We Collectively owe D'antoni an Apology

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
As a coach in a tight game against a division Rival its hard to make the call to put in a Rookie under those circumstances and ask him to orchestrate the offense. Tony Douglas is a 3 yr vet with more exp. Its understandable if you look at it from that view point.
This is just retarded. How can you say you can't trust the only guy that's run the offense well, but you can blow a game by playing someone who has never been a pg and right now isn't good enough to be any type of guard? TD has been ****ing awful, Lin has been awesome. I don't care how long TD has been mediocre, it doesn't make him a PG.

Paul1355

All Star
This is why none of you are NBA coaches. How many NBA coaches would play an unproved D leaguer who has bounced around team from team being cut. Lets be real here. While D'antoni was getting desperate and put Lin in as a what the hell last hope, it clearly shows that when Dantoni has a PG his offense looks beautiful. How can you hater deny that? I am not even a Dantoni stan, but these young knicks are playing D and scoring within this system. If we can keep this same defensive intensity up, while buying into Dantonis system, I do believe we can turn our season around with THIS COACH!.

and how far did Mike D go with Steve Nash running the point with a good bench and allstars in the starting lineup?

Never to the championship. Think Lin can?
It's not the players, it's the coach.

skisloper

Starter
I don't know if I agree that everyone would have said D'Antoni cost us the game. I think people would have said, it was quite obvious the kid needed a rest.

I do agree that the stars aligned with Lin, however. I also agree that D'Antoni didn't need to do much to win that game besides leave Lin in. Like where we are and hope it continues. We will have a few rough games ahead of us, though, without Amar'e and Melo (out 1-2 weeks). We can't sacrifice our players now. Still have a lot of season to go. Unfortunately, I do not trust MDA to ever make a correct judgement, unless given no other option.

Are u kidding ???? This board leaves no room for rational judgement.
Most would have crucified D"antonio for taking him out....or when he took him out...

My first thought when I saw no Melo for 10 days and no Amare until maybe Friday was plase do not run Lin into the ground....I too question Dantonio in regards to this....

As for so many people bringing up the celtics game.....LIN came out and said he was not happy with his play and was pissed ...
why does it mateer so much if Dantonio played him then or the next game.
IF Lin had a turnover in the 4th quarter to lose us the celltics game its a very safe bet this board would say how did he have a D Leaguer in the game.

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
Exactly, in the past tense, specifically referring to last night, not meant at the future

Uh...no. D'Antoni means EXACTLY what the poster you quoted was pointing out. He's going to keep running Lin:

"Until he gets his team whole again, D’Antoni said he expects this rag-tag bunch to step up as they did Monday — especially Lin.

“I am riding him like Secretariat,” the coach said.

Present tense use of the word "riding" (no homo) meaning he's going to keep doing the same thing, not rode meaning for that particular game.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...e-misses-game-death-brother-article-1.1018291

Paul1355

All Star
Nothing I said is not a factual statement.

Jeremy Lin is the most competent pick and roll PG this roster has seen in years. In only 2 games I think it is more than enough to see with out drinking the kool aid that this kid understands how to run the P&R and break down defenses. Someone like Novak does not thrive unless he has a PG to set him up. He shot extremely well because Lin found him. This is Dantoni's system. While the coach has many faults, many of you fail to realize he has a roster not built for his system. Many of you say he needs to adjust, but he was brought here to run his system, it is not his fault that the GM's are giving his square pieces to put in circle holes.

I am by far not a supporter of Dantoni, I say simply we need to soften our stance against him, Lin showing up and playing this well is a surprise to EVERYONE. Warriors, Rockets, all didn't know he had this much talent. I do believe that he has what it takes to be a STARTING PG in this specific type of offense. While its only been two games, I think its safe to say he is our BEST option at PG and not one we are settling for. He has completely bought in to MDA's strategies and has been effective. Utah is not a push over team, yet we made them look like it with pure hustle, defense, and great offense.

Many people are critical of Dantoni because they say his type of ball doesn't win championships. But it wasn't his offense that was the problem, it was that his team never played defense.

The Knicks are 2nd for Steals, ranked well for turn overs and differentials. Issue has always been his defense. We got that part down and now we have a competent PG to run this systems P&R and find open guys.

Just imagine this..All those blown layups by Jeffries would of been put back dunks by amare. Kid would of had 13 assists last night.

I just wish some of you would be sensible and stop and take off the hater shades. Lets give this offense a chance and this kid a chance. NY fans are the most fickle.

We should get excited for this kid. Some of you are almost like wishing he fails so Dantoni fails. Trust me I hate the coach some times do, but I also recognize the gifts of his offense when its run like its been the last 2 games.

Some of you should not only be Knick fans, but a fan of the sport and look at our situation objectively.

acutally Chris Duhon was a very effective pick and roll PG, especially with David Lee. Duhon fell off the map when he stopped driving to the hoop so teams knew when he ran the pick and roll, that he was never going to drive.
This caused Duhon to lose confidence since he struggled with his outside shot, and never drove to the hoop so he jus kept bricking. When your shot is not going down, and your not a sharp shooter, u have to get closer to the hoop and make easier shots. Then your confidence goes up and you start hitting shots everywhere.
Mike D never taught this to Duhon or else he would have drove to the basket and drew more fouls, which he was exceptional at. Duhon was also a great free throw shooter.

Now we are seeing the same problems with our guards. Fields kept jacking up outside shots utill recently. Shumpert and Douglas have been worse because they don't drive as much as they should. If your a PG not penetrating to the hoop, then you become useless unless your money from outside.

Lin just naturally looks to attack the hoop. Hopefully he won't become a 3 point shooter and stop driving, since every PG under MIke D wants to suddenly jack up shots and stops driving.

fender0577

Rotation player
As for so many people bringing up the celtics game.....LIN came out and said he was not happy with his play and was pissed ...
why does it mateer so much if Dantonio played him then or the next game.
IF Lin had a turnover in the 4th quarter to lose us the celltics game its a very safe bet this board would say how did he have a D Leaguer in the game.
It matters, because we still had a chance to win the game, with LIN running the point, give me 1 good reason to pull LIN in favor of TD.We are up 11, as soon as TD hit the court we lost the lead, why not go back to what was working, with LIN out there, that's all i'm saying.

petescud

Starter
we do own him an apology. But shouldn't he had gave Lin a chance sooner with the teams struggles. I would had tried anything. Thats me

Kiyaman

Legend
Dantoni wouldve DNP Charles Oakley

Apologies welcome here.

Are u serious....Dantoni replace TD with (no summer-league) rookie Shump as
a starter/finisher....so your reason for the Celtics game goes down the drain.
Trying to justify Dantoni's flawed actions is to justify rape.
Dantoni rape the Knicks for 4 seasons with his personal foolishness

pat

Starter
Yea, its funny. They were absolutely no where to be found the last 2-3 weeks. Now they want apologies. LOL. Gimme a break...

Possibly because it became literally impossible to discuss with you guys on a matter-of-factly basis. I'm going out on a limp here, but I guess once Melo and Stat return and our offense comes to a grining halt again, the Lin-fairy tale will bne over again. He might be on his way out, but not because he is a terrible coach, but because Dolan got involved and the team we could have had did never evolve. Instead we are suck with two "superstars" whose egos are as big as their pay checks and no flow on offense.
Blaming the coach is always the easiest option, but look at the successful teams: They all created stable environments in which players and coaches could develop and which evoled over time. But maybe thats just me.

BachaCho

Benchwarmer
and how far did Mike D go with Steve Nash running the point with a good bench and allstars in the starting lineup?

Never to the championship. Think Lin can?
It's not the players, it's the coach.

They could of won a championship if they played decent defense... Not only do we have a better bench then the old Suns team, we have much better defense and better defensive players then the old Suns team... Also a better center and a defensive minded assistant coach

Wargames

Starter
111189425016420624481331761994xWEJMe4Sl0hJsSP8c4xq.JPG

Since I have no problems kicking a dog while its down

That is the only apology the fans should accept from Mike :afro: