Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Mark my words, you guys are going to be eating crow this season when you see how LIN gets exposed down there in Houston. Those athletic, uber-quick, Western Conference guards are going to take great pleasure in tormenting LIN. When he drives the lane with his right, gets stopped, and tries to turn back around, he will lose his rock every time. Basketball is a competitive sport and LIN is not a competitor as evidenced by him skipping the playoffs. $$$$$ are more important to Jeremy. But the contract will bring attention. Lin ain't sneaking up on anyone anymore. Guards with more talent and less $$$$$ are going to punish him for that contract. And talk cash to Jeremy while doing it. Wait and see. It will be worth a good laugh:)

Personally, I didn't buy into the whole Lin hype even during Linsanity. I thought he was overrated. It would be sweet to see Lin fizzle down in Houston. That is the only event that will justify the front office's decision to let him walk. But you can't deny the trade value that we would have had if we still had Lin.

p0nder

Starter
I think it was a poor business decision to not keep Lin but from a basketball standpoint I can see the reasoning. Lin is a distraction off the court. So often was the case last year that the media would go to melo or stat and say that Lin was making them irrelevant. With that contract he would be making much more then J.R. and Kidd and Felton, all vets who are better players then Lin, So I can see the thought process, especially after the rockets changed the contract after the knicks let it be known they would match. I'm sure they understand that Lin was going for his payday (and it might be his last chance to do so), so i don't think they hold it against him I just think that they did a good job hedging their bets and getting felton back into the fold.

Lin will be better served in Houston, where the Yao Ming fans will be happy to buy his Linsanity merch.

STAT1

Starter
Mark my words, you guys are going to be eating crow this season when you see how LIN gets exposed down there in Houston. Those athletic, uber-quick, Western Conference guards are going to take great pleasure in tormenting LIN. When he drives the lane with his right, gets stopped, and tries to turn back around, he will lose his rock every time. Basketball is a competitive sport and LIN is not a competitor as evidenced by him skipping the playoffs. $$$$$ are more important to Jeremy. But the contract will bring attention. Lin ain't sneaking up on anyone anymore. Guards with more talent and less $$$$$ are going to punish him for that contract. And talk cash to Jeremy while doing it. Wait and see. It will be worth a good laugh:)

I too am disappointed by him not playing last year in the playoffs, we really needed him. Regardless of the fact that we likely would have lost that series anyway, it would have made the games much more interesting to watch. The Knicks fans deserve to have some excitement back after all the years of torture & disappointment we've had to endure. I wish Lin would have thought more about competition than about risking his market value in upcoming free agency, but as we've all come to know, this is a business & I can't blame the guy for thinking about his family first.

To your other point, I think Lin will put up very good #s in Houston actually, since he'll be their #1 offensive scoring option & he will have free reign to run his isolations & put up points at will, whereas in NY with so many other mouths to feed, he would have had to figure out how to get everyone else buckets & keep all the other guys happy. I thought he sorta struggled with that once Melo & STAT came back & D'Antoni was no longer our coach & he had to run a more structured system under Mike Woodson. Regardless, the Rockets will be a crappy team & the Knicks will go on without him just fine IMO. The bandwagon fans will jump ship, no big loss.

The Brass is now acting responsible for a change, good for them. I'm sure in time the deluded will see for themselves the tragedy we just avoided. Houston has really played themselves this time, lol. It's going to be a long season for that franchise, believe that.

OK kiddies, the Linderella tale is officially over, we now can move on while being grateful that we ACTAULLY have a decent playoffs team to root for. For all casual fans/stragglers who seem to be lost (due to being spellbound)?The band wagon was recently reinforced with 18 brand new steel belted tires, and its now heading to Houston, .....soon to be ?gone with the Lin?. *Playing sad music* frankly my dear?.I don?t give a damn.

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
I tried to tell you guys....um um um(with a headshake).... 25 games and skipping the playoffs does not equal 25 million dollars. Period. Get over it people.

Huh? Of course it does. Lin brings about a minimum of 1 Million additional fans in the US, and probably at least 5 Million in Asia. That's a HUGE marketting revenue stream that the Knicks just pissed away for nothing in exchange.

And that 25 Million, who's money is it? It's not your team's, because the Knicks are already capped out. It's a free expense, cap-wise. It just costs Jim Dolan, but then again it doesn't really. Lin can be traded in year 3. Doesn't really matter if he's a star baller, because the fans will still watch and buy Lin gear because he stands out.

Oh, and he didn't choose sit out the playoffs, he was told to.

tiger0330

Legend
Basketball is a competitive sport and LIN is not a competitor as evidenced by him skipping the playoffs. $$$$$ are more important to Jeremy. But the contract will bring attention. Lin ain't sneaking up on anyone anymore. Guards with more talent and less $$$$$ are going to punish him for that contract. And talk cash to Jeremy while doing it. Wait and see. It will be worth a good laugh:)
Not sure why you have a hard on for the kid. Every Knick fan should kiss his feet after that 2-11 streak culminating in Tyson saying "I didn't come to NY to lose".

Lin saved the season and that's not a quote from me but from Jared Jeffries.

I also disagree about Lin's competitiveness, time and time again he proved he was fearless taking punishment driving into the lane. And he always stated he would be ready for the second round of the playoffs, we just didn't make it that far.

I never heard any player besides JR criticize what any player was getting paid, they're usually happy to see a player overpaid because they want to be overpaid themselves.

CoolClyde

if Lin has a good year and makes the all-star team, would you kindly leave the forum?
please stop the Lin-bashing already.

everyone said he wouldn't play in the first round of playoffs, so why are you harping on him not playing?

Hayato

Benchwarmer
im not concerned about feltons weight too much. i really think he's excited and motivated to be back and im sure woodson will get on him for it anyway like he did to melo

Hayato

Benchwarmer
I tried to tell you guys....um um um(with a headshake).... 25 games and skipping the playoffs does not equal 25 million dollars. Period. Get over it people. I am a STL Cards fan and just got over losing Albert Puljols to the Angels for 250 million. And that was after a world series win. You can whine and cry all you want over this but J Lin and his agent are at fault for this. Once the Rockets changed the offer and included the "poison pill," the Knicks couldn't match it. Lin would have cost 43 million in year three when you included the luxury tax. No amount of t-shirts and fatheads covers that. Posters posing as KNICK fans who were really Lin fans, kindly show yourselves off KO.COM

jersey/shirt sales dont go to the team. theyre a player/owner split. and dolan could cover 43 mil. i wouldnt mind seeing lin the first 2 years then if he busts, use the stretch provision and waive him before year 3. that way he leaves and instead of paying 15 mil, we pay 5 mil for 3 years

just playing devils advocate

STAT1

Starter
jersey/shirt sales dont go to the team. theyre a player/owner split. and dolan could cover 43 mil. i wouldnt mind seeing lin the first 2 years then if he busts, use the stretch provision and waive him before year 3. that way he leaves and instead of paying 15 mil, we pay 5 mil for 3 years

just playing devils advocate

Lin's value to the team goes way beyond jersey & tshirt sales. The amount of media hype & attention that Linsanity generated is priceless. It is what made Cablevision's stock prices to spike, it is what drove Time Warner to finally cave in & buy the MSG channel back into their lineup, it is what drove Billions of Asian fans overseas to start following the Knicks, & it is what made going to games at MSG must see television for even non-basketball fans. The decision not to match Lin's contract was made not because of the money, it was made because of how Lin handled the negotiations with the Rockets & how it made Dolan feel. That's basically all there is to it. Lin is no longer a Rocket because he backchannelled the Knicks & because of Dolan's fat ego.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think it was a poor business decision to not keep Lin but from a basketball standpoint I can see the reasoning. Lin is a distraction off the court. So often was the case last year that the media would go to melo or stat and say that Lin was making them irrelevant. With that contract he would be making much more then J.R. and Kidd and Felton, all vets who are better players then Lin, So I can see the thought process, especially after the rockets changed the contract after the knicks let it be known they would match. I'm sure they understand that Lin was going for his payday (and it might be his last chance to do so), so i don't think they hold it against him I just think that they did a good job hedging their bets and getting felton back into the fold.

Lin will be better served in Houston, where the Yao Ming fans will be happy to buy his Linsanity merch.

JR, Kidd, and Felton are not better players than Lin. Felton is worse than Lin at every aspect of the game including defense, Kidd is old and cannot even play a full season, and JR is a ball-stopping moron who is terrible for team chemistry and an extremely streaky shooter.

I would have given up all three of those players to keep Jeremy Lin on this roster...****ing idiot Dolan of course thinks that Raymond Felton, a D'Antoni system PG, can somehow run this show.

And the amount of racism on that thread of comments on Lin's FB is absolutely disgusting...it's sad that people still say things like that.

Last edited:

TruOrngnBlu

Benchwarmer
well, now that Lin is gone and there's nothing we can do about it, it's time to move on and hope the Knicks kick ass next season.

I'm pissed at Dolan for all the money he's spent on horrible trades (Jerome James, Eddy Curry), refurbishing MSG to the tune of $250M, $11.09 on Anucha Browne Sanders, and getting the Knicks back to salary cap hell where we can't take a chance on the future of the team.

However, at the same time, I'm pissed at Lin and especially his agent for going back to Houston to make a bigger poison pill for the Knicks to swallow, which leads me to believe it was a selfish move by him and his agent, and definitely not a pro-Knicks move, and HAD to be seen as a f*ck you to Dolan.

all this being said, I hope Lin and his agent get stabbed in the back in Houston, like he stabbed the Knicks in the back, I hope Houston sucks ass this year, and I hope the entire NBA puts Lin in their crosshairs to cause him to be a frustrated D-League player.

Sorry to say that, but now that Lin is no longer a Knickerbocker, I hate his guts, and I want the Knicks to win a championship without him. Lin and agent can choke on a Houston d*ck.

:thumbsup: For this Cat!!

Feel the same way my dude!! If you're with us I love you. Against us...

F the FO !!!!! :gony:!!!

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/18/jeremy-lin-exclusive/index.html

"Honestly, I preferred New York," Lin says. "But my main goal in free agency was to go to a team that had plans for me and wanted me. I wanted to have fun playing basketball. ... Now I'm definitely relieved."

"Woodson was saying, 'You're going to be a starter, you're going to be a big part of the team,'" Lin says. "I came away really excited."

By this point, Lin had no real idea what the Knicks would do. But there also wasn't much choice: there was all of one offer sheet in front of him to consider.

At least, while surfing the Internet last Sunday, Lin read that Felton was reportedly en route to the Knicks from Portland via a sign-and-trade. Earlier this month, New York had already signed Kidd; now, Lin saw the writing on the wall, along with everybody else. "Felton's signing was the first time when I thought, 'Oh, wow, I might not be a Knick,'" Lin says. The next time he heard from an executive in the organization, it was to tell him the Knicks were letting him go.

"Every single vet on our team that has been in the league longer than five years pulled me aside and told me that I shouldn't play," Lin says. "And I had arguments with them about why I should."

Dolan -- who didn't talk to Lin often but had generally been "really nice to me" --wound up expressing support. "I have plans for you in the future," Lin recalls the owner saying. "This is a long-term investment. Don't rush back."

"People think it was easy for me to sit there and watch us lose, like I had nothing to do with the season," Lin says. "I was dying to play. I didn't miss a game due to injury in seven years until this past season, and people are acting like I wouldn't want to play in the playoffs? Of the NBA? In my first season?"

The notion that Lin has always cared about money above all else, in particular, eats away at him, especially as he sleeps in his childhood home.

"If I really wanted to, I could have triple-digit endorsements," Lin points out, but he does not. Instead, and in large part because Lin wanted to concentrate on basketball, he declined to cash in on the Linsanity gold-rush -- namely, the mountain of business opportunities in Asia -- and picked only three companies: Volvo, Steiner Sports, and Nike.

"I love the New York fans to death," Lin says. "That's the biggest reason why I wanted to return to New York. The way they embraced me, the way they supported us this past season, was better than anything I've ever seen or experienced. I'll go to my grave saying that. What New York did for me was unbelievable. I wanted to play in front of those fans for the rest of my career."

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
I told you. He handed the keys to the franchise to Melo. He was against bringing back Lin -- hence the public statement -- because Lin might take away some of the limelight. Therefore Lin will not come back. It's as easy as that: Birds of a feather flock together and Dolan, Smith and Melo do not understand basketball IQ. Therefore Lin and Fields are gone. A very sad day indeed.

Do you have anything substantial that would lead you to form that opinion?

Why would Melo be against Lin? He was the one who gave him the starting job.

As for Dolan, he is a ****ing idiot. As long as he is the owner, NYK will not sniff rings.

jimkcchief88

All Star
if Lin has a good year and makes the all-star team, would you kindly leave the forum?
please stop the Lin-bashing already.

everyone said he wouldn't play in the first round of playoffs, so why are you harping on him not playing?

Noooo, the All-Star team is a popularity contest so if Jeremy stays healthy he will make the All-Star team so every person of Asian decent(PC enough???) with a TV in the civilized world will tune in. David Stern is a marketing wizard and is not stupid. But if Jeremy leads the Rockets to the playoffs, I will more and gladly leave KO.COM. I know that would make you and Crazy'8 happy because neither of you respect opionions that differ from your own.

And I am harping on Jeremy for skipping the PLAYOFFS because he was needed. This is the KNICKS people. What is the iconic shot for our franchise??? Willis Reed coming out of the tunnel limping because of a broken leg to play for our squad in a championship series. Jeremy had a slight knee tweak. He should have been availible for the playoffs. If Lin was as serious about competition and KNICKS pride as he is about $$$$ he would have played in that series against MIAMI. It was the dreaded HEAT. National stage. His chance to prove in front of a national audience he was not a fluke. The chance to play against the best. Help lead our boys to victory. Shump went down and we needed Linsanity. WILD HORSES shouldn't have been able to keep LINSANITY off the court. But he choose to sit on the BENCH and wait for a contract. Then tried to hold the KNICKS hostage by signing to offer sheets with the Rockets. You know those guys we lost to in 94'. I have no more use for Jeremy Lin. Happy trails(like I tried to tell yall would happen):)

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
Do you have anything substantial that would lead you to form that opinion?

Why would Melo be against Lin? He was the one who gave him the starting job.

As for Dolan, he is a ****ing idiot. As long as he is the owner, NYK will not sniff rings.

I agree with the guy, I think Melo resents Lin and he wasn't exactly going to push for his return. It would be even worse though to publicly state that so Melo just kept quiet more or less through all this, except when he couldn't help himself and called the Rockets offer ridiculous

This is a disaster. No two ways about it. This is absolutely the worst thing the Knicks have done player wise since trading Clyde to Cleveland for Butch Beard. I'm still shocked Dolan had the nuts to do this. I'm a Knick fan for life, but if these moves dont jettison us to the conference finals I'm done. Lin could not play another NBA game and I'd still be done.

Moves like this make the organization look stupid. The kid is 23 and should have been a Knick for life.