• Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Lin

In a post on a thread prior to Lin's breakout games I suggested something like -- If we think Lin will be an upgrade we're dreaming. Shows you what I know.

My opinion, however, was based on an assumption that one can not expect much from a guy who has been cut from two other marginal teams. I am continually amazed at how clueless NBA talent evaluators seem to be.

What is exciting about Lin is that his two great games were not exceptional, and possibly black swan rare, displays of shooting prowess but, rather, truly skilled all around point guard play. He gets to the rim.

Derrick Rose is exceptional in getting to the rim. Tony Parker has always amazed me. I do not know how he continually weaves his way through big men and gets his shot off. Ty Lawson relies on speed to beat people to the rim. John Wall also gets there with speed. Lin is quick, but does not have their speed. Lin appears to be Parker like, though apparently he has more difficulty going left than going right. Shumpert and Douglas always seem to run into road blocks when attempting to penetrate.

Lin dominates the ball as good point guards should be doing. He will create openings for others. It will be interesting to see how his game proceeds in the two week period without Melo and how it proceeds when Melo gets back.

portega1968

El Cacique
How long before he gets endorsement deals?

I'm ready for some Lin kicks!!!

Will he go Adidas, Nike, Converse or maybe some starburys? LOL

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
knicks24-12.jpg

tiger0330

Legend
ITS really hard to beleive that NO NBA team gave this guy a real shot.....Hate to see it and say it but one thing its a bit racist......
I don't think it was any bias, I think he has flaws that just make you wonder if he can sustain this run he's on. He favors going right, he has this odd jump shot he shoots from the side of his head and he's not a good jump shooter and he can be turnover prone. So do you have a one trick pony that is fools gold once teams figure out how to take away his go to move of slashing to the basket. Time will tell but I like how he defends and his energy and hustle and I do enjoy watching him play.

iSaYughh

Starter
Definite bias.

Scouting is still based in some degree on emotion and unquantifiable, archaic notions of "what your *eyes* tell you", and what you "see", and "feel".

It was rampant in baseball, though obviously got better once baseball scouting and baseball performance became so quantifiable (Moneyball philosophy being the pinnacle of this, at least regarding public awareness).

But the same inefficiencies and biases that infected MLB scouting effect the NBA. And the NFL,

see: players and scouts talking opening about white receivers, a la Packer WR Jordy Nelson, being underestimated and under scouted.

This isn't an issue of racism, either, or bigotry. Even if the bias is rooted in race or ethnicity. It's real root is in the battle between emotion and archaic thinking and modern day statistics and the quantifiable ways you can discern performance and success in sports through "science".

skisloper

Starter
Definite bias.

Scouting is still based in some degree on emotion and unquantifiable, archaic notions of "what your *eyes* tell you", and what you "see", and "feel".

It was rampant in baseball, though obviously got better once baseball scouting and baseball performance became so quantifiable (Moneyball philosophy being the pinnacle of this, at least regarding public awareness).

But the same inefficiencies and biases that infected MLB scouting effect the NBA. And the NFL,

see: players and scouts talking opening about white receivers, a la Packer WR Jordy Nelson, being underestimated and under scouted.

This isn't an issue of racism, either, or bigotry. Even if the bias is rooted in race or ethnicity. It's real root is in the battle between emotion and archaic thinking and modern day statistics and the quantifiable ways you can discern performance and success in sports through "science".

Too smart for this board

pakopako

Benchwarmer
I reviewed Lin's last two games. Lin is exactly what we need a PG. Only if he can hit 3's he would be perfect.
Heh. That sounds like a very young Tony Parker. Remember when he was on the Spurs (when they still had Admiral Robinson) and he couldn't hit anything beyond the arc?

portega1968

El Cacique
Article on Lin when he visited the Garden last year with GSW:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/21566/jeremy-lins-three-meaningful-minutes

Jeremy Lin's three meaningful minutes
November, 11, 2010
By Matt Wong
ESPN.com

I won't lie. The main reason I went to the Garden Wednesday night wasn't to check out my beloved Knicks, or welcome back one of my all-time faves, David Lee. It was to see the Warriors' Jeremy Lin in action.

And I wasn’t alone. At the 9:26 mark in the second quarter, Lin checked into the game to loud applause, presumably from the many Asian-Americans in attendance.

And in the second half, I know I wasn’t the only one who would have been just fine if the Knicks, down 17 with 3:15 left in the third, mailed it in to ensure some garbage-time minutes for Lin.

But, alas, the Knicks made it a game, only to lose anyway, and Lin rode the pine the rest of the night.

Still, it was a night to remember.

Asked about the ovation he received from the crowd, he responded as humbly as one possibly could:

“Thank you. That’s all I have to say, ‘Thank you to everyone who’s cheering for me.’”

