When should a new member be able to start a new thread?

rady

Administrator
Staff member
This question goes to all the active members that are here since at least the previous season.

Currently a registered user can start a new thread only after he reaches 5 posts. Most of them, after they top that, come up with silly threads that are either unrealistic trade suggestions or duplicate topics. Should we increase the minimum number of posts required, should we set a time interval that needs to pass before he's able to start a new one, or the current setting is ok with everybody?

I'd also like to read some takes from the veterans..

Sage

Rotation player
I think 5 is really generous personally, for every one user who joins up to ask about good seating at MSG or visiting from out of town, there are tonnes that are as you say, bs trade threads.

There's heaps of new threads already per day, if you're a newb and can't find a relevent thread to post in, then you probably shouldn't be posting it.

10-15 might be more the range?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I think 5 is really generous personally, for every one user who joins up to ask about good seating at MSG or visiting from out of town, there are tonnes that are as you say, bs trade threads.

There's heaps of new threads already per day, if you're a newb and can't find a relevent thread to post in, then you probably shouldn't be posting it.

10-15 might be more the range?
10-15 is a good range. Don't have to make a lot of posts, and it's not that much of a small amount. We don't want to drive posters away by having them wait long.

I'm fine with five though, we don't have THAT many new posters making threads period.

jpz17

Starter
10 might be a good number. It is double digit posts and that should be more than a couple days

Sage

Rotation player
Rady is there an e-mail that goes out when a user signs up? Something that explains how many posts you need before you can create a thread, the use of sticky threads and the search function? Just wondering cos I've seen a few users do this:

Post#1 "Hi guys, I'm new to the forum blah blah"
Post#2 "How do I create a new topic?"
Post#3 "I'm posting so I can get to 5 posts"
Post#4 "Why can't I create a new thread yet?"
Post#5 "omg I still can't create a new thread."
Post#6 "omg I still can't create a new thread."
Post#7 "omg I still can't create a new thread."

So they finally get to create a new thread and it's this:

New Thread "What's good seats at msg lol"

A look at the stickies or a search would find an existing thread you could ask that question in.

I think the ability to create new threads is a bit overrated, I mean even people who have been here a while post threads that you would already find on the first page of the new posts search.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, there is one, not sure exactly how it goes but i think it mentions about the minimum 5 posts, the roll call thread and the stickies. I'll comeback with the full text once i figure it out where to find it.