Mike D'Antoni is fine with Melo shooting 16% in 3 quarters.

nuckles2k2

Superstar

I've been posting this vid everywhere. It had me irate last night, and I'm still mad.

Melo is shooting 40%
STAT is shooting 41%

Their coach said he doesn't look at stats "in that manner."

I don't even know anymore.....

Yea, Melo is shooting too much, but is he hearing that from his coach? You can't just willingly let the inmates run the joint, can you?

Maybe I have it all wrong.

Maybe coaches aren't supposed to employ various tactics to reign in a player. Be it one-on-one conversations, manipulation thru the media, play calling, benching, etc.

Maybe....when you have a coach...he's not really there to coach.

Am I crazy for thinking that this is a ludicrous statement by a man who's allegedly a professional basketball coach?

What's going on right now?

The head coach literally said that he doesn't look at field goal percentage "in that manner" and people are wondering why STAT and Melo have such poor percentages.....from the field? Really?

It is absolutely up to Melo to stop shooting so much, but even Phil Jackson ran the majority of plays for Kerr in practice to let Mike know "hey, stop being such a ball stopper" meanwhile MDA says.....he doesn't look at stats in that manner.

For christ's sakes people...

Last edited:

Scipio

Benchwarmer
Sack him, sack him now. How the bloody hell can you be an NBA coach and say something like that.

How the hell does he look at them then, what the hell is he thinking when he looks at those percentages. This guy shouldn`t be allowed to coach anybody in the world of basketball ever again.

If hes isn`t sacked now, in the next few days, then we are sunk and this season will be completely lost.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Sack him, sack him now. How the bloody hell can you be an NBA coach and say something like that.

How the hell does he look at them then, what the hell is he thinking when he looks at those percentages. This guy shouldn`t be allowed to coach anybody in the world of basketball ever again.

If hes isn`t sacked now, in the next few days, then we are sunk and this season will be completely lost.

Excellent questions.

How that was not the next question in the press room, is beyond me. A man making $6M just said he doesn't look at a player shooting 2 for 12 as a bad thing cause they were up 8, and what's more, he doesn't look at stats in that manor.

Can I stress the point that he said he doesn't look at shooting percentages "in that manner?"

That line alone should have everyone one on this forum up in arms. Instead dudes are pondering trades with Orlando, and lamenting Melo for being selfish.

Meanwhile, his coach said it's cool if his players shoot a terrible percentage cause....yanno.....you're looking at 'em wrong.

Un****ingbelievable.

Last edited:

KBlack25

Starter
Please please can we just correct this b/c this is bothering me:

man?or/ˈmanər/
Noun:
A large country house with lands.
(esp. in England and Wales) A unit of land, originally a feudal lordship, consisting of a lord's demesne and lands rented to tenants.

man?ner (mnr)
n.
1. A way of doing something or the way in which a thing is done or happens. See Synonyms at method.
2. A way of acting; bearing or behavior.
3. manners
a. The socially correct way of acting; etiquette.
b. The prevailing customs, social conduct, and norms of a specific society, period, or group, especially as the subject of a literary work.
4. Practice, style, execution, or method in the arts: This fresco is typical of the painter's early manner.
a. Kind; sort: What manner of person is she?
b. Kinds; sorts: saw all manner of people at the mall.

Sage

Rotation player
If these guys played as a team and worked a solid inside/outside passing strategy, there'd be better shots.

There were actually examples of this in the Denver game where we'd send the ball inside, pass back, then an extra pass to find the open man and those shots were dropping. Even Douglas hit a 3 using this strategy.

If the team was doing this and the guys were still hitting 40%, I'd have a similar response, there's just nothing you can do about it until the slump is over.

Obviously you'd like to see a complete offensive game, with drives, post up, etc. But if you want to shoot jump shots, at least give yourself the best chance to hit it.

KingCharles34

All Star
I think Mike Antoni has too much respect for his two stars and hes afraid to rip into them once in a while. Amare needs someone to get on him (no homillz)

Theres easily enough talent for this team to be above .500

knickerbocka176

Benchwarmer
the reason he is taking so many shots is because fagtoni has him as the "point foward" him with the ball in his hands to begin will just end up with him throwing it up no matter where he is. when baron davis comes back he will be the one who chooses when melo shoots and i believe baron is smart enough to know when melo should have the ball or not

Last edited: