What to do with Lin?

• Let him walk

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters
u got me mixed-up .... I dont give a flying F how much Dolan have to put out in the new luxury-tax rule (Big-Market teams went along with this rule so EFF'em, pay dat $3 for $1)....only one owner admitted he didnt like the luxury tax new rule, Cuban. So Dolan better match Lin & Fields offersheet plus resign Novak. WHY?
Dolan fast move in the Melo-trade made us Knicks-fans have to put up with another Marbury-fiasco for a season and a half .. not one Knicks teammate was happy with the "ISO-Melo bullshiiat offense" .. Knicks became the number 1 team with the most injury-prone players.

u act clueless of rookie Shump performance before the ALL-Star game....
Do u recall rookie Fields performance before the ALL-Star game in 2010-11 season?
Shump tore his ACL straining to be something he is not .. a NBA starter.
Shump will need a season of rehabilitation with a well known therapist to have the athletic speed he showed in the 2nd half of his rookie season, the rip in Shump ACL two months after surgery has Shump in a wheelchair shooting jumpshots (serious tear)....dont expect a 90% Shump back on court doin his thang until the 2013 summer league games. The Knicks medical staff has always been wrong as far back as trading a healthy Bar-brawling Anthony Mason for injury-prone Larry Johnson, or 3 seasons of no-show Mcdyess, or did u forget Allan Houston final 3 years .. Allan Houston Rule.

Don't be such an ass, Shump's defense alone qualifies him as a NBA starter. He is a better all around player than Sefelosha, Tony Allen and Shane Battier so how is trying to contribute to a decimated team in the playoffs trying to be something he is not?

Kiyaman

Legend
Not sure what's so dumb about our GM, he's the same GM who drafted Iman Shumpert & had the foresight to sign Jeremy Lin & Steve Novak off waivers. Oh & he also swung that trade to bring Tyson Chandler in here, the defensive player of the year, remember? Come on stop complaining & start giving this man his due. He has done a terrific job as our GM since he took over. Not sure what there is to complain about Lin would have shopped himself around regardless if we offered him a contract earlier or not. This is how free agency works.

Dont get so high on GM Grunwald....
1) u dont select Iman Shumpert when Kenneth Faried is available .. big mistake.
2) Their was no foresight in signing cheap "fullers" to fill empty gap space on a roster .. a team must have 13 roster spots covered.
3) Signing Tyson Chandler was a no-brainer .. amnesty Billups made the Knicks a LOTTERY team without any direction.
4) Signing Bibby, Davis, and JR.Smith were wasted signings of offensive players with no heart to dictate an ISO-Melo offensive team.
5) D.League Jeremy Lin had more heart than Bibby/Davis/Smith put together....Lin showed that on Feb 3rd vs Boston.
6) We are mentioning RFA .. do u know what restricted mean? or Birds Right mean? are the Bulls & Clippers going to let Rose & Blake test their worth on the FA market? or the OKC trio? all three teams are over the cap.
7) The Knicks trio of RFA performance in the 2011-12 season increased their value by a wide margin (trade-assets) in the NBA. It shouldve been a no-brainer for GM Grunwald to annouce to the media on June 29th the Knicks priority or intention are to resign all three RFA, to keep the next team from giving them an offer-sheet.

8) Jason Kidd was in the middle of negotiation with the Mavs, before a quick change of plans had Kidd announce signing with the Knicks .. think Tyson Chandler buddy-buddy with Lin, before thinking GM Grunwald had more influence on Kidd over Cuban.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Knicks somehow sign LeBron, Wade, CP3 and D12, all for vet min - Kiyaman says "our GM is an idiot, these signings should not have happened, waste of money, we're a lottery team now". Zeke, is it you? :lol:

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks somehow sign LeBron, Wade, CP3 and D12, all for vet min - Kiyaman says "our GM is an idiot, these signings should not have happened, waste of money, we're a lottery team now". Zeke, is it you? :lol:

If u are trying to get on my goodside? that is the same side my shooting range is on......
the Knicks graded a blank on the 2012 draft-night having only 5 players under-contract .. leaning heavy on the FA market for nine players in offseason......

