Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let him walk

16 28.57%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

27 48.21%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

13 23.21%
Page 78 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2848587273747576777879808182838498108128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2090

Thread: Jeremy Lin

Originally Posted by CoolClyde

THIS is the mistake Wood Son made, saying Lin would be starting PG before he was matched, and EVERY other "source" who said Knicks would match Houston's first offer sheet.

sorry to say, Papa Nickolas was traded for Felton, time to change your name...
    unless that's really your name!!
    nope, not named after papanikolau,
    never even seen papanikolau play lol,

good thing we got Felton back, i just hope he is taking it easy on the bbqs and the burgers this summer.

I am torn on the lin thing.
    1. We dont get lin but then we trade for CP3 at the deadline or a s&t next year
    2. We get Lin back and he preforms well and is our future PG & CP3 was never going to be a knick
    3. We get lin back and he is good but CP3 could of been a knick if we didnt take lin back
    4. Same as #3 but Lin is no good
    5. Lin goes to the Rockets and is great, we look dumb
    6. Lin goes to the rockets and is no good, we look smart
    7. Lin comes back and he isnt any good and Cp3 was never going to be a knick
    8. Lin is average on the rockets and Kidd/felton are ok for us
    Any other possibilities? I wish #1 happens but #8 is most likely.

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    Is it possible to match it then trade him to another team in exchange for more depth? That would be great, we would end up screwing over Houston and Lin for being a shady bitch and re upping the offer after we told him we would match the first one.

I've been checking in on the Rockets forum as well. This poster hit the nail on the situation.
    I dont think so bro, at least not according to the New CBA, let me see how i can break it down because im no expert here either lol but

Look at the nets, Magic situation Lopez is a restricted free agent just like Lin, but because Lopez had not signed any other offer sheets he was eligible to be traded to the magic for Dwight Howard with limited time to get something done etc etc right? but now since the nets have signed Lopez to his extension of 61mill, he wont be eligible to be traded until January 15th. Which eliminated the Howard to Nets talk until further notice.

With the Lin situation it's a little more tricky Lin ALREADY signed the offer sheet with Houston making it a thing where either we Match Lin or the Rockets are awarded LIn.

It's to late to do any S&T's with Lin because of him signing the offer sheet already.

Thats my understanding of it.

But as far as us matching and trading Lin somewhere else after we match i don't think thats possible once again until January 15th, i may be wrong but i'm sure we cant just Match and simply trade him elsewhere yet.

The better route to take is to Match Lin. He has the poison pill of what 15 mill his 3rd year right? so why not just use that 3rd year 15 mill as an expiring trade chip if Lin isn't playing up to expectations, instead of us just swallowing the 15 mill up. The only issue is finding a trade partner, not many like helping the Knicks.

And if im wrong here anybody feel free to correct me, because i'm still trying to learn these new CBA rules as well.
    Last edited by NYk_Reloaded718; Jul 16, 2012 at 13:21.

Superstar

God. Why couldn't we have done a sign and trade with houston and got Dragic at least. I would have been hyped even if we lost lin if we got Dragic. But weve got felton... UGH.. I just want to vomit

Originally Posted by Forrest17
    God. Why couldn't we have done a sign and trade with houston and got Dragic at least. I would have been hyped even if we lost lin if we got Dragic. But weve got felton... UGH.. I just want to vomit
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

See that's where the Rockets and Lin screwed the Knicks. The original deal widely reported was 4 years 28.8 million. The money wasn't the major issue, it was the spread. Originally it was 5, 5.2, 9.3 and 9.3. But with wide rumors that the Knicks would easily match, the Rockets, Morey specifically went back to the drawing board, throwing the max they can give to Lin in that 3rd year. Then tossing out the original deal, presenting the contract to Lin and Lin signed it on Saturday. The Rockets waited until the 15th to reveal the newly restructured deal, rather than signing the originally agreed upon one on the 11th. During the period between Lin agreeing to sign on with the Rockets, and the actual signing, team's usually negotiate a possible sign and trade, that's where Dragic would possibly enter the picture, now because the reported deal of 4 28.8 was out there, the Knicks paid no attention to it, because it was an automatic match, now if the 3-25 was out there, there might have been time for the Knicks to request a sign and trade and quite possibly either get a Trade Exception or Dragic in return. So in essence, Lin and the Rockets screwed the Knicks.