Let’s get this straight: This isn’t like watching Yao or Yi -- two giants who were imported from China. Asian-Americans can more easily relate to the path Lin had to take to get to the NBA. When watching him on the layup lines, I couldn’t help but get the feeling that I knew him, that I must’ve played ball with him before … or that, wait a minute … he was me -- the first Asian-American to make the NBA (with all apologies to Wat Misaka)!

This was a whole new basketball experience. One that I can only hope is here to stay.

In the meantime, Lin is taking every opportunity to keep learning the NBA game and figuring out how to transition from playing the 2 in college to handling the 1 in the pros -- two of his hardest adjustments so far, he says.

“There’s a lot of learning on my end to be done. Controlling tempo, which play calls to make, when to attack ...

“It’s just the very beginning and I understand that.”

Still, despite playing only three minutes on this night, his impact on the game was deeper than he might realize: He has captured the imagination of many Asian-American fans around the country. Including mine.

And all I have to say to that is: Thank you, Jeremy Lin.

Oh the marketing departments in the NBA and Knicks offices have to be salivating and rooting for this guy to pick up the Asian fan base after Yao's retirement!!!

Of course, I'm enjoying every second of this underdog story!!!

Red

TYPE-A
The kid is tough. Took a shot on the chin and got right up, took a charge right out onto the floor.

He's got court savvy too; dropped 8 dimes before the half. Knows where to get players the ball and hustles. How a pg like Shump, TD or any other doesn't know the art of passing is beyond me.

Anyway, D'antoni fans, you got your PG. We got defense to go along, and a bench in the works. What do we need now?

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
Anyway, D'antoni fans, you got your PG. We got defense to go along, and a bench in the works. What do we need now?

Amare and Melo in the starting line-up ASAP, and the remainder of the regular season to coalesce a a team, and ramp up for a playoff push.

Lin-Shumpert-Bibby
Fields-Shumpert-Douglas
Melo-Fields-Walker-Balkman
Amare-Harrelson-Novak-Jeffries
Chandler-Harrelson-Jeffries-Novak

Moving forward, with vet mins, the 2.5 exception, and our full MLE in the off-season:

An eventual upgrade of Jeffries -- a la a Kenyon Martin type -- to round out our bench of bigs including Harrelson and Novak.

A pure SG with sniper 3pt range -- a la a JR Smith.

edit -- if Lin isn't there to run a championship team right now, at his young age, go balls to the wall for Steve Nash for the MLE, and have Lin be groomed under him for a couple years as a bigtime backup PG, still getting quality minutes each night, and letting Nash rest to stay primed for the playoffs...kind of like what the Spurs have done with Duncan of late, as they assembled quality young frontcourt players to take away minutes.

Red

TYPE-A
Amare and Melo in the starting line-up ASAP, and the remainder of the regular season to coalesce a a team, and ramp up for a playoff push.

Lin-Shumpert-Bibby
Fields-Shumpert-Douglas
Melo-Fields-Walker-Balkman
Amare-Harrelson-Novak-Jeffries
Chandler-Harrelson-Jeffries-Novak

Moving forward, with vet mins, the 2.5 exception, and our full MLE in the off-season:

An eventual upgrade of Jeffries -- a la a Kenyon Martin type -- to round out our bench of bigs including Harrelson and Novak.

A pure SG with sniper 3pt range -- a la a JR Smith.

edit -- if Lin isn't there to run a championship team right now, at his young age, go balls to the wall for Steve Nash for the MLE, and have Lin be groomed under him for a couple years as a bigtime backup PG, still getting quality minutes each night, and letting Nash rest to stay primed for the playoffs...kind of like what the Spurs have done with Duncan of late, as they assembled quality young frontcourt players to take away minutes.

No to Nash. Sorry.

As to adding our stars and Jorts etc... Playing like this, inside out with defense, where should the expectations be? One and done?

iSaYughh

Starter
No to Nash. Sorry.

As to adding our stars and Jorts etc... Playing like this, inside out with defense, where should the expectations be? One and done?

Depends who we play?

If Lin isn't completely fluking it right now and we stay reasonably healthy?

With MDA as coach -- note, I have *higher* expectations for the team because of MDA being our coach, which I likewise hold the success/fail of our season to -- we should fight tooth and nail vs the best in the NBA if we must face them,

And should handle the weaker and middle class of the playoff hierarchy.

I don't think we "should" necessarily be "expected" to beat MIA or OKC or Chicago this year, but we should play them about as competitively and tough as we did the Celtics last year (prior to injuries rendering things a joke).

Personally, I've already been loading up on future bets on the Knicks when it became obvious Dolan wasn't going to just shitcan MDA this season.