Amare Stoudemire's brother dies

dave2138

Rotation player
You could look at it as Amare's older brother's mess ups in life kind of motivated him to choose a different path growing up. I think they said Hazell was a star basketball player growing up, but because of his background, schools didn't want to touch him. Maybe this had an effect of him to turn to crime/drugs. I'm sure seeing that 1st hand probably had an impact on Amare to stay out of trouble and focus on basketball.

Damn. This is messed up, totally came out of nowhere. I hope Amare gets a break from playing so he can be with his family and get through this. R.I.P Hazell..... Btw rady can you ban quiggle already? Dude is obviously a troll that is bored with his life so he goes on forums to make his life a little more exciting.

very sad news I hope stat and his family recover from this
but does any1 have any idea when he will b back because we need him more then ever now with the injury to melo

portega1968

El Cacique
very sad news I hope stat and his family recover from this but does any1 have any idea when he will b back because we need him more then ever now with the injury to melo

He'll probably be back by Monday, but right now it doesn't matter!!! The man needs to take care of business back home and that's all anyone should be thinking of rightnow.

We will be fine without Melo and Stat while they're gone, and a much better team when they do comeback as our bench will get some good burn and they will return focused more than ever!!!

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/11061/tyson-to-amare-take-all-the-time-you-need

Tyson to Amare: Take all the time you need
February, 7, 2012
By Christopher Hunt

GREENBURGH, N.Y. – No timetable has been released on when Amare Stoudemire might return to the team, but Tyson Chandler, for one, says Stoudemire should be in no rush.

“At this point I just really want him to take as much time as he needs,” said Chandler, who reached out to Stoudemire before practice Tuesday. “Basketball is one thing, life and family is completely another thing. I hope the best out of this situation with his family. It’s a tough one.”

Stoudemire went to Florida after news broke that his brother Hazell was killed in a car crash Monday morning. A moment of silence was held before the Knicks home game against Utah Monday night.

The team will also be without Carmelo Anthony, who strained his groin Monday and is expected to miss one to two weeks.

Chandler said adversity might be good for the team. The Knicks had been looking for some bench support and with New York’s two biggest stars out of the lineup, the reserves will have an opportunity to gain some minutes ... and some confidence.

“Those guys are saviors,” Chandler said of Stoudemire and Anthony. “You can always just throw them the ball in crucial situation and get a bucket. You can always just feed either of them at the end of the shot clock and they’ll create something.

"But now we have to be more of a team. We have to rely on one another. We have to be sharp, we have to set picks, we have to run our offense, and this will actually be good for us. Sometimes you can make good things out of bad things and that’s what we have to do.”

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Stoudemire mourning death of older brother in Florida car crash
Comments
By Frank Isola / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, February 8, 2012, 11:34 AM.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...y-mike-antoni-article-1.1019149#ixzz1loJzRjdT
Amar'e Stoudemire is not expected to rejoin the Knicks until Monday, head coach Mike D'Antoni said on Wednesday.

Stoudemire left the team on Monday after his older brother Hazell died in a car accident in his home state of Florida.

Hazell Stoudemire, 35, was killed instantly when he rammed his speeding 2007 Cadillac Escalade into an orange-juice tanker on U.S. 27 in Lake Wales at 1:40 a.m., police said.

He wasn't wearing a seat belt.

"This is a tough time for him," D'Antoni said.

The Knicks enter Wednesday's game against the Wizards without their two leading scorers, Carmelo Anthony and Stoudemire. Anthony suffered a strained right groin in Monday's win over Utah and will be out one to two weeks.

Neither Anthony nor Stoudemire will be available for Friday's home game against the Lakers and Saturday's game at Minnesota.

Jared Jeffries will continue to start in place of Stoudemire. Bill Walker replaces Anthony in the lineup while Jeremy Lin makes his second straight start at point guard.

"Whatever time he needs to take, he'll take. And we'll get him back as soon as possible," D'Antoni said on Monday. "I know he's very close to his brother so my heart goes out to him. He cherishes his family."