I think his biggest mistake was signing that 2nd offer sheet. I feel that the Knicks may have matched the first offer sheet.

Nate Silver does a good job explaining why it makes good financial sense to match Lin's contract.

After referring to various performance stats, he concludes:

the upside is just too much to pass up. If Lin does perform like a top-10 point guard, he’ll be worth his salary based on his on-court contributions alone.Even if Lin is a merely good player, the marketing boost he provides should more than justify the expense. Lin is already a superstar based on his jersey sales, and the level of fan interest that he generates. The number of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for Lin’s name over the past six months exceeds that of LeBron James — and is about four times as many as those for Anthony, Stoudemire and Chandler combined.

This is a case, moreover, where it makes sense for the Knicks to pursue a high-risk strategy. As presently constructed — without Lin on the roster — they appear to be about a 50-win team. That would usually correlate with a fifth or sixth seed in the Eastern Conference, and an exit within the first two rounds of the playoffs. The N.B.A., unlike the N.H.L. or Major League Baseball, is a league in which skill tends to prevail. Merely being good, and then hoping to get lucky in the postseason, just does not work very often.

And the Knicks would have to share the spotlight. Their new crosstown neighbors, the Brooklyn Nets, also look to have about a 50-win roster — but the Nets are a younger team with fresher branding that might start to steal their headlines and ticket sales.

If Lin is a flop, and the Knicks win 45 games a year with him as their point guard, it wouldn’t make much difference. They’d still probably make the playoffs, and still probably lose in the first round. They’d still have to compete with the Nets both on the court and off it.

But if Lin plays even 80 percent as well as he did in February, the Knicks could have a 55- or even 60-win roster. Winning a championship would still be a feat, with dominant teams like the Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder in the league. But the Knicks would be on track to be a No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference.
    They would also host many home playoff games and would have a puncher’s chance of bringing home their first N.B.A. title since 1973. The Nets might not be an afterthought like they were in New Jersey, but the Knicks would still be the toast of the town.

If the definition of insanity is trying the same process over and over and hoping for better results, Dolan’s strategy of locking in 30-something veterans to max contracts every year has been a little mad.
    Linsanity was something different. As of late Monday morning, on the mere possibility that Lin might not be re-signed, MSG stock had lost about $50 million in market value — roughly as much as the salary and luxury tax that the Knicks would need to keep the dream alive for the next three years.
    It might not work out, but the Knicks would be crazy not to try their luck.

From Nate Silver's blog today:

As of late Monday morning, on the mere possibility that Lin might not be re-signed, MSG stock had lost about $50 million in market value — roughly as much as the salary and luxury tax that the Knicks would need to keep the dream alive for the next three years.

Originally Posted by wynton
    Nate Silver does a good job explaining why it makes good financial sense to match Lin's contract.

After referring to various performance stats, he concludes:
    Interesting viewpoint, financially speaking it's a sound move to keep him around, but chemistry wise is it? Does Lin take it easy knowing he has a guaranteed deal? The kid worked so hard between years 1 and 2 to improve himself physically. Will that continue, I have no reason to doubt that, the kid's a gym rat since his high school days. I think having Kidd around addresses the chemistry issue between Lin and Melo. Kidd was great in working with the 2008 Olympic team, setting the tone as an unselfish hard working team.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    I dont think so bro, at least not according to the New CBA, let me see how i can break it down because im no expert here either lol but

Look at the nets, Magic situation Lopez is a restricted free agent just like Lin, but because Lopez had not signed any other offer sheets he was eligible to be traded to the magic for Dwight Howard with limited time to get something done etc etc right? but now since the nets have signed Lopez to his extension of 61mill, he wont be eligible to be traded until January 15th. Which eliminated the Howard to Nets talk until further notice.

With the Lin situation it's a little more tricky Lin ALREADY signed the offer sheet with Houston making it a thing where either we Match Lin or the Rockets are awarded LIn.

It's to late to do any S&T's with Lin because of him signing the offer sheet already.

Thats my understanding of it.

But as far as us matching and trading Lin somewhere else after we match i don't think thats possible once again until January 15th, i may be wrong but i'm sure we cant just Match and simply trade him elsewhere yet.

The better route to take is to Match Lin. He has the poison pill of what 15 mill his 3rd year right? so why not just use that 3rd year 15 mill as an expiring trade chip if Lin isn't playing up to expectations, instead of us just swallowing the 15 mill up. The only issue is finding a trade partner, not many like helping the Knicks.

And if im wrong here anybody feel free to correct me, because i'm still trying to learn these new CBA rules as well.

because if u trade him in his after his 2nd year u will still have to take back the same in salary from another team so the tax would still stay...
    someone correct me if I am wrong............

U could trade him after the first year and be ok....

Originally Posted by Uncle Robo
    Yes, but if Knicks end up signing Lin, then you will have a short squeeze rally as shorts scramble to cover.

All the news articles are quoting the same unnamed source endless times. There are better stocks to speculate than MSG, I don't see a great risk/reward here.
    Agreed, the Stock has lost about 50 cents since the opening, which is the first day of trading since the Lin signing. To early to speculate, Wednesday is drop dead day, but if you bought the stock back in October 2010, you may want to take the conservative route and cash out your earnings.

Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    This sucks. People are still saying he’s worth it but barely know anything about the guy. Has anybody even seen this guy play since he was injured?
    Big ass contract is only going to cause dissention within the locker room because guys have been around longer and played more consistently…but are not making as much for their skill contributions.
    Dolan doesn’t need the money. The Knicks will make plenty money regardless of Lin….they always have. If we keep him and he ends up a bust the signing will be another example of Knicks spending big on underachievers….I’m sure this is on the minds of Dolan and the management.
    Like I said eailier when all this was first reported…let Houston have him so they can be the laughing stock of the NBA for the next 3 years. He’s no franchise, as I recall…everyone was saying Kidd’s tutelage will make him better, But, IMO… a player at this pay rate is suppose to be primed not trained. This has to be a Joke. What the hell is on his mind and his supporters? lol, Ridiculous.
    “Houston, we have a problin!!” lol
    fixed it, grasshopper.

Originally Posted by skisloper
    because if u trade him in his after his 2nd year u will still have to take back the same in salary from another team so the tax would still stay...
    someone correct me if I am wrong............

U could trade him after the first year and be ok....
    Not if the team you are trading him to is under the cap.

So if they are 5 million under the cap, you would have to take back 10 million..if they are 10 million under the cap, 5 million, etc...15 million you can give him up for picks.

There's definitely something going on and I don't think it's related to basketball or finance. Dolan has been known to put personal issues in front of business decisions before.

From the financial numbers already mentioned it makes sense to keep Lin. That luxury tax is chump change. Lin jerseys, T-shirts, and other merchandise will sell like hotcakes no matter where he goes. The Luxury tax would matter if we were a small market team (Hornets, Bobcats, etc.) and we were losing $$$. But we're one of the richest franchises in sports. We make money even when we suck! So why worry about luxury tax?

And we can trade Lin even before we hit that 3rd year even if he turns out to be a mediocre NBA player. Regardless of how much you believe race is a factor, Lin is a money making machine. Any number of small market teams, (Hornets, Bobcats, Timberwolves, Raptors) would love to have him. Most of those franchises are losing attendance right now and Lin would be a great play for them.

So it's not a financial issue. Even from a team standpoint, we have Felton and Kidd. If Lin turns out to be a one hit wonder, fine, bench him. Then trade him before that "ridiculous" 3rd year. I don't think his games with us were a fluke but even if they were we still have an out. Someone will take him.

So, the numbers don't lie. It's not even a bad decision in terms of team play. We fought so hard to get Bird Rights for him. Why let him go?

Default Really though can we put a hit out on James Dolan

Not an overraction to the whole Lin situation(in fact I don't care about that at all) but damn that fool is a goddamn idiot, he isn't going to sell EVER and he's going to continue to run the franchise into the ground, unless we get a GM that kicks Dolan out of the FO like the Rangers GM did then were not going anywhere. I see one of three options: Either we put a hit out on him, we kidnap him or we lobotomize him or something.....