Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

Rob Low

Rotation player
I agree 100 percent with all that. Wow, very well put. Lin was so humble when this all started and he seems to have gotten very big headed since.

fender0577

Rotation player
I agree 100 percent with all that. Wow, very well put. Lin was so humble when this all started and he seems to have gotten very big headed since.
I wouldn't say he's gotten big headed, he has to do what's right by himself and his fam.If i were him, i'd milk this for all it's worth also,who knows if he'll ever get a big contract again, like iv'e said before i think he's very overrated, but i won't knock him because he's trying to take advantage of it(being overrated).I think he's a decent PG with a lot of room to grow, but if we match these outrageous offers from the Rockets, we're bigger fools than i though.He played 2 good weeks of basketball, i'm not paying a guy $15 million, for a few weeks of good basketball, sorry let him walk.

finestrg

Rotation player
Just reading on another board that maybe the Knicks blew this by coming out and saying they would match any offer which eventually coaxed Houston into coming up with the 2nd offer. Earlier this week, Woodson even said that they would absolutely bring him back and that he would be his starting PG. Hard to get on Woody there but maybe it wasn't in his (or the Knicks') best interest to say that. I dunno...Maybe we should've been a little more tight-lipped about the whole thing..What do you guys think -- any truth to this or is this overblown media crap?

Paul1355

All Star

fame, attention, and recognition can change anyone and make them lose that humility....

However the large contract can be from his new agent telling him "look Jeremy you had a breakout season and this is payday for you. The Knicks will match anything so just go for the gold. You are worth every penny" and Lin was prob like "you know what I was an x factor and the Knicks need me, why not?"

Paul1355

All Star
No... "PRESSURE" is born from expectation (sometimes over-expectation).

Lin wasn't expected to do anything. How can you disagree? He was a 4th on the depth chart, about to get cut again, already cut twice PG; who got burn by virtue of this stupid a$$ coach not knowing what to do but give the kid some minutes at Melo's behest and at least "see what he's got" (before deciding on cutting him).

That player isn't expected to do anything. Yet when gven the chance he flourishes because he has skills but really because there's no pressure. Pressure (expectations) ramp up, posibly due to situation (playoffs) or by virtue of one's own doing (performing well aka Linsanity) and boom... we see what they're really made of.

Here are a few examples:

Laundry Folds- glue guy, showing up in the stats, put backs, etc... late round rookie, no expectations. Give him accolades. KEEP HIM AS THE STARTER ALL THE WAY TO THE PLAYOFFS ALTHOUGH HE WAS CLEARLY RATTLED... Boom couldn't find him. Waldo style.

SHane Battier- extra piece, coming off the bench, veteran, limited role, no pressure no big expectations... boom he kills you. Free and easy.

A-Rod, on roids, mad big, killing it. Paid records amounts of dough, bought in as the savior... flopped at first. Went through mad sh*t, therapy type sh*t. Got humbled... lower pressure (or his perception of) killed it. it's Simple.

Every player feels pressure, not everyone gets increased expectations like Lin; So its a bit easier for someone to adapt because the pressure is steady. Some step up and some shrink. Identifying the step up ones is hard, and takes looking at the right time and right situation.

Seeing Lin vs Kobe was no pressure on Lin, Pressure on Kobe and the Lakers, Lin shot and played with reckless abandon. Cool.

Pressure/Expectations build, how long can you be Linsanity? You are the savior, the Knicks wouldn't be here without you; you're doing things no one has done Look what you did against Kobe? What will you do vs the Heat? The world is watching... pressure builds.. chicks drop draws!

Fold. Not even a menial performance, Nothing. Deer in headlights. Stung.. punch drunk. Rattled. Inbetwixed. F*cked up.

That was a good look into Jeremy Lin. Because thats the rare time we get to see his fight and thats part of the step up trait. Like getting up after getting knocked down, it can't be replicated.

Either Lin was in the early stage of being hurt; was shook; or couldn't turn on the fight but hopefully has learned. Laundry was shook: and thats part of being in the media capitol.But maybe not in Toronto...

Cause there's no pressure (expectations).

You make a valid point about pressure being from expectation....

I guess I meant Lin was given the keys to a sinking ship, whether he was expected to save it from sinking or not, he was given the keys as a PG who is the one to lead and orchestrate an offense that was pure stagnation.

Lin had pressure trying to save the team from missing the playoffs, trying to save Mike D his job, then trying to make Melo and Amare look good because people (expected) him to bejust as good with Melo and Amare.

You understand?

Peter

Benchwarmer
fame, attention, and recognition can change anyone and make them lose that humility....

However the large contract can be from his new agent telling him "look Jeremy you had a breakout season and this is payday for you. The Knicks will match anything so just go for the gold. You are worth every penny" and Lin was prob like "you know what I was an x factor and the Knicks need me, why not?"

Lin did not lose his humility because he signed his only offer, which he has to do it to keep his job in NBA, everybody should blame knicks not offering anything to him. If you were lin, would you ask houston to lower down the offer to sign? Houston is just deperate to get lin, that is all. What would you expect lin to do?

Paul1355

All Star
Lin did not lose his humility because he signed his only offer, which he has to do it to keep his job in NBA, everybody should blame knicks not offering anything to him. If you were lin, would you ask houston to lower down the offer to sign? Houston is just deperate to get lin, that is all. What would you expect lin to do?

I would expect him to do exactly what he is doing

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Lin

I have not seen whatever "rules" apply to offer sheets, but it appears that "offers" can be made at any time prior to a free agent's signing elsewhere. It seems that July 11th was simply the earliest date when restricted free agents could sign either a new contract with their last team or an offer sheet with some other team. If this is true, then there was no official offer to match until Lin signed it. Houston changed the offer that was announced a week or so ago and apparently Lin has signed the new more generous offer. That third year amount, now almost $15M, will substantially increase the luxury tax the Knicks will be paying in the third year.

It is my understanding that without responding to an offer from another team, the most the Knicks could offer Lin was about $24.6M in a four year contract. It is also my understanding that for the first two years of any offered contract another team would have approximaately the same limits as the Knicks -- slightly over $5M a year. However, other teams, but not the Knicks, could back load the last two years of a four year contract with max amounts of about $15M a year. In theory, another team could have offered Lin approximately $40M over four years.

Houston's original offer was something like a four year contract with the last year a team option. Thus only three years would be guaranteed. The first two of those three years were at a little over $5M a year and the third a little less than $10M. We were relieved that it was not worse and it was abundantly clear that the Knicks would match.

Now Houston has eliminated the option year and increased the third year by about $5M. With their already existing contracts and the recent signings of Kidd and Camby to three year contracts the Knicks will be into luxury tax territory three years from now. It is not clear where they will be in four years because Amare's and Melo's contracts will have expired along with Camby's and Kidd's. I believe Tyson will still have another year.

If Houston really wanted Lin, why not give him a four year contract? Instead, Houston appears fully to expect the Knicks to match the offer, but to have stuck it to the Knicks. There is no longer an option year and substantial third year luxury tax problems. What Houston has done is similar to a string bet in poker. Its not nice.

I do not necessarily blame Lin but I think he has made a "marketing" mistake. His three year offer from Houston matches in amount what the Knicks could have paid him over four years. But $24.6M over four years is hardly chump change and sets him up for life. He may well have missed an opportunity to be something of an icon in New York by not signing the re-worked Houston offer and, instead, signing with the Knicks on the terms available to the Knicks. In the long run I doubt very much it would have hurt him financially.

I do not know enough about the "marketing" end of the business or how much of the "marketing" income the team garners and how much the player gets. I assume that New York is a much better marketing location than Houston, but perhaps not as much as one would expect given the global nature of baskeball. For example, does it make a difference in Beijing that Lin plays for Houston or for the Knicks? I cannot imagine that Lin would prefer to be in Houston rather than New York.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I do not necessarily blame Lin but I think he has made a "marketing" mistake. His three year offer from Houston matches in amount what the Knicks could have paid him over four years. But $24.6M over four years is hardly chump change and sets him up for life. He may well have missed an opportunity to be something of an icon in New York by not signing the re-worked Houston offer and, instead, signing with the Knicks on the terms available to the Knicks. In the long run I doubt very much it would have hurt him financially.

You can say the same thing about Melo, how he made a mistake by forcing the trade because he wanted that extra guaranteed year. I doubt it would have hurt him in the long run financially.

Rockets aren't sticking it to us, they really want Lin and they are doing right by their Chinese fans. They're doing right by Lin and one day, when it is time to move from New York, Lin knows he has a home in Houston.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Pretty bonehead move by Woodson to say that Knicks will match anything and that Lin will start. Not sure why he is getting involved in the first place.

Rockets really want Lin and they want to make the Knicks think twice about matching, and that's fair play. They're not out to get us.

TakMan

Rotation player
Crazy⑧s;241334 said:
The New York Knicks may have to patch things up with Jeremy Lin.

According to a report by the New York Daily News, Lin is upset that the Knicks didn't offer him a new contract before the Houston Rockets came calling with a lucraticve offer sheet...

Really? This time last year it was looking like his non-existent NBA career was coming to an end. It was the Knicks that allowed him the opportunity to unfold his skills. He's a good player and probably has the potential to become a top 5 PG, but if this story holds any truth in it then it's clear he values himself more than he should at this point. Someone needs to tell him that players have shed tonnes of sweat to gain the recognition and respect of basketball fans. 25 decent/good starts is no where near enough for someone to kick up a fuss over something this trivial. If he's that upset over the Knicks displaying some common sense then he should just head off to houston. Otherwise he should keep quiet and work his socks off so that he may contribute to the team's (and his own) success next year. He hasn't won us all over....yet.

elcol

Rotation player
Really? This time last year it was looking like his non-existent NBA career was coming to an end. It was the Knicks that allowed him the opportunity to unfold his skills. He's a good player and probably has the potential to become a top 5 PG, but if this story holds any truth in it then it's clear he values himself more than he should at this point. Someone needs to tell him that players have shed tonnes of sweat to gain the recognition and respect of basketball fans. 25 decent/good starts is no where near enough for someone to kick up a fuss over something this trivial. If he's that upset over the Knicks displaying some common sense then he should just head off to houston. Otherwise he should keep quiet and work his socks off so that he may contribute to the team's (and his own) success next year. He hasn't won us all over....yet.

read the whole thread or at least the first and second pages..

TakMan

Rotation player
read the whole thread or at least the first and second pages..

I have mate, but there hasn't been an official declaration to refute this story. This could well be (probably is) sensationalist, unfounded gossip. This is why my view on the matter is only as valid to me as the article itself. I did state -prior to developing my view- that it woud be based on whether "this story holds any truth in it ."

CoolClyde

I have not seen whatever "rules" apply to offer sheets, but it appears that "offers" can be made at any time prior to a free agent's signing elsewhere. It seems that July 11th was simply the earliest date when restricted free agents could sign either a new contract with their last team or an offer sheet with some other team. If this is true, then there was no official offer to match until Lin signed it. Houston changed the offer that was announced a week or so ago and apparently Lin has signed the new more generous offer. That third year amount, now almost $15M, will substantially increase the luxury tax the Knicks will be paying in the third year.

It is my understanding that without responding to an offer from another team, the most the Knicks could offer Lin was about $24.6M in a four year contract. It is also my understanding that for the first two years of any offered contract another team would have approximaately the same limits as the Knicks -- slightly over $5M a year. However, other teams, but not the Knicks, could back load the last two years of a four year contract with max amounts of about $15M a year. In theory, another team could have offered Lin approximately $40M over four years.

Houston's original offer was something like a four year contract with the last year a team option. Thus only three years would be guaranteed. The first two of those three years were at a little over $5M a year and the third a little less than $10M. We were relieved that it was not worse and it was abundantly clear that the Knicks would match.

Now Houston has eliminated the option year and increased the third year by about $5M. With their already existing contracts and the recent signings of Kidd and Camby to three year contracts the Knicks will be into luxury tax territory three years from now. It is not clear where they will be in four years because Amare's and Melo's contracts will have expired along with Camby's and Kidd's. I believe Tyson will still have another year.

If Houston really wanted Lin, why not give him a four year contract? Instead, Houston appears fully to expect the Knicks to match the offer, but to have stuck it to the Knicks. There is no longer an option year and substantial third year luxury tax problems. What Houston has done is similar to a string bet in poker. Its not nice.

I do not know enough about the "marketing" end of the business or how much of the "marketing" income the team garners and how much the player gets. I assume that New York is a much better marketing location than Houston, but perhaps not as much as one would expect given the global nature of baskeball. For example, does it make a difference in Beijing that Lin plays for Houston or for the Knicks? I cannot imagine that Lin would prefer to be in Houston rather than New York.
:agreed:
way to put it in perspective with facts and figures OT, another excellent post.

i agree Ling may have hurt his NYC persona, because if he does NOT deliver next year, you are going to hear some serious booing at the zen garden.

Benchwarmer
I think the salary cap should be ONE million per year, but
what do I know. Do I think Jeremy Lin is being greedy?
Perhaps, but with what they're paying these players,
I think anyone in his position would try to get as much
as he can.

It's also my opinion, that high salary or not, the fans
are going to turn on him if he doesn't deliver. And, I
think he knows that as well. SO, why not get as much
as he can? Everyone else would do the same.

Benchwarmer
P.S. Cool Clyde, I think I'm going to use an image of
a c*c* ring for my signature! :mrgreen: :lol:

elcol

Rotation player
I have mate, but there hasn't been an official declaration to refute this story. This could well be (probably is) sensationalist, unfounded gossip. This is why my view on the matter is only as valid to me as the article itself. I did state -prior to developing my view- that it woud be based on whether "this story holds any truth in it ."

Fair enough, but:
It is extremely clear that the daily news has it in for everything MSG related.
I want you to take a look at Frank Isola's twitter, beat writer for the NY daily news. Read like 10-15 tweets, won't take long.

https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/

I get where he is coming from, but really? Sounds like an educated hater..a smarter orange blob.. The guy is just oozing negativity, especially with Lin.

Now I want you to look at Marc Bermans twitter.

http://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/

NY Post beat writer for the knicks, obviously doesn't hold any grudges against the organization.

Then factor in that Lin is a pretty humble guy, he had dinner with Grun and co. who probably talked over the whole situation anyway. Then of course he denies the whole thing on twitter.

Thats just how i see.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
I don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape by this Lin saga. Can we drop the self-righteous speech.

Every one of us would've taken the most lucrative contract that we can get. What's wrong with being greedy? This BS about loyalty and appreciation to NYK makes no sense.

Whether or not Lin is worth that much money is an entirely different matter. IMO, he has done nothing wrong by getting the most out of his surprising showing last season.

Benchwarmer
I don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape by this Lin saga. Can we drop the self-righteous speech.

Every one of us would've taken the most lucrative contract that we can get. What's wrong with being greedy? This BS about loyalty and appreciation to NYK makes no sense.

Whether or not Lin is worth that much money is an entirely different matter. IMO, he has done nothing wrong by getting the most out of his surprising showing last season.

Yeah, I'd like to know who wouldn't try for the highest
salary they could get! :smokin: