Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let him walk

16 28.57%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

27 48.21%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

13 23.21%
Page 83 of 140 FirstFirst ... 33536377787980818283848586878889103113133 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2090

Thread: Jeremy Lin

Veteran

I am coming around to them keeping JLin. Smartest thing I've heard from anybody associated with the Knicks was from Clyde "Worry about later, later".

Now all the Knicks need to do is ask Isiah what the Knicks should and do the opposite. Wait, Zeke said pass on Lin, we have to re-sign the young man today.

His marketability alone will do it after his first two seasons.

IMO its a win-win to keep him, he can either explode and become an amazing PG, or after 1-2 seasons if it doesnt work out we can always dump him.

Woody likes to switch it up when it comes to positions.. so i wouldnt be surprised seeing the PGs in the SG position as long as Shump is out.

I believe management will re-sign Lin too.

Or can Jimmy Dolan be that stupid???

Why in the world would you let a cash-cow walk away for free. Think about it.

Even if JLin sucks starting now till the end of his career. Yes the offer sheet sounds "ridiculous." I, the owner, will GLADLY pay him $25 million for the next three or so years, plus all the luxury taxes the NBA can handle. Hell, JLin can sit on the bench and not play, for all I care.

Why? Because I know I'll make over $100 million side money (easily) just by having Lin in a Knicks uniform. All I have to do is pull up the financial study on the Yao impact in Houston and the money Yao made for the Rockets owner in the U.S. and in Asia.

Importantly, JLin is an American and normal size (6'2" or 6'3"), so he will have a GREATER impact than Yao. There's nothing difficult about this. All I need to know is how much money did Yao pull in on the side for the Houston Rocket owner Leslie Alexander.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"If Lin was able to get MSG a $1 per month increase per TWC subscriber in a five year deal, he likely made MSG nearly $160 million, according to cable industry sources."

Let see..., I throw in $25 million plus luxury taxes, and I can get back $160 million in 5 years?

What a tough decision.

Last edited by onex0is0; Jul 17, 2012 at 05:57.

Default How Knicks Can Avoid Poison-Pill 3rd Year Of Lin Contract

Another article in favor of signing Lin, written by John "Chocolate" Schmeelk

Schmeelk: How Knicks Can Avoid Poison-Pill 3rd Year Of Lin Contract
    July 17, 2012 6:26 AM

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

As the clock ticks down to the Knicksí Jeremy Lin deadline, they need to consider an option that seriously reduces the risk of paying such a mammoth luxury tax bill in 2014-2015.

The new CBA included a provision to make it much easier for teams to release players with bad contracts. Itís called the stretch provision. Here it is right out of Larry Coonís invaluable CBA FAQ that can be found here: cbafaq.com.

Otherwise (if the contract or extension was signed under the current CBA), the remaining guaranteed salary is paid over twice the number of remaining years, plus one, per the Stretch provision:

If the playerís salary payments are spread-out using the Stretch provision, the team may elect to stretch the salary cap charge to match2. For example, if two seasons remain on the playerís contract when he is waived, and the payment is spread-out over five years per the Stretch provision, then the team may elect to spread-out the salary cap hit over those same five years.
    In other words, the Knicks will have the option after the 2013-2014 season to waive Jeremy Lin, take his third-year $15 million salary and spread it out with its cap hit over the following three seasons. In each of those three seasons, the Knicks would have $5 million of dead money on the cap. Doing that would all but eliminate the insane luxury tax payment the Knicks would have to endure in 2014-2015, which is supposedly stopping them from re-signing Lin.

Obviously, this isnít an ideal plan or scenario. The Knicks wouldnít be resigning Lin with the idea of waiving him after 2013. Instead, this is simply a way out if Lin turns out to be nothing more than a backup quality point guard. Having dead money on the cap for three seasons is obviously a bad thing, but itís nothing the franchise couldnít survive.

If Lin, on the other hand, turns out to be a star, the same stretch provision could be used on any number of other players on the roster (Novak, Kidd, Felton, Camby) to reduce the impact of the luxury tax penalty. Odds are that one or more of those players will either be rendered ineffective by age or performance by that time, so waiving them wonít cost the franchise much on the court.

Or, of course, Dolan could just write the big check.

We just donít know where the team will be in three years. What we know now is that the Knicks would lose a young point guard with a ton of potential for no compensation if they choose not to match Houstonís offer sheet for Jeremy Lin. If the Knicks do match, they have options to avoid the financial penalties the luxury tax might impose on the franchise. It is simply another reason for the Knicks to match the Rocketsí offer, as insane as it might be. The Knicks now have an out if Lin turns out to be a bust. The risk of matching is much smaller than anyone is willing to admit.

