Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: 20-26 since 'Melo arrived; Davis returning; DEN coming to town

  1. #1
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,381
    Rep Power
    11

    Default 20-26 since 'Melo arrived; Davis returning; DEN coming to town

    Knicks are 20-26 since trading for Carmelo Anthony.

    We're 6-8 this year. If being 2 games under .500 wasn't bad enough, let's also mention that we've faced the EASIEST schedule in the NBA so far.

    That is correct. We've had the luxury of starting the year off with the easiest schedule, yet we're still struggling. Methinks we haven't hit the low point yet: Any guess what DEN will do to us Sat night?

    What's gonna happen when we start playing the good teams?

    In essence, we'll be fortunate to play .500 ball against the good teams... the meaty part of our schedule. Since we didn't take advantage of the schedule so far... This also means we're going to have to dominate the sub .500 teams come March on. In other words, this NYK team will be in a dog fight to finish in the 5-7 range (and we might not even make the playoffs).

    We all hope Baron Davis will be the answer. We're somewhat encouraged by the defensive effort (for the most part), & we hope this all boils down to lack of execution in the 4th Q, which isn't odd for a new team learning to gel (& sans starting caliber nba guards).

    But raise your hand if you remember the last blow out? Is anything easy?

    Are we fools to think Davis-Melo-Amare-Chandler are enough to make something happen in the playoffs? Toss in a SG pickup b4 the deadline. Would a bench of Jeffries, Joorts, Douglas, Walker, Shumpert, Bibby be fine?

    Who knows.

    I think the one thing we have to remember though... We're 6-8 because Amar'e Stoudemire & Carmelo Anthony have come up small so far. Blame the lockout, the lack of experience playing together, not having a pg or sg, D'antoni, whatever... But this is the simple truth.

    IF either of our stars have been hot... we wouldn't be under .500. BUt both or ice cold. STAT doesn't even look like he cares.

    Like most of you though... It's practically unwatchable basketball. I long for the team we had last season. We can only hope Baron Davis re-energizes this squad, and can return to the PG we remember he was. If that happens, and we get hot... Here cmes the #5 seed. If not? Well, whoever has our draft pick will be happy.

  2. #2
    Veteran Sprewell-Houston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany/Mount Vernon NY
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Melo has not been ice cold, he's third in scoring in the league, had several 30+ games and has carried us in most games.
    He had a very bad game last night, but he's also playing injured, this is no excuse, but in a finesse sport like basketball it does make a difference when your wrist is hurting (not everyone is Kobe and can play through that, Melo is obviously not Kobe, but we all knew that before).

    I don't know what to expect from this team for the rest of the season, in general this season provides surprising results almost on a nightly basis. We might beat Denver on Sunday but lose by 20 in Charlotte....we might even beat Dallas or San Antonio but lose to the Cavs, Wolves and Raptors.

    This team is unpredictable, only thing I know is we're dreadful to watch this season and I'm sure we'll finish the season around 0.500 - just like last season and lose in the first round of the Playoffs.

  3. #3
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    929
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Melo has not been ice cold, he's third in scoring in the league, had several 30+ games and has carried us in most games.
    He had a very bad game last night, but he's also playing injured, this is no excuse, but in a finesse sport like basketball it does make a difference when your wrist is hurting (not everyone is Kobe and can play through that, Melo is obviously not Kobe, but we all knew that before).

    I don't know what to expect from this team for the rest of the season, in general this season provides surprising results almost on a nightly basis. We might beat Denver on Sunday but lose by 20 in Charlotte....we might even beat Dallas or San Antonio but lose to the Cavs, Wolves and Raptors.

    This team is unpredictable, only thing I know is we're dreadful to watch this season and I'm sure we'll finish the season around 0.500 - just like last season and lose in the first round of the Playoffs.
    ^^Totally agree.

  4. #4
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Denver

    The Denver game on Saturday should be very interesting. Both Denver and the Knicks play on Friday, thus it will be the tail end of a back to back for each. Denver, however, has been on the road for several games.

    Denver has been playing good basketball. They really run. This game could be devastating -- perhaps for D"Antoni. I am afraid we will be crushed.

  5. #5
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    We're 20-26 and Denver is 27-12.

  6. #6
    Member zshopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    The Denver game on Saturday should be very interesting. Both Denver and the Knicks play on Friday, thus it will be the tail end of a back to back for each. Denver, however, has been on the road for several games.

