Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

tiger0330

Legend
Lin can not be traded in a sign and trade or otherwise until January 15th regardless of the situation... if i'm not mistaken
We haven't matched yet so it's theoretically possible to SnT him. Our problem is we don't have assets to trade and we don't have cap space to absorb another players salary. Grunie is probably working on a SnT possibility, I don't think we have the assets.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
This sucks. People are still saying he?s worth it but barely know anything about the guy. Has anybody even seen this guy play since he was injured?
Big ass contract is only going to cause dissention within the locker room because guys have been around longer and played more consistently?but are not making as much for their skill contributions.
Dolan doesn?t need the money. The Knicks will make plenty money regardless of Lin?.they always have. If we keep him and he ends up a bust the signing will be another example of Knicks spending big on underachievers?.I?m sure this is on the minds of Dolan and the management.
Like I said eailier when all this was first reported?let Houston have him so they can be the laughing stock of the NBA for the next 3 years. He?s no franchise, as I recall?everyone was saying Kidd?s tutelage will make him better, But, IMO? a player at this pay rate is suppose to be primed not trained. This has to be a Joke. What the hell is on his mind and his supporters? lol, Ridiculous.
?Houston, we have a problem!!? lol

Agreed, JR Smith is already criticizing the offer, Melo has already stated something as well. But I think if it wasn't as backloaded, Dolan matches, even 6-7-11, Dolan would lean towards matching....or at least the Felton deal wouldn't have been done yet.

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer
i personally find it interesting how KO posters are divided on re-signing Lin. before the 2nd poison pill was offered by Houston, most posters (other than Jim KC and a few more) thought Knicks would match and be OK with it. with the new 3-year, 25 Million offer out there, those f*cking "sources" won't STFU how Knicks will not re-sign the Linsanity effect and a lot more folks are divided over Felton vs Lin.

question is, what is Lin worth? 800K he was paid for 25 games of Linsanity? doesn't he deserve a lot more just for skyrocketing interest in the Knicks and bringing a winning flavor to a lackluster D'amntoni-dominated team? Is Lin worth $5M for 1 year? is he worth $10.25M for 2 years?

think about what he brings to the Knicks, what he has brought to the organization, how he improved the team all around, and lastly, what he brings to the marketing table.

With the aging stars currently on the team, we've got a 2-year window to make things happen. If Lin has not impressed by then, if STAT and MELO have not meshed into true champions by then, don't you think Knicks FO will be getting rid of STAT and Lin before luxury tax hell kicks in? If Lin does not prove his 2-year/$10M worth, his contract become valuable as a trade asset.

Let's not think about year 3 at this point, let think about how Lin makes the Knicks better, how he should be the healthy starting point guard for a team trying to win now. Let's talk the 2-year plan. Let's talk about winning this year and or next...THIS is WINSANITY!!

I SAY...MATCH MOFO's!!

love from your new mod-dammit!
:beer:

To us, the fans, he is worth the money. We are the ones who bought the jerseys and t-shirts. We are the ones who started paying ridiculous prices to go to the games. We are the ones who called Time Warner demanding they agree to MSG terms. We are the ones who have already sold out MSG for next year. To Dolan, the season tickets are already sold, the Timewarner deal is in place for a number of years, and Lin is nothing more than $60 million out of his pocket over the next 3 years. The scenario in which the Knicks can trade Lin, while likely now, is called risk. Billionaires don't like risk. They like easy money. For Dolan, this is a great move. For the fans who see past yes men like Stephen A and Alan Hahn, guys who have direct incentive to keep the knicks organization happy, it's clear that this isn't about Lin, melo, or hurt feelings. Dolan has already made his money off Lin from the fans, and is now looking to save money from his own pocket.

nyk_nyk

All Star
This sucks. People are still saying he?s worth it but barely know anything about the guy. Has anybody even seen this guy play since he was injured?
Big ass contract is only going to cause dissention within the locker room because guys have been around longer and played more consistently?but are not making as much for their skill contributions.
Dolan doesn?t need the money. The Knicks will make plenty money regardless of Lin?.they always have. If we keep him and he ends up a bust the signing will be another example of Knicks spending big on underachievers?.I?m sure this is on the minds of Dolan and the management.
Like I said eailier when all this was first reported?let Houston have him so they can be the laughing stock of the NBA for the next 3 years. He?s no franchise, as I recall?everyone was saying Kidd?s tutelage will make him better, But, IMO? a player at this pay rate is suppose to be primed not trained. This has to be a Joke. What the hell is on his mind and his supporters? lol, Ridiculous.
?Houston, we have a problem!!? lol

Exactly! It's fine if you're just paying for Linsanity, but from a pure basketball standpoint its ridiculous. Players need to earn that first payday. What's Lin's motivation to keep applying pressure on himself in years 1-2? He's already set for his big payday in 2015 no matter what he does.

He's turnover prone, has a weak left hand and a questionable heart. Yeah the heart part is referring to his sitting out at 85% in the playoffs. Not even 15 min/gm to help your team??? Me thinks he was a bit scared of Chalmers on the biggest stage.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
We haven't matched yet so it's theoretically possible to SnT him. Our problem is we don't have assets to trade and we don't have cap space to absorb another players salary. Grunie is probably working on a SnT possibility, I don't think we have the assets.
But isn't it to late for a Sign and trade since the offer sheet has already been signed by Lin?

I thought it was either we match and keep him or the Rockets get him.

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
Knicks 2012 is built to win in 2013 or bust.

So having Lin vs Felton is no big issue in grand scheme of things,
but having said that it is a terrible handling of the situation by the front office,

he should have been offered a deal and got signed a long time ago.

That's why u don't let your restricted FA test the market like that.
Lin is a goner -fact.

But isn't it to late for a Sign and trade since the offer sheet has already been signed by Lin?

I thought it was either we match and keep him or the Rockets get him.
Is it possible to match it then trade him to another team in exchange for more depth? That would be great, we would end up screwing over Houston and Lin for being a shady bitch and re upping the offer after we told him we would match the first one.

Crazy⑧s;242823 said:
I've been checking in on the Rockets forum as well. This poster hit the nail on the situation.
The thing is I don't think they're actually very upset with the Rockets about this. They're more pissed off that Lin went behind their backs, told them he was signing a lower offer and then turned around and upped it after they said they'd match. Dolan probably sees it as a betrayal of trust.

They're less concerned with screwing the Rockets and more pissed off at Lin.

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
in all fairness to Lin,
the front office wanted to keep Lin out of the playoff series bc they thought he'd be the long term asset.
-now Lin is gone.

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
can't really criticize Lin for wanting to maximize his deal,
after all he and his agent knows guaranteed money beats anything any day.
plus the fact that he was told that ANY offer was gonna be matched - whichh was stupid thing to say by the Knicks - they showed their cards -dumbass Dolan and his servants.

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
even ESPN was told by a Knicks source that we'll match for a billion if need be - which was the dumbest thing an intelligent businessman say - NEVER show your cards.

metrocard

Legend
Crazy⑧s;242823 said:

Honestly, the Lin situation isn't a big deal. We didn't lose a lot to get him, waived player we signed and he balled out.

Only bad thing is Lin's story was a New York story, one of the best stories in NY sports...Lin meant a lot to the franchise in that respect.

In terms of basketball moves this isn't bad...only if we can get a young PG of the future to groom under Kidd and Prigoni....I hate Ray Felton more than any other PG in the NBA next to Jameer Nelson. I hope we can drop Felton before he ruins our season.

CoolClyde

even ESPN was told by a Knicks source that we'll match for a billion if need be - which was the dumbest thing an intelligent businessman say - NEVER show your cards.
:agreed:
THIS is the mistake Wood Son made, saying Lin would be starting PG before he was matched, and EVERY other "source" who said Knicks would match Houston's first offer sheet.

sorry to say, Papa Nickolas was traded for Felton, time to change your name...
unless that's really your name!!
:thumbsup:

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
:agreed:
THIS is the mistake Wood Son made, saying Lin would be starting PG before he was matched, and EVERY other "source" who said Knicks would match Houston's first offer sheet.

sorry to say, Papa Nickolas was traded for Felton, time to change your name...
unless that's really your name!!
:thumbsup:

nope, not named after papanikolau,
never even seen papanikolau play lol,

good thing we got Felton back, i just hope he is taking it easy on the bbqs and the burgers this summer. :crossfingers:

NewYorkInferno

Benchwarmer
I am torn on the lin thing.
1. We dont get lin but then we trade for CP3 at the deadline or a s&t next year
2. We get Lin back and he preforms well and is our future PG & CP3 was never going to be a knick
3. We get lin back and he is good but CP3 could of been a knick if we didnt take lin back
4. Same as #3 but Lin is no good
5. Lin goes to the Rockets and is great, we look dumb
6. Lin goes to the rockets and is no good, we look smart
7. Lin comes back and he isnt any good and Cp3 was never going to be a knick
8. Lin is average on the rockets and Kidd/felton are ok for us
Any other possibilities? I wish #1 happens but #8 is most likely.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Is it possible to match it then trade him to another team in exchange for more depth? That would be great, we would end up screwing over Houston and Lin for being a shady bitch and re upping the offer after we told him we would match the first one.

I've been checking in on the Rockets forum as well. This poster hit the nail on the situation.
I dont think so bro, at least not according to the New CBA, let me see how i can break it down because im no expert here either lol but

Look at the nets, Magic situation Lopez is a restricted free agent just like Lin, but because Lopez had not signed any other offer sheets he was eligible to be traded to the magic for Dwight Howard with limited time to get something done etc etc right? but now since the nets have signed Lopez to his extension of 61mill, he wont be eligible to be traded until January 15th. Which eliminated the Howard to Nets talk until further notice.

With the Lin situation it's a little more tricky Lin ALREADY signed the offer sheet with Houston making it a thing where either we Match Lin or the Rockets are awarded LIn.

It's to late to do any S&T's with Lin because of him signing the offer sheet already.

Thats my understanding of it.

But as far as us matching and trading Lin somewhere else after we match i don't think thats possible once again until January 15th, i may be wrong but i'm sure we cant just Match and simply trade him elsewhere yet.

The better route to take is to Match Lin. He has the poison pill of what 15 mill his 3rd year right? so why not just use that 3rd year 15 mill as an expiring trade chip if Lin isn't playing up to expectations, instead of us just swallowing the 15 mill up. The only issue is finding a trade partner, not many like helping the Knicks.

And if im wrong here anybody feel free to correct me, because i'm still trying to learn these new CBA rules as well.

Last edited:

Forrest17

Rotation player
God. Why couldn't we have done a sign and trade with houston and got Dragic at least. I would have been hyped even if we lost lin if we got Dragic. But weve got felton... UGH.. I just want to vomit

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
God. Why couldn't we have done a sign and trade with houston and got Dragic at least. I would have been hyped even if we lost lin if we got Dragic. But weve got felton... UGH.. I just want to vomit

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--r...my-lin.html;_ylt=AuAwvU4H0pwJoZgA77iag3a8vLYF

See that's where the Rockets and Lin screwed the Knicks. The original deal widely reported was 4 years 28.8 million. The money wasn't the major issue, it was the spread. Originally it was 5, 5.2, 9.3 and 9.3. But with wide rumors that the Knicks would easily match, the Rockets, Morey specifically went back to the drawing board, throwing the max they can give to Lin in that 3rd year. Then tossing out the original deal, presenting the contract to Lin and Lin signed it on Saturday. The Rockets waited until the 15th to reveal the newly restructured deal, rather than signing the originally agreed upon one on the 11th. During the period between Lin agreeing to sign on with the Rockets, and the actual signing, team's usually negotiate a possible sign and trade, that's where Dragic would possibly enter the picture, now because the reported deal of 4 28.8 was out there, the Knicks paid no attention to it, because it was an automatic match, now if the 3-25 was out there, there might have been time for the Knicks to request a sign and trade and quite possibly either get a Trade Exception or Dragic in return. So in essence, Lin and the Rockets screwed the Knicks.