Baron Davis likely to play against the Rockets or Pistons

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Baron Davis is likely to participate in his first practice today and the Knicks are shooting for the injured point guard to make his debut Saturday in Houston for the finale to their four-game road trip, according to sources.

The Knicks prefer to start Davis on the road because there would be less pressure for him to perform. But if he has the slightest setback during practices, then his debut would be pushed back to the first game back, against the Pistons at the Garden next Tuesday.
If there were no setbacks in his running drills yesterday, Davis, suffering from a herniated disc, is expected to be cleared this morning but his first practice could be limited.
Davis has, as expected, beat the timetable his agent, Todd Ramasar, set in mid-December of ?at least eight to 10 weeks.??
Davis has been reluctant to publicly set a date because it hinges on his day-to-day progress and he doesn?t want to be disappointed.
?Every team goes through adversity,? Davis said. ?This is our adversity. There was all the hype about us winning the championship. Judge us at the end of the season. Our goal is to be ready by April.??
* The Knicks announced an hour after Saturday?s game rookie center Josh Harrellson?s fall late in the first OT caused him to break his right wrist and he?ll be out six weeks, with surgery scheduled this week.
Harrellson has been an important piece to the rotation, playing in all 16 games, averaging 18.5 minutes, 5.3 points and 4.3 rebounds, and has been praised often by coach Mike D?Antoni for his strong defense and ability to hit 3-pointers.
* Rookie Iman Shumpert again experienced cramping and missed most of the two OTs. Before games, Shumpert, who had 18 points, seven assists and two steals against the Nuggets, has been eating stacks of sliced melon to combat dehydration.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/davis_close_to_returning_tLmI2DViFgHffzj0qkvN9L#ixzz1kIa2abhs

Starks

Starter
Damn, who would have thought that when we signed Baron Davis on a whim, he would have the team on his shoulders by mid season.

fender0577

Rotation player
Damn, who would have thought that when we signed Baron Davis on a whim, he would have the team on his shoulders by mid season.
HAHA, but i doesn't have to be, just get a coach that actually believes in a little defense and we'll be fine, with this team as constructed.Hell i'm tired of watching my PG battling 7 footers in the damn post, this is insane.

KingofNy

Starter

I don't know but I'm happy as hell to have him back. It's a shame Jorts is hurt because he would of been a big beneficiary of Davis' return.

tiger0330

Legend
Last I heard he was due back end of Feb. Great news if it's end of Jan. I have no confidence that this is going to make the Knicks better, I was thinking the Knicks would be an upper tier team with Stat/Melo and Chandler so I give up with predicting.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I've digged out some Baron stuff:

http://www.twitvid.com/5IALO

@alanhahn: Baron Effect already evident in scrimmage. Offense has a leader. Some passes are great but some met with surprise. Will take time. #Knicks

@alanhahn: Another observation of Barons first practice: he's been extremely vocal and intense.

@alanhahn: Fatigue will be the obvious issue early on for Baron along with developing a chemistry with teammates. But game is definitely still there.

@alanhahn: DAntoni said Baron would be brought slowly into the mix. Spot mins. Conditioning and timing are the major hurdles. #Knicks

@Baron_Davis: Hooped for the 1st time in months. Knicks Training staff is great! They get the credit! Lots of work ahead! #blessed #happytobeaknick.

@alanhahn: D'Antoni didn't rule it out completely. We'll see. RT @TheFeigster: @alanhahn any chance Baron plays tom? Let's say a blow out in any form?

http://knicksnow.com/videos/342

New New York

Quiet Storm
Last I heard he was due back end of Feb. Great news if it's end of Jan. I have no confidence that this is going to make the Knicks better, I was thinking the Knicks would be an upper tier team with Stat/Melo and Chandler so I give up with predicting.

Weather BD is the answer or not, the question around our team entering this season was at the PG postion so no way should we have expected to be able win without sound PG play

Again, it is hard to know at this point if BD is that answer but that is where it begins and ends for us

We all hate Melo's shot selection and the way Mike Dantoni is using him, but truth be told, without a playmaking PG, that is sadly our best option, the same can be said for all the 3's taken

Shump has helped us see glimpses of how good the offense will look with a playmaking PG, the problem is that while Shump is so dang talented he can run the point some, this is just not his natural position

I'll say it again, if we get the BD that played with The Cavs at the end of the season, we'll be 5 or 6 above .500 around mid March and looking solid heading into the playoffs

but who knows....will the injury begin to torment him after a back to back to back or even a 4 game in 6 night stretch?

How soon will he learn what he has described as a "sophisticated offense"

where will our record/team moral be if and when he does catch on?

