What to do with Lin?

• Let him walk

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters
I get this point, but why wouldn't the Knicks just sign a traditional SG if that was there move? Also, we do have JR Smith coming back. I think if we were bringing Lin back we would've signed a SG and not two PGs.

With that said, I hope I'm wrong.

Felton's value is that he can shoot the 3 well and play point. So he can easily play shooting guard and give the Knicks another 3 point shooter. And Jason Kidd isn't really a true point guard anymore, in that he doesn't penetrate and is more of a spot up 3 point shooter. Nor can he play that many minutes. Adding Felton gives depth at the guard positions when lack of it last year killed the team (injuries to baron davis, Lin, Shumpert).

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
Maybe they just don't like how he fits in our new style

If FelTON gets back in top shape I'd be fine but come on 25 million after 25 starts, would you do it
Are you a hater or a Knicks fan?
Why should you care so much about how much Lin makes? I am sure you know by now that his contract has ZERO affect on our cap. If he makes 24 million less, it still doesnt give us a cent in signing another player!

Paul1355

All Star
Yeah, but Lin makes the Knicks a ton of money. Arguably he's the most popular player on the team. And finally Dolan is swimming in money. Felton in shape might be good again, but who knows. He was terrible last season.

I get this point, but why wouldn't the Knicks just sign a traditional SG if that was there move? Also, we do have JR Smith coming back. I think if we were bringing Lin back we would've signed a SG and not two PGs.

With that said, I hope I'm wrong.

I am sure Knicks got assurance from Felton's camp that he would shed some baby fat.

Knicks could have signed a SG but I did the research...besides Michael Pietrus and Courtny lee there are no legit SG to go after that would be a good fit on this team. Forget Ronnie Brewer and his ugly Landry Fields type jumper. We need either scorers or ball handlers and felton is a bit of both.

Stagnation is in an offense is caused by many things but a quick fix is simply to get players that no how to break down a defense (Lin and Felton) and players that can quarterback other players and hit them in the right spots and coach on the floor (Kidd).....If we have two PG's on the floor, breaking down a defense and finding the big 3 of melo amare and Chandler open...no team will stop us.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Are you a hater or a Knicks fan?
Why should you care so much about how much Lin makes? I am sure you know by now that his contract has ZERO affect on our cap. If he makes 24 million less, it still doesnt give us a cent in signing another player!

It's funny you guys say why do we care how much he makes but call STAT and Melo overpaid

Lin gettin that deal would kill any flexibility we have come year 3 with aging role players

I'm a Knicks fan who understands that cap flexibility is going to be key with the new CBA

munco

Benchwarmer
I am sure Knicks got assurance from Felton's camp that he would shed some baby fat.

Knicks could have signed a SG but I did the research...besides Michael Pietrus and Courtny lee there are no legit SG to go after that would be a good fit on this team. Forget Ronnie Brewer and his ugly Landry Fields type jumper. We need either scorers or ball handlers and felton is a bit of both.

Stagnation is in an offense is caused by many things but a quick fix is simply to get players that no how to break down a defense (Lin and Felton) and players that can quarterback other players and hit them in the right spots and coach on the floor (Kidd).....If we have two PG's on the floor, breaking down a defense and finding the big 3 of melo amare and Chandler open...no team will stop us.

You make some good points. I don't like the idea of signing a guy that played terribly and was out of shape but maybe he'll prove me wrong and have a good year.

As for getting a good SG, I think Courtney Lee would've been a good option until Shumpert gets back. I just can't imagine the Knicks adding three PGs in the offseason if they intended on bringing Lin back. I actually forgot that the Knicks also signed Prigioni. Cripes.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Tbh so far the knicks have actually made some really good moves. They got their big in camby. Vet pg and reliable passer in kidd. Resigned jr (questionable but best available) and now they have felton, a fat a$$ but can shoot. the final piece is lin. If he doesn't get signed I'd be surprised bc knicks front office can't be that dumb (then again we did let isiah wreak havoc for most of the last decade). If knicks match, we get lin back and now we're a dangerous team.

so far I'm in agreement with our moves. even better than the bk nets.

It's funny you guys say why do we care how much he makes but call STAT and Melo overpaid

Lin gettin that deal would kill any flexibility we have come year 3 with aging role players

I'm a Knicks fan who understands that cap flexibility is going to be key with the new CBA

You are totally right. People always whine about stat and melo being overpaid. At least they have years of being an all star. What does Lin have? 25 games? Yeah right.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
Felton's value is that he can shoot the 3 well and play point. So he can easily play shooting guard and give the Knicks another 3 point shooter. And Jason Kidd isn't really a true point guard anymore, in that he doesn't penetrate and is more of a spot up 3 point shooter. Nor can he play that many minutes. Adding Felton gives depth at the guard positions when lack of it last year killed the team (injuries to baron davis, Lin, Shumpert).
As much as i liked Jeffery and all the jokes about Felton being fat, I look forward to Felton being a Knick a again.

Felton adds depth into ball movement, passing, and ball handling ability.

Last year, at 1 and 2, we had:
- TD
- Walker
- Shumpert
- Field
- Bibby
- Lin
- JR
- B Davis

By the last game, we had:
- Bibby
- JR
- Field
- TD

Now that Field and TD are goners, and most likely Biddy wont be re-signed, we have only JR left from 1 and 2 from last game of the season roster. Knicks were still in desperation need of 1 and 2 untill this trade.

Current roster:
Kidd/Felton
White/JR/Shump(injured)
Melo/Novak
Stat
Tyson/Camby

It's a good signing by trading an extra C and PF for a PG, and by looking at the roster, you can bet Grunwald will re-sign Lin too. You can't expect Kidd and Felton run a full season at PG. What would happen if one of them is injured?

I expect another signing to fill the 4. Hope we can pick up another Jeffery at vet min like last season.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer

LOL Werent you the one who always complaint, "why do you guys always have to bring Melo in?"
No sir! I am not one of those who had bytched about their contracts. The difference is Melo and Stat's contracts count against the cap and Lin's doesnt.

Kill any flexibility? What flexibility are you talking about beside Dolan dolling out more dough??

Lin's contract has ZERO affect on our cap, now or 3 years later!

Tokie420

Benchwarmer
What can I say Im shocked. Just got on the internet for the first time since yesterday, and cant believe what im seeing. Only thing I can think of is Lin and Kidd running the back court with felton backing them both up. If thats the case I fn love the move. I just dont see that though. I have a feeling Lin is gone, that Woodson and Melo arent fans. Maybe he rubbed them the wrong way with his unwillingness to play in the playoffs, or maybe they just dont see the fit. Im in no way blaming them just opinions. Now If we are indeed running with Felton/Kidd who starts? I think if Woodson gets on Feltons ass(no homo) and he loses weight and gets motivated I think he may be a better fit then Lin for the Now. People are going to look at him as the guy who ran Lin out fo town. Him and Kidd for that matter. So they better perform. The NY media will eat them up if they struggle and Lin goes off in HOU.

Its just a bad move for the future(and im not a big look to the future guy) to let lin go. Him and Shump are the only true young pieces we have on this team. Im just really surprised were going this route.

Side Note- **** yeah KURT THOMAS!!!!! I used to love watching dude play. Gritty and had the lil mid range jumper that was automatic. Another smart albeit OLD player but I like what he adds to the mix as a guy to come in and give you a couple smart mins.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Kidd at the 2

Felton at the 2

I see it like this

they sign all these players, then trade stat in the last year so he has an expiring contract along with someone else, if lin is worth it by then. idk

Lilnickywood20

Benchwarmer
hes for sure comin back

who was gonna share the two spot with JR

His bro Chris?

That would get interesting

Lin may even get some reps at the SG pos

well play a 2 guard back court, they can all distribute

the POSition theory goes out the door and we play the hot hand

love the idea

Tokie420

Benchwarmer
hes for sure comin back

who was gonna share the two spot with JR

His bro Chris?

That would get interesting

Lin may even get some reps at the SG pos

well play a 2 guard back court, they can all distribute

the POSition theory goes out the door and we play the hot hand

love the idea

Same I love that idea. Just hope the Knicks do as well.

I keep thinking if we dont keep lin our backcourt is an injury away from disaster until shump comes back. We still dont have a legit SG besides JR and why would they get rid of the gadz contract for soemthing other than a SG? I dunno. I hope it comes out pretty clear the intentions later today because imma be wondering bout this **** all day.

oshi

Benchwarmer
This **** crazy man, that's all I can say. Signing Kidd and Felton to 3 year deals is flat out crazy. Signing all these old players is crazy. Trading Jeffries is crazy. Not resigning Lin who has a ton of potential is crazy. Give Amare max deal but Lin 15 mil just 1 year (a player who prints money for Dolan).. letting him walk, come on man.

Honestly I'm so tired of how this team is being handled AGAIN. If they don't resign Lin I think I might become a Nets fan honestly. Almost 15 years now this team has been a trainwreck to watch.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Who gives a crap about the third year. If Dolan doesn't want to pay it, then trade stat the final year, or something, he will have an expiring contract so if we do something like throw in, felton maybe? we can get rid of luxury tax.

Wargames

Starter
Because right now, the Knicks have no healthy shooting guards other than JR Smith, with Fields gone and Shump injured.

Kidd will now see more time as shooting guard, and Felton will then be primary back-up to Lin.

First off what did Hahn say? Every other NYK beat writer is guessing and probably talking BS to sell some papers and get some views.

Add to that Kidd is 38. For two years in a row the lack of PG depth and over relying on an older PG to play big minutes to begin with blew up in the Knicks face. Kidd was brought to help mentor Lin and play decent minutes. He was not brought here to be the only PG in case Lin got injured again.

Felton is the kind of "Kitchen Sink" insurance a team really going all in needs. Shump should be back in the playoffs that will give depth everywhere. Lin and/or Felton along with Kidd as a duo of ball handling guards will minimize the effect of the full court press that the Heat used to "expose" Lin last year.

Grunwald in theory was a avoiding the rockets to keep them from noticing him denying them the only PG left. If they are making this move to win then Grunnie is the type of cold hearted GM the Knicks need if they are really trying to win it all. I mean seriously guys it's only 5 million more in salary and tax penalties. It's not like when Fields got a deal worth double what he was worth.

Last edited:

oshi

Benchwarmer
I am just so surprised they are giving Felton 9 mil. Did they watch him play last year? He deserves a 1 year deal he needs to prove himself again. This is almost as bad as the contract Fields got. ****ing ridiculous. If I wake up and my twitter feed says Knicks letting Lin walk I'll probably throw up right then and there honestly man

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Because Grunwald is a genuis!

When Grunwald came in as interim GM last offseason, what was our biggest need? Defense. He quickly installed Chandler and a bunch of other defensive assets (JJ, Shump) into the roster and improved on our biggest need.

Last season, what was our biggest problems? Ball movement & chemistry. If he re-signs Lin (which i think he will) we have 3 guards capable of starting at PG and running an offense. The chemistry aspect is certainly being underlooked by plenty of posters here. Nearly all players signed this offseason are on 3 year deals, which is appropriate for developing chemistry.

1. Jason Kidd was one of the best PG's available on the market and already has proven chemistry with Chandler and will bring many other intangibles to our squad.

2. Felton has prior experience with STAT and also played with Camby and Kurt Thomas. Did I mention he also shared the back court at times with Jr Smith in Denver?

All of the above will be able to walk in and find chemistry fairly quickly with many of our players. Our starting front court is a 3 headed monster that feeds heavily on ball movement & a capable PG, we will be able to feed it as much as it needs.

One more very important aspect that people are overlooking is how injury plagued we were last playoff's, anyone ever stop and think 'sh!t maybe Grunwald is stopping it from happening again?'. The fact was that we lost both our starting (Lin) & backup PG (Davis) to injury. Even if this happens we will still have one of Felton/Lin/Kidd and Priogoni still on the roster. Injuries happen, and I strongly believe Grunwald is providing a solid protection against this.

"B-bbbbbut the Knicks FO won't want to pay the luxury tax if we keep Lin". Newsflash, the Knicks FO get paid to do their job and are smarter than most of us here for a reason. No matter how much luxury tax we pay, the revenue Lin brings in will be higher.

So to break it down:

Lin's revenue - Luxury tax payments = still a profit for Knicks

So essentially, the only outcome we get my matching Lin's offer (even if he doesn't turn out) is that we make money.

Last edited:

Tokie420

Benchwarmer
Grunwald in theory was a avoiding the rockets to keep them from noticing him denying the only PG left dude is the type of cold hearted GM the Knicks need if they are really trying to win it all.

If this is truly the case then Grunwald is exactly the GM we need to couteract the imcompetence of Dolan.