The curious case of Rajon Rondo

It seems that the Celtics do not want to build around Rajon Rondo. They are curently discussing trade scenarios with LA based on Gasol.

Now I don't get why the Celtics wouldnt want to build around Rondo and why they would trade him for ANOTHER aging PF and not to a team like Detroit or Utah for a package of young talent and picks but hey, were talking about a dude who traded Kendrick Perkins for a heart condition lol.

My question is (NOT THAT I WANT IT TO HAPPEN I ACTUALLY WOULDNT IM JUST WONDERING HOW CRAZY SOME OF YOU ARE): if your name was Glen Grunwald and you got a call about a trade based around Amare Stoudemire for a Rondo package would you take it?

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Rondo will be exposed when garnet,allen and pierce are gone. Even the Celtics know this. Lin>>>>>Rondo i dont want that flopping punk on my team.

But why would the celtics want Amare there already old they dont need bad knees a guy that plays no defense and a 100mill contract on their team. would either KG or Amare be happy coming off the bench.The only way i can see them wanting amare is if they plan on fliping him in another trade packaging him with some players on thier team in some kind of 3 team blockbuster deal.

But if the celtics came to us with a Rondo/Kg for Amare package ill take that in a heart beat but Rondo for Amare straight up F that.

if celtics and lakers are serious with a rondo/gasol swap that would mean garnet should be on the trading block come march interesting..... unless they plan on throwing gasol into the center position and play KG at PF, i think this makes thier front court softer though gasol's been playing like a fruit cake this season maybe kg can toughen him up. I cant see this trade happening unless theres a 3rd team involved lets say (the magic) with gasol+fillers going to boston, rondo+bynum+ a pick heading to orlando, and turk, Howard, nelson heading to the lakers.

Last edited:
...That trade actually made sense...I'd do that in a heartbeat.

...Gasol + fillers to Beantown, Howard & Co. to LA and Rondo/Bynum to Orlando...Check it in the trade machine!?

skisloper

Starter
we finally have a PG in Lin.
A PG that will elevate Amare's game.
So now lets get rid of Amare and bring in Rondo ?
why oh why do you come up with this.....

I cannot wait for us to have Lin, Fields, Melo, Amare and Chandler on the court
with Shump, Jeffries, Josh , Novak ( over Walker ) and eventually Davis off the bench.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
No.... you don't trade with the enemy....
That much is true.

Rajon Rondo is a very good PG. I agree he is talent-enhancement, but he's nimble and has quick hands; almost any team would benefit from having him. But at the cost? (Gasol or STAT) What are you on?

The Knicks don't need Rondo. We have a good player in Lin and we have backups with Shumpy and TD. Losing a starting big seems pointless. The Lakers would go for Rondo; they've been looking for their next PG for awhile. However, to be an effective PG, the Lakers need more than Kobe and Meta/Artest for Rondo to pass to. (And their secondary for Pau is.. what, Matt Barnes, Luke Walton? They'd be in a lurch for a bit without a decent PF option.)

As to why the C's don't want to build on Rondo -- they've got nothing to build on. They can't really trade anyone; who is going to ask for Pierce? Ray Allen is outstanding, but he's over 35. And the Celtics aren't giving up on Garnett because he's still got more years left. Glen Grunwald is facing a choice of breaking the Big-Three (or at least two of them) or betting on draft picks.

Boston's probably going to keep the 3 until they retire, but the fact that they traded away Perkins and Davis makes me question their future. I'd expect wholesale changes if the Celts don't trade any of their Big-3 while they're still valuable. (Imagine the Clips or the Bulls would be happy with Ray Allen.)

Seriously though, what good would Pau Gasol do for the Celtics? Be their new C?

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Pre Lin? In a heart beat.

The idea that Rondo will be found out is laughable, he's the best pass first defensive point guard in the league. He's also the real leader of the Celtics and you can ask any Celtics fan, they were sick at the thought of losing him.

iSaYughh

Starter
Pre Lin? In a heart beat.

The idea that Rondo will be found out is laughable, he's the best pass first defensive point guard in the league. He's also the real leader of the Celtics and you can ask any Celtics fan, they were sick at the thought of losing him.

Rondo
Shumpert

Would be a pretty sick backcourt, hah.....

And I agree -- idk why people think Rondo is so overrated. Very few true PGs in the game today..he's one of them, and unlike Nash (eg), Rondo is an elite defender.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Rondo
Shumpert

Would be a pretty sick backcourt, hah.....

And I agree -- idk why people think Rondo is so overrated. Very few true PGs in the game today..he's one of them, and unlike Nash (eg), Rondo is an elite defender.
Except Nash is light years better than Rondo.

Paul1355

All Star
It seems that the Celtics do not want to build around Rajon Rondo. They are curently discussing trade scenarios with LA based on Gasol.

Now I don't get why the Celtics wouldnt want to build around Rondo and why they would trade him for ANOTHER aging PF and not to a team like Detroit or Utah for a package of young talent and picks but hey, were talking about a dude who traded Kendrick Perkins for a heart condition lol.

My question is (NOT THAT I WANT IT TO HAPPEN I ACTUALLY WOULDNT IM JUST WONDERING HOW CRAZY SOME OF YOU ARE): if your name was Glen Grunwald and you got a call about a trade based around Amare Stoudemire for a Rondo package would you take it?
2 weeks ago i would of said yes but Jeremy Lin is oppening up my eyes to what the future can hold. This kid is the real deal and doing it without Amare and Melo. The offense has never looked better.

Lin would make Amare the same Amare he was in Phoenix just because the pick and roll would come back and dominate.