Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MDA Truth Serum Thread: Only Facts Need Apply

Veteran

Mainly to Red: I'll reply to your post(s) later; I haven't had the time or brain power to do them their justice in understanding and responding to them.

I'll quickly reply to unloopme, though, since I was probably going to include this analysis in regard to Red's post:

SSOL is SOL without high % perimeter shooters and an effective distributing PG.
    What teams are very effective without an effective distributing PG/playmaker, and some high % perimeter shooters?

*Note the sudden emergence of a legitimate starting PG coinciding with the team's sudden emergence.

PGs

Celtics -- Rondo

Thunder -- Westbrook

Bulls -- Rose

MIA -- Lebron

Mavs -- Kidd

Spurs -- Parker

*Grizzlies -- Conley

*76'ers -- Holliday

And those teams, especially the best ones, have either placed a premium on having top of the line outside shooters with range and currently have them on their squads...*or*, they desperately desire having such shooters, to solidify their ability to win a championship.

Nobody criticized Spoelstra or Thibs for falling short, and having weak outside shooters being a major role in that.

That's the GM's job.

Just like Saver, during the Suns' championship window, notoriously tightened his pockets (and traded *away* talent). And thus, the Suns' never had a legitimate starting C on their team. Unless you want to argue a way past his prime Shaq, who fit the *team* (not the coach, not the system, but the TEAM) as poorly as a player could.

This can carry over into a "Why didn't the Suns ever win a chip?" The same reason many people or teams in sports do not win titles and championships, despite them being absolutely good enough to do so.

Randomness and variance (which you can simplify and call "luck"), plays a role in sports, just as it they do at a poker table.

The fact that MDA's Suns had such repeated success over large sample sizes during the seasons, and were put in such excellent positions *to* win is what you can -- and should -- base the approaches' validity upon.

Saying they weren't a "tough enough" team is just a rationalization. That they didn't have good enough D is a great point; having better D would have vaulted the Suns' chances to winning those titles and being unstoppable.

But that they legitimately were razor thin margins away from toppling that Spurs dynasty, and were certainly good enough and coached well enough to beat them, can't be denied.

I actually hope that D'ant survives this year, and in the offseason we sign Steve Nash, Grant Hill, and other veterans who are capable 3 pt shooters who can fit that role (someone like a Battier, James Jones).

I know it all sounds like a pipe dream, but I still believe in him. Unfortunely whenever you have Amare and Melo on the same squad, expectations are naturally high. And we've surrounded them with no 3 pt shooters, no point guard, and no talent.

And fans in NY were all expecting championship when this roster just doesn't MESH like last year's did. That's why our wins and losses are so ugly to watch.

I do believe Nash, Hill, and 3 pt shooters could make us an elite team with a healthy STAT, and Melo.

I know my opinion is probably going to be shi**ed on by most, but I don't want to break up a team AGAIN. Just my 2 cents.

this team would be incredible with ray felton...it couldnt be more obvious that whats wrong with this team is the pg situation.

Veteran

CLOSE this THREAD!!!

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    CLOSE this THREAD!!!

LMAO.

KnicksonLIN.com

lol at the Antoni lovers trying to make a claim for Pringles.

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    CLOSE this THREAD!!!
    Isiah Thomas >>>> Mike Antoni

Originally Posted by abcd
    Isiah Thomas >>>> Mike Antoni
    facepalm...

I may know nothing about the technicalities of coaching, but it's common sense that he's terrible.

His system is perfect for college. NBA, not so much.

Superstar

SSOL is a system that predicates a fast paced offense and quick shots at the expense of setting up the best shot.

The truth of the matter is that the most efficient shots are those right under the basket. There is a reason good post-up players have a premium on them in this league.

SSOL also leads to more fast breaks for opponents (long shots = long rebounds = quick run outs), while also hurting defense. When you run your players rampant, it leads to fatigue (especially in a shortened season like this) and more injuries.

Players like Amar'e and and Melo are literally worth 100s of millions dollars. D'Antoni's system runs them into the ground.

The priority should be on easy buckets, which quick buckets don't necessarily make.

The Knicks are currently playing at the second fastest pace in the NBA. 42 three pointers were shot two nights ago (at a pretty good percentage) and they still lost. SSOL is and always has been a flawed system.

Basketball is a simple game. Defense and easy buckets. D'Antoni's system does not lead to either.

What perplexes me the most is that D'Antoni tries to stick to this system when he knows he doesn't have the shooters or the point guard. To me this is really what makes him a bad coach. He doesn't know how to adjust to his team.

Look at Philly. They don't have the best team. They truly don't. Their players are average. However, Doug Collin's plays a system that enhances their strengths and masks their deficiencies. Someone made reference to Jrue Holiday, who is a great player, but not having a great season. Players matter, but so does coaching.

MDA doesn't know how to maximize the potential of this team. SSOL is not going to work. It didn't work with Pheonix, and will not work with this team.
    Last edited by MusketeerX; Jan 29, 2012 at 23:19.

Knicks got a coach that got his fame from a great PG that was a an MVP and he still couldnt get to a championship.

He is not a winner.

Ive vented too many times about Mike D and his flaws.

The Mike D experiment has failed.

We need a change.

Wow guys are really into this dude

Veteran

No point in debating whether Damnphony is a good coach because his s**t record with the Knicks speaks for itself. That's a fact. I don't see many of the games being here in the CHI but what I saw Friday night was an eye opener:

1) For a coach known for offense, none whatsoever. Just whoever is open throw the ball toward the goal no matter where you are on the floor.

2) Terrible defensive rotatations. I mean the worst. Letting guys go baseline instead of sending them to the middle where there is help waiting, poor closeouts leading to wide open shots, and as our old coach JVG pointed out terrible floor balance which led to the dunk contest.

3)Not even knowing how to run a simple fast break. Our point guards(lol) refuse to give up the ball on fast breaks leading to charges and missed layups.

Its obvious that Nash was the straw that stirred the drink in Phoenix, not Damnphony. The good news is Melo/Stat are locked up and there is a nice mix of vets and young talent on this team. Damnphony is coaching himself out of a job this year so as much as it will hurt, we need to miss playoffs this year. Then we can get Phil and the line and bring the triangle to NY.

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    I may know nothing about the technicalities of coaching, but it's common sense that he's terrible.
    Best thread post.