The best Knicks news was winning the arbitration for Lin & Novak Birds Rights .. the next best Knicks news was Jason Kidd hurdle over smooth talking Cuban to become a Knicks.
:2cents:
I just dont believe GM Grunwald had anything to do with any of the above best news .. while Grunwald was wasting valuable time/energy going after the 3rd best veteran PG Nash using Shump as a swap .. Tyson Chandler recruited the number #1 best veteran PG Kidd to tutor Jeremy Lin, and the non co-existin Melo/Stat
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
^ I was just joking Kiya, every post of yours I read on this board was full of complaining and frankly I found it funny to just point it out, didn't mean to offend you or anything. Chill bro. :smokin:

Last edited:
If u are trying to get on my goodside? that is the same side my shooting range is on......
the Knicks graded a blank on the 2012 draft-night having only 5 players under-contract .. leaning heavy on the FA market for nine players in offseason......

The best Knicks news was winning the arbitration for Lin & Novak Birds Rights .. the next best Knicks news was Jason Kidd hurdle over smooth talking Cuban to become a Knicks.
:2cents:
I just dont believe GM Grunwald had anything to do with any of the above best news .. while Grunwald was wasting valuable time/energy going after the 3rd best veteran PG Nash using Shump as a swap .. Tyson Chandler recruited the number #1 best veteran PG Kidd to tutor Jeremy Lin, and the non co-existin Melo/Stat
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Amen +1 couldn't have said it better myself

STAT1

Starter
Kiya, in my experience on other message boards I have come to realize that posters like yourself who are so vehemently against a particular GM, coach or player are a waste of time to debate with. We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I for one am not losing any sleep over losing Landry Fields. He was a nice player for us in his rookie season but regressed badly last season. I am confident that the Knicks will be able to replace his production without much trouble. What I am concerned about is Shump's rehabilitation like you mentioned (which is a legitimate concern). I have no concerns about this GM, to me he has proven he knows what he's doing.

Kiya, in my experience on other message boards I have come to realize that posters like yourself who are so vehemently against a particular GM, coach or player are a waste of time to debate with. We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I for one am not losing any sleep over losing Landry Fields. He was a nice player for us in his rookie season but regressed badly last season. I am confident that the Knicks will be able to replace his production without much trouble. What I am concerned about is Shump's rehabilitation like you mentioned (which is a legitimate concern). I have no concerns about this GM, to me he has proven he knows what he's doing.

STAT what he is trying to say is that Grunwald put all of our time and effort in getting Nash when we needed to be addressing our current players and other important positions first. We didn't land Kidd because he woo'd him here, we landed him because of Kidd and Chandlers relationship. Grunwalds a good GM but a young one that doesn't understand that you can't just sit and wait for one player in FA, you have to address what you can control in the mean time. Nyets didnt wait for Deron to make his decision before adjusting their roster, instead their FO pulled the Joe Johnson deal with no knowledge of him coming back or not. We wasted time starving over Nash and guys that could have been decent role players slip through our fingers. Grunwald has got to learn how to manage different scenarios at once and not wait for what he expects or hopes to happen before improving our roster.

STAT1

Starter
STAT what he is trying to say is that Grunwald put all of our time and effort in getting Nash when we needed to be addressing our current players and other important positions first. We didn't land Kidd because he woo'd him here, we landed him because of Kidd and Chandlers relationship. Grunwalds a good GM but a young one that doesn't understand that you can't just sit and wait for one player in FA, you have to address what you can control in the mean time. Nyets didnt wait for Deron to make his decision before adjusting their roster, instead their FO pulled the Joe Johnson deal with no knowledge of him coming back or not. We wasted time starving over Nash and guys that could have been decent role players slip through our fingers. Grunwald has got to learn how to manage different scenarios at once and not wait for what he expects or hopes to happen before improving our roster.

Once again, Jeremy Lin was advised by his agent to explore his value on the open market. The Knicks did not ignore him, they have maintained all along that they would match any offer... ANY offer. That is a sure sign of respect being shown by this franchise to Jeremy Lin. If they did not think very highly of him they would simply let him walk & bring Ray Felton or someone else in here to take his place. Jason Kidd was signed as a mentor for Jeremy Lin. The Knicks & Glen Grunwald obviously factor Lin very heavily into their plans for the longterm future.

Free agents get recruited by their friends all the time in the NBA. Tyson Chandler said himself he thought Jason Kidd was going to sign with Dallas & was as surprised as anyone that he chose the Knicks. Do any of us know any of the conversations that were happening between Grunwald & Kidd or his agent prior to him choosing us? Why is it automatically assumed that Grunwald had nothing to do with Kidd signing here & it was all Tyson Chandler's doing? I don't get this mentality. It was Grunwald that chose to forego being big players in this year's free agency pool by trading for Tyson Chandler last year, & he proved to be a very valuable addition to our franchise. It was Grunwald who picked up Lin & Novak on waivers, when there were plenty of other guys he could have signed instead. It was Grunwald who drafted Iman Shumpert & Josh Harrellson, both of whom were contributors last season & Shumpert looks to be the best defensive guard I've seen in a Knicks' uniform in over a decade. How does anyone say all those moves were "no brainers" when no one on this forum would have ever guessed that Lin, Novak & Shumpert would have blossomed into the players they became for us last season?

As for the Nets, we're not sure how their moves will work out but I for one think they screwed themselves royally by committing so much longterm cap dollars into players like Joe Johnson & Gerald Wallace. I don't think they will be able to get Dwight Howard anymore, & to me he's the only player they could have gotten that will truly impact their franchise to become championship contenders, as great of a player as Deron Williams is, he needs another stud to play with him to get that team to where they want to go. Joe Johnson & Gerald Wallace are not the players that will do it for them.

Once again, Jeremy Lin was advised by his agent to explore his value on the open market. The Knicks did not ignore him, they have maintained all along that they would match any offer... ANY offer. That is a sure sign of respect being shown by this franchise to Jeremy Lin. If they did not think very highly of him they would simply let him walk & bring Ray Felton or someone else in here to take his place. Jason Kidd was signed as a mentor for Jeremy Lin. The Knicks & Glen Grunwald obviously factor Lin very heavily into their plans for the longterm future.

Free agents get recruited by their friends all the time in the NBA. Tyson Chandler said himself he thought Jason Kidd was going to sign with Dallas & was as surprised as anyone that he chose the Knicks. Do any of us know any of the conversations that were happening between Grunwald & Kidd or his agent prior to him choosing us? Why is it automatically assumed that Grunwald had nothing to do with Kidd signing here & it was all Tyson Chandler's doing? I don't get this mentality. It was Grunwald that chose to forego being big players in this year's free agency pool by trading for Tyson Chandler last year, & he proved to be a very valuable addition to our franchise. It was Grunwald who picked up Lin & Novak on waivers, when there were plenty of other guys he could have signed instead. It was Grunwald who drafted Iman Shumpert & Josh Harrellson, both of whom were contributors last season & Shumpert looks to be the best defensive guard I've seen in a Knicks' uniform in over a decade. How does anyone say all those moves were "no brainers" when no one on this forum would have ever guessed that Lin, Novak & Shumpert would have blossomed into the players they became for us last season?

As for the Nets, we're not sure how their moves will work out but I for one think they screwed themselves royally by committing so much longterm cap dollars into players like Joe Johnson & Gerald Wallace. I don't think they will be able to get Dwight Howard anymore, & to me he's the only player they could have gotten that will truly impact their franchise to become championship contenders, as great of a player as Deron Williams is, he needs another stud to play with him to get that team to where they want to go. Joe Johnson & Gerald Wallace are not the players that will do it for them.

I respect it, your points are valid but still you say we are committed to Lin, but the way we slobbed over Nash looks like we were trying to find a replacement. You do't bring in Nash to mentor Lin and come off of the bench. Nash is an All-Star and Lin is unproven so to say we were heavily committed to Lin is a bit silly. From the jump we should've been pursuing Jason Kidd or other valuable back ups if we intended to resign Lin. But the whole Nash saga proves our franchise doesn't want to groom talent. We Lost Fields because of our pursuit of Nash and we almost lost Shumpert and maybe Lin because of our greediness for a 38 year old PG. Fields may not be great but i guarantee we could've gotten him back for way less than 3 years and $20 million. Jason Kidd was the smarter move for us to pursue because he's cheap and wouldn't in any way halt the development of our so called point guard of the future.

STAT1

Starter
Just because the Knicks were after Nash does not mean they were planning on letting Lin go if we were successful. I don't believe for a second that the Knicks were thinking of letting Lin go under any circumstances. It is my belief that even if we were to have gotten Nash, we would have still matched Houston's offer for Lin to be the backup for a year or 2 & then take over when Nash was in the last year of his deal. The marketability of that kid cannot be underestimated, Dolan wouldn't let that cashcow walk to another franchise.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Dont get so high on GM Grunwald....
1) u dont select Iman Shumpert when Kenneth Faried is available .. big mistake.
2) Their was no foresight in signing cheap "fullers" to fill empty gap space on a roster .. a team must have 13 roster spots covered.
3) Signing Tyson Chandler was a no-brainer .. amnesty Billups made the Knicks a LOTTERY team without any direction.
4) Signing Bibby, Davis, and JR.Smith were wasted signings of offensive players with no heart to dictate an ISO-Melo offensive team.
5) D.League Jeremy Lin had more heart than Bibby/Davis/Smith put together....Lin showed that on Feb 3rd vs Boston.
6) We are mentioning RFA .. do u know what restricted mean? or Birds Right mean? are the Bulls & Clippers going to let Rose & Blake test their worth on the FA market? or the OKC trio? all three teams are over the cap.
7) The Knicks trio of RFA performance in the 2011-12 season increased their value by a wide margin (trade-assets) in the NBA. It shouldve been a no-brainer for GM Grunwald to annouce to the media on June 29th the Knicks priority or intention are to resign all three RFA, to keep the next team from giving them an offer-sheet.

8) Jason Kidd was in the middle of negotiation with the Mavs, before a quick change of plans had Kidd announce signing with the Knicks .. think Tyson Chandler buddy-buddy with Lin, before thinking GM Grunwald had more influence on Kidd over Cuban.

1. You do when you already have a loaded starting front court and just got absolutely TORCHED by Rondo in the previous playoff series. Any gaps we had in our frontcourt were tiny in comparison to the holes in our back court.

4. Can you honestly quit with this ****, MELO ISNT GOING ANYWHERE. I honestly don't know why you bother being such a troll and keyboard warrior over such a moot point. It was "ISO MELO" for the first half of the season because he was asked to do things he hadn't done before and be the point forward in the DIRE lack of a point guard.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I hope Lin starts up his relentless attacking again

During Linsanity when he was constantly attacking the basket, it was amazing, Allen Iverson-like. He knocked down mid-range and three point shots efficiently, and I do hope he improves his shooting, but I don't want him to do a lot of it. Of course, when teams started figuring him out/played him harder he couldn't do it as much, but he has the skills and work ethic to maybe get back to that. I'm all for mixing it up, but the constant attacking would be huge and be an example of for the rest of the team not to settle. I couldn't ask anything more from him on offense when he was attacking and never settling during Linsanity.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I just hope he's working on his Handles, Dribbling and Ball security, No doubt he can get to he rim but the turnovers must decrease.

Control and ability to read the defense is KEY.

Forrest17

Rotation player
I hope he does too, because that really opened up the floor for everyone, made his assisting easy.. But I hope it takes it easy sometimes.. I mean he seriously got BEAT UP every single game, and it really worried me. I don't want him to get injured again

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I hope he does too, because that really opened up the floor for everyone, made his assisting easy.. But I hope it takes it easy sometimes.. I mean he seriously got BEAT UP every single game, and it really worried me. I don't want him to get injured again
That's true. Difference now is we have Kidd, so he wouldn't have to do it as many minutes. Plus Amar'e and Melo were out during that stretch.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I'm being a tool, I do like Lin... but chances are good he still passes it to Fields a few times this year...

Haha, nice one. That's pretty funny. Lin I believe will be more prepared to play the minutes he got out of nowhere. He was put into a role he wasn't completely ready for. He handled it a lot better than anyone could have predicted. He'll learn from his mistakes, be in better shape, and improve with experience. The question is will he play in Houston or New York?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Penetration was what was missing from the Knicks before Linsanity. That horrible stage of Toney Douglas purgatory.

The 2 that will benefit the most from penetration are STAT and Melo. STAT, obviously can reforge a bit of faith throughout the fan base if he can establish (figure out is probably more fitting) a good P&R/P&P with Lin and start hitting those jumpers again.

Chandler, naturally will benefit as well, Novak needs Lin like rapey people need vans.