    Denver has been playing good basketball. They really run. This game could be devastating -- perhaps for D"Antoni. I am afraid we will be crushed.

    The more games we lose the closer they will be to getting rid of that monkey on the bench.

    and yes most likely we will get obliterated by Denver especially if Melo goes 5 for 22 again and stat 7/22!!!!! pathetic!

  7. #7
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Melo has not been ice cold, he's third in scoring in the league, had several 30+ games and has carried us in most games.
    He had a very bad game last night, but he's also playing injured, this is no excuse, but in a finesse sport like basketball it does make a difference when your wrist is hurting (not everyone is Kobe and can play through that, Melo is obviously not Kobe, but we all knew that before).

    I don't know what to expect from this team for the rest of the season, in general this season provides surprising results almost on a nightly basis. We might beat Denver on Sunday but lose by 20 in Charlotte....we might even beat Dallas or San Antonio but lose to the Cavs, Wolves and Raptors.

    This team is unpredictable, only thing I know is we're dreadful to watch this season and I'm sure we'll finish the season around 0.500 - just like last season and lose in the first round of the Playoffs.
    To base your assumption that Anthony has not been ice cold, on the amount of times he has scored 30+ points is not the right way to approach things. I can take 100 shots in a game and have 30 points; that doesn't mean I was particularly good does it.

    Some basic research on Anthony's stats demonstrates that he has been well below average despite his points tally:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    The amount of shots he's been taking is unreal and could have been passes to make for far better and secure plays. I like Anthony, however he appears to feel the need to carry the entire Knicks team on his shoulders right now. Whether it's his lack of confidence for the rest of the team's abilities or he is just a ball hogger is undetermined; What's definite however is that he can lose a game for us as often as he can win one. He needs to evolve his game.
    Last edited by TakMan; Jan 19, 2012 at 10:50.

  8. #8
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Trade Melo + Douglas + Fields (or Shump) to NJ for DWill + Morrow + Shawne Williams, sign Kenyon Martin and lets go compete for a championship. Lord knows this roster isn't going anywhere, regardless of the coach. And an old Baron Davis as our starting PG is not going to be our savior. You can count on it. Amare is untradeable so forget thinking about getting anything for him. One of them has got to go and we know Amare and Chandler will be dominant with the right PG and shooters on the wings.

    PG-DWill
    SG-Morrow
    SF-Williams
    PF-Amare
    C-Chandler

    w/ Baron Davis, Shumpert, Martin, Harrelson, Novak off the bench.

    That is a contender right there. We would be Lob-City East. The only bad defender is Amare. Depth, good balance of offense/defense, ball movement, shooting, and a devastating pick-and-roll that could be run with any combo of PG/PF/C.

  9. #9

    Default

    I understand that people are calling `Melo a ballhog but has anyone considered that he is taking too many shots because he knows that no-one else is going to score?

  10. #10
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Trade Melo + Douglas + Fields (or Shump) to NJ for DWill + Morrow + Shawne Williams, sign Kenyon Martin and lets go compete for a championship. Lord knows this roster isn't going anywhere, regardless of the coach. And an old Baron Davis as our starting PG is not going to be our savior. You can count on it. Amare is untradeable so forget thinking about getting anything for him. One of them has got to go and we know Amare and Chandler will be dominant with the right PG and shooters on the wings.

    PG-DWill
    SG-Morrow
    SF-Williams
    PF-Amare
    C-Chandler

    w/ Baron Davis, Shumpert, Martin, Harrelson, Novak off the bench.

    That is a contender right there. We would be Lob-City East. The only bad defender is Amare. Depth, good balance of offense/defense, ball movement, shooting, and a devastating pick-and-roll that could be run with any combo of PG/PF/C.
    Do you understand what you've just proposed?!

  11. #11
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    929
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Trade Melo + Douglas + Fields (or Shump) to NJ for DWill + Morrow + Shawne Williams, sign Kenyon Martin and lets go compete for a championship. Lord knows this roster isn't going anywhere, regardless of the coach. And an old Baron Davis as our starting PG is not going to be our savior. You can count on it. Amare is untradeable so forget thinking about getting anything for him. One of them has got to go and we know Amare and Chandler will be dominant with the right PG and shooters on the wings.

    PG-DWill
    SG-Morrow
    SF-Williams
    PF-Amare
    C-Chandler

    w/ Baron Davis, Shumpert, Martin, Harrelson, Novak off the bench.

    That is a contender right there. We would be Lob-City East. The only bad defender is Amare. Depth, good balance of offense/defense, ball movement, shooting, and a devastating pick-and-roll that could be run with any combo of PG/PF/C.
    I though we stopped with the crazy trade talks around here.

  12. #12
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Scipio
    I understand that people are calling `Melo a ballhog but has anyone considered that he is taking too many shots because he knows that no-one else is going to score?
    Melo has been a ballhog his entire career. He drove George Karl crazy with it.


    Originally Posted by TakMan
    Do you understand what you've just proposed?!
    Do you understand that Baron Davis and a new coach is not going to make this team a contender?

    This roster is severley flawed and Amare is untradeable. Something has got to give.

  13. #13
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    929
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Melo has been a ballhog his entire career. He drove George Karl crazy with it.




    Do you understand that Baron Davis and a new coach is not going to make this team a contender?

    This roster is severley flawed and Amare is untradeable. Something has got to give.
    In sports it's always the coach who goes(fired)before the players, i hope this holds true with this lunatic owner of ours.

  14. #14
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,381
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Carmelo demanded that we trade for him. He knew he was only risking a few million a year if he waited DEN out, reaching free agency.

    He knew if he simply signed w/ NYK in the Summer, the team would be in a better position to surround him w/ talent to compete for a title.

    Felton/Douglas
    Gallo/Shumpert/Walker
    Carmelo/Fields
    Amar'e/Joorts
    Moz/Jeffries

    Who knows if we get Davis, if Felton is here.

    So, would we deal Felton-Gallo-Moz, & the rights to Wilson Chandler for Tyson Chandler & Baron Davis? Tough call? Depth might be better than the better PG/C, mainly b/c with Melo & Amar'e... we don't need the better PG/C tandem, we need shooters & depth.

    Anyway, Carmelo should shoulder the burden of success/failure. He forced our hand, put the org in this situation... CARRY US or else.

    It's ood, b/c Carmelo is exactly what we need in the post season, but not in the reg season. We saw against BOS what Carmelo could be, but we also saw (and are seeing) that for every dominating hot streak, there's plenty of duds mixed in between.

    With CA, it's about volume. Hitting the game winner often doesn't atone for all the games he fumbles away victory.

    We'll see...

  15. #15
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by mafra
    Carmelo demanded that we trade for him. He knew he was only risking a few million a year if he waited DEN out, reaching free agency.

    He knew if he simply signed w/ NYK in the Summer, the team would be in a better position to surround him w/ talent to compete for a title.

    Felton/Douglas
    Gallo/Shumpert/Walker
    Carmelo/Fields
    Amar'e/Joorts
    Moz/Jeffries

    Who knows if we get Davis, if Felton is here.

    So, would we deal Felton-Gallo-Moz, & the rights to Wilson Chandler for Tyson Chandler & Baron Davis? Tough call? Depth might be better than the better PG/C, mainly b/c with Melo & Amar'e... we don't need the better PG/C tandem, we need shooters & depth.

    Anyway, Carmelo should shoulder the burden of success/failure. He forced our hand, put the org in this situation... CARRY US or else.

    It's ood, b/c Carmelo is exactly what we need in the post season, but not in the reg season. We saw against BOS what Carmelo could be, but we also saw (and are seeing) that for every dominating hot streak, there's plenty of duds mixed in between.

    With CA, it's about volume. Hitting the game winner often doesn't atone for all the games he fumbles away victory.

    We'll see...
    I hate posts like this. There are so many things you're not taking into consideration. If there was no Melo trade, the draft could have easily went a different route for us. We may have drafted two different players. Antoni only plays 7-8 guys so other than Felton who's really that important that we don't have now? Mozgov? Gallo?

    The only difference is we'd be able to play the high scoring basketball that Antoni likes but we'd still give up just as many points so what does it matter? We got Melo AND Billups, which we flipped into Melo and TC. Replacing a good PG is much easier than replacing a defensive center. Shawne Williams (aka Gallo 1a) chose to sign in NJ which had nothing to do with the Melo trade.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jan 10, 2012, 22:45
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Dec 23, 2011, 10:26
  3. The Davis effect
    By TakMan in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Dec 20, 2011, 12:40
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb 12, 2010, 11:22
  5. Replies: 117
    Last Post: Jun 28, 2009, 19:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •