Denver Nuggets @ New York Knicks 01.21 7:30PM

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
We were up by 10+ with Lamelo on the bench, everyone was involved and as soon as Carmelo was back in the game he started bricking contested shots. Everyone watching this game, the crowd and even Breen and Clyde saw and pointed out who ruins this team by his selfish play. I don't understand how this celebrity dickhead couldn't see that attacking the basket or moving the ball and getting it back once open he would be more effective. This game should be done within 48 minutes of playing time and we should have outscored Denver... it's great Carmelo's clutch but that was him who's responsible for getting us into crunch and double OT...
Gallo outplayed him by playing wisely, look what happened with Amare, he played pretty okay but he didn't shoot even once in the 4th and both OT's, because Lamelo was chucking... Denver won this game without FIVE of their major players...

Carmelo is a defensive wizard because I've never seen anybody shut down Stoudamire as effectively as he has by simply denying Amare the ball. Did he ever pass the ball to him, just once? It's ridicolous how selfish he is. Most overrated "superstar" in NBA, hands down.

Miami will tear us apart.

I can see Lebron going for 50 or a triple double, something like 30/12/11.

We're close to the Isiah-type 8 game losing streaks now......

Imagine Miami was next and not Charlotte....that would be the final blow.

The Knicks are lucky that two winnable games come up against Charlotte and Cleveland.

A Miami, Chicago, Clippers schedule would end our season right here.

Eman

Benchwarmer
Amar'e had nine 30+ point games in a row last year (11/28/10 - 12/15/10). Any chance he'll get one game above 30 this season?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@Eman: depends on his chemistry with Baron, if it clicks, then it's possible, if not, then he'll be struggling all season long...

And why the **ck is Amare wearing grillz? That **it was so 2007, instead of wasting money on pointless jewelry he should be working on his defense. Man this team ****ing blows! We built our team around the two most laziest "stars" in the NBA that have ZERO heart or leadership, and they both have the lowest bball IQ I've ever seen in my life. Lebron and Wade are light years ahead of them. They know how to be leaders. Kobe, Paul, Lebron, and Wade are LEADERS, they lead by example with their defense and they make their teammates better. Lebron and Wade spent the summer together bonding while Amare and Melo were just procrastinating the team workouts they said they were going to start. We better hope that MDA gets fired soon and we replace him with someone who is an upgrade and will hold players accountable for their mistakes. And that Baron Davis will fix the stagnation of this shitty offense and will be the leader that this team needs badly.

pat

Starter
Many poster on here roasted LJ4PtPlay for pointing out all the flaws in the Melo "plan" last year. The guy deserves credit for being right all along.

mafra

Legend
Miami will tear us apart.

I can see Lebron going for 50 or a triple double, something like 30/12/11.

We're close to the Isiah-type 8 game losing streaks now......

Imagine Miami was next and not Charlotte....that would be the final blow.

The Knicks are lucky that two winnable games come up against Charlotte and Cleveland.

A Miami, Chicago, Clippers schedule would end our season right here.

We were blown out in CLE last year. I think we lost to them again. There are no winnable games anymore. We are as bad as any team in the NBA. Not saying we can't or won't win, but on any given night... You're not sure what to expect. NOTHING comes easy for this group.

They could get it rolling. Sure. But unless Davis is FANTASTIC, we're in serious trouble.

iSaYughh

Starter
Many poster on here roasted LJ4PtPlay for pointing out all the flaws in the Melo "plan" last year. The guy deserves credit for being right all along.

It's way too early to say.

LJ's points have always been valid and viable, though. But it's still way too early to say if he's actually been "right", on what kind of player Melo is, and how he will be for us.

We got raped in the trade, no doubt, and bent over to our ankles for DEN -- but it was just another reminder of the haunting reality we have *always* been on guard of, even as Walsh helped undo damage and things on surface were steadily improving: we are still a franchise run by James Dolan.

Melo played pretty phenominally in the playoffs....when we were so injury-ravaged and depleted...Yet, is that *why* Melo was able to shine so bright. Because it was all about him.

There is one (and maybe one other) players in the league who is actually good enough to have the entire team run through them, and have very little supporting cast, and still actually give you a chance to win, and win a title.

Obv, Lebron.

MDA needs to reign Melo in, and orchestrate an offense where Melo simply isn't able to cut off the entire flow of our offense, and have him holding the ball doubled teamed, while our teammates float around unguarded.

Tough to orchestrate an offense on the court, however, and facilitate optimal play out of players like Melo and Amare on court at the same time, when you simply do not have a starting point guard, and the one combo guard who has some passing skills is a raw rookie.

MDA's true litmus test:

*whether we turn things around with a healthy Baron, and have an actual NBA point guard on the team

*whether we have a contingency plan in place for how to correct the offense, if Baron isn't healthy.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
MDA's true litmus test:

*whether we turn things around with a healthy Baron, and have an actual NBA point guard on the team

*whether we have a contingency plan in place for how to correct the offense, if Baron isn't healthy.

I agree with that. I don't like what he's done, and I don't know if there's any legitimacy behind the idea of him implementing a contingent plan.

I'd add that he has to stop taking it out on the lower ranks: Walker, Douglas - when the entire team is so frustratingly out of sync. Walker has been the vicarious whipping boy since opening night. That's unfair, IMO. Some true and deserved accountability for Amar'e and Melo. STAT for his defensive ineptitude, Melo for his sulking and jacking. Jacking of the basketball, not the meat flute.

If you're going to let them do what they want, they still have to be corrected in their mistakes. I don't get how that's not happening.

Also, there needs to be a more methodical and cognitive approach in regard to plays designed for necessary situations. I think we all know that, mind you.

fender0577

Rotation player
Crazy⑧s;198280 said:
I agree with that. I don't like what he's done, and I don't know if there's any legitimacy behind the idea of him implementing a contingent plan.

I'd add that he has to stop taking it out on the lower ranks: Walker, Douglas - when the entire team is so frustratingly out of sync. Walker has been the vicarious whipping boy since opening night. That's unfair, IMO. Some true and deserved accountability for Amar'e and Melo. STAT for his defensive ineptitude, Melo for his sulking and jacking. Jacking of the basketball, not the meat flute.

If you're going to let them do what they want, they still have to be corrected in their mistakes. I don't get how that's not happening.

Also, there needs to be a more methodical and cognitive approach in regard to plays designed for necessary situations. I think we all know that, mind you.
No accountability for the stars, i have been saying this all year.Melo takes 3, 27 foot jumpers with hands in his face, and this guy is yelling at TD for not getting back on the long rebounds, SMH.Last night, STAT not getting a shot in the 4th and the first overtime is unexceptable, what is this doing just watching Melo jack up bad shot after bad shot.Melo needs a coach that's gonna pull him aside and tell him he's hurting the team, not in a derogatory way, but let him know he has to trust his teammates, sorta like PHIL JACKSON had to do with KOBE after Shaq left.

iSaYughh

Starter
Crazy⑧s;198280 said:

If there isn't, than MDA should go. It would be gross derilection of duty.

You can't expect us to be as good without Baron, than we would be with Baron. But we should still show improvement, based off cognitive adaptation, regardless. Especially when it is decided whether or not we will be moving forward this season as a team based rudimented by Baron Davis as our point guard. It's a truly pivatol question.

I understand that ideally MDA, on the fly even..and even temporarily...should switch things up to make us move a bit better *now*, even if things will radically change (for the better) when Davis gets in...

But the reality is, coaches are stubborn. Especially good ones. And they demand players and management mold to them and their signature styles and systems, over years.

There's an obvious -- and understandable -- reasoning behind Phil Jackson being so selective in what teams he coaches, and wanting such talent on them. Besides the obvious one, of him wanting to win and be able to create a champion out of champion-caliber players...it's that he has no patience, or desire, or inclination that it would even be logical or prudent to coach a team with players who can't play his brand of ball, and play it well.

So yes, MDA should go if we legit will not be getting him a starting PG who can play up tempo (of which there are many), and some shooters with range.

But that isn't a knock on MDA as a coach. Really, it's a knock on Dolan and management for being dumb****s and not commiting to a plan with the ruthless dedication and logic necessary to make a plan come to true fruition.

If you simply do not like, or believe "SSOL"...fine, but the man still has a Coach of the Year award, an excellent pedigree of players flourishing under him, and a record of accomplishment with a TRUE contender (ie, not some team like the Hawks, or Magic, but a team who truly COULD have won, nobody would have been surprised, but that simply didn't for all the variables and whims of sports that hold teams back...not unlike our Knicks under Prime Ewing Years).

iSaYughh

Starter
Re: Jackon and Kobe...I agree.

But also remember that that was a very difficult undertaking for Jackson, it didn't happen overnight....and Jackson already had a virtually career-long relationship with Kobe, and had been to war with him for years, and won titles.

That isn't an excuse for MDA to not take similar steps, and that he should not make progress in that area.

But this is a players' league, for better worse, and our NBA players (especially stars) are who they are. It's not like the NHL, where if a player acted like Melo (or Amare), they would be benched and told to get the **** off the ice -- by coach AND teammates.

fender0577

Rotation player
Re: Jackon and Kobe...I agree.

But also remember that that was a very difficult undertaking for Jackson, it didn't happen overnight....and Jackson already had a virtually career-long relationship with Kobe, and had been to war with him for years, and won titles.

That isn't an excuse for MDA to not take similar steps, and that he should not make progress in that area.

But this is a players' league, for better worse, and our NBA players (especially stars) are who they are. It's not like the NHL, where if a player acted like Melo (or Amare), they would be benched and told to get the **** off the ice -- by coach AND teammates.
Yeah, i know it won't be easy, but after watching last nights game, i don't think antonis even trying to curb some of these horrible shots.I think he's even encouraging them, and that's why i can't stand this coach anymore.

quiggle

Starter
i give dantoni this one game, because this allowed him to stick it to dolan for gutting the team and on top of that Gallo got his career high so it makes it sweeter