The Knicks must be aware of this scenario. If they arenít, shame on Glen Grunwald and the rest of the front office. This potential escape makes the decision to retain Lin an even easier one. Thereís no basketball reason to let him walk. If they donít re-sign Lin, they simply lose him and canít replace him with anyone. That money canít be used elsewhere. There is absolutely no benefit. Matching wonít affect the teamís cap, and with the stretch provision option, the Knicks can avoid the luxury tax hit to a large extent as well.

With this in mind, if the Knicks donít resign Lin, it can only be seen as personal. James Dolan and the rest of the front office must be so angry that he went back to Houston and renegotiated the three-year deal that they just donít want him as part of the team anymore. That would be immature, childish and foolish.

Then again, these are James Dolanís Knicks.

word

Takman, this decision is part of the big picture, MSG stock has EVERYTHING to do with re-signing Spike Lin. James Dolan is a business man, albeit a sh*tty one, it is ultimately his to decide whether the re-sign will impact the worth of MSG in dollars and sense. you SHOULD give a flying f*ck about the big picture in order to understand the thinking of the FO, which is what these forums are all about. Most folks on here are wannabe GM's, myself included, and like to guess who the Knicks will pick, sign, trade, etc., and what the future of the team will be, and what it ultimately costs the franchise. lighten up.

Originally Posted by CoolClyde

With this in mind, if the Knicks donít resign Lin, it can only be seen as personal. James Dolan and the rest of the front office must be so angry that he went back to Houston and renegotiated the three-year deal that they just donít want him as part of the team anymore. That would be immature, childish and foolish.

Then again, these are James Dolanís Knicks.

word
    Haha......Baby dick Dolan. It looks like this is all it's gonna come down to. I had read about and forgotten that there is the stretch provision. Interesting! I think there's a far greater likelihood that it'll be used on SHAT.

Good job getting the better and more interesting articles on the site, Clyde!

You deserve a coven of honeyed-teen-nun-lesbianal. Dolan would match that!

There is an official Lin thread, BTW, Paulio.

I hope we resign him, my dream and hope was to build around a starting backcourt of Lin and Shumpert in 2015+

Right now we're the oldest team and by no means good enough to beat Miami.

We gotta think about the future, when the Melo, STAT, Wade, Lebron generation start to decline.

A Lin/Shumpert backcourt looks intriguing to me.

But what do I say, it's the Knicks and Dolan is the owner so they'll piss their future away like always for immediate success which won't come.

Or maybe they show common sense this time, but our recent moves don't suggest that. Kidd? Felton? Camby? Kurt Thomas? Really?

I used to love Thomas and especially Camby, but this ain't 99.
    Felton is a fat mofo who makes Melo look diced to the bone.
    Kidd could be Nash's grandpa and apparently still likes to visit police stations.....

Like I said a long time ago, worst managed team in sports.

Question:

Would you guys trade our roster for the 2011/12 Bobcats roster if that means Dolan would be gone forever and replaced by somebody good (e. g. Spurs owner)?

I would. A team can be rebuild within 5-6 years at worst.

Dolan will keep you down for 20+ years....

Knicks lose Lin, Knicks lose Dolan... a fair tradeoff?
    I'd go to church if that happened.

Lin for Dolan? YES PLEASE

Default mergerama

in my first act as modulating moderator, i have merged the LIN WILL BE RESIGNED thread with ALL THINGS LIN. please, KO posters, think about posting each and every thought to respective folders; believe you me, most KO posters read all new posts, so your pertinent thoughts will NOT go unnoticed, and discussions shall ensue.

bless you all.

in my first act as modulating moderator, i have merged the LIN WILL BE RESIGNED thread with ALL THINGS LIN. please, KO posters, think about posting each and every thought to respective folders; believe you me, most KO posters read all new posts, so your pertinent thoughts will NOT go unnoticed, and discussions shall ensue.

bless you all.
    I f'd my first merge in the A.

Veteran

Just read another article about keeping Lin, MSG, stores like Modells and other businesses that had Linsanity related merchandise would lose big if they let Lin go, $80 jerseys would be worth $20, $20 tshirt 5 bucks, no more Linsanity branded anything in NY.

Knicks want to let Lin go, no doubt otherwise they would not have signed Felton and it wouldn't be the first time a player wasn't matched because the of the luxury tax. And yes the new CBA makes that luxury tax even more punitive, where it seemingly makes not matching an easy decision for a player like Fields but Lin is special. When was the last time you heard of people signing petitions to keep a player and getting 10k signatures in a couple of days. Or making your stock price rise and fall by hundreds of millions of dollars with Linsanity. This kid is unique in the annals of Knicks history, how can you risk letting Lin go and bringing all that to Houston and not NY.