our team. We have some great pieces and MDA has NO IDEA what to do with them.

I said it last year and the year before. We will never win a championship with this coach. He has proven his ineptitude time and time again. He either needs to adapt to the players he has, or get the hell out of the way.

Superstar

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero

Toney Douglas could not make a pass worth **** in this offense - and this is an offense designed to make point guards look REALLY good. Hell, CHRIS DUHON looked good in this offense...Raymond Felton looked like an All-Star in this offense (and probably would've been if not for his Shumpert-like shot selection)...the fact that Toney Douglas cannot average 6 or more assists per game is a simple sign that this guy sucks at passing and will never be any good at it, ever.

Tommy Dee from The Knicks Blog wrote after last year's postseason loss that Chauncey Billups was doing a hell of a lot more coaching than Mike D'Antoni and was "making a lot more sense", as he wrote it.

Maybe that's why TD looked pretty awesome when Billups went down last year in the regular season and now looks like ass.
    Do you remember Duhon in this offense. I'm pretty sure he shot 17% behind the three point arc in his last season as a Knick. I cringed everytime he touched the ball, and he was our PG....

Veteran

Huh? That's where STAT was last year. So was Mozgov (sp) and any other big that MDA played. What offense have you been watching? They'll run the same exact thing they're running now with BDiddy. We may be a bit better, but when your offense is predicated on shooting threes, and rarely posting up you're fighting a losing battle at the start. It's a flawed philosophy at best. You have to hope the jumpers all falling all game long every game. When does that happen?

NEVER...
    What are you talking about? STAT played great for the Knicks in the first half last year. Hell, he even played OK with Chauncey Billups, a guy who does not fit into D'Antoni and Amar'e's style of play at all.

It wasn't until he got quite possibly the worst starting PGs in the NBA that he really started to look bad.

Veteran

Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    Do you remember Duhon in this offense. I'm pretty sure he shot 17% behind the three point arc in his last season as a Knick. I cringed everytime he touched the ball, and he was our PG....
    Surprisingly, he actually shot 34.9%. Strange, right? It felt so much worse than that back then.

Duhomo averaged 5.6 assists per game in his second year here and 7.2 assists per game in his first year here. That is WAY better than Shump and Douglas right now

KnicksonLIN.com

I know. Antoni sucks. He has two of the best players in the NBA, and he still finds a way to screw it up. This team should be 9-5, but Antoni refuses to play a halfcourt style offense. Anthony is an isolation player. Isolation players cannot play uptempo. They need time to create their own shot. And Stoudemire is being forced to shoot 18 foot jumpers. He should be playing down low for layups and dunks.

"Probably" has zero effect? You are assuming. You do not know. And that is my issue.

But if you are going to sit here and blame MDA for what is going on on the court offensively, you have to at least give him some credit for what goes on the court defensively, that's only fair.

This is ESPECIALLY true when I said last year I didn't think we had good enough defensive personnel to play good defense and you (and others) said the coach can MAKE a defense play well. Now that we have the players, it's the players and not the coach? So were you lying then or are you lying now? It's one or the other, either is acceptable, but at least admit your own hypocrisy here.

All I am asking is for consistency - the fact that this team's scoring is wildly inefficient with two of the best scorers in the league is not lost on me. But to blame MDA for what is not going wrong is shortsighted and unfair, that's all.

But, if you want to criticize the way this offense is run, I stand firmly behind that. Criticize all you want, just do it in a fair manner that accurately reflects the product we see. That's all.

Oh he gets credit for that deplorable defense last night, lol.

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Oh he gets credit for that deplorable defense last night, lol.
    Defensively we are eleventh in the league in points per possession. We are 23rd offensively in points per possession. Offensive efficiency is the issue.

STAT and Chandler switching onto PGs, while our guards try to deny/not get baptized by bigs is equally as big a problem as the offense. Teams will exploit that in the playoffs, it's ridiculous.

Stop it.

Plus, its not only that detail by itself, but it's the fact that is wasn't working in the first, but it was still employed in the 4th. Was the coaching staff watching the same game the rest of us were? How about you?
    Last edited by nuckles2k2; Jan 19, 2012 at 07:16.