Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
dude,

those 2 articles miss these points:

1) the final year's salary with the tax penalty is huge, BUT tradeable.
there will be teams that would be willing to take that contract.
2) there was a waive clause that would have saved the Knicks money even if Lin sucked after 2 years.

3) As far as Lin being dumb - you must understand the concept of GUARANTEED money. In pro sports you can get a career ending injury anytime. The guy calling him dumb is the real dumbass for not seeing that.

And most importantly - They let him walk to get NOTHING in return.
Absolutely NOTHING.
NOT EVEN a draft pick.
Now that is dumb to the maximum.

jimkcchief88

All Star
dude,

those 2 articles miss these points:

1) the final year's salary with the tax penalty is huge, BUT tradeable.
there will be teams that would be willing to take that contract.
2) there was a waive clause that would have saved the Knicks money even if Lin sucked after 2 years.

3) As far as Lin being dumb - you must understand the concept of GUARANTEED money. In pro sports you can get a career ending injury anytime. The guy calling him dumb is the real dumbass for not seeing that.

And most importantly - They let him walk to get NOTHING in return.
Absolutely NOTHING.
NOT EVEN a draft pick.
Now that is dumb to the maximum.

R.I.F.(reading is fundamental) re-read the articles and get back to me:)

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
Uhhh wrong, wrong and wrong. Actually, what Dolan did is EXACTLY how you negotiate. It starts with a figure in your mind. Dolan already knows what he is willing to pay for said asset. I don't want to hear about t-shirt sales and crap like that. Guys like Dolan aren't just "trust-fund" babies as has been thrown around this board. He is an expert at assessing value.

When you wrote "wrong, wrong and wrong", you were talking about your own post, right? Because Dolan is the furthest imaginable from an expert at assessing value. He's the guy who "assessed" and bought the Wiz before losing $250M and liquidating. Ditto for Cleaview Cinemas which went bust.

And do I need to remind you about Isiah Thomas? Yeah, that's SOME expert
ahahahahaAHAHahahahahaahahahahahaha

The whole Lin thing is 100% personal. He did have a number in mind, a number for what he wanted to pay for an asian basketball player with no swagger and that was a huge discount to his marketing value GLOBALLY. No, Dolan is not an expert, he's a fool born into wealth

iSaYughh

Starter
http://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllane/2012/07/18/jeremy-lin-may-be-the-dumbest-harvard-grad-ever/

I know this article has been posted already, but it deserves a repost as "Linsanity" lives. This is from the EDITOR of FORBES magazine. Maybe some of you have heard of it.

That writer is a tard and a douche.

The article's title is equal parts moronic and hyperbolic (it's obvious he is doing it as a sensationalist piece, and is using a mundane, played out, and trite ploy at making a play on Harvard's rep).

The dumb**** writer answered his own questions at the end.

Financial certainty. Oh, and the motherucking Knicks didn't match the mother****ing offer which the mother****er Dolan pushed Lin to get in the first place.

Only a mother****ing idiot tells a player to test the open, free market, and then acts like his prom date ****ed his best friend when the open market doesn't go according to his plan (hint: your plan was moronic to begin with if you hadn't already considered situations being likely, like what happened with HOU).

This is all very simple. Hint #2: real businessmen don't read Forbes to derive actual business sense ;)

Oh, and Lin prolly thinks Dolan is a ****, Melo is an antagonistic bitch, JR Smith is a racist thug, and the Knicks, fresh off another round of GM and Coach debacles, are mired in sub-contention for the next several years.....so why suckle up to Dolan's old dick and sell out for some extra bones?

Pretty obvious.

Reading is indeed fundamental. However, so is thinking.

*this is my last post on Lin from this perspective, as nothing else can really be said from this side of things

iSaYughh

Starter
When you wrote "wrong, wrong and wrong", you were talking about your own post, right? Because Dolan is the furthest imaginable from an expert at assessing value. He's the guy who "assessed" and bought the Wiz before losing $250M and liquidating. Ditto for Cleaview Cinemas which went bust.

And do I need to remind you about Isiah Thomas? Yeah, that's SOME expert
ahahahahaAHAHahahahahaahahahahahaha

The whole Lin thing is 100% personal. He did have a number in mind, a number for what he wanted to pay for an asian basketball player with no swagger and that was a huge discount to his marketing value GLOBALLY. No, Dolan is not an expert, he's a fool born into wealth

Mr. Gecko,

Don't mind Jim from Chicago.

He is still in love with Dolan for Dolan's awesome value-assessing moves of Isiah Thomas and orchestrating the move to bring in Eddie Curry.

Talent evaluators of the same feather, gotta keep flocking together.

WeReady

Benchwarmer
Pass issued because you are in the military. I appreciate your service. i sincerely do. I live near a stones throw from Great Lakes naval base and plenty of friends in the military.

But.......As a government employee, maybe you aren't the business expert. We all know the Government wastes billions of $$$$ a year. It's our taxpayer money, so who CARES???? But James Dolan runs a private enterprise that can actually LOSE money. No TAXPAYER BAILOUT. So maybe he got TIRED of losing money on BAD contracts. That's the part that KILLS me about you NEW YORK LINS. You ALLUDE to PAST BAD CONTRACTS to JUSTIFY a BAD CONTRACT FOR JEREMY. NEWSFLASH: ISIAH isn't team PRESIDENT anymore. So no more 20 million dollar a year contracts for petroleum jelly eating guards. SUGGESTION: Watch Shark Tank on Friday nights to see how businessmen like Dolan place value on contracts and negotiate accordingly. Mark Cuban is one of the members and so is the creator of the FUBU brand. Again, us regular civilians truly appreciate your military service. My father is an Army veteran of Vietnam(officer actually), which is how he paid for his schooling. So don't take anything said above PERSONALLY; it's all SARCASM you know:)

I never implied i was a business expert, neither are you we weren't there when this whole ordeal went down. We don't really know the truth behind this. All we can go by is the various reports presented to us by the media and form our own opinion /conclusions on the matter. Like i maintain, if Lin was presented with a decent contract earlier on, I'm sure he would of signed it with the knicks. If Dolan had the slightest inkling that he was not going to bring him back, than execute a S&T for Kevin Martin, draft picks, anything than let a valuable asset walk for nothing. The entire time the Knicks and Dolan maintain that Jeremy was coming back, thats why the precluding events don't add up. Somebody somewhere messed up along the line

Any owner that thinks they are going to make money off of a Basketball team is fooling themselves. Each owner knows you don't make money off an NBA team. Its just a play thing for these billionaires like a yacht or G-5 airplane, they just throw money at to maintain it. The only way they make money is off of ratings, corporate sponsorships, ticket prices, merchandise, etc. Why let an assets walk when you have the chance to bring in those international dollars? This would of made the Knicks a global brand not just a U.S. based brand I can not simply understand or agree with that type of logic.

Anyways Shark Tank looks like a interesting show, I don't watch very much T.V so what channel does it come on at and what time? And there is nothing to take personally its just a debate

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
I never implied i was a business expert, neither are you we weren't there when this whole ordeal went down. We don't really know the truth behind this. All we can go by is the various reports presented to us by the media and form our own opinion /conclusions on the matter. Like i maintain, if Lin was presented with a decent contract earlier on, I'm sure he would of signed it with the knicks. If Dolan had the slightest inkling that he was not going to bring him back, than execute a S&T for Kevin Martin, draft picks, anything than let a valuable asset walk for nothing. The entire time the Knicks and Dolan maintain that Jeremy was coming back, thats why the precluding events don't add up. Somebody somewhere messed up along the line

Any owner that thinks they are going to make money off of a Basketball team is fooling themselves. Each owner knows you don't make money off an NBA team. Its just a play thing for these billionaires like a yacht or G-5 airplane, they just throw money at to maintain it. The only way they make money is off of ratings, corporate sponsorships, ticket prices, merchandise, etc. Why let an assets walk when you have the chance to bring in those international dollars? This would of made the Knicks a global brand not just a U.S. based brand I can not simply understand or agree with that type of logic.

Anyways Shark Tank looks like a interesting show, I don't watch very much T.V so what channel does it come on at and what time? And there is nothing to take personally its just a debate

Shark Tank is really cool actually. It comes on here in the Central timezone at 7pm so I guess that would be 8pm on the East coast and its on NBC. Check it out and let me know what you think. Mark Cuban is pretty hilarious and Damon Dash(i think thats the FUBU guy) is always the first one out. But it gives you a little insight on how these big shots value ideas/companies and why. And the negotiations are funny as well:)

jimkcchief88

All Star
That writer is a tard and a douche.