Red

TYPE-A
Weather BD is the answer or not, the question around our team entering this season was at the PG postion so no way should we have expected to be able win without sound PG play

Again, it is hard to know at this point if BD is that answer but that is where it begins and ends for us

We all hate Melo's shot selection and the way Mike Dantoni is using him, but truth be told, without a playmaking PG, that is sadly our best option, the same can be said for all the 3's taken

Shump has helped us see glimpses of how good the offense will look with a playmaking PG, the problem is that while Shump is so dang talented he can run the point some, this is just not his natural position

I'll say it again, if we get the BD that played with The Cavs at the end of the season, we'll be 5 or 6 above .500 around mid March and looking solid heading into the playoffs

but who knows....will the injury begin to torment him after a back to back to back or even a 4 game in 6 night stretch?

How soon will he learn what he has described as a "sophisticated offense"

where will our record/team moral be if and when he does catch on?

*Yawn

Wake me up when we figure out we're in America and not Europe.

KingofNy

Starter
:teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:

LOL ... I wonder what position we're going to need next for D'antoni to succeed after all the non-believers find out Davis isn't the savior? You can't fix a broken system without firing the coach. We could have 5 all-stars and that still wouldn't be enough. Some fans here would still blame the stars when they're not winning. Oh wait, they do. ;)

knicksin60

Starter
If Baron Davis comes back the Knicks have to go on a seven game winning streak in order to reach .500.There is no way that the Knicks are going to win another game until they have a real PG.Right now they're worse than the post Van Gundy Knicks.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Baron looks like he's in pretty good shape. He did a good job of not fattening up without any physical exercise for the past few months.

kimbo.jpg

jzero29

Rotation player
Davis

The thing about the knicks, we miss chauncey billups and/or ray felton(hate to admit it) they were actual point guards. Shumpert is a shooting guard at heart and mentality. With the ball in his hands, he has the open shot, he shoots. He has no concept of getting the ball to the stars and working his game off theirs. Tony douglas is more of a point guard, but isn't as talented.
Barron Davis is the knicks only hope. The addition of chandler is great but the loss of billups was devastating...we need a PG in the worst way. If things don't turn around 1 month after he's been playing then the knicks need to think about things.

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
All these posts come back to the same fact.

It's the coach, or should I sat lack of coaching?

Coach got Stat last year = Knicks were fairly good.

Coach then added Melo = Knicks got a little worse.

Coach then added Chandler = Knicks now a lot worse.

Coach - "Oh, wait til we get BD on the floor".

Please! Coach is afraid to confront star players and demand they take the responsibility to work their talent within a team concept.

Would JVG, Phil Jackson, Doug Collins, etc. watch Stat never touch the ball for half a game, watch a a scrub team nails 17 3's and make no changes?

jzero29

Rotation player
Agree with CLYde

All these posts come back to the same fact.

It's the coach, or should I sat lack of coaching?

Coach got Stat last year = Knicks were fairly good.

Coach then added Melo = Knicks got a little worse.

Coach then added Chandler = Knicks now a lot worse.

Coach - "Oh, wait til we get BD on the floor".

Please! Coach is afraid to confront star players and demand they take the responsibility to work their talent within a team concept.

Would JVG, Phil Jackson, Doug Collins, etc. watch Stat never touch the ball for half a game, watch a a scrub team nails 17 3's and make no changes?
I watched a game, where Shumpert was 0-7 before he hit a shot, while melo and amare didn't shoot at all and all while the grizzlies built up a double digit lead! He wasn't benched, and continued to shoot 15 first half shots! Ended 5 of 20, with 3 assists...in a game where amare only took 7 shots. carmelo only 11 shots. Makes no sense not to bench a rookie who's shot was off, but kept firing it up and not setting up teamates. Not sharing...putting pressure on amare and melo, to make something happen when they get the ball. Then they have to play selfish and force it to get their shots. A coaches job, terrible coaching.
I like shumpert, he can score, but a coach has to reel him in and direct the ball to melo and stat. He shouldn't ever shoot more then either of them, ever. He can be a great player if he's coached...oh well guess thats not gonna happ

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Yawn???? does the truth bore you?

Be it Europe or USA we need a PG, my post was not an endorsement to Dantoni's style, just stating the facts!

No, just tired of this shell game of what 'antoni needs to successfully integrate his European style in the NBA.

I'm wondering when everyone will admit that there comes a time when what's needed is too overzealous and the fact that we still need someone won't cure poor fundamentally unsound approaches and play. When?

Next it'll be, B Diddy is good, but we need a better PG who can defend as well, and perhaps a better defensive coach. Smh

As if a player will detract from shooting 35 3's... or when trying to hold a lead, a player will detract from 3 turnovers and 4 missed three pointers as we blow said lead. Baffling and perplexing to say the least.

Saying "we need better, more capable players to improve" is a) overstating the obvious as ANY team who loses can say this, b) won't cure ineffective European approaches to the game.

Wake me when we realize this.