Really dumb move by Melo and whole organization

New New York

Quiet Storm
So it appears Melo has pulled himself out of the next two games due to his poor performance and needing rest for his injuries

By why these two and not Charlotte and Clev. ?

In all actuallity he shouldve rested for 3 games starting with Denver, yet I get it why he wanted to be out there against Denver and we did need him

But why not Charlotte and The Cavs? We showed that we wouldve won without him against the Bobcats and showed we would have lost with or without him against The Cavs (because no one could keep Anderson Varrejo off the boards) but now the choice by him and the coaching staff is to sit him out?

This creates a lose lose for him,because it is likely that we lose both in which case he is blamed by some (like me) for sitting out the wrong 2 games, or imagine if we win both without him, then you will have people in the media and posters all over the net claiming we "better without him"

I know you don't coach and decide to rest yourself based on public perception....fine, but what kind of affect does it have on the locker room when your best player and team capo decides to sit out the most difficult and right now the most important game of the season?

Poor choice top to bottom!!!!

I agree he should've been resting along time ago. With that said I don't blame him necessarily for taking these 2 games of specifically, but I can see why some fans would be upset.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Better late than never

He should have sat out because he was hurting the team and himself.

Who we were playing did not matter then, and should not matter now. This is not the playoffs, which is the only time you might consider playing that hurt.

As for hurting the team, perhaps it is a silver lining, because his attitude needs to change, and if he were more effective perhaps never would have.

Until he understands that he is hurting the team even when he scores 45 and shoots 60% from the floor, if the ball does not move and the team defense is not there, let alone what he has been doing lately, we will never win a championship.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Big game against the Heat and Melo is taking the night off. Trade this guy out of here.

Why is this a big game? Its only January. It's more a big game for the fans because we want to see all the star players between these teams on national TV.

p0nder

Starter
Melo needs to rest. he should have rested ages ago but his damn ego got in the way. now he NEEDS to rest and it sucks cause we need him against lebron who he always dominates against.

All i can hope is that him and baron have good conversations on the bench in street clothes and come back together to lead the knicks on a tear through the rest of the season.

joegti10

Banned
Why is this a big game? Its only January. It's more a big game for the fans because we want to see all the star players between these teams on national TV.

Well, if you look at the standings about 1/4 into the season, as of today the Knicks are not in the playoffs...

joegti10

Banned
Well lucky for us the playoffs don't start today.

All I can say is hopefully Baron Davis can carry the team on his bad back. Not going to happen. This team is headed nowhere but south in the standings unless major changes are made. First with Dantoni, second with shipping out Melo.

nyk_nyk

All Star
All I can say is hopefully Baron Davis can carry the team on his bad back. Not going to happen. This team is headed nowhere but south in the standings unless major changes are made. First with Dantoni, second with shipping out Melo.

Wow, so you give up on Melo THAT quickly? You're basically suggesting that no matter who the coach is, Melo will bring the team down. DEN performed just fine with him. They were always competitive in the tough western conf.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Now they're even more competitive, Carmelo fans just don't see that the Nuggets are completely rebuilt, some players developed, some were drafted. Remember the 2007/08 season? Denver got swept in the first round despite having Carmelo, Iverson, Camby, JR and K-Mart... mostly because Carmelo's chucking, only Camby and Carter who aren't real shooters averaged lower FG% than Anthony (36%).
Carmelo doesn't make anyone on his team better, without Billups probably he would never pass the first round...

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Resting Carmelo

I do not think that it is a bad idea to rest Carmelo so that he can deal with these relatively minor but nagging injuries. It is probably also a good idea not to rush Baron. If they both come back together it will be a new start and perhaps this period of truly dismal basketball will cease.

There was an ESPN article about Amare and the state of his current play. It was not encouraging. His injuries could be well on the way to eroding his signature athleticism. I am not too happy with our prospects going forward. Perhaps a healthy Carmelo and a healthy Baron will improve those prospects. I can wait a few days. Besides, it was not likely -- given our current play -- that we would have beaten either Miami or Houston.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Now they're even more competitive, Carmelo fans just don't see that the Nuggets are completely rebuilt, some players developed, some were drafted. Remember the 2007/08 season? Denver got swept in the first round despite having Carmelo, Iverson, Camby, JR and K-Mart... mostly because Carmelo's chucking, only Camby and Carter who aren't real shooters averaged lower FG% than Anthony (36%).
Carmelo doesn't make anyone on his team better, without Billups probably he would never pass the first round...

All of that is true, but if you think Denver is getting past the Thunder or even the Blasers with Gallo, Rudy, Ty, Birdman, and Nene....you're wrong.

Denver is a great regular season team, they're not a title contender. A team with Carmelo, Amar'e, and Tyson, with some competent coaching, is a title contender. Our bench isn't great, but you can't say it's terrible with Jordan, Lin, and even Renaldo getting essentially 0 mins. Those are a few bodies that can be pigeonholed into specific roles on a contending team to supplement a strong starting 5 that plays inside-out to showcase their dominant front line.

Denver never won anything with Melo, cause Melo had very little help. He's never been on a team with the likes of Amar'e and now Tyson. Now that he has those guys, two of the 3 have been taking the most ridiculous shots for about 16 of the 18 games they've played so far.

How can you assess anything when Melo basically carried the team in the playoffs last year, only to have two victories in Boston stolen by bad calls and poor coaching, with an injured Amar'e and an absent Billups; and this year, MDA has yet to alter the approach?

Do we know what kind of devastation possibly awaits the other 29 teams if Melo is feeding the ball to STAT in some 3-4 two man game?

How will we ever know that unless it's implemented?

I mean....I know 2K12 is just a video game...but when I run some pick-and-roll with STAT & Melo....I feel like I'm cheating. It feels sort of dirty.

How come we haven't seen it at least one time in roughly 1,746 possessions?

Coach.....hello?

KingCharles34

All Star
They might wanna put the Spurs and Wolves on ESPN instead. And whats the deal with no Lakers or Clippers tonight? smh @ tonights schedule

I don't understand the sharpness in context with Melo, what has he done that you guys are so angry at him?

Stoudemire on the other hand has acted like a complete fool, apart from 4 months of good basketball. It's obvious that he only signed for the $100 million and he's more busy with his off-court stuff than playing the actual game. No dedication, no sacrifice.

tiger0330

Legend
He's taking a couple of sick days, so what. He's a head case now anyway, no confidence in his shot or game, we might actually get something out of this if the idiot coach takes his minutes and gives it to Lin and Novak. If coach doesn't play the new guys, hopefully Walker, Bibby can fill the void.

Wargames

Starter
Big game against the Heat and Melo is taking the night off. Trade this guy out of here.

he just doesn't want to lose on national television..... this is getting worse and worse guys .... idk the Knicks need someone smarter in that building man. Dolan seems like the type of guy who is smart enough to know he is stupid and resents anyone smarter than him outshining him. A smarter person would of sat Melo out especially after that 1 point game victory let him heal and then have him be redy for the national game and even more importantly the return of Baron Davis. No one thought of this though in that entire organization. A player is taking himself out of the game due to injuries not the coaching staff who is riding him like a horse or the management that is paying for all of it.

KingofNy

Starter
I honestly think Melo's been too hurt to play for awhile now and his publicist probably told him that it's not a good idea to go out and play against the Heat on national TV tonight when he's not at his best. Too many people will judge him as a failure if he doesn't perform, and his reputation is important to him. I don't blame him.

Paul1355

All Star
So it appears Melo has pulled himself out of the next two games due to his poor performance and needing rest for his injuries

By why these two and not Charlotte and Clev. ?

In all actuallity he shouldve rested for 3 games starting with Denver, yet I get it why he wanted to be out there against Denver and we did need him

But why not Charlotte and The Cavs? We showed that we wouldve won without him against the Bobcats and showed we would have lost with or without him against The Cavs (because no one could keep Anderson Varrejo off the boards) but now the choice by him and the coaching staff is to sit him out?

This creates a lose lose for him,because it is likely that we lose both in which case he is blamed by some (like me) for sitting out the wrong 2 games, or imagine if we win both without him, then you will have people in the media and posters all over the net claiming we "better without him"

I know you don't coach and decide to rest yourself based on public perception....fine, but what kind of affect does it have on the locker room when your best player and team capo decides to sit out the most difficult and right now the most important game of the season?

Poor choice top to bottom!!!!
I agree, knicks have no answer and its like they are trying to avoid the truth....that Mike D experiment has failed and playing Toney Douglas just ruins any change of winning.

Melo should of sat against the bad teams. To not play against the Heat surprised me, especially how Melo is a competitor.

Lost a little respect for Melo on this one.