The Sports Guy on Amare/Melo

KBlack25

Starter
From his latest column:

"I'm not willing to write off the Carmelo/Amar'e pairing yet — even if it's been a ball-stopping, disjointed, shoulder-sagging mess so far — until we see how they look with a competent point guard running the show. By writing them off just from what we've seen, you are basically saying, "Point guards don't matter." That's wrong. They matter more than any other position in 2012. So let's at least see what kind of effect Baron Davis (and hopefully not Baron Davis' love handles and herniated disc) have on this Knicks team before we make a final assessment. I mean, did you really think "Carmelo Anthony, point forward" was going to work? Or that Iman Shumpert was the answer? Come on. Give this a few more weeks."

"Look, it's not rocket science: Any basketball game is going to be more entertaining with competent-or-better point guards running the show. (Cut to Knicks and Lakers fans nodding.) Without the right point guard, you won't get fast break points or easy baskets (cut to Knicks and Lakers fans nodding), you won't have good ball movement (cut to Knicks and Lakers fans nodding), it's harder to get your post guys the ball in the right spots (cut to Knicks and Lakers fans nodding), and you might have to rely on one perimeter player shooting 25 to 30 times a game while everyone else stands around (cut to Knicks and Lakers fans nodding vigorously while fighting off tears). More point guards = more fun."

knickerbocka176

Benchwarmer
im guessing thats not enough to get people to shut up about trading them away... im not a patient person but for some reason im being patient for this team like a true fan instead of wanting to trade everyone on the team thats just me though

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
what exactly will baron davis do.. he's old, injured, and is not a pass first pg in the first place he is a upgrade over what we have now though. He's a brilliant passer but not a pass first pg his transition passing vision is amazing but this team dont even run no more. i think alot of people think baron davis is going to come back and be the Golden state baron davis. if your a knicks fan you have to be wondering

1. coming from a injury can baron still penetrate like he would like to

2. how will he be defensively will he be able to stay with his opponent

3. will he be afraid of contact concerned about reinjuring his back

4. can he run the pick and roll with stat effectively

5. can he move the ball around like we would like him to? last time i watched him on the cavs he reminded me of melo coming up the court chucking 3 secs or less.

6.how many mins will he be able to play im afraid dantoni might abuse his mins and dude gets injured again and wears down.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
what exactly will baron davis do.. he's old, injured, and is not a pass first pg in the first place he is a upgrade over what we have now though. He's a brilliant passer but not a pass first pg his transition passing vision is amazing but this team dont even run no more. i think alot of people think baron davis is going to come back and be the Golden state baron davis. if your a knicks fan you have to be wondering

5. can he move the ball around like we would like him to? last time i watched him on the cavs he reminded me of melo coming up the court chucking 3 secs or less.

6.how many mins will he be able to play im afraid dantoni might abuse his mins and dude gets injured again and wears down.

According to a trusted source, this is not a problem... the source is your mom...:beer:

And sorry dude, it was a very solid post, I have no problem with your or your mom, that was just too good to pass up today. Feel free to hit me back if you need, I deserve it for this one

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player

I said it before the biggest impact Davis will have is getting everyone back to playing how their most comfortable.

Melo can only focus on scoring instead of trying to be Lebron or Pippen, Melo should not be initiating the offense he should be finishing.

Amare needs a competent PG doesn't matter who any competent PG you know how much times Shumpert and TD miss Amare on the roll or just don't hit him in his right spots.

Shump can come off the bench or play off the ball more if he starts both roles I think he'll be a hell of a lot more comfortable with than being a starting PG right now in his career.

Fields is already starting to play better but a competent PG will make his life easier since he's a player like Amare that needs the ball in motion.

Thats really how BD is gonna help, the Knicks don't need him to be 07 GS BD, just play like how he did in Cle or a little better with glimpses of his old self now and then.

smokes

Huge Member
I said it before the biggest impact Davis will have is getting everyone back to playing how their most comfortable.

Melo can only focus on scoring instead of trying to be Lebron or Pippen, Melo should not be initiating the offense he should be finishing.

Amare needs a competent PG doesn't matter who any competent PG you know how much times Shumpert and TD miss Amare on the roll or just don't hit him in his right spots.

Shump can come off the bench or play off the ball more if he starts both roles I think he'll be a hell of a lot more comfortable with than being a starting PG right now in his career.

Fields is already starting to play better but a competent PG will make his life easier since he's a player like Amare that needs the ball in motion.

Thats really how BD is gonna help, the Knicks don't need him to be 07 GS BD, just play like how he did in Cle or a little better with glimpses of his old self now and then.

Exactly no bullshit Chris Duhon could have this team playing better than it is right now. Our current roster consists of 10 off the ball players and no distributor. It's ridiculous.

Red

TYPE-A
Exactly no bullshit Chris Duhon could have this team playing better than it is right now. Our current roster consists of 10 off the ball players and no distributor. It's ridiculous.

How come Toney Douglas can't be a PG... better than Duhon?

He was a point guard in college right?

Forrest17

Rotation player
Yeah, we need guards.. DESPERATELY.. Though luckily for us, I don't think we need amazing guards, we just need them to be solid, keep it simple.. We don't need a cp3, but we need a distributer and a 2 guard that can drive an hit an open jumper. Right now we really don't have anyone that is good at either.

Right now, I feel like we are a boxer without any feet to stand on... It doesn't matter if we have an amazing right hook, and left hook, and a really thick skull that can take a ton of blows.. We can't fight if we don't support them right.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Yeah, we need guards.. DESPERATELY.. Though luckily for us, I don't think we need amazing guards, we just need them to be solid, keep it simple.. We don't need a cp3, but we need a distributer and a 2 guard that can drive an hit an open jumper. Right now we really don't have anyone that is good at either.

Right now, I feel like we are a boxer without any feet to stand on... It doesn't matter if we have an amazing right hook, and left hook, and a really thick skull that can take a ton of blows.. We can't fight if we don't support them right.

Ramon Sessions and JJ Redick would make me so hot and wet its not even funny, I pray to GOD we get our hands on these 2

portega1968

El Cacique
How come Toney Douglas can't be a PG... better than Duhon?

He was a point guard in college right?

Toney has a better chance at winning a Nobel Prize than he has at learning to do a half-ass decent pick and roll.

Opposing teams just double him up when he tries to do the PnR and he just goes into a shell like a turtle, always losing the opportunity to hit the roll with a precise pass.

It's painful to see him play PG... even more painful than watching Betty Davis get doggy-styled by Ron Jeremy (Cut to Knicks, Florida State and Auburn fans nodding while cleansing their eyes with battery acid)

As to the original purpose of this thread, I do want to see how a good PG can max the talents of Melo and Amare, but even Chauncey Billups had a hard time making that happen although you may argue that there was no training camp. I do want to see it, but I doubt Baron is the answer.

skisloper

Starter
Toney has a better chance at winning a Nobel Prize than he has at learning to do a half-ass decent pick and roll.

Opposing teams just double him up when he tries to do the PnR and he just goes into a shell like a turtle, always losing the opportunity to hit the roll with a precise pass.

It's painful to see him play PG... even more painful than watching Betty Davis get doggy-styled by Ron Jeremy (Cut to Knicks, Florida State and Auburn fans nodding while cleansing their eyes with battery acid)

As to the original purpose of this thread, I do want to see how a good PG can max the talents of Melo and Amare, but even Chauncey Billups had a hard time making that happen although you may argue that there was no training camp. I do want to see it, but I doubt Baron is the answer.

Lets assume Baron Davis will be very limited. The only PG on our roster is Jeremy Lin............Dantonio either has to play him or pick up someone else....This team cannot run without a PG.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
ray felton effect, anyone?

that being said, trading amare away isnt a ridiculous thought. he'd fit better with a stretch 5 (i know, youre tired of hearing it) but more importantly there have been way too many times where he watches someone dunk and sometimes even backs away from someone driving. unacceptable. he has shown some more effort defensively lately but there are still times i want to punch him through the tv.