Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: How do we fit Melo into the game?

  1. #1
    Member c0leworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    211
    Rep Power
    3

    Default How do we fit Melo into the game?

    The Knicks are playing amazingly now with our new found point guard. I know Wizards defense sucks, but Jeremy Lin is looking like the real deal now. We look like a different team completely and I think we have the roster to do well in the playoffs. Maybe an addition of JR smith would be good, whatever.

    So I think Stoudemire will be fine now with Lin giving him the ball and him and Chandler will find a way to fit in.


    The real question is, how do we fit Melo in? We've been playing amazingly with a lot of ball movement, but Melo likes to iso. I'm trying to think how we can keep up what we have now with the addition of Melo when he returns. Should Melo be the go to guy when we need a score? Should we let Melo keep jacking his shots cause they usually go in? What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    The biggest worry was to find a ball-handler and orchestrator, and one who could play the high pick and roll beautifully. Melo isn't the ideal pick and roll player. Instead, Melo can stick to his strengths. He could get the ball in the high post and move more without the ball.

    I think Melo's role could mimic when he was on team USA. he was more a spot up shooter and post threat facing few double teams. I can only imagine the court opening up for him. He'll have better looks. I don't think he'll face double and triple teams as often. He doesn't have to score 25. Melo can drop 15-18 and the Knicks will be fine.

  3. #3
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,486
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by shaolin
    The biggest worry was to find a ball-handler and orchestrator, and one who could play the high pick and roll beautifully. Melo isn't the ideal pick and roll player. Instead, Melo can stick to his strengths. He could get the ball in the high post and move more without the ball.

    I think Melo's role could mimic when he was on team USA. he was more a spot up shooter and post threat facing few double teams. I can only imagine the court opening up for him. He'll have better looks. I don't think he'll face double and triple teams as often. He doesn't have to score 25. Melo can drop 15-18 and the Knicks will be fine.
    How good is it that you picked that username pre Lin?

    It's very good.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    How good is it that you picked that username pre Lin?

    It's very good.
    Imagine that!!

  5. #5
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    The most important thing right now is that Melo has to give #7 back to Lin.

    2nd most important thing, Melo demands a trade and we get some prospect to build around Lin.

    We win, we Lin.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    How good is it that you picked that username pre Lin?

    It's very good.


    How come the nickname *FOR* Lin -- Shaolin -- hasn't been mentioned yet? Or have I been under a rock with lots of porn hidden under it for the past day?

  7. #7
    Member knickerbocka176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    298
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    The most important thing right now is that Melo has to give #7 back to Lin.

    2nd most important thing, Melo demands a trade and we get some prospect to build around Lin.

    We win, we Lin.
    why u have so much hate towards stat and melo. now your saying we build around lin?! smfh

  8. #8
    ★KNICKS-TAPE★ NYk_Reloaded718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Queenz, NY
    Posts
    3,317
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    well before melo, went down i noticed he was letting Lin or orchestrate the offense the ball was in his hands. Melo did bring the ball up at times, but i think carmelo will be willling to pass more when he comes back. you can probably put steve nash next to melo and melo will find some way deep down to ball hog and get his iso scoring, thats just his game. Ever since our to stars had that little talk ive also noticed melo more passive which is a +

    what i would like to see is Amare, Chanlder gaining some chemistry. If stat can learn to pass to chandler somehow and those 2 gain chemisty down low, something similar to pau/bynum then well be in great shape, Chandlers not offensively talented as bynum and amare doesn't have the post game of pau but im sure they can work something out. ive seen jeffries hit chandler down low for the easy bucket if jeff can do it stat can do it to, we dont need Hero basketball we need team basketball.

    Look to see more LiN/chandler Pick & roll than Lin/Amare pick & roll he has clicked with Lin already and has great length.
    Last edited by NYk_Reloaded718; Feb 08, 2012 at 21:15.

  9. #9
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Something similar was going through my head when I was watching the game. I was wondering how Melo fits in now too, even i have to admit at this point that we'd be much better off with Gallo and Chandler now that we have a real point guard. For Stoudemire, its gonna be sorta similar to playing with Nash again. But is Stat the player he was 2 years ago or even last year (up until shortly before Melo trade)? Id have to lean towards the negative on that topic

  10. #10
    Member Number3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    right across the river...Jersey
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    MElo could be last option.. running down on the clock... or we can just have him standing away from the paint with a double team... so Lin can drive to the hoop or do a pick n roll easily

  11. #11
    Member Number3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    right across the river...Jersey
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    people are easily to get Melo out of here.. but Melo is a special player that not alot of teams have... when we are down on crunch time... whos going to take the clutch shots?? Lakers have kobe... bulls Rose... Thunder Durant... Heat No one... Celtics Pierce etc.

  12. #12
    Member knickerbocka176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    298
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    the novak and lin tandem would be the same as melo and lin drive kick it out to melo for the open jumper

  13. #13
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    How do we fit Melo?

    By passing him the ball.

    Melo has more game winners than our entire team combined. GAME WINNERS.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Something similar was going through my head when I was watching the game. I was wondering how Melo fits in now too, even i have to admit at this point that we'd be much better off with Gallo and Chandler now that we have a real point guard. For Stoudemire, its gonna be sorta similar to playing with Nash again. But is Stat the player he was 2 years ago or even last year (up until shortly before Melo trade)? Id have to lean towards the negative on that topic
    If our efficiency goes up, no reason all our hogs can't get their eats in.

    With Lin at point, threatening Peter North style penetration, Atari should at least resemble the threat of what was once the most efficient, dominant scorer in the NBA.

    Melo seemed to be able to run some decent pick n rolls and had good synergy with Chandler, too.

    End of the day, it's all on D'antoni to figure this all out, and make the most of the options and threats we can present.

    If we don't have a top3 offense in the league once we are healthy, and moving forward, I would be surprised and hold that against MDA.

  15. #15
    ★KNICKS-TAPE★ NYk_Reloaded718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Queenz, NY
    Posts
    3,317
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by Number3
    people are easily to get Melo out of here.. but Melo is a special player that not alot of teams have... when we are down on crunch time... whos going to take the clutch shots?? Lakers have kobe... bulls Rose... Thunder Durant... Heat No one... Celtics Pierce etc.
    Fixed* heat Bosh easily the clutchest player on the heat no matter how feminine he acts on the court ive seen dude bail the heat alot plenty of times.

Similar Threads

  1. Sixers want Amare
    By metrocard in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: Feb 03, 2012, 07:29
  2. Knicks @ Bucks 11/21 8:30 PM ET
    By jpz17 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: Nov 21, 2008, 23:49
  3. New York Knicks vs Seattle Sonics Game Thread
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Feb 04, 2008, 15:20
  4. Replies: 73
    Last Post: Feb 03, 2008, 22:30
  5. Dallas Mavericks vs New York Knicks Game Thread
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Dec 11, 2007, 18:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •