Lin and Landry will be free agents this year

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Lin loves it here, were the only team to give him the chance, he's had the games of his life so far in MSG, the fans love him he's having fun.

I dont think he'll leave because of money i think he really wants to be here id be shock if he left for more money, he's a humble kid that just wants to help his team win.

:boohoo: then again we gave shawn williams a chance and he left us for the nets so anything can happen.

Last edited:

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
From what I read, Lin also has a lot of family in NY... another reason he might prioritize NY in general...
don't forget he got CHINATOWN here in NYC aswell :)

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
From what I read, Lin also has a lot of family in NY... another reason he might prioritize NY in general...
don't forget he got CHINATOWN here in NYC aswell :)

i could see him preferring gsw...he said hes been a fan all his life and he grew up there (north cal i think) but obviously they wont be making an offer we cant match

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
IF Lin is going to be our potential Starting PG for the future, who do we look to go after in Free agency?

im thinking we sign a legit SG. Then build up our bench

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
it says we can match any offer, then it says we can go up to 5 mil. which is it?
I'm going to explain you how it works in a much more comfortable way.

There are two possible scenario's that can occur during the 2012 offseason:

Scenario 1:

- Lin signs an offer sheet with an other NBA team.
- we match the offer.
- Lin stays in New York.

Scenario 2:

- we offer Lin a starting salary up to the league's average making use of his early Bird rights (max. $5M).
- an other NBA team exceeds the offer, for example up to $7M/year.
- we match the offer.
- Lin stays in New York.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
I'm going to explain you how it works in a much more comfortable way.

There are two possible scenario's that can occur during the 2012 offseason:

Scenario 1:

- Lin signs an offer sheet with an other NBA team.
- we match the offer.
- Lin stays in New York.

Scenario 2:

- we offer Lin a starting salary up to the league's average making use of his early Bird rights (max. $5M).
- an other NBA team exceeds the offer, for example up to $7M/year.
- we match the offer.
- Lin stays in New York.

In other words... JLin7 is staying in NY.

Good to know we can keep him no matter what thanks to bird rights.

Lin, Landry, Melo, Amare, and Tyson is a great core to build around. The best thing about it is we have young talent mixed with veteran talent and superstars. Thats the most proven combo to win an NBA championship. We have young players with lots of upside like Lin, Shumpert, Douglas, Jorts, and Landry, we have stars in Melo and Amare, veteran grit in Novak, Baron and Jeffries, and the defensive monster in Tyson. We have everything that we need to win a championship EXCEPT the coach...

"Y'all n*ggas call me?"
a_560x375.jpg

Danilo

Benchwarmer
IF Lin is going to be our potential Starting PG for the future, who do we look to go after in Free agency?

im thinking we sign a legit SG. Then build up our bench

Well, considering how well Shumpert and Fields are playing with Lin who are you suggesting would be better? I don't think thats a necessity especially considering the additional price of a good sg.

Paul1355

All Star
We will have 5 million freed up if we do these simple moves

I hope Lin remains humble and won't go for the big money once he is a free agent.

I think Lin will stay regardless of the money.

But we HAVE to trade Balkman, who's contract goes into next year and let go and trade or let go Walker, Douglas, and Bibby to free up some cap room.

If we get Smith then the window will be even closer shut so freeing up money is huge this offseason.

Mike Bibby is 1.3 Mil.
Bill Walker is 916,000.
Balkman is 1.6 Mil.
Douglas 1.4 mil this year and 2.0 next year.

Assuming we get rid of these 4 guys who have no value to our team....we should have about 5 million freed up.

We can sign Fields to whatever we want and go over the cap since we have his Bird Rights.

Lin has to be the main factor here.

If guys like Davis, only if he comes back this year, and Jeffries want to come back then we should give them cheap deals. Not sure if Harrellson's contract is 1 or 2 years but we should bring him back too.

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
If I were Lin I'd take a potentially lower-paying deal with New York but try to work merchandise royalties into the contract. The potential for this kid to be absolutely rolling in it is huge. Playing for one of the biggest markets in the US (NYC) and has a captive audience in the biggest market in the world (Asia). A lucrative endorsement deal can't be far behind for him either if he can perform at even half the level he has shown us these past five games.

Forrest17

Rotation player
If I were Lin I'd take a potentially lower-paying deal with New York but try to work merchandise royalties into the contract. The potential for this kid to be absolutely rolling in it is huge. Playing for one of the biggest markets in the US (NYC) and has a captive audience in the biggest market in the world (Asia). A lucrative endorsement deal can't be far behind for him either if he can perform at even half the level he has shown us these past five games.

He won't have to take a lower deal, if anyone offers anything larger than the 5 million bird rights contract we can offer him then we can just match it because its restricted and have it not effect the salary cap.

Dolan will match any offer, not matter how big...He will not let this kid go. He is Dolans wet dream. The amount of money he will bring in from Asia will most likely be astronomical if he continues to play like he has.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I don't want the knicks to sign him for just a one year deal crap.I want to see him here for a long time b/c I think he is a future pg for years to come.

I don't want the knicks to sign him for just a one year deal crap.I want to see him here for a long time b/c I think he is a future pg for years to come.
Yeah hes a RFA so no matter what he's going to be a Knick. We'll sign him no matter what. The amount of China money he'll make Dolan will be like 50x his contract.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
@KnicksFanBlog: . @NYPost_Berman try harder. Even if Knicks don't have Lin's bird rights, teams are barred from offering him more than $5 million.

No idea why he's saying this but I hope he's right.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Well, it seems Beck from NYT was wrong claiming that the Knicks gained Lin's early Bird rights because he never cleared waivers. It looks that Lin is an RFA without any Bird rights, however we can make use of the Arenas rule:

The Knicks do not own any so-called Bird rights on Lin because he was acquired on waivers. However, they are protected by what is known as the Gilbert Arenas rule. That provision, named for the former Washington guard, adopted in 2005, limits rival teams from offering anything more than the average player salary to a restricted free agent with two years or fewer in the N.B.A.
The Knicks will be able to use their midlevel exception, which is slightly higher than the average player salary, to sign Lin or to match any offer. If no other team tenders Lin an offer, the Knicks can use any part of their midlevel exception or biannual exception to sign him.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/knicks-in-a-position-to-keep-lin/?ref=howardbeck

This still means Lin isn't going anywhere but it seems our MLE is likely gone.

Seba

Benchwarmer
Well, it seems Beck from NYT was wrong claiming that the Knicks gained Lin's early Bird rights because he never cleared waivers. It looks that Lin is an RFA without any Bird rights, however we can make use of the Arenas rule:

The Knicks do not own any so-called Bird rights on Lin because he was acquired on waivers. However, they are protected by what is known as the Gilbert Arenas rule. That provision, named for the former Washington guard, adopted in 2005, limits rival teams from offering anything more than the average player salary to a restricted free agent with two years or fewer in the N.B.A.
The Knicks will be able to use their midlevel exception, which is slightly higher than the average player salary, to sign Lin or to match any offer. If no other team tenders Lin an offer, the Knicks can use any part of their midlevel exception or biannual exception to sign him.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/knicks-in-a-position-to-keep-lin/?ref=howardbeck

This still means Lin isn't going anywhere but it seems our MLE is likely gone.

Exactly. Which means we have to build around the team we have now.
We won't have cap space untill our big 3 is gone, so baring any mayor trades, we will have to keep our team intact for the following 3 years. That means renewing Lin, Fields, Jeffries and possibly Novak and Harrelson. Anyone who can't be replaced with a minimum salary player.