Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lin never practiced with Amare and Chandler

Originally Posted by knickerbocka176
    i understand why everyone is mad about jorts taking threes but wasnt shawn williams our back up pf last year who was our three point threat? same **** except jorts rebounds and has post moves to go along with that 3 ball

I get the philosophy of having your C play on the perimeter. If he can knock down the 3, that means he has to be respected (guarded), which in turns draws the opponent's C out of the paint (where he's no good to his team), thus opening up the lane for our beastly PF.

However, when you fail to take advantage of the WIDE OPEN paint... Then what's the point?

I think what defines D'antoni, in my eyes, are 2 things I've witnessed.

1) He subs guys in and out, regardless of play. If a player is hot, he yanks him anyway (Walker). If a player is cold (he's free to shoot away).

2) Against MIA, Shumpert got pulled from the game after he fouled Wade. Good, clean foul. Shump prevented a dunk, got under Wade's skin. What's his reward? He goes to the bench. There have been times the rookie missed bad shot after bad shot, and missed badly, but NEVER did I see him get yanked.

really people ?

its gotten that bad now , that we have resorted to threads about jeremey lin needing to practice with the starters ?

you do realize its only been a month since he was picked up off of waivers; wasnt a part of training camp, and spent a week in the D-league right ?

I wouldnt wastr time having him practice with amare and chandler either when our priority is to prepare douglas and shumpert who need all the work they can get with our starters

am I the only one who isnt dumb enough to realize that in the NBA coaches play their best back court players with the starters, and the second team always stays together ?

did any one on this site actually play basketball in high school or college besides me ?

I dont recall ever having a coach in my 15 years of organized basketball playing; that would subplant me during practice as the starting pg with a bench player who barely saw the court in a real game.

Now its obvious I cant stand dantoni

but I am going to call foul when I see it, and we are all reaching on this Jeremy Lin nonsense

the dude is a bum

and what he does when we are down 20 points in garbage time is meaningless.

take a proverbial chill pill every body,

Jeremy F'ing LIN really ??

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    People chill out! Lin is trash, he didn't make it on the Warriors and Rpckets, both lottery teams.

You guys are so obsessed with D'Antoni...this forum has become a place for whining about D'Antoni and how he's slowly killing polar bears, because he's melting the poles.

Honestly, get a grip, we got your point.

Lin wouldn't play a single minute besides garbage time for Phil Jackson either and why should he practice with the first string? He's a 4th string PG, I'd rather have Shumpert or Bibby practicing with the first string, because they're playing most minutes.

You guys crying for Lin to play or even start is embarrasing, he's complete trash and a D-League player.
    im sorry did i miss something? have you watched these games? there is a gruesome 66 game season, i dont care if lin is garbage, which hes not bad or not worse than tony dumbass, and MDA plays 8 guys! is he trying to kill our starters? dude give it a rest D'andickhead is a moron, he has no answer and isnt willing to try something else. stop defending him and look at the way some other teams are playing in this league with far less talent. I mean Look at Utah, they dont have half the fire power we do and they would slaughter the knicks.

good day!

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    I cant agree at all. We have a coach that is prone to make the incorrect decision regarding a players talent & skill level. We've seen it plenty of times. I'm not saying Lin is Rubio, but because MDA makes the calls we honestly dont know whether the kid can play...
    Those minutes he'S played in garbage time are enough for me to form an oppinion and my oppinion is: He's garbage as an NBA player.

I actually saw him play in person last season at the Staples for the Warriors against the Lakers (California trip) and he showed great commitment and hustle, but I was shocked a guy with a (non existing) skill set like his could make the NBA.

He can't shoot, he can't drive, his handling is below par for a point guard, his orientation on the court is awkward at times and he's turnover prone.

Yes, he does look to pass and set up his teammates, but does that one quality really make him an 'asset' all of a sudden?

Honestly, we'd be better off with a proven NBA PG like Mike James or Anthony Carter at this point.

Both were available on minimum contracts.

It's not my job and/or mission to bash all of our players, but I call it how I see it and I've seen Lin play for Golden State and I've seen him play for us a couple of times this season on TV and imo he isn't good enough to play in this league, a roster filler at max.

Balkman on the other hand should really be seeing some playing time for christ's sake, especially with Melo out he should have been a 20-24 mpg guy.

Wait - you guys DO realize that there have been very few practices at all right? Lin cam on during the shortened season. Scott Brooks of the Thunder projected his team to have 12-15 practices ALL YEAR. It's not surprising at all that Lin never got first team burn in practice, he might have only been there for 2 or 3 of them.

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Wait - you guys DO realize that there have been very few practices at all right? Lin cam on during the shortened season. Scott Brooks of the Thunder projected his team to have 12-15 practices ALL YEAR. It's not surprising at all that Lin never got first team burn in practice, he might have only been there for 2 or 3 of them.
    True, but also a bit of a technicality.

Most teams are going over some of the philosophical and strategic nuances, that are usually reserved for practice, in shoot-arounds. Obviously they'll be less intense with virtually no contact, but it's still a half decent place for players to get accustomed to each other.

When you see Lin say "I barely practiced with STAT and Chandler" it's reasonable to assume that he's talking about whatever activity the team has where starting lineups and rotations are taken into account.

I wouldn't expect Lin to say "I barely got out there and ran threw some things with Amar'e and Chandler in shoot around" he'd just substitute all of that for "practice."

And if the Knicks are utilizing shoot arounds as quasi-practices, there's no way Lin is out there over TD or Shump.

Little bit of the product of a lockout, but at this point...you gotta give the only available pure point guard on the roster a little burn with the top guns to see if he can at least control the tempo of the game.

Those minutes he'S played in garbage time are enough for me to form an oppinion and my oppinion is: He's garbage as an NBA player.

I actually saw him play in person last season at the Staples for the Warriors against the Lakers (California trip) and he showed great commitment and hustle, but I was shocked a guy with a (non existing) skill set like his could make the NBA.

He can't shoot, he can't drive, his handling is below par for a point guard, his orientation on the court is awkward at times and he's turnover prone.

Yes, he does look to pass and set up his teammates, but does that one quality really make him an 'asset' all of a sudden?

Honestly, we'd be better off with a proven NBA PG like Mike James or Anthony Carter at this point.

Both were available on minimum contracts.

It's not my job and/or mission to bash all of our players, but I call it how I see it and I've seen Lin play for Golden State and I've seen him play for us a couple of times this season on TV and imo he isn't good enough to play in this league, a roster filler at max.

Balkman on the other hand should really be seeing some playing time for christ's sake, especially with Melo out he should have been a 20-24 mpg guy.
    LOL. You had me going for a minute. I was actually saying to myself OK maybe he's being fair in his assessment. Then you mentioned Balkman and 20 mins a game. LOL. Balkman is OK for def & a few boards, but right now we need someone else that can score. I'd rather see Novak getting those minutes.

I'll pass judgement on Lin when I see him some more...

Veteran

Your missing the point in your LIN bashing....

We all know there is a good chance this guy MIGHT suck..... there is no question.

what we do know is that the KNICKS have sucked.

We know we have NO PG.....Douglas and Iman are not PG's.
    Let them lay their positions of SG so they can excel.

AND YES 100%,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,things have gotten so bad that we are saying LIN should see minutes....if he sucks its over BUT if there is at all a glimmer then who knows...Maybe we have someone who can pass first before shooting....

For those who dont want LIN what do u think will happen...TD or IMAN will have a revelation and realize they are PG's ?

Uummm, I could have swore this is what we were looking for in a PG right now. Isn't this what you said Amare needed in order to get him going? You're confusing me right now dude.

We bash TD because he doesn't do what (as per your comment) Lin can do. However, we have a player that does it but then you say he's just not good. I don't care if Lin is out of the league after the season but for right now he does the things this team needs at that position.

Also, it doesn't matter what he didn't do on other teams. Just take Shawne Williams as an example.

Default Wow, my rebuttal

People chill out! Lin is trash, he didn't make it on the Warriors and Rpckets, both lottery teams.

