How do we fit Melo into the game?

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Why are so many people hating on Melo? Yeah he hasnt been scoring beastly lately, but he is changing his game up for the better of the team and is learning how to become more of a facilitator like Lebron... Lebron adapted when he came to the Heat and now Lebron can dish out over 5 assist per game easily and score over 20 easily... that will be Melo extremely soon I promise you

This is exactly what we are witnessing, a change in Melo's game that will ultimately make him a better player and he will still be our crunch time man and scoring machine when the time is called for

No I don't think Melo is ever going to be like Lebron who's basically a point forward, Melo is a scorer and he should stick to it but in the flow of the offense and in crunch time.

When Lin has the ball and BD when he gets healthy Melo should be focus on getting positioning like Kobe does this when he doesn't have the ball. He should focus on getting good positioning in his sweet spots, playing in the post, and bail out shots at the end of the shot clock or when the team can't buy a basket.

c0leworld

Benchwarmer
Bench

Baron
Shump
Fields
Jorts
Giraffe
:peace:

And Novak. Novak has to be that dude to come off the bench when we need some quick points.

In addition, I'm still mindblown by Jeremy Lin. It's truly one of the greatest stories. A kid who was 5th on the bench in PGS becomes the best one we have

It's crazy to think this guy was in the D-League a few weeks ago ROFL

Paul1355

All Star
The Knicks are playing amazingly now with our new found point guard. I know Wizards defense sucks, but Jeremy Lin is looking like the real deal now. We look like a different team completely and I think we have the roster to do well in the playoffs. Maybe an addition of JR smith would be good, whatever.

So I think Stoudemire will be fine now with Lin giving him the ball and him and Chandler will find a way to fit in.

The real question is, how do we fit Melo in? We've been playing amazingly with a lot of ball movement, but Melo likes to iso. I'm trying to think how we can keep up what we have now with the addition of Melo when he returns. Should Melo be the go to guy when we need a score? Should we let Melo keep jacking his shots cause they usually go in? What do you guys think?
Melo played better with Chauncey Billups so I don't see Melo being worse with Lin.

If anything Melo will be even better with someone else ball handling. Melo can post up, camp out at 3 point land to free up space for the big men, cut to the hoop and slam it down(with Lin getting the assist of course), etc.

Melo will be fine and Lin will onyl get more assists.

Having Melo iso a couple times a game is not a problem since attention will not be focused so much on him now. Lin WILL draw attention wether on the ball or off of it.

Melo is a an iso master, he just gets in trouble when he does it every possession and we have no other play from no PG making plays.

Lin
Fields
Melo
Amare
Chandler

bench: Shumpert, Novak, Jeffries, Harrelson(eventually), Davis (eventually), NOT BAD people

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Bench

Baron
Shump
Fields
Jorts
Giraffe
:peace:

I'd still start either Shump or Fields if NY got JR just to balance the bench out more and for better offensive flow and defensive purposes, Melo, Amare, and JR on the floor at the same I'd save for crunch time.

Baron Davis and JR coming off the bench for the Knicks at the same time would automatically give the Knicks one of the top 5 benches right now.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
It sounds elementary, but Melo work as well as STAT with Lin.

Lin has proven he can feed players; STAT will work wonders, especially since opponents have to worry about Chandler as well. 'Melo can also catch-and-shoot, or more likely, catch-and-cut.

Kiyaman

Legend
Is Melo the problem? on offense hell-no, on defense vs competitive teams yes.
Lin & Melo are not a problem.

Stat & Tyson Chandler poor-gellin has been our 2nd biggest problem.
Stat's career with Dantoni has always been Dantoni's center.
Lastseason Dantoni put center Mozgov in his DNP dog house, and the
Knicks went on a winning streak with Stat scoring 30 points as the Knicks center.

Our number-one biggest problem has been Dantoni's flawed coaching....
Dantoni has been clueless on coaching two guards (PG/SG) to gell together
on offense or defense in the backcourt, he couldnt do it as an interim
headcoach in Denver or before Nash in Phoenix. On the Knicks Dantoni type
of coaching didnt allow for Duhon, Nate, Felton, or Douglas to gell with
another guard in the backcourt by using a stupid JV wide-open offense every
single time on the offensive-end of the court....spreading the floor for one on
one "iso" or 3-ball shooters....Knicks fans should be tired of this same ole-bullshuuut
coaching-play for 4 seasons....I know Stat & Melo is tired of this same pre-kid
coaching after one season.

So dont get happy with these 3 wins....be happy for our bench-players
finally getting a chance to Gell on the court rather than the pine.
Dantoni is being FORCE to give these players playingtime

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Not worried about Melo's iso

He will perform well on a team with a real point guard and ball movement and real defense. He will even perform well in a triangle offense (hint).

I am worried about Melo and Stat's 18 million and Chandler's 13 million, which will make it difficult for the team to keep all of the key pieces (Lin, Fields, Shumpert, Harrellson, amd Jerome Jordan) down the road.

The only real hope is that the salary cap goes way up in coming years, and perhaps the best way to insure this is a currency collapse of the dollar.

He will perform well on a team with a real point guard and ball movement and real defense. He will even perform well in a triangle offense (hint).

I am worried about Melo and Stat's 18 million and Chandler's 13 million, which will make it difficult for the team to keep all of the key pieces (Lin, Fields, Shumpert, Harrellson, amd Jerome Jordan) down the road.

The only real hope is that the salary cap goes way up in coming years, and perhaps the best way to insure this is a currency collapse of the dollar.

The best way to make sure we have enough cap flexibility is to trade Stoudemire and Anthony.

Who needs them anyway??

I don't and I don't want them on the Knicks, never wanted them anyway - atleast not for max. contracts.

skisloper

Starter
The best way to make sure we have enough cap flexibility is to trade Stoudemire and Anthony.

Who needs them anyway??

I don't and I don't want them on the Knicks, never wanted them anyway - atleast not for max. contracts.

getting carried away.......Let the season play-out......these past 3 games the Knicks have played harder then they have in years.....Remember CHANDLER is there to nip the the lazy melo crap or amare stepping away on defense....I expect Chandler to take charge of this team......

AMARE has proven time and time again he can can step up and deal with adversity...he has had some serious injuries to his eye and knees yet adjusts his game.....

Melo...I hope he is in better shape or LIN will be back on defense before Melo is up the court....

IN just a short week we actually have an NBA top team....( once melo and stat return )

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
IMO, There are two things that must happen for Melo to click with his teammates and play within the offensive system that we currently have.

First, Melo needs to make quicker decisions whenever he gets the ball. Decide whether to shoot it or pass to an open teammate. This will prevent his teammates from simply watching him work alone and stand around like lame ducks.

But his "ball-stopping" isolations can come in handy too when he gets hot on offense, as long as he makes the right decision and not try to force up terrible shots. If, and when he catches fire, opposing teams are surely going to double him, creating an opportunity to pass to an open teammate.

Second point, his teammates need to do a better job of finding him in his sweet spots and feed him there. So far in his tenure with the Knicks, no one has really figured out where Melo likes to get the ball and where he is most effective. Billups is the only one who really looked to set up Melo.

Here are two videos that shows how Melo should play with the Knicks. Both videos are from his 08-09 season, where he averaged just around 24 ppg but was more of a team player.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Melo looks a little bit more explosive and quick in those videos. That's the Melo I remember. I swear he just looks a tad bit slower this year. Doesn't look like he was in the greatest shape coming in, hopefully this 2 week rest helps a bit.

gregnb

Rookie
I really think melo will fall in line. Just look at some of amare's tweets hes totally amped up to get back in. I think with tyson and amare seeing how great we're doing will bring melo in line. I just can't see Melo bucking against this and if he does I'm hoping the fans demand he change or they sit him down till he realizes what is going on. But I really don't even think it will go that far. He will play nice!!

fender0577

Rotation player
He'll be fine, just tell him and STAT, to make faster decisions with the ball.That's been our problem, with them this year, i don't mind the ball stopping in there hands, but they just stand their with it, and everyone else, just starts watching them, instead of moving.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Melo had an offense designed for him in Denver the offense isn't designed for him in New York so its pretty much an adjustment, Miami changed their O for LeBron and they started to get better, we've constantly tried to adjust the system for the wrong players, i.e. Fields. Melo will be fine I hope he regains some of his athleticism back, Kobe still jumpin like crazy at 33 so I got faith in my boy, I hope he's still jump-roping, if he does that and work on his abs, he'll get his explosiveness back

nyk_nyk

All Star
This is not even an issue

This thread question is kind of stupid given the fact that prior to Lin Antoni had Melo playing a lot of minutes in at the point-forward role. The difference now is Melo will get better passes off screens and picks and do what he does best... hit mid range shots and attack the basket. He will still get iso opportunities (like many other star players) and continue to do his thing.

Not much to it IMO. Keep it simple stupid.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
MDA's said he'll let Carmelo play some isolation, because this is where he's good at, but he'll have to buy into the system and play more P&R. He'll also take over the point spot with Lin on the bench.