Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Dantonis Stupidity Recently...

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Dantonis Stupidity Recently...

    He says that Lin couldn't shoot, defend or finish. Did he just look at him for 5 minutes and walk away?

    He or someone from his staff could have gone onto youtube on July 15th 2010 and found this video...



    He is defending, shooting, finishing and is the best player on the floor in an NBA quality game a year and a half ago. Not sure how Dantoni didn't know what he had there sitting on the bench.

    Dantoni needs to be shown the door at seasons end just for his comments recently about people who boo Jared Jeffries.

  2. #2
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I agree the coaching staff had to see footage of him to see what he was capable of as a player. As a coach you should be able to evaluate players based on what you think you can get out of them. Based on Lin's skill set, he's always been decent but just needs to refine a few things. A good coach will take that player and tweak the little things and develop a better basketball player. See Larry Brown on Billups.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Why did nobody in this league pick up Lin?

    You all realize Lin is the STARTING NYK POINT GUARD right now?

    Nobody in the league has ever legitimately wanted him.

    He wasn't even retained by a team to toil in their D-League, or rot on a bench.

    He gets signed, held on to...mind you, *into* a season already under way..

    And you all complain that this reflects MDA poorly?

    Good lord.....

    I guess this YouTube vid you found is just the holy grail of definitive knowledge, too; and if only the various professional scouts, coaches, GM's and professionals of the billion dollar NBA had this type of information at their disposal...

    Not that it reflects well upon MDA or the NYK that we happened to be the ones who ended up actually picking him up, keeping him, and now start him....And have him playing well (which is kinda important).

  4. #4
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I'm just saying - outside of these last 2 games (which were great) - Jeremy Lin has never shown the ability to play consistently well at an NBA-level.

  5. #5
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    Why did nobody in this league pick up Lin?

    You all realize Lin is the STARTING NYK POINT GUARD right now?

    Nobody in the league has ever legitimately wanted him.

    He wasn't even retained by a team to toil in their D-League, or rot on a bench.

    He gets signed, held on to...mind you, *into* a season already under way..

    And you all complain that this reflects MDA poorly?

    Good lord.....

    I guess this YouTube vid you found is just the holy grail of definitive knowledge, too; and if only the various professional scouts, coaches, GM's and professionals of the billion dollar NBA had this type of information at their disposal...

    Not that it reflects well upon MDA or the NYK that we happened to be the ones who ended up actually picking him up, keeping him, and now start him....And have him playing well (which is kinda important).
    You're seriously missing the point. Forget about where he was before we picked him up. We signed him as a reserve PG but hardly even thought about playing him even when we had bad games in part due to horrible guard play. You would think the coaching staff would have exhausted all options a lot earlier. Why pick up players if you're not going to give them a shot when other guys are playing like ****?

    Shawne Williams went through the same thing with us but the only difference is that he got decent minutes early on and eventually we found out we had a decent player worthy of minutes. I cannot understand why it took so long for Antoni to give Lin the nod when our backcourt has been abismal up until recently.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,668
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    You're seriously missing the point. Forget about where he was before we picked him up. We signed him as a reserve PG but hardly even thought about playing him even when we had bad games in part due to horrible guard play. You would think the coaching staff would have exhausted all options a lot earlier. Why pick up players if you're not going to give them a shot when other guys are playing like ****?

    Shawne Williams went through the same thing with us but the only difference is that he got decent minutes early on and eventually we found out we had a decent player worthy of minutes. I cannot understand why it took so long for Antoni to give Lin the nod when our backcourt has been abismal up until recently.
    It did not take as long as you might think.......We had a rookie named SHUMP who Dantonio was trying to develop....how many rookies ( LIN 2 years ) can u have out there?

    Remember Shump was our hero early on....


    whatever the difference Dantonio is the ONLY NBA coach to give LIN a real shot.

  7. #7
    Member serendipity10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG
    Posts
    449
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    You tube videos are highlights. Not only highlights, but highlights of college and summer league games. He's had limited time, but now shows some promise. D'antoni gave him the opportunity, and kept adding minutes to his game. Lin shows promise and we should just be grateful in the timing he got his chance.

    Now D'antoni has to make sure he doesn't over work Lin. Lin is an actual point guard who keeps his head up, hope he continues to improve.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    330
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Missing the point

    I think that D'Antoni is such a stubborn idiot that he would have started Jarred Jeffries ahead of Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Alajouwon, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Bill Russell because they slowed down his system by posting up with their backs to the basket.

    Or maybe he would have played them, but only if they developed a good three point shot.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smithtown
    Posts
    239
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by nixon7
    I think that D'Antoni is such a stubborn idiot that he would have started Jarred Jeffries ahead of Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Alajouwon, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Bill Russell because they slowed down his system by posting up with their backs to the basket.