You guys are so obsessed with D'Antoni...this forum has become a place for whining about D'Antoni and how he's slowly killing polar bears, because he's melting the poles.

Lin wouldn't play a single minute besides garbage time for Phil Jackson either and why should he practice with the first string? He's a 4th string PG, I'd rather have Shumpert or Bibby practicing with the first string, because they're playing most minutes.

You guys crying for Lin to play or even start is embarrasing, he's complete trash and a D-League player.
    Look bro, your missing the point.

Toney Douglas averages 23 minutes per game and averages just over 2 assists. Iman Shumpert averages 30 mpg with 3 assists, Mike Bibby averages 14 mpg and only 1.7 assists per game.

Jeremy Lin averages almost 2 assists for 6 mpg.....lets do the math

He plays about 18 minutes tonight and you can guarantee atleast 6 assists, just like the performance he did against Houston when he had 6 assists in only one half.

Guess who averages the most assists on this team? Melo with a little over 4 a game. That is dreadful.

I don't care if you think Jeremy Lin is garbage and a D league player, when he got his shot to play, he played better than Shumpert, Bibby and Douglas at the PG position because he takes his time and can distribute better than all of them. This is what we call a pure PG. He is not Baron Davis 2.0 he is just your basic PG.

We don't have any legit PG except Lin, sadly. So for now let's see what he can do.

You know it can't hurt to have SOME PG that can distribute to guys like Amare and Chandler when all we have been seeing is Douglas and Shumpert turnover everything and Bibby just jack up misses.

By the way, Lin is shooting 43%, better than all of our Point guards.

So next time you think someone is a D league player, that got a triple double in his one d league game, make sure you look at the state of the team first.

Peace.

Superstar

To me Lin only has 1 move.. he can do that hesitation dribble kinda smooth to get past his man on the perimeter, followed by a kick out, or pnr. I don't think he's that good but can at least get the team involved in the offense which is more than i can say for Toney who gets stuck on the perimeter a lot for some reason.

Look at Toney Douglas's stat line this year. Completely Dreadful
    23.7 mins, 9 points, 32.3 FG%....25.8 3PT%, 2.7 Assist, 2 TO's

Are these even NBA worthy Numbers?!??!? If he's hurt or lost confidence at least sit him for awhile to get his mind right. Lin should be getting 20 minutes a night.

He never got the chance in GS and Houston
    And One of those team has a better record than us atm and who blown us out the other night.

Unless you know Phil Jackson personally, than you can't said that with 100% certainty.

People keep saying he suck, but the number he produce don't lied and you don't know until the coach try.

Bibby? you serious lol

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    As a coach, isn't it your job to have every possible match up to see what works?

After Jeremy Lin's 9 points, 3 rebounds, and 6 assists in one half performance against Houston, he said in the post game show that he never played with Amare and Chandler in practice...ever.

How is it possible that Jeremy Lin, even being the 3rd or 4th string PG, never practiced with Amare and Chandler? EVER!?!?!

How is this possible?
    Let me preface this with I have been against Dantoni as a coach since before we signed him.

The answer to your question is Very Simple. How many practices do you think the Knicks have actually had since Lin has been signed?

How many Point guards are in front of Lin on the Roster?

Have our point guards been playing well with the starters? Although its important to try out different combination, mike was probably still working in new guys like Shumpert and Bibby with the limited time they have with practice.

You also have to remember that with this crazy schedule I am sure they are practicing very light for the most part.

Originally Posted by JujuXG
    He never got the chance in GS and Houston
    And One of those team has a better record than us atm and who blown us out the other night.

Unless you know Phil Jackson personally, than you can't said that with 100% certainty.

People keep saying he suck, but the number he produce don't lied and you don't know until the coach try.

Bibby? you serious lol
    this is difficult to read.

Originally Posted by clumsy
    To me Lin only has 1 move.. he can do that hesitation dribble kinda smooth to get past his man on the perimeter, followed by a kick out, or pnr. I don't think he's that good but can at least get the team involved in the offence
    Not sure if Lin should be getting 20 a night (10-15... the Knicks have a damn good bench that never gets used), but I do like those options; they are simple, but effective.