Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: Lin and Landry will be free agents this year

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Superstar KnicksWillRiseAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Lin and Landry will be free agents this year

    As an Early Bird player, Fields can be offered a contract that starts at 175% of his current salary or anything up to the average NBA salary (which is roughly $5 million). They can pay Fields this money without affecting their mid-level exception. However, if Fields just signs a one year deal for anything up to the average salary, then the following season the Knicks will have his full Bird Rights and then can re-sign him to a salary larger than the average salary. It really depends on how well Fields plays the rest of the year to determine what kind of deal he signs.
    Lin, however, is not an Early Bird player since he has only played one year for the Knicks. Therefore, if they want to re-sign him, they would have to use one of the following:
    1. The Non-Bird Exception, where they could pay him up to 120% of his current salary (or roughly $1 million)
    2. The Bi-Annual exception (which is something like $2 million) or
    3. However much of the mid-level (which is roughly $5 million) they would need to re-sign him
    I honestly think that we need to take care of our guys before we go after over the hill aged PGs. Last time we didn't take care of our guys was in 2009 when David Lee was a free agent and we could have locked him up for 3 million a year but instead saved cap for someone who didnt come. Retain Landry for 5 million, and if Lin has a breakout year and averages at least 8 assists then give him the mid level.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,038
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Give Landry the most possible, same for Lin.

    Dolan buys Lin a mansion.

  3. #3
    Superstar KnicksWillRiseAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    Give Landry the most possible, same for Lin.

    Dolan buys Lin a mansion.
    I agree...but then there is old man Nash who has Mike D on a dog collar with a leash :/

  4. #4
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    538
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Why don't we give Lin the 2 year 2.5 million room exception?

  5. #5
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,497
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksWillRiseAgain
    I honestly think that we need to take care of our guys before we go after over the hill aged PGs. Last time we didn't take care of our guys was in 2009 when David Lee was a free agent and we could have locked him up for 3 million a year but instead saved cap for someone who didnt come. Retain Landry for 5 million, and if Lin has a breakout year and averages at least 8 assists then give him the mid level.
    If Lin keeps this up we should sign him to atleast 3 million a year.

    We should def do the early bird deal with Fields and lock him up and then lock up Lin. But to be honest, Lin is more important for the future.

  6. #6
    Superstar KnicksWillRiseAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    If Lin keeps this up we should sign him to atleast 3 million a year.

    We should def do the early bird deal with Fields and lock him up and then lock up Lin. But to be honest, Lin is more important for the future.
    Yeah we can lock them both up and we should. Lin is only 23 and Landry is 24.

  7. #7
    Veteran Wargames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    yeah they got to lock them both up Fields has shown it was a slump and has returned to form. Lin is killing it and might be the PG of the future. It is still too early but he is looking nice.... even locking them up the Knicks should have the MLE next year and won't need to use it for a PG....

  8. #8
    Superstar KnicksWillRiseAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by Wargames
    yeah they got to lock them both up Fields has shown it was a slump and has returned to form. Lin is killing it and might be the PG of the future. It is still too early but he is looking nice.... even locking them up the Knicks should have the MLE next year and won't need to use it for a PG....
    aye watch the fro lol

  9. #9
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by Wargames
    yeah they got to lock them both up Fields has shown it was a slump and has returned to form. Lin is killing it and might be the PG of the future. It is still too early but he is looking nice.... even locking them up the Knicks should have the MLE next year and won't need to use it for a PG....
    Good points...They're both looking like good investments and the right moves to make right now...And btw, that's gotta be the funniest little video clip I've ever seen in my life bro...AMAZING!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,925
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    It's only been 3 games with Lin but I am sold. If we can lock him up for 4 years at 2.5M per with an option in year 3 do it and don't risk him going FA at the end of the year. Yeah his jump shot form isn't perfect, maybe he can't go behind his back to beat a trap, favors going right etc but his skills are solid and we can pick him up for backup money.

    God knows this organization has spent millions on garbage like Jerome James, Curry, Steve Francis etc. they can afford to pay Lin 10M.

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksWillRiseAgain
    Yeah we can lock them both up and we should. Lin is only 23 and Landry is 24.
    I'm still totally in the dark when it comes to juggling franchise finances (especially over the long-term), but I do agree with locking Lin and Fields to long-term contracts. However, from KWRA's first post, it's not possible to offer them a 4+ year contract yet?

  12. #12
    ★KNICKS-TAPE★ NYk_Reloaded718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Queenz, NY
    Posts
    3,317
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Besides our 3 stars

    Keepers
    Fields
    Lin
    Shump
    Novak

    Everyone else can kick rocks

  13. #13
    Nein, Mann! Weissenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam
    Posts
    3,071
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I've seen enough young Knicks player heading elsewhere and getting chance... Jeremy and Landry are our priority now.

  14. #14
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    Besides our 3 stars

    Keepers
    Fields
    Lin
    Shump
    Novak
    Jorts

    Everyone else can kick rocks
    Fixed it for you.

  15. #15
    Superstar NYCLakerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    Besides our 3 stars

    Keepers
    Fields
    Lin
    Shump
    Novak

    Everyone else can kick rocks
    What about Jeffries and Harrelson?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •