• Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
So true!

Yeah, Lin is not the best defender, but he is not the worst defender either.

He lacks experience, height, weight and long arms to be a great defender.
While true, his anticipation, quick reactions, and foot speed make up for that. I mean, look at the final play of the first half of the Spurs game..... Tony Parker driving to the basket, Lin by himself forced Parker to dish off to Manu Ginobili, and it took a great shot by Ginobili to score. In spite of the other Knicks being total spectators on that play.

I think only Shumpert and Jeffries are better defenders than Lin. And it makes me cringe that D'Antoni hasn't noticed this, when he platooned Lin to the bench on defense at the end of regulation in Boston.

red32

Benchwarmer
Yes, this is why after MIA & BOS, and after viewing BD, it's clear BD is a better choice for starter, and finisher. Lin off the bench.

I'm not sure BD will be a better starter. He's not having any less TO's than Lin, but with him you lose the scoring potential from Lin (going to the basket). And since other team probably wouldn't need to double-team BD, this means that we are pretty much back to the 1-on-1 offense again.

Lin does needs to slow down a bit. The 2 old guys just can't keep up...

Daize

Rookie
Now Lin has to play NBA Politician and make sure everybody gets their shots.

I think that's an incredible take. Lin's play seems to have gone from instinctual reactions to a complete neurotic processing of the game that just creates massive amounts of indecision and second guessing for your mentioned reasons.

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
It doesn't help when your STAR teammates can't hit a damn shot. Or when your STAR PF does a pick n' roll with and lets the entire WORLD know he's open by immediately throwing both his hands up into the air. OHHH OHHHHH LOOK AT ME EVERYONE IM OPEN!! You gotta be incognegroe with that shit as you roll to the basket. If he could jump and catch an ally, it would also help so teams would play back on him on the roll. Instead they crowd him so he can't get a low pass.

Melo cant make a jumper to save his life. 38% shooting for the season.

J.R. Smith cant shoot since first game here.

Fields can't play with Melo on the floor cause Melo is stagnant and doesnt keep the defenders moving.

Lin gets trapped and double teamed constantly cause the only person he can pass to and know is gonna sink a shot is Novak who is now being smothered by the other team.

There is a reason why every time we won in the past 15 games, Lin had 8+ assists and Novak had 15+ points. It's not rocket science people. Our star PF is no longer the threat he was inside and our star SF has lost his shooting touch because he cant jack 20+ shots a game anymore. Simply put Melo and STAT need to perform with Lin or sit the **** down and let the guys who have proven to perform with him, PLAY!

Den318

Benchwarmer
It doesn't help when your STAR teammates can't hit a damn shot. Or when your STAR PF does a pick n' roll with and lets the entire WORLD know he's open by immediately throwing both his hands up into the air. OHHH OHHHHH LOOK AT ME EVERYONE IM OPEN!! You gotta be incognegroe with that shit as you roll to the basket. If he could jump and catch an ally, it would also help so teams would play back on him on the roll. Instead they crowd him so he can't get a low pass.

Melo cant make a jumper to save his life. 38% shooting for the season.

J.R. Smith cant shoot since first game here.

Fields can't play with Melo on the floor cause Melo is stagnant and doesnt keep the defenders moving.

Lin gets trapped and double teamed constantly cause the only person he can pass to and know is gonna sink a shot is Novak who is now being smothered by the other team.

There is a reason why every time we won in the past 15 games, Lin had 8+ assists and Novak had 15+ points. It's not rocket science people. Our star PF is no longer the threat he was inside and our star SF has lost his shooting touch because he cant jack 20+ shots a game anymore. Simply put Melo and STAT need to perform with Lin or sit the **** down and let the guys who have proven to perform with him, PLAY!

Totally agreed with you. If any team want those two bums, we should just give them away.

elcol

Rotation player
i DONT anymore think lin is the problem, he has lots of space to improve but he has been doing a pretty good job, but amare and melo simply do NOT hit shots, whether they are wide open or not..nor does the rest of the team..every game we put up such a low pct...

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
All these posts still come back to poor coaching.

D'antoni is either afraid to make Stat & Melo play both ends of the floor or he is just at a loss on how to coach.

Really, would JVG watch Lin get pressed / double teamed like no other PG in the league and not give him help?

When Kidd forearmed Lin to the floor in Dallas why did no big man step up and send a message to Kidd?

Lin is really a rookie, plays his ass off, tries to cover defensive mistakes by Stat & Melo, etc., and never complains. Lin just about has a Wanted Poster Dead or Alive on his head and gets no help from his coach or star players.

Would Ewing or Oak allowed their PG to get hammered constantly? No!

Our coach is in over his head and he knows it, so he just takes his paycheck until he gets fired.

Den318

Benchwarmer
i DONT anymore think lin is the problem, he has lots of space to improve but he has been doing a pretty good job, but amare and melo simply do NOT hit shots, whether they are wide open or not..nor does the rest of the team..every game we put up such a low pct...

Not only that, they don't play D as well. If they are not so call superstar of our team, they would be sitting right next to TD.

Den318

Benchwarmer
All these posts still come back to poor coaching.

D'antoni is either afraid to make Stat & Melo play both ends of the floor or he is just at a loss on how to coach.

Really, would JVG watch Lin get pressed / double teamed like no other PG in the league and not give him help?

When Kidd forearmed Lin to the floor in Dallas why did no big man step up and send a message to Kidd?

Lin is really a rookie, plays his ass off, tries to cover defensive mistakes by Stat & Melo, etc., and never complains. Lin just about has a Wanted Poster Dead or Alive on his head and gets no help from his coach or star players.

Would Ewing or Oak allowed their PG to get hammered constantly? No!

Our coach is in over his head and he knows it, so he just takes his paycheck until he gets fired.

I remembered the first Dallas game when Jason Terry tripped Lin and JJ went over to talk to JT. When Lin got clobbered now, the 2 bums couldn't care less. I don't like MDA, but when he HAS to play the 2 bums major minutes because they are paid $100 mil. I pray another team is stupid enough to want Melo before the deadline.

LA KNICKS GUY

Benchwarmer
I'm not sure BD will be a better starter. He's not having any less TO's than Lin, but with him you lose the scoring potential from Lin (going to the basket). And since other team probably wouldn't need to double-team BD, this means that we are pretty much back to the 1-on-1 offense again.

Lin does needs to slow down a bit. The 2 old guys just can't keep up...
I noticed how he tends to be reckless on fast brakes. He'll usually overthrow the pass to his player down the court which results in another one of his turnovers.

TruOrngnBlu

Benchwarmer
Bench Lin!!!

It's obvious the players are who they are. Things we know for sure:

Amare plays no D
Amare is not being benched
Melo is having a horrific shooting year
Melo is not being benched
Jlin is a hell of a player who has his best effect on the games out come when he's lose and scoring.

Bad enough trying to get Amare and Melo touches, we need lin to score as well to be effective.

Lin and Amare in time could be great

Lin and Melo polarize each other due to constant need for the ball.

The 20mil dollar men need room to create which Baron can provide through crafty escape dribbles and creating angles.

Baron is more a distributor first. He Can create more action that keeps defenses on their heels , a situation that will better allow the starting front court to attack.

With Lin on the bench he can go back to being the first option on the floor and in that feel more confident and relaxed and get the hustle guys on the bench running.

I would do

BDiddy
Shump/J.R
Melo
Amare
Chandler

Jlin
J>R/shump
Novak/Landry
Jeffries
Jorts

Bdiddy in the starting line up works because of his creativeness and veteran savvy to create space because as you see there is a problem spreading the floor with the non shooting starters we have.

If Bd j.r and shump can start hittin jumpers at any where near a respectable clip we're off as long as our D is atleast fomidable.

Jlin becomes your spark off the bench a guy that can go for 20 and work with a team of hustlers off the bench.

AS a note: Bdiddy is turning it over on high energy passes and risk taking. Lin is jump passing stumbling and rushing the game, thinking too hard.

metrocard

Legend
So the guy who made an impact and saved our season needs to take a back seat to two guys who can't get on the same page with each other?

Lin led this roster when our "superstars" were injured. Everyone was playing off of Lin's energy and production. THAT'S leadership.

Amare spent the offseason trolling everyone into thinking he'd be the leader and build chemistry with team workouts. Melo didn't even give a f*ck about building chemistry with his MAX counterpart. He preferred maintaining his social status with 3 guys who have gone on to lead their teams in unbelievable fashion! Wade and James are beasting it up in Miami and CP3 has turned the Clippers around.

Without Lin, we wouldn't even be in playoff contention.

quiggle

Starter
Lin already did his thing to bridge the Giants to the start of baseball, now he has to take a seat and let the All Star name players take the stage and make the NBA look good heading into the playoffs

TruOrngnBlu

Benchwarmer
Just sayin'

Metro, in a Vacuum or a perfect world what you say makes sense. In the interest of going as far as we can with what we have now, Lin off the bench is the way to go.

The coach is horrible. Cannot utilize classic simple basketball plays that utilize movement of The BALL FROM PLAYER TO PLAYER.

This Coach wants the ball to be moved by the guard til option 1 is found (within the first 7 seconds) after that it is what it is.

I think that's a lot to ask from Lin. Unless you think starting him the rest of the season gets us ready for next year with a new coach and a gm prepared to build around him. No need to bench him.

Considering what we have and how best to benefit ALL players need to look at starting Davis.

red32

Benchwarmer
Even though I don't think BD is a better starter than Lin, but it would be interesting to try this out for couple games while we still can.

This might work because Melo and Stat wouldn't feel like they have to play thru BD (like they have to play thru Lin). So if this first unit could "hang in there" and then Lin could come in with the 2nd unit and a faster pace.

If this would make Melo and Stat perform better, why not?

Benchwarmer
Lin seems to have lost that killer instinct and aggressiveness that started the winning streak. Of course that was without our "Max Cats" in the lineup. Now Lin has to play NBA Politician and make sure everybody gets their shots.

:agreed:

I agree with the above, but I don't think he's "lost" the instinct,
just that he feels the need (as you wrote) to make sure everybody
gets their shots.

I also think that he needs to be able to play more game, in order
to work up to that aggressiveness. Taking a rest on the bench only
kills the momentum. (In my opinion as I'm new to basketball.)

I think he needs to follow his instincts and take more shots when
he needs to!

:gony:

Den318

Benchwarmer
:agreed:

I agree with the above, but I don't think he's "lost" the instinct,
just that he feels the need (as you wrote) to make sure everybody
gets their shots.

I also think that he needs to be able to play more game, in order
to work up to that aggressiveness. Taking a rest on the bench only
kills the momentum. (In my opinion as I'm new to basketball.)

I think he needs to follow his instincts and take more shots when
he needs to!

:gony:

Melo is too selfish and Lin is too Unselfish. Lin should be more like Melo. Melo is shooting 40%, Lin should take some of melo's shot.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Metro, in a Vacuum or a perfect world what you say makes sense. In the interest of going as far as we can with what we have now, Lin off the bench is the way to go.

The coach is horrible. Cannot utilize classic simple basketball plays that utilize movement of The BALL FROM PLAYER TO PLAYER.

This Coach wants the ball to be moved by the guard til option 1 is found (within the first 7 seconds) after that it is what it is.

I think that's a lot to ask from Lin. Unless you think starting him the rest of the season gets us ready for next year with a new coach and a gm prepared to build around him. No need to bench him.

Considering what we have and how best to benefit ALL players need to look at starting Davis.

Exactly, I think staying with Lin as a starter benefits him more so than the rest of the team because it allows him to find himself as a player since he is basically like a rookie PG out there.

But Lin starting isn't the only problem it's mostly that this system doesn't mesh well with the overall personnel.

wian

Benchwarmer
Lin is not the problem at all in our team IMO

We are bloody lucky to have him on our team because we would be in the shit even further if he wasnt here, and he deserves to be on the starting 5 unlike a few others that i wont care to mention ....

petescud

Starter
couldn't agree more. Lin for a guy playing his what 25th game? Kid nails the 3 for the most part, gives ya 15 pts 8 assist a night...i love his game. He just needs work on his T/O's but that will come. He's 23. Hope the Knicks can keep him. He seems to be the most consistant Knick along with TC

Lin is not the problem at all in our team IMO

We are bloody lucky to have him on our team because we would be in the shit even further if he wasnt here, and he deserves to be on the starting 5 unlike a few others that i wont care to mention ....