Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

CoolClyde

mergerama

in my first act as modulating moderator, i have merged the LIN WILL BE RESIGNED thread with ALL THINGS LIN. please, KO posters, think about posting each and every thought to respective folders; believe you me, most KO posters read all new posts, so your pertinent thoughts will NOT go unnoticed, and discussions shall ensue.

bless you all.
:beer:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
0009.gif

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
in my first act as modulating moderator, i have merged the LIN WILL BE RESIGNED thread with ALL THINGS LIN. please, KO posters, think about posting each and every thought to respective folders; believe you me, most KO posters read all new posts, so your pertinent thoughts will NOT go unnoticed, and discussions shall ensue.

bless you all.
:beer:

I f'd my first merge in the A.
1234443297_ken_park_suicide.gif

tiger0330

Legend
Just read another article about keeping Lin, MSG, stores like Modells and other businesses that had Linsanity related merchandise would lose big if they let Lin go, $80 jerseys would be worth $20, $20 tshirt 5 bucks, no more Linsanity branded anything in NY.

Knicks want to let Lin go, no doubt otherwise they would not have signed Felton and it wouldn't be the first time a player wasn't matched because the of the luxury tax. And yes the new CBA makes that luxury tax even more punitive, where it seemingly makes not matching an easy decision for a player like Fields but Lin is special. When was the last time you heard of people signing petitions to keep a player and getting 10k signatures in a couple of days. Or making your stock price rise and fall by hundreds of millions of dollars with Linsanity. This kid is unique in the annals of Knicks history, how can you risk letting Lin go and bringing all that to Houston and not NY.

skisloper

Starter
I hope we resign him, my dream and hope was to build around a starting backcourt of Lin and Shumpert in 2015+

Right now we're the oldest team and by no means good enough to beat Miami.

We gotta think about the future, when the Melo, STAT, Wade, Lebron generation start to decline.

A Lin/Shumpert backcourt looks intriguing to me.

But what do I say, it's the Knicks and Dolan is the owner so they'll piss their future away like always for immediate success which won't come.

Or maybe they show common sense this time, but our recent moves don't suggest that. Kidd? Felton? Camby? Kurt Thomas? Really?

I used to love Thomas and especially Camby, but this ain't 99.
Felton is a fat mofo who makes Melo look diced to the bone.
Kidd could be Nash's grandpa and apparently still likes to visit police stations.....

Like I said a long time ago, worst managed team in sports.

The Knicks are the #1 or #2 most profitable NBA franchise......For the Knicks to be stubborn to let LIN go because they dont like what he and his agent did with Houston is just pure stupidity.....
IF we are simply n a 3 year plan to win the Championship just make the team the best you can....we are better with LIN then without.....Pay the money and go all in.......

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
Since the first rumored signing of Lin signing the offer sheet in Houston, MSG stock have lost 10%.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=msg

It's been down every day since that rumor.
10% of 3 billion (at the price of 39+ dollars per share) is about 300 million dollars.

Yes. That's 300 MILLION in lost market share. People have to understand this is a business after all. Money no longer comes out of Dolan's pocket but the shareholders of MSG.

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
The stock market? Really?! Is this is how low Lin fans have stooped? Making threads about the effect Lin's imminent departure will have on MSG stocks? To be completely honest I don't give two fuks about MSG stocks, whether Lin remains a part of the team, or whether any of his groupies remain Knicks fans after he has gone. This ex (and potentially future) D-Leaguer should not be monopolising what has already been a pretty successful off-season. Over the past two weeks, this team has added experience, talent. defensive depth, and has also re-signed players who were incredibly useful for us last season. Yet people can't see past this Lin saga. The fact is that you are all stressing over Lin more than he is. He couldn't care less whether he remains a Knick or not (evidently) so why do you lot? This thread is the eptome of desperation.

Relax.
Trust me. If MSG stocks goes to 0, they will have liquidity issues which means they will have trouble paying for all these luxury taxes that's been incurred. MSG stock is everything. Credit and financing is key to their business. Don't for 1 second think Dolan is running the NYK to become contenders. At the end of the day, the dude is doing this to MAKE money. I know it sounds crazy because we are fans and "winning" is everything....but seriously..it's just not the case for 'most' owners in professional sports. In New York City, we've been spoiled by owners like George steinbrenner who would do anything to bring a baseball championship to New York.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Excuse my ignorance but is it possible that they are waiting till the last minute so houston can't make another offer after they match? Or is that not how matching works? I'm still a bit unclear on it so if anyone can drop some knowledge it would be much appreciated.

Uncle Robo

Benchwarmer
Once an offer is matched, that's it, no more offers.

The only reasons that the Knicks have not yet matched are:

1) They want to make Houston wait so Houston cannot make any moves until then.
2) Scare Jeremy Lin so he never does this again.
3) They are still calculating all possible scenarios, pros and cons of matching.
4) They will not match.

Excuse my ignorance but is it possible that they are waiting till the last minute so houston can't make another offer after they match? Or is that not how matching works? I'm still a bit unclear on it so if anyone can drop some knowledge it would be much appreciated.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Ok, cool, thanks for the explanation.uncle robo. +1 rep. Follow up question: can we use our amnesty clause in the third year on lin?

Just trying to think of possible solutions or explanations on why they haven't matched.

Uncle Robo

Benchwarmer
No, the amnesty clause has already been used on Chauncey Billups to make room to bring in Tyson Chandler last year.

Ok, cool, thanks for the explanation.uncle robo. +1 rep. Follow up question: can we use our amnesty clause in the third year on lin?

Just trying to think of possible solutions or explanations on why they haven't matched.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Aah, I see. Well, I'm all out of ideas then, lol. Only thing we can do is try and trade him before the third year, i guess.

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
Stretch Provision: How the Knicks can avoid the poison pill

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07...n-avoid-poison-pill-3rd-year-of-lin-contract/

If the player?s salary payments are spread-out using the Stretch provision, the team may elect to stretch the salary cap charge to match2. For example, if two seasons remain on the player?s contract when he is waived, and the payment is spread-out over five years per the Stretch provision, then the team may elect to spread-out the salary cap hit over those same five years.

In other words, the Knicks will have the option after the 2013-2014 season to waive Jeremy Lin, take his third-year $15 million salary and spread it out with its cap hit over the following three seasons. In each of those three seasons, the Knicks would have $5 million of dead money on the cap. Doing that would all but eliminate the insane luxury tax payment the Knicks would have to endure in 2014-2015, which is supposedly stopping them from re-signing Lin.

Basically the Knicks would have the first 2 years to figure out if Lin is the real deal or just a flash in the pan. Then in year 3 they either waive him or keep him.

copied it from a fellow knicks fan, thought id share it here

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Aah, I see. Well, I'm all out of ideas then, lol. Only thing we can do is try and trade him before the third year, i guess.

You must have missed this:

The new CBA included a provision to make it much easier for teams to release players with bad contracts. It?s called the stretch provision. Here it is right out of Larry Coon?s invaluable CBA FAQ that can be found here: cbafaq.com.

Otherwise (if the contract or extension was signed under the current CBA), the remaining guaranteed salary is paid over twice the number of remaining years, plus one, per the Stretch provision:

If the player?s salary payments are spread-out using the Stretch provision, the team may elect to stretch the salary cap charge to match2. For example, if two seasons remain on the player?s contract when he is waived, and the payment is spread-out over five years per the Stretch provision, then the team may elect to spread-out the salary cap hit over those same five years.
In other words, the Knicks will have the option after the 2013-2014 season to waive Jeremy Lin, take his third-year $15 million salary and spread it out with its cap hit over the following three seasons. In each of those three seasons, the Knicks would have $5 million of dead money on the cap. Doing that would all but eliminate the insane luxury tax payment the Knicks would have to endure in 2014-2015, which is supposedly stopping them from re-signing Lin.

smh?I just don?t get some fans. Fans have been moaning and groaning about Dolan overspending on subpar talent for years because it put us in cap hell. They constantly bashed him and yap on about how they don?t want him making decisions and leave it to the GM.

Now that he?s wised up a bit?some of these same fans (flip floppers) not only want him to get involved, but to blatantly over spend on a guy that was waived twice and played a good 2 weeks of ball (not spectacular ball but good ball), and the guy had ****ing surgery on his knee, NO ONE here has yet to see how he?s rehab but they go off assuming he will be great even thou Linsanity died down before he was injured, I mean wtf is going on with people? Do you not see what Houston is doing?

The linsanity has really gotten into people minds; they are not using their brains due to a fun but now departed fad. Over the last couple of years we all have been talking about player?s skill sets and what they can bring to the team?.now we?re talking about how much money can be made off of Lin merchandise....IDGAF about that. People talk about JLin as if he's done this his whole NBA life but it was just a 2 week devine intervention, a miracle on 34th street, an anwered pray that took the fans on a high and saved the coach from the wolves.

I want to see the Knicks rip thru the East and hold up the Trophy in the end, what the hell do I care about sold out seats to fake ass fans. The Garden always sells out and we have a team worthy of it with out Lin.

Also, we are not going to be able to trade him either, who in their right minds will take an overpaid underachiever? If we keep him...his blotted contract will hurt the team and cause friction in the locker room. Why in the hell do Knick fans want to take that risk? You don?t pay a dude this much money and expect another PG to train him on how earn that money or be great?that?s the dumbest BS I?ve heard in a while, you either got it or you don?t and should be paid accordingly.

As of now our team is stacked with or without JLin, we?re slated to have a great year. Winning is the only thing that matters to me. I respect certain players and their game but I don?t follow any one particular player like some teenage groupie. I?m all about the home town team and to hell with all the pretenders, phonies and the clueless.

I actually feel a bit sorry for JLin, I like him but its obvious the fans and media is digging a hugh hole for the kid, I'm not so sure he'll be able to climb out of it. All of this hype is to no fault of his own... but the phony entities using JLin for one reason or another. How unfortunate