The article's title is equal parts moronic and hyperbolic (it's obvious he is doing it as a sensationalist piece, and is using a mundane, played out, and trite ploy at making a play on Harvard's rep).

The dumb**** writer answered his own questions at the end.

Financial certainty. Oh, and the motherucking Knicks didn't match the mother****ing offer which the mother****er Dolan pushed Lin to get in the first place.

Only a mother****ing idiot tells a player to test the open, free market, and then acts like his prom date ****ed his best friend when the open market doesn't go according to his plan (hint: your plan was moronic to begin with if you hadn't already considered situations being likely, like what happened with HOU).

This is all very simple. Hint #2: real businessmen don't read Forbes to derive actual business sense ;)

Oh, and Lin prolly thinks Dolan is a ****, Melo is an antagonistic bitch, JR Smith is a racist thug, and the Knicks, fresh off another round of GM and Coach debacles, are mired in sub-contention for the next several years.....so why suckle up to Dolan's old dick and sell out for some extra bones?

Pretty obvious.

Reading is indeed fundamental. However, so is thinking.

*this is my last post on Lin from this perspective, as nothing else can really be said from this side of things

You know the Editor of Forbes has a response column as well. We don't you send him your BS and see if you get a response, tough guy:)

jimkcchief88

All Star
Mr. Gecko,

Don't mind Jim from Chicago.

He is still in love with Dolan for Dolan's awesome value-assessing moves of Isiah Thomas and orchestrating the move to bring in Eddie Curry.

Talent evaluators of the same feather, gotta keep flocking together.

Dear iSaYughh,

Learn to read please.... "Expert" does not mean "perfect". There is "risk" in any investment. The key is to minimize the risk. There is no 100% perfect investor or the global economy wouldn't be what it is as we speak(uhhhh hello). But Mr. Dolan is showing the ability to learn from past mis-steps. Isiah is no longer team president and Mr. Dolan kept his checkbook in his back pocket when it came to J. Lin. That's what I call progress. Anyway, for all you fools screaming that Dolan is an idiot, why don't you put YOUR OWN MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS????? That's what I thought. Its you easy to play "coulda" "woulda" "shoulda" and criticize when it ain't your money.:)

WeReady

Benchwarmer
Dear iSaYughh,

Learn to read please.... "Expert" does not mean "perfect". There is "risk" in any investment. The key is to minimize the risk. There is no 100% perfect investor or the global economy wouldn't be what it is as we speak(uhhhh hello). But Mr. Dolan is showing the ability to learn from past mis-steps. Isiah is no longer team president and Mr. Dolan kept his checkbook in his back pocket when it came to J. Lin. That's what I call progress. Anyway, for all you fools screaming that Dolan is an idiot, why don't you put YOUR OWN MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS????? That's what I thought. Its you easy to play "coulda" "woulda" "shoulda" and criticize when it ain't your money.:)

The reason why most knicks fans are mad because he made the right move at the wrong time compared to his wrong moves all the time mantra. I mean look up the recent moves he made with the carmelo trade, we gave up way to much in assests (13 player team trade including draft picks) for 2 starters? One of which is not here anymore. He was getting outplayed by the russian billionaire so he was giving up more than he had to, next look at the recent camby S&T 2 decent bench players and 2 second round picks? Thats a bit much for a 38 yr old center. If anything were to happen to these players its almost certain we will not get the same value back for as much as we gave up to get them. Rather have valuable assests now to use in later trades to improve the team instead of immovable contracts (here's looking at you STAT):cucu:

Also knicks fan spend their money on the high priced tickets at MSG, merchandise, cable bills just to watch the knicks, we are in the end paying to have this team so we have a right to be upset if a fan favorite is not brought back for whatever asinine reason. Im still mad about the camby and latrell trade till this day

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Lin - Only one offer to sign

Lin apparently now claims that he did not have a choice; that there was only one offer. For the reasons stated in an earlier post regarding the "statute of frauds," I do not buy it. There is very substantial evidence that Houston improved an offer already made and accepted. it is unlikely that the offer was not "memorialized" in some reasonably formal way and was simly awaiting legalistic details.

It was clear that the Knicks and apparently everyone else anticipated that the formalized offer would reflect the originally announced offer. I firmly believe that Lin could have held Houston to the first offer. In any event, it would have been a public relations nightmare for Houston to have refused a Lin request to complete the first offer.

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
Dear iSaYughh,

ohhhh sorry, I didn't realize you arrange for large value item sales and your minimum fee is 20%, you must know what you're talking about then!!

AHAHahahaahahahahahaa ROFL!!!! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Dolan has pretty much zero track record in business success for starting or acquiring a new business on his watch. Everything he's ever had was handed to him

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Lin apparently now claims that he did not have a choice; that there was only one offer. For the reasons stated in an earlier post regarding the "statute of frauds," I do not buy it. There is very substantial evidence that Houston improved an offer already made and accepted. it is unlikely that the offer was not "memorialized" in some reasonably formal way and was simly awaiting legalistic details.

It was clear that the Knicks and apparently everyone else anticipated that the formalized offer would reflect the originally announced offer. I firmly believe that Lin could have held Houston to the first offer. In any event, it would have been a public relations nightmare for Houston to have refused a Lin request to complete the first offer.

But why would you refuse 6 million dollars. The original only guaranteed him 19 million, the 2nd one 25 million.

iSaYughh

Starter
Dear iSaYughh,

No.

Isiah,

a) is still tethered to the NYK, and has Dolan's ear

b) Isiah is only gone because Dolan ****ed NYC so hard for so long, he finally relented. Oh, and Isiah got MSG/himself sued.

Literally, Stern was going to step in if Dolan didn't let go of Isiah and hire a guy like Walsh, bc the **** Dolan did the NYK franchise was getting so bad, it was having ramifications to the overall success of the league.

It doesn't matter.

You say Dolan saved money not signing Lin?

Wrong. Look at MSG stock. Even your homeboy at Forbes would have the sense that Dolan lost a lot more than Lin (or anybody else) in this matter ever will.

You wanna play a diff game and say Dolan saved our cap situation?

Wrong. We got blessed with a favorable Bird Right decision, and Lin's deal was pretty modest overall money to years.

Plus, we have a 3rd window, strategically, and even if he sucked and/or we sucked, his contract would have been an asset in the final year (when his salary was the biggest).

What say you, Jim?

And I would put my money where my mouth is against Dolan -- though idk what that even means?

If you mean make money off Dolan's idiocy regarding letting Lin go -- I already did.

I'd say it's unreal that you defend and like James Dolan like you do.

Yet, your history of defending people and wanting them tethered to the NYK primarily revolves around:

Eddie Curry

Isiah Thomas

So........

If knicks made an offer why was gruenwald hiding like s bitch.

iSaYughh

Starter
If knicks made an offer why was gruenwald hiding like s bitch.

This too.

Also, why would Lin (and his agent, who has undeniable authority in the situation....which Dolan allowed to happen, by pushing Lin's hand at testing the open market) trust the NYK?

They were behind the 8-ball and indolent in re-signing even *after* Dolan's master poker move to let him test FA.

Weren't even in the top3 teams to make the initial phone call to him after FA began. When it was assumed we would, obviously, be the first and make a call ASAP at midnight, as is customary in such a situation.

Melo's remarks?

Smith's?

Woodson making extremely weird, business-related declarations to the media which defied the very process of negotiation that Dolan established in wanting Lin to test the open market.

And like Dolan runs a well-oiled, respectable franchise to begin with? Cmon.

All this aside, Lin's final contract was very favorable to us.

It was favorable regarding cap due to our fortunate Bird Right windfall.

It was favorable strategically, bc the 3rd year in which it ballooned, coincides with the 3rd yr of our championship window and would have been a big asset to *TRADE* as an expiring if Lin was sucking and/or our team wasn't contending.

It was favorable to the overall value of MSG to sign Lin.

These are absolutes.

As was Dolan making a point to have Lin test FA and then respond.

You don't do that, and then act like a housewife who's husband forget their anniversary, when things get a little complicated or testy.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS.

The complications and unknowns of Lin's FA are *PRECISELY* because THIS is what DOLAN orchestrated:

when he implored Lin to test FA.

In typical Dolan fashion, something happened that he didn't like, and he panicked, and acted out of emotion and ego.

Like a spoiled legacy kid. Which he is. And which is reflected in the legacy and downfall of the NYK franchise under his reign of terror.

Game. Set. Match.