Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let him walk

16 28.57%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

27 48.21%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

13 23.21%
Page 87 of 140 FirstFirst ... 37576781828384858687888990919293107117137 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 2090

Thread: Jeremy Lin

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    This post is brilliant. The new CBA was supposedly designed to make it so that dead weight players like Eddy Curry didn't completely kill teams' chances to keep themselves competitive, and that's an excellent provision. Is there are a limit to the number of times the Knicks can use that stretch provision? If they use it on Jeremy Lin in Year 3 of his contract all they gotta do is make sure they're 5 million under the cap in Year 4 and then they don't pay any luxury tax for his contract that year at all so it's not that big a deal.

They can trade him, they can use this provision, or they can trade somebody else. Brilliant...only a complete idiot would refuse to match at this point.

wait so if we waive him before year 3, we pay lin 4.9 mil each year for the next 3 years for not playing with us?

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Howard Smith/US Presswire
    Lin's worth even more to the Knicks off the court than he is on.
    Sure, the prospect of paying a fortune in additional luxury tax has to make the Knicks stop and think. But Lin is a moneymaking machine. Lin puts people in seats, both at home and on the road, and he is a merchandising bonanza. The stock of Knicks parent company MSG is up 20 percent since Linsanity began, with Nate Silver of the New York Times reporting that MSG's market capitalization has gained $600 million since that fateful day last February when Lin took over as the Knicks' starting point guard.

So what happens to MSG if the Knicks fail to retain Lin? Silver continued, saying, "as of late Monday morning, on the mere possibility that Lin might not be re-signed, MSG stock had lost about $50 million in market value." This was on a rumor -- imagine what the company's losses will be if losing Lin becomes a reality.
    Some mis-information here. Lin doesn't really affect seats at home because the Garden is full with or without him. The crowd he attracts on the road attribute to that particular teams revenue. Also, while Linsanity did affect MSG's market cap, there are so many other factors that go into the value of a stock from a company with as much subsidiaries as MSG.

If the Knicks win, it benefits MSG's business no matter who the pg is.

Lastly, for those who think Lin makes the franchise money off jersey sales, you're wrong. Those revenues are considered league wide and are part of the player/owner split. The biggest thing Lin did for MSG in his time here was to expedite the Time Warner deal.

Originally Posted by WeReady
    Your also missing the most important point of the Knicks FO told him to sit out because they didn't want jeremy risk re-injury and harm their cash cow

"can you give 15 mins" -SAS SHM
    lin wasnt cleared to play by doctors

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Some mis-information here. Lin doesn't really affect seats at home because the Garden is full with or without him. The crowd he attracts on the road attribute to that particular teams revenue. Also, while Linsanity did affect MSG's market cap, there are so many other factors that go into the value of a stock from a company with as much subsidiaries as MSG.

If the Knicks win, it benefits MSG's business no matter who the pg is.

Lastly, for those who think Lin makes the franchise money off jersey sales, you're wrong. Those revenues are considered league wide and are part of the player/owner split. The biggest thing Lin did for MSG in his time here was to expedite the Time Warner deal.
    What about the deals to air MSG in Asia? And the 30% increase in season ticket sales when LinSanity took off. With MSG TV ratings up 70%, how much ad revenues were brought in due to the increase TV ratings.

ROFL

Originally Posted by LINvincible
    What about the deals to air MSG in Asia? And the 30% increase in season ticket sales when LinSanity took off. With MSG TV ratings up 70%, how much ad revenues were brought in due to the increase TV ratings.
    Ticket prices were raised when Melo got here. I'll give you the TV rating increase though.

I'm sorry but too many people are focused on the $$$ Dolan will make but I hardly hear anything about the team's success. I want to watch a good team compete for a title. All the money going up to the Dolans means very little to me.

Bottom line, keep Lin if you think he can be the guy to lead you to a title. If not, move on with the pieces you have.

Originally Posted by GordonGecko
    ROFL

Hahahaha, epic vid!!! The end is not so bad either, if you catch my drift

But the bags of money falling are hilarious, also "kidd is old and felton is fat", then Kidd is in the motorscooter, hilarious.

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Great article Paul. Looks like theres an ESPN insider article saying basically the same thing written by Larry Coon (no 'cism). With this new bit of information it would be really dumb not to re-sign him, I think i was overlooking the way we'd have road games and the road teams would be cheering for us, or mainly Lin. Same thing sorta, but I hope the Knicks wait until 11:58pm ET to sign that contract just to stick it to the houston C*cksh*ts
    I copy and pasted the Larry Coon insider article lol

Veteran

Originally Posted by Hayato
    wait so if we waive him before year 3, we pay lin 4.9 mil each year for the next 3 years for not playing with us?
    Yes, exactly.

MSG's stock lost 50 million dollars in value on Monday because of the rumors. Just saying.

Ticket prices were raised again for this coming season (after Linsanity). And true for the most part, the Garden is full. But MSG does sell courtside seats and suites on a per game basis. Lin packed the house with celebs after Feb. There would be no Chinese Ads for Coke or Taiwan Tourism at the Garden if not for Lin. Seems you're the one misinformed.

Lin's a special case because you have to account for the money he brings in as well as his on court performance.

Ticket prices were raised when Melo got here. I'll give you the TV rating increase though.

I'm sorry but too many people are focused on the $$$ Dolan will make but I hardly hear anything about the team's success. I want to watch a good team compete for a title. All the money going up to the Dolans means very little to me.

Bottom line, keep Lin if you think he can be the guy to lead you to a title. If not, move on with the pieces you have.

Knicks should be able to negotiate a TV deal in asia that would bring back multiples of his salary and cap hit

There are already TV deals in China and Taiwan. They've been following Knicks games since Linsanity. Go to youtube and search his Chinese name. You can find every game that was played last season since Linsanity broadcast in Chinese.

Example: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Originally Posted by GordonGecko
    Knicks should be able to negotiate a TV deal in asia that would bring back multiples of his salary and cap hit
    Last edited by Uncle Robo; Jul 17, 2012 at 14:19.

but the point at hand is Lin is a cashcow to the organization which is true. whether it leads to team success or not, its true.

Veteran

Someone needs to be fired if this "stretch provision" affects signing JLin. Signing all these PGs doesn't make sense and then you find out wait you can spread out the the luxury tax over a few years so lets change our mind and match for JLin. WTF do you do with Felton??

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Yes, exactly.

MSG's stock lost 50 million dollars in value on Monday because of the rumors. Just saying.
    i would think the ratings would stay up considering people would be tuning in to hear up-to-date news about lin