• Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

Red

TYPE-A
Our Broadway Bigs Can Bring Linsanity Back if they want to

During Linsanity when he was constantly attacking the basket, it was amazing, Allen Iverson-like. He knocked down mid-range and three point shots efficiently, and I do hope he improves his shooting, but I don't want him to do a lot of it. Of course, when teams started figuring him out/played him harder he couldn't do it as much, but he has the skills and work ethic to maybe get back to that. I'm all for mixing it up, but the constant attacking would be huge and be an example of for the rest of the team not to settle. I couldn't ask anything more from him on offense when he was attacking and never settling during Linsanity.

There are a few mitgating factors not so apparent such as:

1. Lin found himself in the perfect situation. WE WERE DESPARATE, losing, reeling, headed for disaster. It was so bad that we couldn't figure out was it the offense, defense, or both, or maybe coaching.

Lin at that time was the savior. He had no pressure, no expectations to live up to, and so with everyone looking on, he flourished. He couldn't shoot enough, and he did with no recourse. It was then that we started seeing things we forgot about.

We forgot about ball movement, the kick-out, the lob to he big man etc... and Lin reminded us. He reminded us of quality fundamental ball; getting the big involved early; playing fundamentally sound and NOT beating ourself.

And then in COMES D'ANTONI WITH HIS STUPID SMIRK as if to say "see I told you so" this is my way and my way wins. Sorry for the tangent but no way should MDA have gotten that credit.

The credit, rightfully so, goes to Lin. LINSANITY was Lin's interpretation of the system coupled with little to no pressure. We see the pressure vs no-pressure situation make and break athletes all the time. Yet we cannot look past the #'s Lin put up. For those that say it was the system; did Duhon, Felton, or even Nash do that? Nope.

2. Lin being Linsaity can only work if the vet leaders (big 3) buy in. They must encourage Lin to play with that same reckless abandonment and being fearless when it comes to mistakes.

The team and big 3 must believe that this is what's best for the team for that to return. Rememeber during Linsanity we fielded a team of substandard players who were looking for some one to give the ball to, to save them. It was hot-potato, thus passing was not an issue. They were all too ready to get rid of the ball, opposite what our starters think. Melo wants the ball, Jeffries not so much.

3. Melo must let Lin try to close. Yeah I know Melo is a closer, but what better way to instill confidence in young Lin than to show that we are willing to take a chance of a loss to have him do his thing?

Who knows? Maybe the ball will find itself back in Melo's hands anyway.

My above points can be summed up by saying:

The team can bring Linsanity back if they want to. They will dictate the impact of Lin, more than Lin himself. Sieze the moment young man...

Step up.

Paul1355

All Star
During Linsanity when he was constantly attacking the basket, it was amazing, Allen Iverson-like. He knocked down mid-range and three point shots efficiently, and I do hope he improves his shooting, but I don't want him to do a lot of it. Of course, when teams started figuring him out/played him harder he couldn't do it as much, but he has the skills and work ethic to maybe get back to that. I'm all for mixing it up, but the constant attacking would be huge and be an example of for the rest of the team not to settle. I couldn't ask anything more from him on offense when he was attacking and never settling during Linsanity.

I started watching the games on youtube from linsanity...he wa amazing like you said...just took over in every way. I can't wait for a full season with Lin being mentored by Kidd and having so many weapons at his disposal.

If Felton could average 17 ppg and 9 assists with just Amare then Lins numbers should be great.

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
I think Lin tried to adjust to his team's interests (the stars Melo and Stat mainly) and thats why we don't see him drive to the basket as much as he did during Linsanity. He definitely has the skills and athleticism to do it, which we witnessed. I think he is pressured to pass because that's what's expected of a PG. Even though imo, a scoring PG is much more lethal than a passing PG, because a scoring PG will threaten the net and attract defenders to double-team. Even ppl on KO would say he needs to become more pass-orientated PG, which I disagree with since he has the rare gift of explosiveness and quick acceleration of a scoring PG.

Additionally, Woody's style of play is not PG-orientated like D. Antoni's. As much as I appreciate Woody's focus on Defense, I liked MDA's offensive play better.

TLDR; I think Lin needs to stop caring about what Woody wants / the stars on this team want and utilize his gifted traits to play more like a scoring PG.

Paul1355

All Star
There are a few mitgating factors not so apparent such as:

1. Lin found himself in the perfect situation. WE WERE DESPARATE, losing, reeling, headed for disaster. It was so bad that we couldn't figure out was it the offense, defense, or both, or maybe coaching.

Lin at that time was the savior. He had no pressure, no expectations to live up to, and so with everyone looking on, he flourished. He couldn't shoot enough, and he did with no recourse. It was then that we started seeing things we forgot about.

We forgot about ball movement, the kick-out, the lob to he big man etc... and Lin reminded us. He reminded us of quality fundamental ball; getting the big involved early; playing fundamentally sound and NOT beating ourself.

And then in COMES D'ANTONI WITH HIS STUPID SMIRK as if to say "see I told you so" this is my way and my way wins. Sorry for the tangent but no way should MDA have gotten that credit.

The credit, rightfully so, goes to Lin. LINSANITY was Lin's interpretation of the system coupled with little to no pressure. We see the pressure vs no-pressure situation make and break athletes all the time. Yet we cannot look past the #'s Lin put up. For those that say it was the system; did Duhon, Felton, or even Nash do that? Nope.

2. Lin being Linsaity can only work if the vet leaders (big 3) buy in. They must encourage Lin to play with that same reckless abandonment and being fearless when it comes to mistakes.

The team and big 3 must believe that this is what's best for the team for that to return. Rememeber during Linsanity we fielded a team of substandard players who were looking for some one to give the ball to, to save them. It was hot-potato, thus passing was not an issue. They were all too ready to get rid of the ball, opposite what our starters think. Melo wants the ball, Jeffries not so much.

3. Melo must let Lin try to close. Yeah I know Melo is a closer, but what better way to instill confidence in young Lin than to show that we are willing to take a chance of a loss to have him do his thing?

Who knows? Maybe the ball will find itself back in Melo's hands anyway.

My above points can be summed up by saying:

The team can bring Linsanity back if they want to. They will dictate the impact of Lin, more than Lin himself. Sieze the moment young man...

Step up.

How can you say that Lin had no pressure and just found himself in the perfect situation?

We were like 6 games under .500...the media was killing the Knicks and it was a sinking ship Titanic style on epic proportions. ALL the pressure was on Jeremy Lin, especailly since Melo and Amare were hurt most of the time Lin played.

Lin came out of it like a champ and carried us because he is just THAT GOOD and people need to stop thinking that anyone is better in FA right now...screw Felton he doesn't even come close to Lin's status. Lin took over games single handedly, he is legit.

Ball movement is simple, you pass the ball, however you need to break down a teams defense and it is done by having a PG that can attack the rim and draw defenders to him. This is what Lin is good at. Felton did not do this enough which pissed me off but Lin has an attacking mentality similar to Dwayne Wade.

How much pressure was on Lin when he faced the Lakers? The hype could have broken any player, but he ate it up and played better and kept rolling because he feeds off the pressure and the pressure was there in abundance.

Lin knew if he failed, the team would fail. He brought them to the playoffs and when Lin went down Melo and Tyson held down the fort.

To be honest with you Lin is so good that he doesn't need the stars to step up but if we want to be a dominate team then they have to. Lin was amazing without them, showing how good he is, but he can't do it alone and he will only make other players better.

The closing situation depends on who is hot but I like how Lin is another option now. It is hard to honestly say you would trust Lin over Melo with the last shot, even though Lin had that Raptors game and all that but Melo has the most game winning shots since 2003, more than Kobe. ANd Melo had ridiculous games like the one against Chicago nailing 2 long bombs with Deng in his face to win it...only Melo and Durant can do that.

Lin wasn't a product of the system, that is so BLLSHT....MIke D never made any player...he is and always will be an over rated coach that just gave players the green light.

Melo was in his slump when Lin was playing and Amare was off all year.

LIN IS LEGIT and made MIke D look good just like Steve Nash made Mike D look so good we gave him a bloated contract that was a waste of time.

Look bro, you made good points and some I agreed with but to say Lin had no pressure is complete nonesense...IN NY THERE IS ALWAYS PRESSURE...especially when the world is watching you like a hawk and studying every move you make like it was during Linsanity.

He had all the pressure and stepped up most of the time. He deserves the contract to be matched and deserves to start over Jason Kidd. He will be a great player for years to come.

I just want him to find the open man and drain the occasional open shot.

If we keep him...I want him to work on his handle and conditioning. I'm not so sure that first step will still be there anymore (Knee surgery). Many dudes lose some speed and their cutting ability after a knee injury...and when they try to regain that ability (playing in NBA games) they end up reinjuring that knee. He might have to change his game up a bit. He risks hurting himself most times he takes it inside. He gets hammered alot, hits the floor alot, he needs to harden his body so his style will last 82 games. I doubt we'll be seeing the same JLin from last year because people are on to him. I'm really worried about this guy, I hope the poor dude reaches at least some of those high expectations some people are placing on him. It will get ugly pretty quick for him if he hasn't solved his turnover and durability issues.

metrocard

Legend
I just want him to find the open man and drain the occasional open shot.

If we keep him...I want him to work on his handle and conditioning. I'm not so sure that first step will still be there anymore (Knee surgery). Many dudes lose some speed and their cutting ability after a knee injury...and when they try to regain that ability (playing in NBA games) they end up reinjuring that knee. He might have to change his game up a bit. He risks hurting himself most times he takes it inside. He gets hammered alot, hits the floor alot, he needs to harden his body so his style will last 82 games. I doubt we'll be seeing the same JLin from last year because people are on to him. I'm really worried about this guy, I hope the poor dude reaches at least some of those high expectations some people are placing on him. It will get ugly pretty quick for him if he hasn't solved his turnover and durability issues.

You're trying too hard to be negative.

You're trying too hard to be negative.

How so? I think thats just what you want to see. Yeah, I have my concerns about the dude, and I addressed them thoroughly. I like him, but I'm not one of those dudes thats going to pretend to know much about him or his current status.

metrocard

Legend
He's not Chris Paul, Ricky Rubio or Kyrie Irving. I don't think Lin will make that big of a jump in terms of ball security and passing. I do believe hell become GOOD, just not ELITE. I wouldn't be mad at that since Lin has scoring and defensively ability and Shumpert can also handle the ball and play great defense. Arenas/Hughes back when they were in Washington.

He can fit in easily if he plays his position (pass first, ball safty and control). Fortunately for the Knicks, they will not need too much form him, yet. Just some basic average PG stuff. If he protects the rock I'm sold.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
He's not Chris Paul, Ricky Rubio or Kyrie Irving. I don't think Lin will make that big of a jump in terms of ball security and passing. I do believe hell become GOOD, just not ELITE. I wouldn't be mad at that since Lin has scoring and defensively ability and Shumpert can also handle the ball and play great defense. Arenas/Hughes back when they were in Washington.

Gil was a top 5 player at his peak here in DC. I dont think Lin has a chance to do anything close to that.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Lin Not Impressed By Knicks Not Offering Contract Before Rockets

The New York Knicks may have to patch things up with Jeremy Lin.

According to a report by the New York Daily News, Lin is upset that the Knicks didn't offer him a new contract before the Houston Rockets came calling with a lucraticve offer sheet.

Rockets-to-meet-with-Lin-Mavs-interested-SV1Q4UGI-x-large.jpg

Knicks Blog
Looking for more Knicks news? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Lin has verbally agreed to sign a four-year offer sheet with the Rockets. The deal reportedly is worth $28.8 million, with $10.2 million coming in the first two seasons and over $9 million in each of the last two.

Despite the Knicks insisting they would match the Rockets' offer, Lin still feels slighted, according to the Daily News.

"He was surprised that the Knicks didn't make the first move," a league source told the paper. "They know they've got to mend some fences with him because he believes what the Rockets have told him, that the Knicks weren't as interested as they are."

The Rockets had Lin in training camp last season, but waived him because they already had Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic on their roster. Now that they've traded Lowry to Toronto, and with Dragic headed to Phoenix, Houston is trying to get Lin back.

However, Lin is almost certain to return to the Knicks, who can match the offer as early as Wednesday.

"They will match any offer on Lin up to 1 billion dollars," a source told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Lin made $788,000 last season when he averaged 14.6 points, 6.2 assists and 3.1 rebounds in 35 games with 25 starts before his campaign was cut short because of surgery to repair torn cartilage in his knee.

"What he has to learn is that it's not personal," the source told the Daily News."The Knicks merely played by the rules.''

Lin, who went undrafted out of Harvard, became a sensation with a remarkable stretch in February, scoring at least 20 points in nine of 10 games. A high point of that span came Feb. 10, when he scored 38 points and had seven assists in a 92-85 win over the Lakers.

Lin's expected signing will highlight a busy offseason for the Knicks, who have reached an agreement with veteran playmaker Jason Kidd to back up Lin while reaching a sign-and-trade agreement to bring center Marcus Camby back to New York. J.R. Smith and Steve Novak also are expected to ink new deals.

Bit of self promotion...:lol:

If he really is upset, he needs to get the F over it.

Knicks had every right to evaluate Lin's market value, and though some say the Rocket's offer is too high, I'm surprised it's been the only offer put forth through a busy free agency.

Right call by Grundog, no doubt.

knicks_display_image.jpg
4155-5456.gif

This makes no sense, why would he be unhappy if we are allowing him to see his true value by testing the waters? If we would've began with a $10 million deal he would've felt insulted. I hope he isn't saying this just to use this as a an excuse for not wanting to come back to NY. He probably wants to be a "Franchise" player in Houston knowing they are rebuilding and we have so many stars and quality players that need minutes.

elcol

Rotation player
People in new York city know what the daily news is capable of.more like a tabloid with pun filled headlines instead of a legit paper