• Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni said he understands the fans’ anger that resulted in “Fire D’Antoni” chants during Friday’s loss to Milwaukee, the team’s fifth straight. “They’re right,” he said of the fans. “I think every coach understands you can’t come out and play bad and then say, ‘Oh, I’m doing my job.’ We gotta change some things up and get better….It’s my responsibility at the end of it.”
  • D’Antoni said he’s not worried about Carmelo Anthony trying to do too much against his old team. “I don’t think so,” he said. “I think he’ll be fine but it’s more about us trying to function as a good team.”
  • Anthony visited several former teammates, including former Knick Al Harrington, in the Nuggets’ training room. “It wasn’t no tears,”Anthony said. “Just stuff that needed to be said.”
  • D’Antoni on facing his old player Danilo Gallinari, who was dealt in the Melo trade: ”Gallo’s a good player. He’s smart, he’s big…they’re playing well.”
  • Gallo on returning to New York: “I’m a Nuggets now. I played the playoffs last year with the Nuggets and I started this season with the Nuggets so I’m happy to be back but I’m a Nuggets player.”
  • Denver coach George Karl on Gallo; “He’s been better than I thought he would be….He’s a really bright young basketball player.”
  • For the Nuggets, Arron Afflalo (torn groin) won’t start, and will be replaced by Andre Miller. Rudy Fernandez (strained right Achilles tendon) is also “definitively out,” Karl said. Nene (strained left heel) will return.
  • D’Antoni said Baron Davis could return next week. “It’s hard to say, ‘Yeah, he’ll be ready a week from today’…But he’s getting closer.”
Notes before the game from NBA.com