Is Mike Woodson a good replacement?

c0leworld

Benchwarmer
The Daily reported Wednesday that Knicks owner James Dolan had gotten it in his head to fire D’Antoni if his team lost the first two of this three-games-in-three-nights stretch, and would pick tomorrow to do it to bury the news amid the hoopla of the Giants’ Super Bowl appearance.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/down_to_go_VTRLO3bR1qGriqN8H3dN7O#ixzz1lM0LUfi3

Is Mike Woodson a good replacement? Personally I think firing D'antoni mid-season is a retarded move, especially after how well the Knicks played last night. Seeing what Stat was able to do with a few good passes from Fields makes me think that a point guard really wood make this team better.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
no not woodson he is a defensive minded coach, defense is not the a issue with the knicks, well it is but thats the least of our worries, our offense would probably suck even more with woodson as our head coach. i dont want to see nobody that sat next to dantoni as our head coach give me phil jackson please.

let dolan coach so he can see how bad we suck maybe he'll a make move actually worth making this time.

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
To answer your question, I think Woodson is serviceable. A decent interim coach, but definitely not the long term answer. He showed in ATL that he can get a team on the right track, but they kind of stagnate once they're there. I believe he bested his previous season's record every year he was in ATL, but a putrid, predictable, offense and a clean 1st round sweep by the Magic was the end in Geeeooooowwwgia.

And to comment on your PG statement, I'll quote myself from another thread:

Baron Davis won't bring accountability from Melo all the way to Jordan, Davis won't be the reason why MDA better utilizes his timeouts (17-7 run on christmas before he stops the clock), Davis won't fix MDA's rotations for him.

Baron Davis might distribute the ball better than it's being distributed now.....there's a whole host of things to get thru before you get to his need of a PG.

1)Philosophical indifference
2)Inability or unwillingness to adjust to roster
3)Poor in-game manager
4)Seemingly horrible communicator based on his post-game interviews, and lack of response by players on court.
5)Definitely a poor motivator
6)Entire "system" is based on having a really, really, really, good, preferably an established veteran, PG. Can't adjust to a combo guard to make team run at high efficiency. So if he doesn't have his "pieces" he's not much of a coach.
7)Seemingly spends more time politicking with refs, than actually coaching.

I have 5 issues on my list before we get to the PG issue.

I think this is what Red is trying to get across to folks. This goes far beyond the box score, and how it was affected by our lack of a PG.

Edit:

Didn't realize I had 800 posts. Sheeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Coach Mike Woodson did a splendid job in Atlanta with little depth on his bench,
plus having below average PG throughout his tour.

Mike Woodson is looking at long-term oportunity, Woodson cant wait
to use all the bigmen-plays he used in Atlanta....
Horford -----Tyson
S.Williams -- Stat
Josh ------- Melo
....on the Knicks Big-3 frontcourt.
I see....Woodson taking all the pressure off of Toney Douglas, Shump,
and Tyson Chandler by playing tandems & trios of players in the rotation.
Which will make our rotation longer to relax Melo & Stat.

Tyson Chandler has prove he is a (27 minute) dynamic-defensive center
in the NBA.
Toney Douglas two seasons with Knicks he showed to be a decent
(24 minute) combo-guard with 1 turnover per-game.
Landry Fields has showed he is a decent (27 minute) Big-Guard with alot to offer.
Rookie Shump is a combo-guard showing decent potential-signs, and rookie
mistakes learning the NBA.
Rookie Jorts showed to be a decent big-body in a rotation.
Rookie Jordan services has been missing in our rotation.

The 8 Knicks-players mention above is the oportunity Mike Woodson been
looking for to add into a 10+ man rotation....the Knicks is only 2 or 3 pieces
away from being a contender next season.

BachaCho

Benchwarmer
My ****in balls can coach better then D antoni, ill plop my balls on the clipboard and the marks it leaves will come up with better plays then what D antoni thinks

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
This team isn't really an iso team, and Mike Woodson is pretty big on iso.

If he can come up with something else...I mean, I sure hope so. Our roster is definitely better than the Hawks' roster, so...

Paul1355

All Star
This team isn't really an iso team, and Mike Woodson is pretty big on iso.

If he can come up with something else...I mean, I sure hope so. Our roster is definitely better than the Hawks' roster, so...

Iso works when you have proper spacing, which Mike D fails to accomplish.

Too much Iso hurts your chances of winniing but Im still shocked that Melo iso play doesn't free up chances for Amare and CHandler to get the ball wide open while melo draws people towards him, vice versa.

A decent coach can make this work.

Mike D is the worst.

Eman

Benchwarmer
Promote Woodson already. He took his Hawks to the playoffs three years in a row. Sure sounds better than the course we're currently on.