    Or maybe he would have played them, but only if they developed a good three point shot.
    ITS SIMPLE..Jeffries shoots , you expect a miss...
    MELO , NOVAK, WALKER, JORTS, all can shoot...but what about BALKMAN....D'Antoni will only play him if he has only 5 players available and BALKMAN id one of them.
    I would post Jeffries as a guard at the MEN'S ROOM

  10. #10
    Nein, Mann! Lercher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam
    Posts
    3,058
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    My understanding is Linny always had a problem with getting into someones interest. Did you hear his college story? Everyone realized what did they miss just when someone else signs Lin who directly starts showing what he's worth. Stanford realized that when Lin already attended Harvard, Warriors and Rockets problably realize that now when the Little Emperor averaged 25.3 points and 8.3 assists over the last three games. I can blame D'Antoni for not giving the kid a fair shot earlier, but he's still the first NBA coach who gave him some solid minutes.

  11. #11
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by DrB
    ITS SIMPLE..Jeffries shoots , you expect a miss...
    MELO , NOVAK, WALKER, JORTS, all can shoot...but what about BALKMAN....D'Antoni will only play him if he has only 5 players available and BALKMAN id one of them.
    I would post Jeffries as a guard at the MEN'S ROOM
    jefferies is better than balkman....maybe balkman may have an offensive edge, but balkman cant guard pg's or pf's

  12. #12
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by joegti10
    He says that Lin couldn't shoot, defend or finish. Did he just look at him for 5 minutes and walk away?

    He or someone from his staff could have gone onto youtube on July 15th 2010 and found this video...



    He is defending, shooting, finishing and is the best player on the floor in an NBA quality game a year and a half ago. Not sure how Dantoni didn't know what he had there sitting on the bench.

    Dantoni needs to be shown the door at seasons end just for his comments recently about people who boo Jared Jeffries.
    lmao....the knicks coaching staff could have gone on youtube? lmao hahhahahahahha aaaaaaahhahhaahahhahahahha

    hey hey hey, im defending jeff too. he's bleeding orange n blue out there....cant b mad at that

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    330
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Missing the point again

    No one should fault the Warriors or Rockets for not playing Lin a lot. Those teams were not deficient at point guard, and they all signed him. They just let him go pursuing centers they needed more, a legitimate basketball move.

    After the Chandler deal, we were dramatically lacking a legitimate point guard - a starter AND a backup.

    Even with Lin, we still need another point guard. Davis is still a may-never-play, Bibby is past his prime even as a solid backup, and Shumpert and Douglas are shooting guards plain and simple.

    If Davis comes back strong, then Bibby is a legit third string PG. Otherwise, we still need to make a deal for another PG, and I would prefer someone else as Davis-insurance, either way.

    It is under these circumstances that people feel the Knicks were lunatics to wait this long for Lin to play. It is probable that Lin would not have been this good at the start of the season.

    However, he would be an even better player now if he was our starter or primary backup from day one. Our record would be better and some of our injured players might not be injured.

    We also will never win anything without a legitimate backup center.

    Harrellson can be a great backup PF. We still need a backup center to spell Chandler, as insurance against foul trouble, let alone a Chandler injury.

    Playing Stat or Harrellson out of position (just like playing Shumpert and Douglas out of position) is how we ended up where we are now.

    I still think Jerome Jordan can be that backup center. If you disagree, then where are the moves to acquire one?

    Even if Jordan had been developed and used properly, I would still be in the market for a third string center. Not developing a 2nd string center is sheer madness.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,994
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    D'Antoni got desperate because his job was on the line. He constantly played players playing constantly bad, but guys who showed they might be able to help us couldn't get time, especially in a shortened season in which we have back to back AND back to back to back games? Give me a break.
    Last edited by RunningJumper; Feb 09, 2012 at 11:19.

  15. #15
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by nixon7
    I still think Jerome Jordan can be that backup center. If you disagree, then where are the moves to acquire one?

    Even if Jordan had been developed and used properly, I would still be in the market for a third string center. Not developing a 2nd string center is sheer madness.
    This also bothers me. Developing players like that is the same as clearing cap space for a specific type of player. You do it for the future, plain and simple. We have two 7 ft centers to play and 3 PFs with different skill sets (value).

    Amare - Starting PF with quickness and power
    Jorts - Perimeter threat along with good rebounding and sold post defense
    Jeffries - Can guard multiple positions, guard the post in spurts, good defensive positioning.

    Tyson - Starting C with good rebounding and defense, plays PnR very well
    Jordan - Possibly good rebounder and defender (he's definitely active)

Similar Threads

  1. Could Toney Parker Be an MVP in Dantoni's offense?
    By New New York in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Jun 23, 2010, 09:05
  2. Many believe D'Antoni's system made for LeBron (Hahn)
    By KNICKMATIC809 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jun 23, 2010, 07:44
  3. ESPN rates Dantoni's first 2 seasons as coach
    By nyk_nyk in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: Apr 16, 2010, 13:45
  4. D'antoni's Rotation Mistakes
    By JayJ44 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Mar 09, 2009, 20:03
  5. Priceless Stupidity: Knicks Top List, Luxury Tax $45Mil!
    By mArBuRyIsAmOrOn in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec 28, 2007, 17:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •