PER statistic

nixon7

Benchwarmer
I am not saying that PER is the definitive stat. I recognize that every team has one or two PER anomalies (a player rated highly that does not play much, or a useful role player who is low on the PER chart).

However, it is at least interesting how many players on the Knicks are anomalies in comparison with how D'Antoni uses (or doesn't use them):

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/ny/cat/PER/new-york-knicks

#1 Jeremy Lin
#4 Renaldo Balkman
#6 Jerome Jordan
#8 Steve Novak

Also, bottom two (by a long shot) are Jeffries (sixth man) and Douglas (starter).

Also, read the NY Time article on how the coaches have hurt Fields' game (rather than develop his talents and play to his strengths). Add to this, Amare almost never getting the ball where he is most effective. Add to this, Shumpert's regression during the season (played much more under control at the start of the season).

Jordan in particular drives me crazy. He is a solid post defender, rebounder, shot blocker, and intimidator. He has a post game, and a decent mid-range shot.

Balkman vs. Jeffries I also find interesting. Both are defenders, but Jeffries mostly takes charges and is passive defensively; whereas Balkman is an active defender and has improved his offense, in particular is not a ball stopper (which Jeffries often is).

Novak is also confounding, especially when the Knicks are bricking threes. He was good enough to play on better teams than the Knicks are right now (just as Sheldon Williams, Corey Brewer, and Jordan Hill have been).

Lin I can sort of understand. I think he would be better than Douglas if allowed to play, but he has been a bit out of control when he gets minutes. However, either he is just trying too hard and would benefit from regular minutes (so he can relax) or the Knicks need to acquire Jamal Tinsley (3rd string on Utah) or Aaron Miles (best PG in the D Leagues). They will need a true PG to back up Baron Davis, just as they need a true backup center so Tyson Chandler can play freely, rather than constantly terrified of foul trouble and injury.

Thoughts? Comments? Accusations?

Am I on target? Or way off base?

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Team I envison

Position Starter Backup 3rd string, etc.
C Chandler Jordan Stat
PF Stat Harrellson Novak, Jeffries
SF Melo Balkman Walker, Novak, Jeffries
SG Shump Fields Douglas, Walker
PG Davis Miles Bibby or Lin

You can argue that Fields should start over Shump right now, partly because he is more effective with the starters, partly because Shump might add more oomf to the second team.

It may be that Aaron Miles is not available, or that Lin really should be the backup PG. This is also arguable either way. It is hard to know without giving both some real floor time and proper coaching.

Clearly this is not how D'Antoni sees the world, but I venture to guess any number of other (more traditional) coaches would align with these players better.

KingofNy

Starter
Position Starter Backup 3rd string, etc.
C Chandler Jordan Stat
PF Stat Harrellson Novak, Jeffries
SF Melo Balkman Walker, Novak, Jeffries
SG Shump Fields Douglas, Walker
PG Davis Miles Bibby or Lin

You can argue that Fields should start over Shump right now, partly because he is more effective with the starters, partly because Shump might add more oomf to the second team.

It may be that Aaron Miles is not available, or that Lin really should be the backup PG. This is also arguable either way. It is hard to know without giving both some real floor time and proper coaching.

Clearly this is not how D'Antoni sees the world, but I venture to guess any number of other (more traditional) coaches would align with these players better.

Jeffries/Douglas shouldn't EVER see the court. There's no way in hell they deserve to have more than 5 mins playing time per game, MAX.