Lin and Landry will be free agents this year

As an Early Bird player, Fields can be offered a contract that starts at 175% of his current salary or anything up to the average NBA salary (which is roughly $5 million). They can pay Fields this money without affecting their mid-level exception. However, if Fields just signs a one year deal for anything up to the average salary, then the following season the Knicks will have his full Bird Rights and then can re-sign him to a salary larger than the average salary. It really depends on how well Fields plays the rest of the year to determine what kind of deal he signs.
Lin, however, is not an Early Bird player since he has only played one year for the Knicks. Therefore, if they want to re-sign him, they would have to use one of the following:
1. The Non-Bird Exception, where they could pay him up to 120% of his current salary (or roughly $1 million)
2. The Bi-Annual exception (which is something like $2 million) or
3. However much of the mid-level (which is roughly $5 million) they would need to re-sign him

I honestly think that we need to take care of our guys before we go after over the hill aged PGs. Last time we didn't take care of our guys was in 2009 when David Lee was a free agent and we could have locked him up for 3 million a year but instead saved cap for someone who didnt come. Retain Landry for 5 million, and if Lin has a breakout year and averages at least 8 assists then give him the mid level.

Paul1355

All Star
I honestly think that we need to take care of our guys before we go after over the hill aged PGs. Last time we didn't take care of our guys was in 2009 when David Lee was a free agent and we could have locked him up for 3 million a year but instead saved cap for someone who didnt come. Retain Landry for 5 million, and if Lin has a breakout year and averages at least 8 assists then give him the mid level.

If Lin keeps this up we should sign him to atleast 3 million a year.

We should def do the early bird deal with Fields and lock him up and then lock up Lin. But to be honest, Lin is more important for the future.

If Lin keeps this up we should sign him to atleast 3 million a year.

We should def do the early bird deal with Fields and lock him up and then lock up Lin. But to be honest, Lin is more important for the future.
Yeah we can lock them both up and we should. Lin is only 23 and Landry is 24.

metrocard

Legend
f1xnvd.jpg

Wargames

Starter
yeah they got to lock them both up Fields has shown it was a slump and has returned to form. Lin is killing it and might be the PG of the future. It is still too early but he is looking nice.... even locking them up the Knicks should have the MLE next year and won't need to use it for a PG.... :afro:

yeah they got to lock them both up Fields has shown it was a slump and has returned to form. Lin is killing it and might be the PG of the future. It is still too early but he is looking nice.... even locking them up the Knicks should have the MLE next year and won't need to use it for a PG.... :afro:
aye watch the fro lol

finestrg

Rotation player
Good points...They're both looking like good investments and the right moves to make right now...And btw, that's gotta be the funniest little video clip I've ever seen in my life bro...AMAZING!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!

tiger0330

Legend
It's only been 3 games with Lin but I am sold. If we can lock him up for 4 years at 2.5M per with an option in year 3 do it and don't risk him going FA at the end of the year. Yeah his jump shot form isn't perfect, maybe he can't go behind his back to beat a trap, favors going right etc but his skills are solid and we can pick him up for backup money.

God knows this organization has spent millions on garbage like Jerome James, Curry, Steve Francis etc. they can afford to pay Lin 10M.

KingCharles34

All Star
Lins obviously worth re-signing, in my opinion Fields is too. I like the way hes been playing, he made a few mistakes tonight but overall hes a good team player. Hes a good passing 2 guard that shoots good and even when his shot is off he can still find other ways to contribute. Its hard to say what his ceiling is, I see alotta talent and potential but i believe that the Knicks and Fields sees himself as a role player. We're probably better off this way, nobody should worry about being a star. Its about playing as a team, going with whats working on a particular night, and at the end of the day just winning games. Hopefully Melo and Stat look to play within the team system too instead of caring about their stats.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Love both Landry and Lin

and can you even imagine how good Lin could be if he learns from Nash for a few years?

I hope that Nash might still want to come here next year, even if the Knicks have traded in D'Antoni for Phil Jackson.

Last edited:

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Yeah we can lock them both up and we should. Lin is only 23 and Landry is 24.
I'm still totally in the dark when it comes to juggling franchise finances (especially over the long-term), but I do agree with locking Lin and Fields to long-term contracts. However, from KWRA's first post, it's not possible to offer them a 4+ year contract yet?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I've seen enough young Knicks player heading elsewhere and getting chance... Jeremy and Landry are our priority now.

I'm still totally in the dark when it comes to juggling franchise finances (especially over the long-term), but I do agree with locking Lin and Fields to long-term contracts. However, from KWRA's first post, it's not possible to offer them a 4+ year contract yet?
I honestly have no idea LOL. I dont know about Landry but we can surly lock Lin up for 4-5 years.