• Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

KingCharles34

All Star
I have a couple of possible solutions...hopefully nobody mentioned them yet

If we were to match and bring Lin back could we....

Trade his expiring contract after 2 years?

Amnesty Amare?

Or could we....

Trade Amare after 2 years when his contract is going to expire?

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I have a couple of possible solutions...hopefully nobody mentioned them yet

If we were to match and bring Lin back could we....

Trade his expiring contract after 2 years?

Amnesty Amare?

Or could we....

Trade Amare after 2 years when his contract is going to expire?

We can trade Lin and Amare in their final seasons, because of course, expiring contracts are always nice assets to have.

We can't amnesty Amar'e, though. Already used that on Billups.

k260

Rookie
Knicks made a grave mistake by letting LIN walk away. Lin is a CASH COW. He brought in not only ASIAN fans but other nationalities as well. Even if LIN cant put up 18/10, people would still pay to see him/knicks because of him being the underdog, harvard grad, a good kid ( not the typical "thug") and of course the like-able guy.

I can't believe some people here are bashing LIN for accepting an offer that gives him more money. More rookie or young players prefer taking money over winning. Because of they are still young, winning a ring isnt their main concern - they have more time ahead. I cant believe how stupid some people here are.

Kiyaman

Legend
Mchale didnt outsmart anybody, its the gm Daryl Morey thats behind what the Rockets are doing and to be honest nobody is quite sure what the Rockets are doing.

They have lost their 3 point guards over the last year or two (Brooks, Dragic, and Lowry)

They amnestied Luis Scola

They are about to lose Courtney Lee

They gave away Jordan Hill

And now they have offered Jeremy Lin a ridiculous deal where he makes 15 million the final year of a 3 year contract

Daryl Moreys plan was to land a superstar as he stated earlier this offseason. Looks like if they finally do get their star, it will be 1 on 5

Didnt we just do a sign n trade with the Rockets for a unrestricted FA Camby? plus they had 2 first round draft picks .. thanx to us

u forgot Rockets sent Budinger to play with Rubio/Love .. Damn I wanted to add Budinger to the Knicks as Fields backup to come off the bench with Novak.
Houston Rockets made billion$$$ dollars off of Yao-commodity, Lin is a hot selling commodity to build a team around .. the Rockets are having an offseason fire-sale on coach Adeleman players to get deep under the salary-cap.

Fat Elvis

Benchwarmer
It's not Lin's fault

I'm getting annoyed by all the posts criticizing Lin for being greedy and choosing to leave New York. This shows an ignorance about how the whole restricted free agency thing works.

The Knicks could have given Lin an offer before Houston or anyone else - say, 21 million distributed more or less equally over three years. Lin might have taken that. But he never got the opportunity. By some accounts, he was bothered by this, but perhaps those were just BS.

Instead, the Knicks chose not to make an offer, preferring to see what kind of an offer sheet he would sign and then deciding whether to match it. Before yesterday, everyone assumed they would re-sign win, with ESPN's Marc Stein going as far as to say they would match any offer "up to a billion dollars". Lin presumably thought this as well when he signed the rockets offer sheet.

The one criticism you might make of Lin is perhaps he could have negotiated with the rockets to make the offer more equally spread over the three years, so there wouldn't be the so-called "poisoned pill", which would screw up the cap situation for the Knicks in the third year. But he took the best offer he got, presumably with the assumption that the Knicks would match the offer regardless of cap issues. There was good reason for him to believe this, since everyone else seemed to be reporting this, and it was clear that Lin being in New York was a good business situation for the Knicks as well as Lin.

Perhaps you believe going with Felton instead of Lin is better off for the Knicks. But if they end up not choosing to re-sign Lin, in my opinion it is all on the Knicks management. They had a clear opportunity to sign Lin, and had many options to deal with the spiked third year salary, including just paying the luxury tax, trading Lin, trading Amare, or using the amnesty clause on of the the two before the third year. Instead, they seem to be poised to just let him walk, screwing up a great situation unnecessarily. At this point, I'm not even sure what their justification could be. I don't think it's just about money. Stephan A. Smith seems to think that Knicks brass weren't happy about him not playing against the Heat. If that's the reason they let him walk away, they are letting petty hurt feelings and pride get in the way of what's best for the franchise. Lin will be plenty loyal when he gets his guaranteed contract - the situation in Miami was not sufficient to doubt his work ethic and willigness to sacrifice. And Stephan A's comparison to D-Wade was unfair - D-Wade already has been paid tens of millions of dollars and is not in contract negotiations this year. Lin doesn't have money in the bank and was poised to negotiate his first big contract.

The Knicks CAN still match the offer for Lin. If they don't, it's the Knicks choosing to let him go, not Lin choosing to leave. From all accounts, he truly believed the Knicks would match the offer and he was shocked when he heard about the Felton trade. If the Knicks choose to let him go to Houston, the ONLY justification I would be satisfied with is if they have plan in place to go after Chris Paul or another top-tier PG, which I highly doubt. And that's no knock on Felton - I actually think he'll be OK for them. But Lin would have been better, and letting him go is a mistake.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Knicks made a grave mistake by letting LIN walk away. Lin is a CASH COW. He brought in not only ASIAN fans but other nationalities as well. Even if LIN cant put up 18/10, people would still pay to see him/knicks because of him being the underdog, harvard grad, a good kid ( not the typical "thug") and of course the like-able guy.

I can't believe some people here are bashing LIN for accepting an offer that gives him more money. More rookie or young players prefer taking money over winning. Because of they are still young, winning a ring isnt their main concern - they have more time ahead. I cant believe how stupid some people here are.

Seriously? You want Lin here because he is a cash machine and will please the Asian Community? who cares you don't bring a player to your organization to please the crowd just because his name is "jermey Lin". We want to Win and Win NOW while our stars tyson, Amare, and Melo are still in their prime. Dolan is a freaking Billionaire money is not a issue here, this is MSG the mecca of basketball, this is New york city A$$es will be put in those seats regardless if Lin is here or not. To tell you the truth Lin needs New York more than New York needs Lin

Don't get me wrong i like Lin just as much as any other knick fan and would love to see him back with the Knicks, but for that price the Rockets want us to match?? i don't think so! he does not Deserve all that money at all, yes he had a nice run that sparked "Lin-Sanity" but look at the teams he did it against, scrub teams that weren't even playoff teams to begin with? he had impressive games ok against who? the Mavs and Lakers? that's nice and all but the Mavs sucked all last season and the Lakers were coming off back to back games and to add onto that teams were not sure how to defend Lin. Teams caught on eventually and started figuring out his game.. slowly calming the Linsanity stuff down.

Lin is terribly overrated, he's not a scrub but he is very overrated. He's not Deron williams, cp3, rondo, etc etc that people make him out to be. he's jeremey Lin an average PG who's game is currently LIMITED and needs major improvement to get to the elite level. Lin is the same dude who couldn't play in the playoffs because his boo boo was not 100% healed, but at 85% he couldn't spare a few mins the floor? if Melo said he cant play a game in the playoffs because he was at 85% there would of been a riot in New York and Melo would of been a marked man. Derrick Rose went out their and played when he wasn't at 100% because he knew for his team to succeed he had to at least make an attempt and try to help. I'm not trying to knock Lin or anything but thats alot of money for an unproven player who simmered down when teams caught onto his game and has yet to play a full NBA season.

I want Lin back with the Knicks, not because i feel he is on levels with Cp3 or Deron williams and really earned that money, but because in time i feel Lin will grow into a GREAT PG if he really works hard. in 2015 we have alot of contracts expiring and if we bring back Lin and dont trade Shump i feel in 3 years we will have 2 great players to build around with in SHUMP AND LIN

Last edited:

CoolClyde

Winsanity

here are the reasons to re-sign Jeremy Win:

Winsanity - last year was one of the greatest Knick years in over a decade, thanks to the emergence of Jeremy Win. what did Win get? 800K? what did the Knicks make off of him in t-shirt sales, attendance, getting to the playoffs? would they have made these mega-millions if Winsanity never happened? I think not.

$5 million - first year. I think Jeremy has earned this money. after the first week, folks started believing, the second week, Win started earning respect, and by the third week, Winsanity took over the WORLD!

$5.25M- second year. If Jeremy has not earned his keep, the Knicks can trade him, they can trade him to Houston or anyone after the first year. $5.25M is not bad for someone who can make the team better as a true PG, and make other players better.

By the time we get to year 3, we'll have to see if Winsanity is still going strong, if the Knicks have done what they planned with STAT, MELO and CHANDLER having been together for 3 solid years, and the aging hall of famers the Knicks have now. If the Knicks come close to being champs, or by the grace of god, win a championship, then Winsanity will prove it's worth and the luxury tax payments will be taken care of.

The Knicks can trade Win before that 3rd year kicks in, they can trade STAT if HE's not performing, there's a multitude of scenarios than can happen before the third year tax hell kicks in.

folks screaming about Win's $15M really costs the Knicks $40M in that third year due to luxury tax implications, but what's STAT's $23M going to cost the team?

re-signing Win is a Lin Lin situation, at least for the next 2 years.
He can only make the Knicks a better team, and THAT's the bottom f*cking line.
GAME - SET - MATCH!!
:peace::beer::gony:

STAT1

Starter
I'm hearing some people tell me that the Knicks included our 2nd round selection Papanikolaou in that S&T for Felton, but Rotoworld is reporting that it was a 2nd round pick in 2016 that we gave up. Anyone know which is the actual deal?

elcol

Rotation player
Seriously? You want Lin here because he is a cash machine and will please the Asian Community? who cares you don't bring a player to your organization to please the crowd just because his name is "jermey Lin". We want to Win and Win NOW while our stars tyson, Amare, and Melo are still in their prime. Dolan is a freaking Billionaire money is not a issue here, this is MSG the mecca of basketball, this is New york city A$$es will be put in those seats regardless if Lin is here or not. To tell you the truth Lin needs New York more than New York needs Lin

Don't get me wrong i like Lin just as much as any other knick fan and would love to see him back with the Knicks, but for that price the Rockets want us to match?? i don't think so! he does not Deserve all that money at all, yes he had a nice run that sparked "Lin-Sanity" but look at the teams he did it against, scrub teams that weren't even playoff teams to begin with? he had impressive games ok against who? the Mavs and Lakers? that's nice and all but the Mavs sucked all last season and the Lakers were coming off back to back games and to add onto that teams were not sure how to defend Lin. Teams caught on eventually and started figuring out his game.. slowly calming the Linsanity stuff down.

Lin is terribly overrated, he's not a scrub but he is very overrated. He's not Deron williams, cp3, rondo, etc etc that people make him out to be. he's jeremey Lin an average PG who's game is currently LIMITED and needs major improvement to get to the elite level. Lin is the same dude who couldn't play in the playoffs because his boo boo was not 100% healed, but at 85% he couldn't spare a few mins the floor? if Melo said he cant play a game in the playoffs because he was at 85% there would of been a riot in New York and Melo would of been a marked man. Derrick Rose went out their and played when he wasn't at 100% because he knew for his team to succeed he had to at least make an attempt and try to help. I'm not trying to knock Lin or anything but that alot of money for an unproven player who simmered down when teams caught onto his game and has yet to play a full NBA season.

I want Lin back with the Knicks, not because i feel he is on levels with Cp3 or Deron williams and really earned that money, but because in time i feel Lin will grow into a GREAT PG if he really works hard. in 2015 we have alot of contract expiring and if we bring back Lin and dont trade Shump i feel in 3 years we will have 2 great players to build around with SHUMP AND LIN

It is you who is making judgments based on ethics. You are basically saying that Lin does not deserve his giant contract which is absolutely correct in all senses.

The truth is that the Knicks can afford the contract, make the marketing cash back, and in the long run have a better PG than Felton. We all get that he doesn't deserve this cash and he definitely hasn't earned it yet, but there isn't much of a consequence to signing him besides the fact "it isn't right."

Both Lin lovers and the people who want Lin gone are both arguing using the exact same reasoning: "If we let that happen, it just isn't fair/right"

WeReady

Benchwarmer
I'm hearing some people tell me that the Knicks included our 2nd round selection Papanikolaou in that S&T for Felton, but Rotoworld is reporting that it was a 2nd round pick in 2016 that we gave up. Anyone know which is the actual deal?

we gave up that guy

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
Folks,
There's no WAY to put this then PURE UTTER screw up.
Let's go back and piece together the chains of events.

1) It has been reported the Knicks wanted LIN to test the market to see what he is worth out there.
2) Lin and his agent got a offer sheet from Houston for 5,5,9,10 (year 4) for 4 years.
3) The Knicks went out and got Jason Kidd for (3,3,3).
4) The Knicks waited and waited..and waited and waited and waited. It was rumored Bumsfield avoided that offer sheet from Houston like a plague.
5) July 11th came and went. The Knicks threw out a rumor out there they would sign ANY offers made UP TO 1 BILLION dollars.
6) Lin and Houston reworked the offer sheet to (5,5,14 (ouch!)).
7) Knicks traded for Felton and signed this fatA@@ to 3,3,3.

If you look at the chain of events, there's NO ONE ELSE TO BLAME BUT DOLAN and his cronies. The Knicks could have EASILY wrapped this up, but they choose not too. Instead they allow HOUSTON who understands the value and marketing power of a star Chinese player is worth to come in and steal the show.

Job will done Houston. :thumbsup:

Hayato

Benchwarmer
here are the reasons to re-sign Jeremy Win:

Winsanity - last year was one of the greatest Knick years in over a decade, thanks to the emergence of Jeremy Win. what did Win get? 800K? what did the Knicks make off of him in t-shirt sales, attendance, getting to the playoffs? would they have made these mega-millions if Winsanity never happened? I think not.

$5 million - first year. I think Jeremy has earned this money. after the first week, folks started believing, the second week, Win started earning respect, and by the third week, Winsanity took over the WORLD!

$5.25M- second year. If Jeremy has not earned his keep, the Knicks can trade him, they can trade him to Houston or anyone after the first year. $5.25M is not bad for someone who can make the team better as a true PG, and make other players better.

By the time we get to year 3, we'll have to see if Winsanity is still going strong, if the Knicks have done what they planned with STAT, MELO and CHANDLER having been together for 3 solid years, and the aging hall of famers the Knicks have now. If the Knicks come close to being champs, or by the grace of god, win a championship, then Winsanity will prove it's worth and the luxury tax payments will be taken care of.

The Knicks can trade Win before that 3rd year kicks in, they can trade STAT if HE's not performing, there's a multitude of scenarios than can happen before the third year tax hell kicks in.

folks screaming about Win's $15M really costs the Knicks $40M in that third year due to luxury tax implications, but what's STAT's $23M going to cost the team?

re-signing Win is a Lin Lin situation, at least for the next 2 years.
He can only make the Knicks a better team, and THAT's the bottom f*cking line.
GAME - SET - MATCH!!
:peace::beer::gony:

its actually between 26 and 27 mil. 14.9 mil times $1.75.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
It is you who is making judgments based on ethics. You are basically saying that Lin does not deserve his giant contract which is absolutely correct in all senses.

The truth is that the Knicks can afford the contract, make the marketing cash back, and in the long run have a better PG than Felton. We all get that he doesn't deserve this cash and he definitely hasn't earned it yet, but there isn't much of a consequence to signing him besides the fact "it isn't right."

Both Lin lovers and the people who want Lin gone are both arguing using the exact same reasoning: "If we let that happen, it just isn't fair/right"

i think the knicks should resign lin and have lin/felton mix it up at 2 guard a bit

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
Follow up to some of the discussions.

1) Kidd and Felton will make the Knicks better. These guys were added for the price of 6,6,6 for the next 3 years. Kidd shot 36% FG last year and starting the season at 39 years old! Felton is one FATTEST pg in the league. They guy has bounced around from team to team to team to team...if he's ANY GOOD..you think these teams will let him walk? The GUY IS A BUM. PERIOD!

2) Is 25 million a lot? Is Lin worth that much?
BEFORE YOU GO ON WITH THIS NONSENSE.

Click on this chart.
http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=...n;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

Take a GUESS what the price of MSG was before the game the Knicks play the NETS which started the whole Linsanity. MSG was trading at 22-24 dollars. Since LinSanity started....MSG have rallied 17 dollars! That's a 1.1 BILLION IN market value. Read that again. 1.1 BILLION! Now, throw in the TIME WARNER deal that was resolved because of Linsanity. The record merchandise sold. The NEW DEALS in Asia, the 30% season ticket price raise. There was SO much money bleeding out of Dolan's a@@. And all of this could simply be the TIP of the iceberg. Imagine if he keeps on getting better and better?

O
M
G
!
!
!

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
No worries. Lin will soon be back in D-leage where he belong. The King of turnovers won't make it big in Houston. :gony:

Turnover could be fix.

Here's what you can't teach..

Clutch free throws.
Ability to drive by defenders and FINISH around the basket.
Smart.
And Close out games (remember all those strong 4h quarter finishes).

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
I'm getting annoyed by all the posts criticizing Lin for being greedy and choosing to leave New York. This shows an ignorance about how the whole restricted free agency thing works.

The Knicks could have given Lin an offer before Houston or anyone else - say, 21 million distributed more or less equally over three years. Lin might have taken that. But he never got the opportunity. By some accounts, he was bothered by this, but perhaps those were just BS.

Instead, the Knicks chose not to make an offer, preferring to see what kind of an offer sheet he would sign and then deciding whether to match it. Before yesterday, everyone assumed they would re-sign win, with ESPN's Marc Stein going as far as to say they would match any offer "up to a billion dollars". Lin presumably thought this as well when he signed the rockets offer sheet.

The one criticism you might make of Lin is perhaps he could have negotiated with the rockets to make the offer more equally spread over the three years, so there wouldn't be the so-called "poisoned pill", which would screw up the cap situation for the Knicks in the third year. But he took the best offer he got, presumably with the assumption that the Knicks would match the offer regardless of cap issues. There was good reason for him to believe this, since everyone else seemed to be reporting this, and it was clear that Lin being in New York was a good business situation for the Knicks as well as Lin.

Perhaps you believe going with Felton instead of Lin is better off for the Knicks. But if they end up not choosing to re-sign Lin, in my opinion it is all on the Knicks management. They had a clear opportunity to sign Lin, and had many options to deal with the spiked third year salary, including just paying the luxury tax, trading Lin, trading Amare, or using the amnesty clause on of the the two before the third year. Instead, they seem to be poised to just let him walk, screwing up a great situation unnecessarily. At this point, I'm not even sure what their justification could be. I don't think it's just about money. Stephan A. Smith seems to think that Knicks brass weren't happy about him not playing against the Heat. If that's the reason they let him walk away, they are letting petty hurt feelings and pride get in the way of what's best for the franchise. Lin will be plenty loyal when he gets his guaranteed contract - the situation in Miami was not sufficient to doubt his work ethic and willigness to sacrifice. And Stephan A's comparison to D-Wade was unfair - D-Wade already has been paid tens of millions of dollars and is not in contract negotiations this year. Lin doesn't have money in the bank and was poised to negotiate his first big contract.

The Knicks CAN still match the offer for Lin. If they don't, it's the Knicks choosing to let him go, not Lin choosing to leave. From all accounts, he truly believed the Knicks would match the offer and he was shocked when he heard about the Felton trade. If the Knicks choose to let him go to Houston, the ONLY justification I would be satisfied with is if they have plan in place to go after Chris Paul or another top-tier PG, which I highly doubt. And that's no knock on Felton - I actually think he'll be OK for them. But Lin would have been better, and letting him go is a mistake.

One of the BEST POST written about the whole situation. :peace:

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
One more note before i close out the night.

Steven A. Smith is a racist and a moron. He is always looking out for his negro brothers in a sport dominated by Negros. I'm tired of idiots running America.

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
Lin is not worth the money Rockets are paying him. It's ridiculous. 25 starts and he is making more money than the #1 draftpick, are you kidding me? From D-league to superstar money in no time. A few good games under MDA and people go nuts. Lin will make 10 Million more than Anthony Davis the next three years. What a joke...

That bum Carmelo couldn't close out the Time Warner deal.
Before Linsanity, MSG stock traded at 22. It's now at 37. Amost 1 billion added.
Reported there was record merchandise sold in in MSG last year during Linsanity. Name me another 1st round pick that did this.
New deals sign in Asia to broadcast MSG in chinese networks.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Name me what other players can produce all of the above in the NBA?

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
I like Lin but finally a smart front office move by the Knicks by not overpaying

the guy isn't worth the money he's garnering. They're paying for Linsanity not his on court performance which was a run of 25 whopping games!!

Felton just a couple of seasons ago was a rising young pg who garnered all star considerations before being traded. He had 1 down yr after that during a lockout inflicted season.

He's motivated and eager to play here and I expect to see more of the Felton we saw before not just what we saw during a lockout season. People as usual are classic prisoners of the moment. The guy was great for us and had great chemistry with Amare as they ran the pick and roll to perfection.

He also is a solid outside shooter and and a better on ball defender then Lin. Lin is better at playing the passing lanes but when you don't get those steals....

Kidd also isn't as turnover prone and the last few yrs has played like an all NBA defender. while he is not a great shooter from the field he does also help stretch the field with a very good career 3 point percentage. Felton learning from him also would be great.

I feel this team whether ya'll want to jump off a bridge for not over paying and getting hit with a huge cap penalty later in the contract now has some stability at the position.

Not only do we have 2 viable pgs who are actually better in some areas then Lin but we also gained the flexibility to at the very worse if Felton and Kidd both for some strange reason flop to go after Paul who desperately wanted to come here

The one time we should be giving some props to the front office for making a smart front office decision we bash them. Go figure. But guess what I won't for sure if we really end up not matching:gony: